Menu

What kind of "milk" is a good substitute for dairy and soy?

Per allergy testing results, I am supposed to cut out dairy and soy.

What kind of "milk" (rice? almond? hemp? something else?) works well for cooking, and is plain better than flavored in this case? What about for drinking?

There are so many choices... if anyone can give their preferences, even down to the brand name, I'd appreciate it!

Is goat milk ruled out as well?

I'd try goat milk for cooking if it's allowed. Meyenberg makes a powdered version that is more cost effective than buying it in quarts. Other than that, my kids drink enriched vanilla rice milk. I don't touch the stuff myself :tongue_smilie:. For cooking, you'd want to go with plain rice milk.

I've used rice milk in baking (plus soy, but I can't have that, either), but often I bake without milks now and simply use water--there are other ways to make baking work and taste good without them. It's hard to find a ready made nut milk that is simple enough for our dietary needs, although you can make it yourself (I haven't bothered.) Oats are out for us, so we haven't tried oat milk.

I water down canned coconut milk.

I used to make almond milk, but dh reacts to almonds as well as soy and cow's milk, not to mention gluten intolerant (oat milk is out), so we're getting more and more creative here. And I think goat's milk tastes like my knitting yarn.

We just purchased Almond Milk but I was suprised by the low protien content. We bought the Blue Diamond brand and the protien for an 8 oz. serving is 1 gram. The calcium is 20% of daily requirments. Nutritionally it is not the same as milk.

My kids both love the taste though. :001_smile:

We mostly use almond milk. I used to buy the Pacific brand but then I started making our own. Grind 1 cup of almonds in a blender with 4-6 cups of water (the less water you use the creamier the milk) then pour through a sieve into a glass jar. You can sweeten it with a pinch of sea salt, some maple syrup and some vanilla if you want. I usually use it plain unless I am drinking it straight in which case I like to add a dash of cinnamon too. BTW almond milk is FULL of calcium and much better absorbed than cow's milk.

Wow everybody, thank you! I forgot to say that goat milk is out too.

I am going to start with almond I think...

Something you may wish to consider is alternating which type of "milk" you use. Just this year I have developed an anaphylactic allergic reaction (that's the serious kind where you need an epi-pen) to almonds, which I've eaten with impunity for over 40 years. It's helpful not to overdue the more highly allergenic foods, and nuts are some of those. Also, nuts come from a number of different food families, so even alternating which type of nut milk might help, but I suggest alternating it with rice milk, oat milk, water, etc. We don't make mashed potatoes anymore, but I would think nut milk would be the best choice there.

I am also a believer in coconut milk: the "classic" variety, not "low fat". Coconut oil is the only vegetarian source of saturated fats, and is an excellent source of EFA's. While products like rice milk are basically just water and starch, coconut milk adds a valuable nutrient to your diet. Plus it's yummy :001_smile: