Menu

Is Alton Brown Kid-Friendly?

Alicia64

Alton Brown -- the foodie science guy -- is going on tour in '16. His show looks interesting: Eat Your Science! I assume it's fine for kids, but wanted to check.

My boys are 12, but we avoid f bombs. They've seen a few PG-13 movies, but maybe just two.

Do you think Alton is okay for the little kids like 7, 8, and 9?

Thanks!

Alley

Good Eats is G-rated. We went to his first live show (2009-ish?) and it was great, but I did not see many children at all. It was smart and funny, but it was a date night for me and DH. (It started at 8, and I want to say it didn't end until after 10?) My kids love Good Eats but wouldn't have appreciated the live show at age 7. Probably not 9. They're night owls even but that would've been unpleasant. His FB page would be a good place to search/ask people who have been to the more recent shows. I would not worry at all about f-bombs, but it simply may not be a show aimed at children.

Yes, kid friendly, not only in that he doesn't swear* or anything like that, but also because he has a goofy sense of humor. And he includes science in his show, which is unusual for cooking shows.

One thing I like is that he does not focus on complicated recipes, but tells you many simple, pretty much foolproof ways to cook whatever food is his topic for that day. He also includes a bit about the history of the food.

* Do not let your kids near Gordon Ramsay. Dysfunctional people, constant swearing (not blipped out in the British version), and put downs. Fun for adults, inappropriate for kids, imo. Alton is pretty much the opposite, comes across as a good coach or favorite teacher, supportive and encouraging.

• Like 2

He goes to my church. So, I would imagine so.

Is he back to attending? There was an article about him being on a leave. Anyway, I know many people who go or have gone to JFBC who curse a blue streak. ;) Alton does not, or not in his shows. He's very professional even when being goofy.

• Like 1

Is he back to attending? There was an article about him being on a leave. Anyway, I know many people who go or have gone to JFBC who curse a blue streak. ;) Alton does not, or not in his shows. He's very professional even when being goofy.

Curious about this as well. You and I must have read the same article. He also recently got divorced.

There are articles about his church-attending habits? Poor guy!

• Like 6

It was an interview. He mentioned that he was no longer attending the church he had been attending (gay rights, I think??). I'll try to find it.

• Like 1

The one I thought of initially was a really interesting profile of him by Atlanta Magazine. It had pictures of his (or his ex's now?) redone house off the Marietta square. He discussed the influence of religion on his life, being born again, at odds with church doctrine on drinking alcohol, etc. It wasn't a gossip rag story. Time did a story on him that involved a discussion of religion in late 2014, but it's behind a pay wall. I saw it either on his Twitter or FB account. It was something he brought up publicly of his own volition. I believe it was a disagreement with church/SBC doctrine, but I can't find it now to cite.

I have some friends that saw him live, and they said he made some marginally racist comments, that didn't sit well with them. But I can't verify any of that. They were really dissapointed, they loved him before that, from watching Good Eats. They also said he seemed kind of condescending in the live show. 

We went to the live show two years ago.  It was fun, and I'm glad we went. But we were expecting more.  There were a lot of references to the tv show, imo, that we would have missed if we weren't regular watchers.  The live show seemed to go by pretty quickly, and not because it was so fantastic that time flew.  Again--I'm glad we went.  I wish I hadn't hyped up the live show so much, because we had very high expectations and walked away thinking, "So that was it."  I typically have a better time when my expectations are low.  (You know how that goes!)  But it was a fun night out, I'm not trying to discourage you.

I took my son to see him live about two years ago.  The live show is not Good Eats, but it's far from inappropriate for 12 year olds.  My son was about 14, and he loved it.  My friend took her son the same night, and he was only about 8, and he loved it.  The showtime is rather late for little kids, unless they're super enthusiasts (like my friends ds).  But, for a 12 year old boy who likes cooking and likes fart jokes, it's a blast.  

• Like 1

I saw his live show last year.  There was some strong language in his opening bit, but no f-bombs, reference to sex or drugs.  There were young kids in the audience.  He was quite condescending to his audience volunteers and gave them a very hard time.  Other than that I think tweens would love the humour and gags.