Menu

Am I missing something?? Diabetic cookbooks.

Moxie

I'm convinced their goal is to have everyone on as much insulin as possible. The cookbooks are terrible and full of crap.

The Low Carbing Among Friends cookbooks are a much better idea - great recipes from numerous contributors and very friendly for folks with blood sugar issues.

I haven't found a standard Diabetic Cookbook recipe that I can eat without making my BG hit at way above  the levels I want.  The American Diabetes Guidelines are jut waaay to broad for maintenance- at least for me.

I've had better luck looking selectively at Paleo or Atkins type cookbooks.   I can only consume about 10 grams of carbs per meal and those types of books give me more options that a Diabetic cookbook which doesn't come close. 

• Like 2

We've found that any cookbook that shows the nutrition facts for each recipe so we can calculate our own carb points is more than sufficient for DH's diabetic needs.  He'd rather eat a half serving of something that actually tastes good than a full meal based on most diabetic cookbooks, and I'd rather cook something whose ingredients don't have to tracked down at some specialty store.

I have a diabetic friend who lives this way too. I don't get it. I think it's that he thinks diabetic means "no sweets" and "carbs alone aren't meals, try for some plants or protein with them" -- which, I'll admit is better than *not* following that advice, but it's not exactly the peak of health.

Agreeing that these are based on horrible recommendations. My grandmother was diabetic and given a list of specific things to eat. Her nighttime snack was Graham crackers and orange juice! In general mainstream diabetic diets are low fat, high starch carbs, and lots of artificial sweeteners. They recommend low fat ice cream which is massively higher carb than regular ice cream.

• Like 3

Agree!!! Diabetic cookbooks are the worst - full of fake sweeteners, carbs, and junk food.

Go for a low-carb cookbook, or do it one better and research paleo. You can add in things to recipes much more easily than you can take them out.

• Like 2

I don't have any cook books, I simply google for recipes using the search words vegan, paleo, vegetarian, gluten free.

I have found quite a few winners and made my own cookbook of keeper recipes.

The diabetic specific cookbooks are horrible. All those artificial sweeteners and too many carbs.

Low carb and high fiber is what works for my dh.

Honestly most so-called diabetic recipes are crap.

My least favorite being the "no sugar added" bs where the recipe has all of or variations of:

RealFruit juice

Honey

Real maple syrup

And so forth. People. I sorta want to smack you when you offer me "no sugar" pie and look at me like I am the dumb one for pointing out that those things are sugar.

Oh and the follow up of "but it's *natural* sugar!" Makes my little hope for humanity's logic skills die.

Sugar cane is a plant. A real plant found in nature.

But it's processed!

Yeah. So is that real honey, fruit juice, and syrup.

Heck. Cooking food is processing it.

I actually had an argument with someone who is brittle diabetic type 2 and adding 1/4 cup of lemon honey to the unsweetened tea I gave her. I was agast and understandably worried and tried to politely and nicely explain why to her but she was adamant that honey is not sugar and she never has sugar anymore but it doesn't matter bc her blood sugar levels are still crap.

Just. Ugh. *smh*

Anyways.

If you search whole30 and paleo you will find lots of meals that are diabetic friendly.

• Like 2

I don't have any cook books, I simply google for recipes using the search words vegan, paleo, vegetarian, gluten free.

I have found quite a few winners and made my own cookbook of keeper recipes.

The diabetic specific cookbooks are horrible. All those artificial sweeteners and too many carbs.

Low carb and high fiber is what works for my dh.

I have extremely few cookbooks for the same reason.

I have the well fed cookbooks.

A reference cookbook from good housekeeping when I got married. It has lots of tips and how to info that was nifty to just getting started.

Oh and it's not a cookbook but the crockpot 360 blog had a lot of great healthy simple recipes.