Menu

s/o recipe help needed for ground chicken burgers!!!!!

sheryl

A while back I found a ground chicken burger recipe.  It's awesome except for 2 areas in which I need your help!

1.   It calls for fresh, chopped mango which I like and it gives it a unique flavor.   BUT, it increases the moisture content thereby causing it to NOT hold together when pan fried or grilled.  I do NOT want to remove that ingredient but hopefully something can be added to increase firmness in texture.   Taste of that other ingredient will be important.   It will need to absorb or dry it out a bit and not make it taste bland.

2.  I prefer ground chicken over ground turkey.  I think it's more flavorful.  However, it does NOT have the "fat" content/taste of ground beef.

I'd like to add some "full fat" flavor to the ground chicken that is lacking b/c it's not beef.

So, what ideas do you have?  I'll send the recipe later so you can look at the ingredients.  I need to find it.

Thanks.   

I think this is it and they indicate this recipe is moist and burgers may fall apart, but still I'd like to keep this recipe in tact and address my points above! 

Caribbean Mango Chicken Burgers  

Recipe type: Burger
Cuisine: American & Caribbean
Author: Snappy Gourmet - Lisa Huff
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Serves: Makes 4
A healthy Caribbean twist on burgers!
Ingredients
  • 1 pound lean (99% fat free) ground chicken
  • ¼ cup plain yogurt
  • 1 cup fresh mango, finely chopped
  • â…“ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • â…“ cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons fresh jalapeno, (seeds & stems removed) minced
  • 1½ teaspoons Caribbean (or Caribbean Jerk) seasoning
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
  • 4 rolls
  • Toppings (optional): Monterey Jack cheese, lettuce, mango, onion slices, yogurt/mayo
Instructions
  1. Place chicken in a large mixing bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix together yogurt, mango, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, Caribbean seasoning, garlic, and lime zest until well combined. Gently stir yogurt mixture into chicken being careful not to overmix and compact meat. Form into 4 patties.
  2. Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray (or use a little oil to coat bottom of pan) over medium-high heat. Place patties in pan and cook about 3-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
  3. Place chicken patties in rolls and top with desired toppings.

What if you put thinly sliced mango on top when you serve it?

For other chicken burger recipes, check Rachael Ray's site. I really like a version of her spanakopita burger (spinach, feta, lemon) and a buffalo version with tiny chunks of cheddar. Oh, and one with ham and Swiss and dijon mixed in is good too. I'm bad about looking at a recipe and throwing parts of it into a bowl, so I know I didn't follow them.

For the fat, if you use regular ground chicken instead of the 99% fat free, it's much better tasting. The 99% is very tough and dry IME. Chicken breast isn't supposed to be ground and cooked like that, and it doesn't work texturally for me either.

• Like 1

What if you put thinly sliced mango on top when you serve it?

For other chicken burger recipes, check Rachael Ray's site. I really like a version of her spanakopita burger (spinach, feta, lemon) and a buffalo version with tiny chunks of cheddar. Oh, and one with ham and Swiss and dijon mixed in is good too. I'm bad about looking at a recipe and throwing parts of it into a bowl, so I know I didn't follow them.

For the fat, if you use regular ground chicken instead of the 99% fat free, it's much better tasting. The 99% is very tough and dry IME. Chicken breast isn't supposed to be ground and cooked like that, and it doesn't work texturally for me either.

Oh, I get that now.  I've been using ground chicken breast.

Are you saying just regular white AND dark meat grounded?

I'd like to keep mango inside as it will be absorbed into the entire burger with other ingredients.

Oh, I get that now. I've been using ground chicken breast.

Are you saying just regular white AND dark meat grounded?

I'd like to keep mango inside as it will be absorbed into the entire burger with other ingredients.

I buy ground chicken in a package from Publix under their Greenwise label. I would guess it's more dark than light meat because the breasts sell better when they cut up the chicken parts.

You could spread the mango chunks on toweling to absorb some moisture. If you add some (start with 1/4 cup) plain breadcrumbs (Panko maybe) and a beaten egg, that will bind the burger and add fatty mouthfeel. Be careful not to over mix it. Try shaping into patties and refrigerating for at least 30 minutes before cooking. They may hold together better then.

If you're avoiding bread, plain almond meal might work.

• Like 1

Remember a few weeks ago, somebody posted for recipes using chia seeds? Well, because of that post, I googled chia seeds and discovered something that completely changed my meatballs - you can use chia seeds as a binder!

2 tsp chia seeds, unground, to 1 pound of meat, let sit for 15 minutes. It helps hold the meatballs together, and I bet it will help hold your patties together as well. And unlike more traditional binders of flour, or oats, or breadcrumbs, you need very little, so you retain most of the flavor of the meat and whatever else you added.

Because you're using so much other stuff in your patties, I might try as much as a full tablespoon of chia seeds, or maybe add a *small* amount of breadcrumbs or coconut flour to round it out. Perhaps an egg?

• Like 3

I would probably just add a binder to help it hold together, an egg, bread crumbs crackers crumbs or something along those lines.  For more fat flavor, I wonder if you either add a little coconut oil to the recipe or melted some in the pan if that would help.  I think the coconut flavor would go well with what flavors are already in the recipe.

• Like 2

Wow,  these ideas are excellent.  Maybe I'll leave out the onions and those can go on top.  Also, maybe cut back on the yogurt...?  And, the jalapeno I'll have to leave out and dh and dd don't like overly spicy foods.  I'll put a ring or two on top for mine!

zoobie, i'll try absorbing moisture from the mango.  and, I like the idea of panko or almond meal.  freezing.  all good ideas.

tanaqui,  I LOVE the idea of chia seeds.  I eat them almost daily by sprinkling whole seeds on to my lettuce salad.  This is that creative twist.  I was thinking whole, old-fashioned oats but did not want to change the taste with them.  Chia is a great alternative. 

Stephanie,  love all of these ideas!  Would I use the egg AND coconut oil, or just 1 of them?

I wouldn't cut back on yogurt, personally I find that dairy products work well with chicken and holding in the moisture.  I would probably only change one or two  things at a time and see how it affects things.  If you change too much at once it will be harder to see what is affecting taste/texture issues.

I would probably start with adding an egg, it will help bind and won't affect the taste drastically.  I always add oil to the pan when frying things (we use only grassfed beef which is very lean so I have to add something to the pan) so I think you could add that to the pan to prevent sticking and add the egg and see what you think.  Make changes as needed.

• Like 1

Have you tried grinding chicken thighs?  That's my favorite for chicken meatballs, and chicken thighs gross me out.  I try to dump them into the food processor without looking at them.

And I would definitely form the patties and stick them into the fridge for a while before cooking.  I am surprised that isn't suggested in the recipe; all of my veggie or fish burger recipes seem to.  

As for ingredients, maybe some cooked quinoa would hold it together.  My favorite veggie burger recipe has a lot of quinoa in it, and I always look at the very crumbly freshly-mixed ingredients and swear there is no way they're going to hold together, and then I form them into patties, and they do.  I don't know if it is the quinoa or the magical combination of quinoa with other ingredients, but googling "quinoa as a binder" pulled up several enthusiastic recommendations.

• Like 1

plansrme,  thanks for that!  I'd love for you to send me your veggie burger recipe.  chicken thighs - no, I eat only the breast but as p.p. mentioned I may get regular ground chicken which is a combo of that dark meat and white. 

going back to the veggie recipe, i'd love a good one using quinoa, black beans and julienned carrots, etc, perhaps.

I'd substitute two lightly beaten egg whites for half of the yogurt, and I would tear (not cut) a piece of toast into small bits and soak it in the egg whites for about two minutes before mixing in the other ingredients.  Those would bind the whole recipe together quite well.  Also, for more flavor I would double the amount of red onion, but I would mince it up very finely.

• Like 1

I'd add an egg, substitute sour cream for the yogurt, and switch to dried mango. Any one of those should help. I have a turkey/feta/sun dried tomato recipe that works really well. Lemme check it and see why it holds together . . .

I'm back . . . Here's the ingredient list. The yogurt and lemon are in a sauce that goes on top and breadcrumbs and egg are involved. It's not remotely dry.

7 oz. plain greek yogurt $2.98

1 medium fresh lemon $0.32

¼ tsp minced garlic $0.04

¼ tsp dried dill $0.02

1.25 lb. ground turkey $4.78

6 halves sun dried tomatoes $0.66

1 medium red onion $1.04

2 oz. frozen spinach $0.27

¼ cup crumbled feta $0.41

1 tsp dried oregano $0.05

½ tsp minced garlic $0.04

â…“ cup bread crumbs $0.11