Menu

Easy casserole or food dish to take/share

BlsdMama

with a large group of people?

I already have dessert covered. I was debating between something like lasagna or something like the cold veggie pizza appetizers with cream cheese?

Suggestions welcome.

Mexican Layer Dip

Greek Layered Dip

Mini hotdogs or sausages wrapped in dough (taste fine at room temp). We mix catsup and mustard together for a dip.

Pinwheels...Any fillings. I like ham or turkey with cheese and honey mustard.

• Like 1

It seems more and more people bring desserts, appetizers, or take-out to pot lucks. I always feel compelled to contribute to the FOOD side of the table since that goes first and you're left with 5000 cupcakes. In the interest of full disclosure, you should know that I brought cheap, nasty, drive-through pizza to a potluck over the weekend. It was important to DS that pizza be there :-/.

One of the easier dishes I take is penne with sausage and peppers. I use hot Italian sausage because it seasons the whole dish. I just mix together:

A pound of undercooked pasta

A pound of cooked Italian sausage (hot)

A colorful pepper cut into strips

Half an onion cut into very thin strips.

A jar of pasta sauce

A can of diced tomatoes

A bag of shredded mozzarella (save some for the top)

(Add ricotta, fresh herbs, spinach . . . whatever moves you. It's forgiving.)

I lightly oil a disposable foil pan, dump the mixture in, and top with cheese. Then I put foil on top and bake until bubbly. (Make sure it's not too dry or too soupy before leaving the house.) I wrap the whole thing in towels for transport. You can bake it in your crockpot crock if you need to keep it plugged it. People dig it and you can prep in the time it takes to cook the noodles. I bake the sausage because I'm lazy like that. I never have any to bring home.

• Like 1

My clam dip is very popular.

1 can of clams, drained, juice reserved

8 oz cream cheese

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp white pepper

3 tbsp. clam juice

2 tsp Worchestire sauce

2 tsp lemon juice

Mix with a fork.  Chill.

Serve with barbequed potato chips, ruffles, and/or wheat thins

Make a double recipe.  You'll be glad that you did.

• Like 1

The hardest thing is that we have a family with (airborne) onion and garlic sensitivities - so that makes it a challenge to make savory things.  I don't know how to cook without these two items!!!! 

Looking at the pinwheel suggestion:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/234569/bacon-cheddar-pinwheels/?internalSource=search%20result&referringContentType=search%20results

Minus the onion?  Because, well, BACON.

The hardest thing is that we have a family with (airborne) onion and garlic sensitivities - so that makes it a challenge to make savory things. I don't know how to cook without these two items!!!!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/234569/bacon-cheddar-pinwheels/?internalSource=search%20result&referringContentType=search%20results

Minus the onion? Because, well, BACON.

That looks good...you could also sub tortillas. Cheaper and less work (no cooking).

• Like 1

I make baked spaghetti in a huge dish since I feel the need to bring lots of food since my family is big and they all eat alot.

I make 2 pounds of whole wheat pasta, cook as normal.  Dump in large casserole dish.  Add one pound of cooked meat of your choice (I use hamburger or italian sausage).  Dump in 3 jars of jarred spaghetti sauce.  Stir together.  Cover with a layer of mozzarella cheese.  Bake at 350-425 (depending on how fast you want it done and how good you are at monitoring it closely) till cheese is melted and bubbly.  Even though it's so simple I never have any leftovers.

• Like 1

I make baked spaghetti in a huge dish since I feel the need to bring lots of food since my family is big and they all eat alot.

Yes!  We're taking challah, because the older girls want to make it, a strawberry dessert - for middles and littles to make, and then I wanted easy finger food or something with meat to fill everyone up!

You guys are great.  I actually think I'm going to print this thread off for future ideas for going places!

Thank you SO much.

Poppyseed Chicken is always my go-to. 

This is curious and requires a recipe! :D

Curious? No. Try divine. :) 

Poppyseed Chicken 

4 chicken breast, cooked and diced - seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder; pan fried in butter (Some people just boil the chicken, but this gives it much more flavor)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

8oz cream cheese, room temp

Topping: 

1 1/2 sleeves Ritz Crackers, crushed 

1 stick butter, melted 

1 Tbsp poppy seeds

Mix diced chicken breast, cream of chicken soups, and cream cheese until combined. Place into greased 9x13 dish. 

Combine crushed crackers, melted butter, and poppy seeds. Spread over the top of the chicken mixture. 

Bake 350* until golden brown, 20-30 minutes. 

Definitely low fat.  :lol: 

• Like 3

I have an easy side that gets rave reviews. Loaded baked potato casserole. You mix a bag of frozen shredded hash browns with 2 cups of shredded cheddar, 2 tubs of sour cream (16 oz) 2 bags (3 oz.) of real bacon bits, and a package of ranch dressing mix. Bake at 350 for an hour. It's always gone fast!

• Like 2

The hardest thing is that we have a family with (airborne) onion and garlic sensitivities - so that makes it a challenge to make savory things.  I don't know how to cook without these two items!!!! 

Minus the onion?  Because, well, BACON.

Ah, that makes things really hard and eliminates pretty much everything suggested. We have garlic/onion allergy in the family also. Thank goodness it isn't airborne for ours! I hate to say it, but our allergy guy usually resorts to just eating PBJ and lots of desserts. If he couldn't even have it in the air, I have no idea what he would do.

Seven layer dip and a couple bags of tortilla chips. I made it once for a friend of mine who had just lost her grandfather. The family said they loved having something that they could just put on the table and not have to put in the oven. After that, when there was any kind of potluck, people would tell me I had to bring it. :)