Menu

How does Landry Academy compare???

With Landry's $49/semester sale for generic credits...it is very tempting. I was planning to use WTMA or Wilson Hill...next year planning on just a writing/English course, but for 2017 maybe more classes. How do Landry English, science, math and history in particular stack up to say Wilson Hill or Veritas or WTMA? At that price, it is hard to pass up, but if the other schools are significantly better, I am willing to make it happen.

Christian worldview in particular with science and history are very important. We plan to continue with VP self paced history eventually doing Omnibus self paced. Wilson Hills Great Conversation classes are very interesting to me...(WTMA would only be a consideration therefore for writing and math).

What would I be sacrificing if we used Landry? I am fairly sure if everything cost the same I would choose WH....but $100 for a class is super tempting....

Help me work this out!

I don't know where you are located, but on the west coast I have had a hard time finding time slots that will fit with our schedule. I think some of the classes look like they would be a great addition to our schooling, but of all the online providers they have the worst scheduling for the Pacific time zone. Just something to consider if it applies to you. I'd have a hard time purchasing advance classes because of it. I would never know if any classes we want would actually be doable.

• Like 1

Guest Tamara71

I can really only speak for Landry....my son has taken one class with them so far and he has loved the class and loved the teacher (Intro to Astronomy). I already have some generic credits to use for the 2016-17 school year. If anyone is planning on putting a group together for the $49 semesters for 2017-18, please let me know. They are saying this is the last time the price will be this low! :001_smile:

Tammy

If this upcoming bulk sale is like previous ones, you have to buy almost $4k of credits the first round.  They it drops as time passes on the sale.  If they sell enough of these early credits they won't open up the lower levels.  The email today was clear they won't do this again, and if they sell out, they sell out.  So you can't be sure you can wait to just buy 5 you know?  

My kids are doing Landry classes this year.  I have no used other places. I have only heard good things about Wilson Hill and Potters School.  Seems like one person I knew did a WTMA class, but I don't recall her using them again this year.  

Being that life changes, and you can't be sure of anything in the future, I wouldn't personally shell out that much for generic credits.  I think you would be better off trying to find someone trying to unload their credits and score a deal.  Or buy it...but you may be the one trying to sell in the future if you end up not wanting to use them later on.  

As for our classes this year:  one is on par with what I wanted/expected.  The other is WAY TOO MUCH WORK for the grade levels offered.  It should have been a high school class with warnings about the work level and access to searching the internet.  My kid is in the lower end of the grade range and doesn't have free rein online, so it's been a lot of work to help her have that access to get assignments done.  It's been frustrating.  One assignment I reread over and over.  We finally agreed to do it the way it sounded.  It was wrong.  A big D for my kid.  She was bummed.  She asked about it nicely, but wasn't given a chance to redo it.  Being that I was the one who read it and understood it a certain way I wasn't happy.  We just did another one like that and got it right, but it was HARD.  My only complaint so far is how much work this class is and it was labeled as 6-12th grade.  It is clearly a high school level class!  My kid loves the class and wants to do another year.  But we will be dropping something else to give her more time in that class.  

Also, with Landry, you can look at the full year classes this year to get an idea of books used.  I don't like their math choices.  I was ok with the English stuff.  I think you have to consider what curriculum they use before buying bulk credits.  While I would love to use them for more subjects, the book choices aren't going to work for many classes for us personally. 

Good luck deciding.  

• Like 1

I can really only speak for Landry....my son has taken one class with them so far and he has loved the class and loved the teacher (Intro to Astronomy). I already have some generic credits to use for the 2016-17 school year. If anyone is planning on putting a group together for the $49 semesters for 2017-18, please let me know. They are saying this is the last time the price will be this low! :001_smile:

Tammy

:iagree:

I got the email that 2017-2018 will be the last time for the group $49 semesters.

If anyone is going to buy them, please post or let me know. I would be interested in buying some classes too.

Thanks!

With Landry's $49/semester sale for generic credits...it is very tempting. I was planning to use WTMA or Wilson Hill...next year planning on just a writing/English course, but for 2017 maybe more classes. How do Landry English, science, math and history in particular stack up to say Wilson Hill or Veritas or WTMA? At that price, it is hard to pass up, but if the other schools are significantly better, I am willing to make it happen.

Christian worldview in particular with science and history are very important. We plan to continue with VP self paced history eventually doing Omnibus self paced. Wilson Hills Great Conversation classes are very interesting to me...(WTMA would only be a consideration therefore for writing and math).

What would I be sacrificing if we used Landry? I am fairly sure if everything cost the same I would choose WH....but $100 for a class is super tempting....

Help me work this out!

Trinqueta has done 11 classes with Landry. I haven't had a dog yet and some have been excellent. I was very impressed with their English IV class last year. It was a good mix of lit, grammar, vocabulary and writing. It is not really comparable to Writing with Skill at WTMA. WWS is strictly a writing class while English IV is a complete English class. T did both concurrently and it wasn't overkill.

T is currently doing the high school chem class. It uses Spectrum Chemistry and a lab kit from Home Science Tools. She was well prepared by the PRe-chem class she took in the May intensive. There is an opening prayer and T's teacher is also a Lutheran minister but there's not much religious content in chemistry.

I've avoided the regular math classes because we find Saxon boring but T did the Prealgebra Review in a May intensive and loved it.

T has done two years of Spanish and Latin and I've been pleased with all four classes. The one caveat is that there may not be enough oral practice if the parent doesn't speak the language and you don't use the office hours for extra practice.

We wouldn't use their history classes because they use BJU. That's could be a plus for others.

Overall I've been very pleased with Landry and I might choose them for some classes even if they cost as much as other options.

• Like 1

Looking at potentially English, science, math, and Spanish or some mix thereof...one question I have is how these classes are only one time a week. Does that mean I would still be very involved? If so, that seems to defeat the purpose a bit. FWIW my oldest is very motivated, independent, and responsible in schoolwork.

Looking at potentially English, science, math, and Spanish or some mix thereof...one question I have is how these classes are only one time a week. Does that mean I would still be very involved? If so, that seems to defeat the purpose a bit. FWIW my oldest is very motivated, independent, and responsible in schoolwork.

It's really going to depend on the child and the class.  I have two that do their assignments without much oversight, and two that need more of my time.  It also depends on how open and helpful the teacher is with office hours.  We've had some wonderful teachers that are very helpful, and some that aren't.  We have had good luck with the English classes, and DD is taking an upper level science this year that she is enjoying.  We are dropping one class this year because of the level and material focus.  

I did a group buy this last year and have a good number of generics banked right now, so I'll have to sit down and add up what we might use to see if I need anymore, but I would be cautious in buying to many.  We like many of the online classes from other providers more, because my kids tend to do better with more than one meeting a week for certain subjects.  There are also classes I won't use because of the particular text chosen.  In certain areas I'm willing to spend more to get more, if that makes sense.  

For reference we have used/use many providers including Landry, AIM, WTMA, Blue Tent, Liberty Tutorials, Jann in Tx, AoPS, Circe, Athena, Mr.G (Currclick), Cybershala, and OnlineG3. (Hopefully I got them all.)

I am involved even though T is motivated and responsible. She still needs my help to see the work for the whole week and break it down into chunks. She needs me to remind her to keep on schedule and not let things pile up. Sometimes she needs me to talk her down when she  finds an assignment difficult.

We both like online classes because they keep us on schedule. We can't get behind, we can't go off on rabbit trails and we know exactly how much work needs to be done to consider the subject covered (this is almost never the entire text book). T likes to have outside teachers. It motivates her to work hard and make a good impression.

However, you do lose flexibility. You can't just take a week off. You can't modify an assignment. Sometimes there are a couple of large projects due the same week. Sometimes you don't understand the instructions. You're no longer in charge of your daily or weekly schedule. For us this works, but it might drive you crazy. If you've never used outside classes, I wouldn't buy more than 4 generics per kid. Trying out 2 year long classes in different subjects is a good idea, planning out high school in a format you haven't tried yet could be a disaster.

• Like 1

If cost is a primary concern, yes, the Landry generics are a great deal. We are using WTM academy, Wilson school, CTY, AoPS and potter's school in the next 12 months. If I can find a decent secular option, i go with that first. The landry biology intensive was one of my kid's favorite classes. I bought too many generics though and gave some away...

I too would be interested in a group buy for $49.

I have been debating signing up for a Spring 2016 class, so I have spent too much time reviewing their course options.  They seem to have a great selection of electives, and classes that go beyond the basics.  For $49, it seems like a great way to add fun classes if the core classes do not work (i.e., digital photography, art history, space studies, etc.)

I could hardly buy curriculum for that price!  I also just bought some generics for the Spring 2016 from another individual, so even if I do not use them - for $49 they would be easy to resell in the future.

I too would be interested in a group buy for $49.

I have been debating signing up for a Spring 2016 class, so I have spent too much time reviewing their course options. They seem to have a great selection of electives, and classes that go beyond the basics. For $49, it seems like a great way to add fun classes if the core classes do not work (i.e., digital photography, art history, space studies, etc.)

I could hardly buy curriculum for that price! I also just bought some generics for the Spring 2016 from another individual, so even if I do not use them - for $49 they would be easy to resell in the future.

It's a great price, but you still have to buy the books on top of that...so still not cheaper than doing it yourself ...

If cost is a primary concern, yes, the Landry generics are a great deal. We are using WTM academy, Wilson school, CTY, AoPS and potter's school in the next 12 months. If I can find a decent secular option, i go with that first. The landry biology intensive was one of my kid's favorite classes. I bought too many generics though and gave some away...

Just curious with you already having generics paid for, what made you choose to use the other schools?

Just curious with you already having generics paid for, what made you choose to use the other schools?

If there is a secular option, I'd almost always take that over landry. Secondly, I am interested in specific classes at the various online providers; the geometry class at Wilson Hill, two specific semester long classes at WTMA. I bought generics thinking DS would take the year long physics class at Landry but then discovered a WTM member offer a similar class so i'd rather that. potter's school offers AP French, Landry does not. Etc. Lastly, we are not homeschooling high school, so there's a limit to how many classes we will take in the next two years.
  • Like 2

If there is a secular option, I'd almost always take that over landry. Secondly, I am interested in specific classes at the various online providers; the geometry class at Wilson Hill, two specific semester long classes at WTMA. I bought generics thinking DS would take the year long physics class at Landry but then discovered a WTM member offer a similar class so i'd rather that. potter's school offers AP French, Landry does not. Etc. Lastly, we are not homeschooling high school, so there's a limit to how many classes we will take in the next two years.

Thank you! There is so much wisdom and experience on these boards. I would love to know all the hidden gem classes and teachers to look for! I am pretty certain we will do WTMA for WWS 1 next year, but after that....it's a whole big world of online classes! :lol:

Thank you! There is so much wisdom and experience on these boards. I would love to know all the hidden gem classes and teachers to look for! I am pretty certain we will do WTMA for WWS 1 next year, but after that....it's a whole big world of online classes! :lol:

Speaking of teachers, that is a pet peeve of mine with Landry.  You can sign up for a class on the premise that the wonderful teacher everyone has spoken well of will be teaching the section, only to find out that they have changed the teaching schedules after registration is over.  Life happens, I understand that, but I do wish they would have a committed list.  I'm sure it's difficult to do when your registering for fall in January. :) I'm hoping this is changing in the coming years as they seem to be getting a better handle on departments and consistency amongst staff, so hopefully that will trickle down to less turnover and more commitment.

Ugh!  I just realized how little time before registrations begin to open for the 2016-2017 school year.  I swear is sneaks up on me every time!

• Like 1

I've blogged about Landry before, so at the risk of blog pushing there is more info there. (I'm on my phone, so this will be short.)

We're taking our first three classes with Landry this fall. They've all been excellent. Each really surpassed my expectations. I even stalked sales and bought enough genetics for the next few years.

If you have a Lego mindstorm kit that is gathering dust - the EV3 class is FABULOUS. If you're already a Lego League family it may not be as helpful, but for my son who had a kit but was overwhelmed by it, it's been EXCELLENT.

• Like 3

I've blogged about Landry before, so at the risk of blog pushing there is more info there. (I'm on my phone, so this will be short.)

We're taking our first three classes with Landry this fall. They've all been excellent. Each really surpassed my expectations. I even stalked sales and bought enough genetics for the next few years.

If you have a Lego mindstorm kit that is gathering dust - the EV3 class is FABULOUS. If you're already a Lego League family it may not be as helpful, but for my son who had a kit but was overwhelmed by it, it's been EXCELLENT.

I'm intrigued by the good reviews I have heard out of Landry, especially with the group buy going on, but is my Jewish kid going to be really out of place in their classes? Are there any classes that we should definitely avoid? Does anyone know the quality of their foreign language classes?

I'm intrigued by the good reviews I have heard out of Landry, especially with the group buy going on, but is my Jewish kid going to be really out of place in their classes? Are there any classes that we should definitely avoid? Does anyone know the quality of their foreign language classes?

IMHO, I would avoid them if I wasn't at least culturally Christian. It's one thing for my not very religious, but still Catholic, dd to go along with the prayers and Christianspeak, it would be a completely different matter for someone who is actively a member of a different religion. All of the language classes include memorization of Bible verses (some are OT, but at least half are NT), the lit classes often ask discussion questions that presuppose a knowledge of Christianity and the biology is creationist. If you would not consider sending your child to an academically excellent b&m Christian school, you should avoid Landry. If you would consider a good parochial school, you can probably make Landry work especially since you can pick and choose the classes you enroll in.

Their foreign language classes meet for 1.5 hrs once a week. They also offer office hours once a week. This is fine if you can provide extra practice outside of class or if you're taking Latin. IMHO, It's not enough if you are relying on the class for oral practice. OTOH, they are so much less expensive than other options that they may the only live class that many people have access to. If that's your case, they are vastly better than trying to learn from tapes and videos with no live teacher.

You can judge how religious a class is likely to be by looking carefully at the materials it will use. They stick closely to the textbooks because they need to cover a lot of ground and expect the students to read the assignments before they get to class. I've never been blindsided by unexpected religious content in the 10 classes that we've done with them.

• Like 4

IMHO, I would avoid them if I wasn't at least culturally Christian. It's one thing for my not very religious, but still Catholic, dd to go along with the prayers and Christianspeak, it would be a completely different matter for someone who is actively a member of a different religion. All of the language classes include memorization of Bible verses (some are OT, but at least half are NT), the lit classes often ask discussion questions that presuppose a knowledge of Christianity and the biology is creationist. If you would not consider sending your child to an academically excellent b&m Christian school, you should avoid Landry. If you would consider a good parochial school, you can probably make Landry work especially since you can pick and choose the classes you enroll in.

Their foreign language classes meet for 1.5 hrs once a week. They also offer office hours once a week. This is fine if you can provide extra practice outside of class or if you're taking Latin. IMHO, It's not enough if you are relying on the class for oral practice. OTOH, they are so much less expensive than other options that they may the only live class that many people have access to. If that's your case, they are vastly better than trying to learn from tapes and videos with no live teacher.

You can judge how religious a class is likely to be by looking carefully at the materials it will use. They stick closely to the textbooks because they need to cover a lot of ground and expect the students to read the assignments before they get to class. I've never been blindsided by unexpected religious content in the 10 classes that we've done with them.

This is super helpful. Yeah, there is no way I'm having my kids memorize the NT. Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this.

My kids are fine with the English, with the understanding that the worldview being taught doesn't align with ours and that they are expected to be respectful (MCT and Lightning Lit).  DD is taking upper science and hasn't had any content that I would find troublesome, although one should expect creationism/intelligent design in any of their biology classes.  The upper level texts are Campbell (Biology), Brown (Chemistry), and Giancoli (Physics).  Elementary and middle school level sciences are all creationism based texts to my knowledge. Languages and History tend to be BJU.

This is good to know. We are doing the raspberry Pi class as that is also gathering dust. My DS competed and team got second in our tournament, but he touched the robot not once after the competition was over. Sigh

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much for asking this.  This is exactly the info I was searching for today.  I have been looking at the classes and was about to buy a semester from someone, but I was curious how my Jewish son would fit into the classes and how much Christian content there was in the classes.  I saw the reply to your post and it looks like we will have to be skipping Landry's.  :(

• Like 1