Menu

kids these days .....

MyThreeSons

I teach Physics at our homeschool Co-op. I have established a class Edmodo discussion board where students may discuss homework problems with each other and I can chime in to help out.

This afternoon, one of my students posted a question about a problem she was struggling with. Her brother, who is also in the class, replied, "I'm downstairs in the living room. I can show you." 

• Like 23

My two oldest Skype text with each other. Sometimes when they are in the same room! Crazy!

I have texted children who are working in our office before. If they have music on and the door is closed, it is just easier than walking up 2 flights of stairs and down the hall.

It's a new age.

• Like 1

I text my older two and husband when we are all in the same house and I need them to do something.  Sometimes my daughter will text me to ask me to have one of her little brothers (too young for phones) grab something for her.  I think it's pretty much "people these days..."  Texting is super convenient.  I resisted it a long time, but I love it now.

• Like 1

Dd and I use iMessage a lot - her iPod, my iPhone. It's often when we're lying in bed, and the house is quiet, as we go to sleep much later than dh and ds. I wanted her to delete all our messages the other day in an attempt to fix an iMessage problem and she refused - apparently they're funny and she likes to look back at them.

Ds has just started iMessaging and gets very irritated when I reply verbally. He loves the idea of texting.

• Like 1

Dd and I use iMessage a lot - her iPod, my iPhone. It's often when we're lying in bed, and the house is quiet, as we go to sleep much later than dh and ds. I wanted her to delete all our messages the other day in an attempt to fix an iMessage problem and she refused - apparently they're funny and she likes to look back at them.

Ds has just started iMessaging and gets very irritated when I reply verbally. He loves the idea of texting.

I don't know if there is something similar for an iphone, but I use sms back up and it sends all my texts to my gmail in a folder, they don't come into the inbox.

You know, I'm kind of impressed/irritated that so many of you are able to so reliably get ahold of your children with phones. My kids have phones and every time I try texting or calling I wonder why I'm paying for them. Anyone else have this issue?

Oh and one time I was at this small group bible study thing with three other couples and my husband and I had some minor disagreement and he said, "Yes, I told you this! Didn't you get my email?" The other couples laughed and said they would never have said such a thing. They never emailed or texted (this was about ten years ago) and their communication was always done in person. Weird huh? ;)

• Like 1

You know, I'm kind of impressed/irritated that so many of you are able to so reliably get ahold of your children with phones. My kids have phones and every time I try texting or calling I wonder why I'm paying for them. Anyone else have this issue?

Yes. :glare:

Ds1 is pretty good about his phone but there was a transition point where before he usually had his phone on Silent. I can't remember when he started paying more attention to his phone. I think it was after he moved to his own apartment. He's back home now but the phone attentiveness hasn't waned.

Ds2 is another story. He keeps his phone silent. If I go out and he's the oldest one home I have to remind him to turn the ringer on or put the phone where he can see it light up. We have no land line at home. And yes, we've had to give him the "I'm paying for your phone for *my* convenience, not yours, so I'd better be able to reach you" talk a couple times.

Adults do this as well.  Years ago when I worked people would call or e-mail within the same building.  Even if they were only a couple of cubes away.  I always thought that was weird.

Well, the thing about email is that you have a record of exactly what you communicated, whereas if it's done verbally, there can be disagreement about what was said. 

• Like 2

Adults do this as well.  Years ago when I worked people would call or e-mail within the same building.  Even if they were only a couple of cubes away.  I always thought that was weird.

As MyThreeSons pointed out: it is about having a record. For most work related issues, I want to make sure there is a permanent record of the request/conversation/memo.

And then there are things where I am careful not to use email but rather walk from colleague to colleague to discuss the issue in person, precisely so that there be no electronic record of it :-)

• Like 1