Menu

"Master" bathrooms....wasted space or new resource?

I am slowing looking into moving. The newer houses seem to have the huge bathrooms with 2 sinks, a shower and a jetted up in them. I really don't like them, and think them a waste of space.

Anyone have one and something USEFUL with this area, like something that can go in the tub and be pulled out the twice a year it may be used, etc, and yet not look like a U-Store-It locker?

I'm such an old fuddy duddy. I like small, antique white-walled bedrooms with plenty of closet space and minimalist art work and drapery. It feels decadent to have some sort of Roman bath in one bedroom. I'm even thinking of looking for an extra bedroom and turning a ground floor master into a den....

No ideas for you. Just wanted to say I hate master baths too. I don't need two sinks, the kids do! I also don't like split floor plans, w/ the master on the opposite side of the house. I loooooove my old house, w/ my teeny tiny master bath, and large common bath. Good luck! I love the idea of turning a master into a den btw!

In my opinion, wasted space but great for resale value.

On the plus side I love having two sinks and I love having a vanity. It is such a treat to sit down while putting on my makeup.

On the down side, we rarely use our jacuzzi tub and who needs a bench in their bathroom? I would rather have the extra space in our tiny den (11X11) or in our garage for bike storage.

Oh, I would never give up the two sinks in our bathroom :-)

The big garden tub, however, can go away. We've used it twice in 4 years. We take showers, and we love the large shower...which we could take out the tub and enlarge the shower, but there's a large window over the tub, and it would be way too much re-construction to do anything with it.

Just dust your big ol' tub ever so often--that's what I do with mine:D. Don't store anything any it. Please.

It's turned into the family bathroom - not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Our kids love to use the big garden tub for baths. When ds3 is in there, I'll sit in the bathroom w/a good book to keep an eye on him. They also like the walk-in shower. Other than that, I use the tub to hold a collapsible drying rack for drying clothes-my laundry room is too small.

I LOVE the double sinks. We can both get ready without tripping all over each other. Also, he has more room to keep his stuff and me mine without messes and cramming. Love the big tub and use it almost daily. I'd say I'm up for about a 15 min soak in the tub 4 or 5 days of the week. I used it less when I had it worked up to having to be a big affair. 15 minutes of peace and quiet and relaxing, then I get tired of the heat and quiet and get out. LOVE it. :)

Hope that helps.

I'd be glad to have ANY bathroom, master or otherwise, for hubby and I. We share the only upstairs bathroom (tiny, no counter space - hey - the house is 100 years old!) with the two kids who also have bedrooms upstairs. Downstairs is a powder room into which prior owners squished a tiny shower - the two kids who have bedrooms downstairs use the upstairs bathroom for showers/baths as the downstairs shower is so small you can barely turn around in it.

I am slowing looking into moving. The newer houses seem to have the huge bathrooms with 2 sinks, a shower and a jetted up in them. I really don't like them, and think them a waste of space.

Anyone have one and something USEFUL with this area, like something that can go in the tub and be pulled out the twice a year it may be used, etc, and yet not look like a U-Store-It locker?

I'm such an old fuddy duddy. I like small, antique white-walled bedrooms with plenty of closet space and minimalist art work and drapery. It feels decadent to have some sort of Roman bath in one bedroom. I'm even thinking of looking for an extra bedroom and turning a ground floor master into a den....

Dh and I spent 14 years in a 1000 house with a bathroom so small you could barely turn around. He didn't share well with me...:) I used the extra bedroom (before ds came along) for my make-up and hair time. Closet space was a nightmare. Then we bought a house twice as big. More than twice. And one of the things I LOVE about our house is the relatively larger Master Bedroom and Bath. By some of the big house standards it isn't so grand, but compared to our first house it is. Our bedroom is about 15 X 17 and our bathroom has a small walk in shower, a jacuzzi tub with a big window over it, and a small walk in closet (twice as big as our first house closet). Dh now co-habitates nicely with me in the bathroom. I sit on the edge of the tub in the mornings while he gets ready so we can talk. I do use the tub, but not the jets..the noise bugs me. I like the big tub though.

Sooooo......while I wouldn't give up adequate living space for my bedroom and bath....I do so love it.

And resale almost demands a decent master bedroom and bath.

We like our double sinks because we keep receipts, photos, jewelry, and other essentials spread out on the counter between them. ;) I use my garden tub two or three times a week in the winter. In the summer, we hang swimsuits in it. The walk-in shower is used daily and is great for when my mom-in-law is visiting.

We moved from a 1000sf house with one bath to a house with 2.5 baths. I love my master bathroom and wouldn't trade it for anything. Ours only has one sink, but we have the large shower and also jetted tub. I love being able to have my make-up etc. in a place where it won't get bothered. I can have my feminine items out where they won't embarass my sons. Ditto for being able to hang-dry my booKshelves.

We've lived here 3 years and I use my jetted tub quite a lot, at least once a week. The only thing I would do differently if we were building this house again is rearrange the layout so we could have a larger jetted tub.;)

I can't image not having a master bath. Even our 1100sq ft condo had one in the late 80's. Depending on where you live, it is expected for resale.

Ours has his/hers sinks with storage underneath each, which is very useful and time saving. I would stick with a master bath if it were my decision.

No, no, I'm not talking designing a house, I'm talking about perhaps having to buy one with one of these huge baths in it already and I won't use it! More to clean! Wasted space! Hubby and I keep very different hours so I wouldn't even shower there....I'd go where I wouldn't wake him. I don't wear makeup! I only use a sink to wash hands after BR and to brush teeth.

My folks always had a sink and toilet in their bedroom, and maybe a shower, but not the kind I see in subdivisions.. I know I may be doomed and thus am wondering if anyone has done anything else with them.

Lol... I thought we were the only ones who used the large garden tub to wash the dog :lol:

We have two sinks and separate vanities. Something I would not like to give up. It makes getting ready in the mornings a lot easier. If I were to redesign our bathroom. I would take out the garden tub and use that space as a large linen closet :001_smile: We can always use more closet space in our house.

I don't understand the new master bath sizes, either.

We have a master bath that is normal bathroom size, and I love it. While I'd like for it to have a *little bit more room for a walk-in shower, I have no real use for an enormous tub or empty square footage.

If I had an extra large master bath, I'd probably put my treadmill in it!

I had a small master bath--hated it.

Dh and I always seem to be in it together dueling for the shower, sink and potty. He shaves when I need to spit out tooth paste, etc.

Soo when we moved into this house with the master bath with dual sinks, a bathtub and shower it was heavenly. I don't mind that the potty in in a small room with it's own fan and door either.

I use my giant tub weekly. I can fit 3 youngsters in an once. AND supervise the girls going through the shower. :) I get in the tub too for a nice soak. It's heavenly.

I'm not ready to trade my big bathroom for a tiny closet. Perhaps one day the "season of life" will be ready for that again.

Thank you! I look at house plans or new house pictures and all I can think is, "Sheesh. And that space could've been used for a library."

Of course everything gets reframed in terms of books with me...

:lol::lol::lol: Our possible new house has both. :) I know what you mean, though, when it comes to books!

I am surprised that more people aren't enjoying their master baths. That was 1 of 2 reasons that we didn't want to buy the house we are currently renting. Our master bathroom is so small. DH does not share the bathroom and there is no counter space for my hair stuff and makeup (and y'all know I've got a lot of that!) So, to answer your question, yes, that was an important factor in the house we have been looking to buy. I love the idea of a long soak in the tub. :)