Menu

Dr. Hive - bizzarro allergic reaction??

Matryoshka

Dd had a really weird allergic reaction this evening, and I'm wondering what the heck...

I've had her allergy tested, and as far as I know she's allergic to bees/wasps, and slightly to dust (watery eyes level), but nothing else came back positive.  (they tested for all kinds of allergens).

But she just got some new gloves at Kohl's, and she went to an outdoor Halloween event tonight and wore them for the first time.  Her hands swelled up like giant Frankenstein hands.  She had to come home from the event.  I wasn't home at the time; dh gave her Benadryl.  I got home a couple of hours later, and her hands are still really swollen and puffy (but she says much less than before).  She still can't close her hands or bend her fingers much.

It must be some kind of contact allergy??!!  The gloves are some kind of synthetic, with loopy fabric inside.  She's never had any kind of reaction like this to anything before.  I gave her more Benadryl when she went to bed...  

It's just so strange!  Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them or their kids before??  Should I be watching for any kind of delayed reaction?

Did the gloves get washed before she wore them? Could be a reaction to whatever chemical they were treated with. I have reacted similar to some clothing before.

They were not washed. Some kind of chemical is also my best guess. She's never been sensitive to anything before. .. can these kinds of sensitivities just show up, or we've just never come across clothes treated with whatever nastiness is on these gloves?

I would guess it was a reaction to one of these:

Wool

spandex or rubber

cotton

nylon 

formaldehyde.

Any of them could appear in the glove.  If you have the tag that lists the fibers used, make sure to snip it and save it in a medical file.  If she has another reaction, it could help you trace the reaction. 

(((hugs)))) allergies suck!

• Like 4

They were not washed. Some kind of chemical is also my best guess. She's never been sensitive to anything before. .. can these kinds of sensitivities just show up, or we've just never come across clothes treated with whatever nastiness is on these gloves?

Unfortunately, yes, they can. But, they do not test for everything when they do allergy testing. Just the more common stuff.

• Like 1

For three straight summers my daughter had similar reactions to her new bathing suit for the year. Now she washes her suit in hot water 5 or 6 times before wearing or she uses regular clothes. She reacts to shin guards for soccer the same way. as soon as she puts them on her whole leg swells. She also has pressure hives, so if a pair of socks are too tight or if she puts a hair band around her wrist her feet or hands will turn red, swell and itch like crazy. It's pretty pitiful.

Her allergist said they don't really test for stuff like that except latex. So diagnosed her with chronic idiopathic urticaria and suggest a daily Claritan and occasional steroid.

I would guess it was either a reaction to one of these:

Wool

spandex or rubber

cotton

nylon 

formaldehyde.

Any of them could appear in the glove.  If you have the tag that lists the fibers used, make sure to snip it and save it in a medical file.  If she has another reaction, it could help you trace the reaction. 

(((hugs)))) allergies suck!

Thanks.  It's definitely not wool or cotton - the stuff on the inside of these gloves is 100% synthetic.  I hope it's not nylon or spandex, 'cause those are in everything!  I'm kind of hoping it's something like formaldehyde or some other mysterious chemical goop they treated them with.  Unfortunately, the tags say nothing.  Just the company name, no fiber breakdown. :glare:

I sent her off to school this morning; her hands are still puffy, though better than last night.  I told her to go see the nurse and tell her what happened.  Not sure if she'll be able to do much writing today with her hands like that.

For three straight summers my daughter had similar reactions to her new bathing suit for the year. Now she washes her suit in hot water 5 or 6 times before wearing or she uses regular clothes. She reacts to shin guards for soccer the same way. as soon as she puts them on her whole leg swells. She also has pressure hives, so if a pair of socks are too tight or if she puts a hair band around her wrist her feet or hands will turn red, swell and itch like crazy. It's pretty pitiful.

Her allergist said they don't really test for stuff like that except latex. So diagnosed her with chronic idiopathic urticaria and suggest a daily Claritan and occasional steroid.

Good to know.  Guess I'll have to start making sure I wash everything before she wears it the first time - I'll admit I'm not very good about that; no one here's ever had a problem before...

Okay, so dd just found the tag from the gloves with the fabric content.  Guess she had ripped it off....

They're 98% polyester, 1% spandex, and 1% rubber.  Gah.  It's probably the rubber, isn't it . :sad: (there's spandex in everything, including most stretch jeans, no? - so I'm thinking that's much less likely...).  Gah.  I do not need a latex allergy! 

We have an appointment with the allergist on Weds, so at least we can figure out if it's latex or not..

Okay, so dd just found the tag from the gloves with the fabric content.  Guess she had ripped it off....

They're 98% polyester, 1% spandex, and 1% rubber.  Gah.  It's probably the rubber, isn't it . :sad: (there's spandex in everything, including most stretch jeans, no? - so I'm thinking that's much less likely...).  Gah.  I do not need a latex allergy! 

We have an appointment with the allergist on Weds, so at least we can figure out if it's latex or not..

At least with the label you have a bit more to go on.  Hugs.  I know that must have been scary AND frustrating for her (and you).  :grouphug:

If you can avoid more benadryl, you are more likely to be able to have testing on Wed. You may already know the antihistamines interfere with skin tests. Perhaps the allergist will order a RAST blood test. I can't seem to find allergists that do those except as follow ups to get numbers on a skin test positive! Hopefully you will get an answer somehow.

My hubby developed an anaphylactic allergy, and a weird one at that, at 36 or 37. He didn't have any allergies prior. So anything can happen.

I do hope it's not latex! FWIW, my son has had skin reactions to clothes not pre-washed several times. His brother reacts to non latex adhesives. Maybe it isn't latex.

It doesn't mean it is the latex. They very well have not listed chemicals used on the fabric as part of the fabric. Also, pretty sure spandex is also a form of latex. So, if she is allergic to one, she is allergic to the other. One of my girls has a latex allergy. (Hers isn't extreme, but she does react.) She can wear things with spandex as long as it is still encased. If the fabric encapsulating it starts breaking down, she starts reacting. She also reacts very strongly to formaldehyde. It gives her seizures. It is lovely.

It doesn't mean it is the latex. They very well have not listed chemicals used on the fabric as part of the fabric. Also, pretty sure spandex is also a form of latex. So, if she is allergic to one, she is allergic to the other. One of my girls has a latex allergy. (Hers isn't extreme, but she does react.) She can wear things with spandex as long as it is still encased. If the fabric encapsulating it starts breaking down, she starts reacting. She also reacts very strongly to formaldehyde. It gives her seizures. It is lovely.

I looked up spandex vs latex. Latex is from the rubber plant. Spandex is 100% synthetic. It said sometimes they'll mix some latex in with the spandex (as they seem to have done with these gloves) but that spandex alone is not cross-reactive.

I'm still really hoping it's some chemical and not the latex...

I looked up spandex vs latex. Latex is from the rubber plant. Spandex is 100% synthetic. It said sometimes they'll mix some latex in with the spandex (as they seem to have done with these gloves) but that spandex alone is not cross-reactive.

I'm still really hoping it's some chemical and not the latex...

Ah! Just looked it up too, because dd has definitely had difficulties with it. You are absolutely correct. And, the recommendation tends to be to avoid Spandex because there is often/usually latex around if spandex is in there. Which would explain dd's problems with it. Or, she could be allergic to the Spandex; she's allergic to pretty much everything else anyway.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon!

allergy testing seldom tests for chemicals.  there's a reason many sites recommend washing new items before using.

there was probably a chemical finish on the yarn and it was that to which she reacted.

there is something that  works better than bendryl for allergic reactions triggering hives, but I can never remember what it is.

Just a thought - I worked in an ER and we had a teenager that came in with what appeared to be hives all over. However, the doctor stated that it wasn't hives it was contact dermatitis. They finally figured out his was from cleaners on wrestling mats. Maybe you can see if a doctor can look at her hands and see if they can tell the difference. I don't even know if it can be treated... I don't know if Benadryl would make a difference. If you can find someone to differentiate between the two then maybe they would have alternate treatments for it. It could even be a chemical on the fabric of the gloves and not the fabric itself. Hope you get some answers!

allergy testing seldom tests for chemicals.  there's a reason many sites recommend washing new items before using.

there was probably a chemical finish on the yarn and it was that to which she reacted.

there is something that  works better than bendryl for allergic reactions triggering hives, but I can never remember what it is.

Xyzal? (levocetirizine)

That's what our allergist prescribed for hives. It's a once a day med good for preventing asthma attacks and for any skin allergy issues, according to him.

allergy testing seldom tests for chemicals. there's a reason many sites recommend washing new items before using.

there is something that works better than bendryl for allergic reactions triggering hives, but I can never remember what it is.

Zyrtec is what the allergist recommended for my DS.

I am allergic to polyester and latex, polyester happened later than latex, but both showed up late in life. Fuzzy polyester is worse than non fuzzy, and it is worst on the hands.

Actually, there is a worse place...I had to switch to 100% cotton pads and don't even try tampons because I shudder to think about a reaction to them.