Menu

Pet warming pads

alisoncooks

Do you have one that your pet loves?

Our 14-yr d chihuahua is getting a bit stiff and he's often cold. I was thinking of picking up 1-2 warming pads. I've mostly looked at the self-heating (not electric or microwaveable) pads/blankets; I figured they may be safer? Apparently those are crinkly, though...?

I'd like one for his bed (which is on the floor and getting chilly this time of year) and one to keep in our living room on the couch -- so I need them to be affordable.

Do your pets use a warming pad? Recommendations?

Little dogs look adorable in sweaters. :)

If you can get him a cushy bed that is better insulated, that might make him more comfy, too. They make really nice "cots" that elevate the bed off the floor. We use them at our vet hospital and they are awesome.

(Kurunda is the brand we use -- kurunda.com -- because they are virtually indestructible and easy to clean, but that might be more than you need for home use. But you can look at them to get an idea of what I'm talking about. We use them alone for chewers or with some soft bedding on top for dogs that don't chew. Either way, they get the dog off the cold floor and are much more comfortable than a hard surface with or without bedding on top.)

• Like 1

I just bought this pet bed for our cold cat.   He likes his old basket and didn't "warm up" to the new bed for a few days, but he must have discovered that it's magic!  Now he loves it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YIIJGM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1681J2FMN70VX24J4TF2&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

• Like 2

We need something for our Chi too. I just saw an advertisement for the Kitty Shack and I'm going to see if they have it in the As Seen on TV section at Walgreens or Bed Bath and Beyond.

Sweaters don't work very well for our dog because before he was rescued someone had a VERY tight collar on him and he coughs when anything presses on his throat.

• Like 1

I just bought this pet bed for our cold cat.   He likes his old basket and didn't "warm up" to the new bed for a few days, but he must have discovered that it's magic!  Now he loves it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YIIJGM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1681J2FMN70VX24J4TF2&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

That looks awesome!

This is our chi-mutt's first winter, so we're still trying to figure out what works best for him.

Not to hijack but, since it's on topic, does anyone have recommendations for sweaters/coats that run itty bitty?  Like, a size smaller than standard XS?  Preferably with a hole for a harness.  Our guy is so tiny we have to use ferret harnesses instead of the smallest doggy harnesses.

• Like 2

Try GWLittle. They have the best tiny dog supplies. Expensive but high quality. They were the only ones carrying xxxs harnesses when we needed one. Since then we've learned that if you google the manufacturer name you can often find a lower price for the same item, but I still start with GWLittle.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions!

He doesn't love sweaters (and somehow, when he goes outside, he tends to get pee on them...)  :confused1:

I'm not really looking for a new bed.  We have bought him fluffy, nest-type beds, but he just goes back to his current set-up (we have an orthopedic foam pad, with a fleece crate pad and fleece blanket on top).

I'm mainly thinking those blankets/pads that reflect body heat -- I was wondering if anyone has experience with them (and if the crinkling bothers your animal).  I think they're advertised as "cat pads" but my dog is cat-sized, so... 

I'm mainly thinking those blankets/pads that reflect body heat -- I was wondering if anyone has experience with them (and if the crinkling bothers your animal).  I think they're advertised as "cat pads" but my dog is cat-sized, so... 

Yes, I've used those types of pads for both a cat and my Chi-mix. These are the ones I used. I was very happy with them. They washed well, lasted for years and years, and didn't crinkle. I used them on top of a regular bed, because they really don't have much padding on their own, although they are furry and soft. My dog and my cat both seemed to love lying on them, but when I felt them after they got up, they only seemed a little warmer than a regular blanket would be. 

My dog had severe arthritis at the end of his life, and the absolute best thing for him was an inexpensive heating pad for people. I tucked it under a blanket or fleece pad, and I think it really helped him with his pain and stiffness. Of course, it's something you need to keep an eye on, and I'd never try it with a chewer. I preferred one without auto shut off so it stayed warm continually.

Yes, I've used those types of pads for both a cat and my Chi-mix. These are the ones I used. I was very happy with them. They washed well, lasted for years and years, and didn't crinkle. I used them on top of a regular bed, because they really don't have much padding on their own, although they are furry and soft. My dog and my cat both seemed to love lying on them, but when I felt them after they got up, they only seemed a little warmer than a regular blanket would be. 

My dog had severe arthritis at the end of his life, and the absolute best thing for him was an inexpensive heating pad for people. I tucked it under a blanket or fleece pad, and I think it really helped him with his pain and stiffness. Of course, it's something you need to keep an eye on, and I'd never try it with a chewer. I preferred one without auto shut off so it stayed warm continually.

Thanks.  

Do you mean an electric heating pad?  Our boy isn't a chewer (unless he thinks you're hiding food in something, then all bets are off)...but I worried about the temperature getting too hot...

No great ideas, I just want to send some love to your dog.

Our chihuahua didn't like sweaters either, but when she was about 15, she came to love the sweater off of one of DS's teddy bears. It was not made for dogs, but she adored it. The only one she'd wear. No neck pressure - sort of a wide turtle neck. So maybe if you see something unusual, it might work.

Hugs to your pup. Winter can be hard on old chis, it's great that you're going to keep him warm and toasty.

Thanks.  

Do you mean an electric heating pad?  Our boy isn't a chewer (unless he thinks you're hiding food in something, then all bets are off)...but I worried about the temperature getting too hot...

Yes, an electric heating pad that you plug in. Ours didn't get too hot, but I monitored it carefully at first and kept it covered with another blanket, too. I wouldn't use it in a crate or with a non-mobile animal, because they wouldn't be able to get off if it did get too hot.

ETA: Your little guy is adorable.

I have that and my animals like it. However, I just bought a 4 watt electric bed from the same company and the bed linked above now sits empty. It doesn't heat up until the critter gets in and lays down.

No great ideas, I just want to send some love to your dog.

Our chihuahua didn't like sweaters either, but when she was about 15, she came to love the sweater off of one of DS's teddy bears. It was not made for dogs, but she adored it. The only one she'd wear. No neck pressure - sort of a wide turtle neck. So maybe if you see something unusual, it might work.

Hugs to your pup. Winter can be hard on old chis, it's great that you're going to keep him warm and toasty.

Aw, thanks!

Our boy is "big boned" (i.e. possibly mixed) -- he's around 10 pounds, so not teeny tiny.  But he still gets those chihuahua-shakes. ;)  

• Like 1

I am following this for our chihuahua mix girl. We are in Southern California and even here she does get the cold shivers. She used to tolerate a fleece jacket when she was a puppy but not any more. We have tried many different designs and fabrics and she will just stand there paralyzed.

• Like 2

We actually used farrowing (pig) warmers.  They worked great for under the pillows and are quite safe.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/farrowing-heat-pads

You might be able to find them on Craiglist pretty cheap.  My parents used to do farrowing so that's how we ended up with them.  They are meant to be power sprayed clean and are practically not chewable.

• Like 1

We have tried many different designs and fabrics and she will just stand there paralyzed.

Ours does this -- which is an improvement on what he used to do!   When he was a puppy, he'd pull his front legs in -- and then just topple over sideways and lay on his side until we picked him up and undressed him...  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 3

Yes! We have the Snuggle Safe pad from Amazon and our 60 lb dog loves it. We have a cheap microwave, so I have to heat it for 4.5 minutes, but it does stay warm all night. We've had it 1.5 years and used it 90% of the nights since we've owned it. The cover is washable and you can purchase replacement covers if you need to do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Snuggle-Safe-Pet-Microwave-Heating/dp/B00008AJH9

• Like 2

Ours does this -- which is an improvement on what he used to do! When he was a puppy, he'd pull his front legs in -- and then just topple over sideways and lay on his side until we picked him up and undressed him... :001_rolleyes:

I am laughing at the picture of your dear little one doing that but I know it can be equally frustrating. Sometimes they can be so silly for their own good!

Yes! We have the Snuggle Safe pad from Amazon and our 60 lb dog loves it. We have a cheap microwave, so I have to heat it for 4.5 minutes, but it does stay warm all night. We've had it 1.5 years and used it 90% of the nights since we've owned it. The cover is washable and you can purchase replacement covers if you need to do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Snuggle-Safe-Pet-Microwave-Heating/dp/B00008AJH9

I am so glad this worked for your dog, and I know lots of animals love it, but my 15-lb. little guy found it to be way too hard.

I am so glad this worked for your dog, and I know lots of animals love it, but my 15-lb. little guy found it to be way too hard.

It is hard! When Luna was that size, we wrapped it in one of my sweatshirts. She never did lay on it; she mostly just snuggled her head next to it. Now, she puts her nose under it sometimes or curls up with it at her back.