Menu

Not so common Thanksgiving recipes??

helena

What do you make, like to eat, want to cook one of these years, that's not your typical turkey, mashed potatoes, etc. etc. dishes?

I'm bringing a few typical things to Thanksgiving dinner, but I'd like to try something different as well. I cook vegan, but many dishes are easily converted. 

How about a festive, unusual dessert? 

What does common or unusual mean??? I'll leave that up to you. :) My family just did the annual tamale party for the holidays, common to some, unheard of to others. 

Neither of these are that unusual because my family is decidedly in the traditional camp for Thanksgiving. 

I make a cranberry salsa that everyone usually really likes. You can eat it like regular salsa with chips as an appetizer. I also like it on turkey. 

I also make a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting that is very good. I think it stands out more on Thanksgiving which is usually the pie holiday. 

I've become a big fan of making a fool for dessert, it might be interesting to try a cranberry fool. 

• Like 1

We have traditional pumpkin pie for dessert, and another dessert which is the choice of SweetChild, who has a birthday on or near Thanksgiving. So it could be Jello (homemade withunflavored gelatin and  juice- she can't have food dyes) or banana cream pie.

If it was just the 5 of us, we'd have boxed stuffing, jarred gravy, instant potatoes, canned cranberry jelly, and canned chicken or deli-sliced turkey. Since I don't often make "boxed" foods like that, the convenience foods are actually a treat. Plus none of us enjoy spending hours in the kitchen cooking and then washing dishes by hand- so it would all be served on paper plates with plastic silverware.

• Like 3

Neither of these are that unusual because my family is decidedly in the traditional camp for Thanksgiving. 

I make a cranberry salsa that everyone usually really likes. You can eat it like regular salsa with chips as an appetizer. I also like it on turkey. 

I also make a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting that is very good. I think it stands out more on Thanksgiving which is usually the pie holiday. 

I've become a big fan of making a fool for dessert, it might be interesting to try a cranberry fool. 

Ha! I asked my husband if he liked fool and he thought I meant ful, the Lebanese fava bean dish. :) 

He loves ful, and is more than happy to try fool. It looks so yummy! 

Watching videos right now on how to make it...

Here's a fall fool: http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-home-baking-rec2-20130921-story.html 

Where we used to live Dominos pizza was open on Thanksgiving.

We moved and now have to get it the night before. It still tastes good on Thanksgiving. :)

I wouldn't mind hunkering down by the fireplace to watch movies all day and eat mushroom jalapeño pizza.  :drool5:

We have traditional pumpkin pie for dessert, and another dessert which is the choice of SweetChild, who has a birthday on or near Thanksgiving. So it could be Jello (homemade withunflavored gelatin and  juice- she can't have food dyes) or banana cream pie.

If it was just the 5 of us, we'd have boxed stuffing, jarred gravy, instant potatoes, canned cranberry jelly, and canned chicken or deli-sliced turkey. Since I don't often make "boxed" foods like that, the convenience foods are actually a treat. Plus none of us enjoy spending hours in the kitchen cooking and then washing dishes by hand- so it would all be served on paper plates with plastic silverware.

Yeah, if it was just us, I'd love one of those complete meals you can order at the specialty market. As long as it was vegan and not health food-y. :) This particular market also has beautiful paper plates and cups. I'd like those too! :)

• Like 1

Last year or the year before I made Angel Pie for Thanksgiving as an option.  I didn't think most people would want it, because it's got a meringue crust and is very sweet, though also refreshing because of the lemon filling.  It was such a hit that when I arrived at Christmas with the dessert assignment, the first thing my uncle said to me when I got there was, what did you bring?  And when I mentioned that I had made Angel Pie again, he said, Oh good!  

I think it's become an instant tradition.

Not really that uncommon, but I don't really care for marshmallows, so I make a yam dish with no marshmallows, it has a crumble topping and I double the crumble topping or half of it gets eats and ALL the topping is gone because people dig for it!   :laugh:

Off to google - that sounds delicious!

Cranberry, pecan, feta salad

1 cup candied pecans,  2 T red wine vinegar,  1/2 t Dijon mustard

1/2 t sugar, 1/2 t salt,  pepper to taste,  6 T olive oil

6 cups mixed salad greens, rinsed and dried

3/4 cup dried cranberries

1/2 medium thinly sliced red onion

crumbled feta cheese

Combine the vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper and mix til dissolved. Whisk in olive oil.

In a salad bowl, toss together the greens, cranberries, pecans, onions, and cheese. Drizzle with vinaigrette, and toss gently to coat.

• Like 1

Not really that uncommon, but I don't really care for marshmallows, so I make a yam dish with no marshmallows, it has a crumble topping and I double the crumble topping or half of it gets eats and ALL the topping is gone because people dig for it!   :laugh:

We don't eat marshmallows on sweet potatoes either. Please tell me more about your crumble topping! It sounds like a great addition to my Thanksgiving plans.

None of us is big into turkey, so my sister will be making brisket this year. Hers is the only I've ever had outside of the state of Texas that's as good as what you get in Texas!  

We'll also be making a brussel sprout bacon Gruyere gratin, because it's my goal in life to make the most fattening vegetable dish ever.  

Dessert has to be pumpkin and pecan pies, though.  Has to be. 

She says she used a recipe like this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/home-sweet-potato-home-au-gratin-recipe.html

And subbed out the nutmeg for a hot chili powder, but used more than 1/4 tsp, added in some diced jalepeños, added a bit less than a cup of pepper jack cheese to the potato mixture and used pepper jack instead of cheddar for the gratin part.

I'm sure you could use any recipe and make those changes if that particular one doesn't appeal to you!

• Like 1

I go pretty traditional (although we don't eat much meat, so we go vegetarian traditional), but one yummy and slightly different thing I make every year are squash rolls. They're yeast dinner rolls with squash and are delicious with the dinner, but even better the next day for breakfast toasted up with butter and jam or to make small thanksgiving day sandwiches. One of my favorite parts about thanksgiving dinner!!

One of my favourite unusual things to have on Thanksgiving is the cranberry bread from the FIAR book, Cranberry Thanksgiving.  Dd made it every year for quite a few years.  

My kids are teens and I still make Cranberry Thanksgiving bread almost every year (missed for the first time last year).  I bought the cranberries last week. :)

Some years I make a regular size loaf; other years I make 3 mini loaves.  Once I made muffins and that worked fine too.

I am thankful for the easy availability of gluten-free flour; the bread turns out great.