Menu

What is your 6th grader doing?

nknapp5

I oldest ds is a 6th grader.  I often feel I am not doing enough with him.  Wondering what everyone else is doing and using with their 6th grader? 

My 6th grader is doing Writing with Skill 1, CLE Math 600s, Middle Ages/Early Renaissance history with parts of Mystery of History 2 and 3 for a spine, Vocab with English From the Roots up (also spelling using some of those words + review of words from Spelling Plus), literature using a list I made to go along with history (loosely based on this list) + other lit for fun, science using a variety of resources (she is currently reading Dr. Art's guide to Science).  We're currently using Big Bad Grammar Slammer to do sentence diagramming, and I have a few other grammar resources in mind after we finish that. She also does daily Bible reading and guitar practice. 

I wanted a more challenging year for her this year, and so far I don't know that the workload takes any more time than 5th grade.  She is really rising to the challenge of Writing with Skill and loves it -- that was the one thing I was most worried about.  I think where I am thinking of "adding on" is maybe more written output for science and history.  Right now we just discuss together, but maybe since she is doing well with WWS I should ask for more.  :-)

I think we fall under the category of too much. My dd wants to row for Yale, I just try and keep her on that path until her plans change. :)

Saxon Pre-algebra

Alcamus Pre-algebra

FLVS online General Science class

weekly Science co-op

MP First Form Latin

VP self-paced online Medieval History

History Odyssey Middle Ages

Mapping the World with Art

CNN daily student news

Writing with Skill I

Creative Writer I

Spelling Power

MCT Grammar Town

Lightning Literature 7

Extracurricular:

Competitive Rowing team

Recreational Triathlon team

Recreational soccer team

4-H

I have two of them. They're at the young end for grade - just 6th grade side of the cut off here. I would say they're average students academically. We're not taking a very classical approach to the logic stage. We're using very little pre-made curricula. 

One is playing catch up with math a little bit. He's a few pages from done with MEP5. The other is most of the way done with Jousting Armadillos but he got a little stalled for various reasons. I have him doing some practice work in Dolciani's Pre-Algebra and The Key to Algebra. Both boys are doing some elementary geometry stuff with the Zometools with me. Sort of for fun.

Both do Brave Writer for writing. We're working through Faltering Ownership. We've started doing some Giggly Guide to Grammar on the side. We do one short story a month, dictation, poetry teas, written narration... Lots of BW things. Oh, and we're reading Building Poems from MCT during poetry tea.

We have a project approach to the rest of our school. They wanted to study paleontology this year. We're taking Dino 101 through Coursera and reading lots of books and seeing films and so forth. Plus, we've been to a dino dig and done some hands on stuff. I've been trying to do content through skills so the mini-research papers they're doing for Faltering Ownership are about dinosaurs they each chose. They're also doing a unit with dh about the upcoming presidential election. We're doing a film for 90-Second Newbery, which is a little film festival for kids. We spent most of today working on that, actually. Later this year, we're going to study philosophy.

One of my boys does ballet several times a week. The other is in a local student theater and does diving once a week, just to try it out this year, nothing serious. Both boys are on a Destination Imagination team. Last year, their team went all the way to Globals, which was pretty exciting. This year, as new to the middle school division, we're just hoping to make it to States. 

• Like 3

Analytical Grammar
WWS 1/WTM Academy
Homeschool Book Study JH Lit
Prescripts (cursive/drawing/poetry)

Math Mammoth 7
Simple Solutions 7

CNN Student News
SOTW Vol 4
Mapping the World with Art

Duolingo French

Co-op classes:
Botany
Engineering
Acting
Gym
Sewing
Ballet
Art

French

Competitive Swim Team

My sixth grader insists she's in seventh. She'll be 12 in December.

She's doing the MP seventh grade classical core (with our own schedule) minus composition and plus WWS1, minus Spelling Workout and plus AAS 2 AND 3 and First Form instead of whatever it was supposed to be. Also our homegrown no lesson plans dinner table Geography with Daddy. We have Morning Time with a toddler so it happens when it can: poetry, artist study, Shakespeare, music, memory work, and Bible. Almost always memory work and Bible because of a weekly Confirmation class.

Also 2 ballet classes, 2 jazz classes, 1 tap class, 1 performance class, and 1 rehersal a week.

I wonder if I'm doing enough all the time...

With it all written out like this I think I probably am doing just fine...

• Like 1

I constantly worry that I'm not doing enough!!

Math:                    Saxon Algebra 1

Grammar:             Rod & Staff English 5 (mostly orally, but he does written work 1x/week)

Writing:                 WWS 1

Spelling:               Apples & Pears

Latin:                     First Form Latin

History:                 MOH2 (we mix in HO2 when the lessons line up); readings from Monks & Mystics, Peril & Peace, Famous Men of the Middle Ages, and KHE

Current Events:    CNN Student News

Reading:               He has 13 books on his reading list this year.  Most are from his history timeframe, but some are for fun. (Plus read alouds)

Geography:           Memoria Press Geo 1 (1 day/week)

Science:                Apologia YES Chemistry & Physics

Christian Studies:   Memoria Press (1 day/week)

I think he needs more writing in history and science (mostly science), but he hates writing and doesn't put forth much effort outside of WWS. 

I have a young 6th grader (just turned 11).  He is a competitive tennis player and trains every afternoon so we have to be very efficient with our school time.   Not a lot of extras.  He is a get-er-done kind of kid where school is concerned.  

Math Mammoth 6

Bookshark 5 Eastern Hemisphere Reading with History 

Bookshark 5 Science : Health, Medicine & Human Anatomy

Easy Grammar 6

Essentials in Writing 7 (he can't stand the DVDs, but doesn't mind the book so far)

Spelling Workout G

Greek Code Cracker

Perplexors

I will answer on what I've planned for the second semester of 6th grade because DS currently is in France just doing french.

CTY arabic

French with tutor once weekly plus 1/3 of his books read in french

Galore Park for English and Vocabulary Workshop.

Introduction to Socratic Discussion (WTMA)*

Geography (WTMA)*

AoPS class Algebra 1

History combined with History of Art with me, we have a plague unit to finish and then finish the Middle Ages and onwards.

Piano and art weekly, not sure what he will choose to do for sports; he is being exposed to many in school in France but not sure if he will pick one to focus. Skiing at least weekly and probably swim lessons is where it will end if I were to guess.

Science I will leave up to him to choose what he likes to study. He was all about chemistry when he left, but I'm prepared for anything. If he does not choose prob that coursera class on how everything works or some earth science, only because I've been dusting that damn rock collection for months now.

I think that's it. It seems light. I am not a projecty person though and I hate that about myself. DH promises to do some hand on drone/whatever technology stuff but those usually get nowhere.

* if the schedule works

LOF Pre-Algebra

Linga Mater plus assorted literature that I make her read & tell me about

First Form Latin

Rosetta Stone Spanish plus DuoLingo and MindSnacks (both Spanish games)

Ellen McHenry's Elements, then Carbon Chem after that

Child's History of Art: Architecture w/ its workbook

Through a partnership program one day a week, she does swimming, debate, clay, drama and Tae Kwon Do.

I will answer on what I've planned for the second semester of 6th grade because DS currently is in France just doing french.

CTY arabic

French with tutor once weekly plus 1/3 of his books read in french

Galore Park for English and Vocabulary Workshop.

Introduction to Socratic Discussion (WTMA)*

Geography (WTMA)*

AoPS class Algebra 1

History combined with History of Art with me, we have a plague unit to finish and then finish the Middle Ages and onwards.

Piano and art weekly, not sure what he will choose to do for sports; he is being exposed to many in France but not sure if he will pick one to focus. Skiing at least weekly and probably swim lessons is where it will end if I were to guess.

Science I will leave up to him to choose what he likes to study. He was all about chemistry when he left, but I'm prepared for anything. If he does not choose prob that coursera class on how everything works or some earth science, only because I've been dusting that damn rock collection for months now.

I think that's it. It seems light. I am not a projecty person though and I hate that about myself. DH promises to do some hand on drone/whatever technology stuff but those usually get nowhere.

* if the schedule works

I'm curious about the Introduction to Socratic Discussion  class.  It looks interesting, but I'm so afraid to commit the $$ and worry that ds will freak out if I make him do it.   hmmm...

I'm curious about the Introduction to Socratic Discussion class. It looks interesting, but I'm so afraid to commit the $$ and worry that ds will freak out if I make him do it. hmmm...

See, I am used to paying CTY language class prices 3 times a year so the cost for this one means nothing to me, lol ;) DS does not have much initiative but neither does he freak out and this is his sort of thing.
  • Like 1

I'm dealing with one child with a lot of special needs. He takes a lot of time. I feel good about what we get accomplished day in and out, but it takes at least 4 x's the amount of time it should with one of mine. I just don't have time to do all that I would like to do.

That said, one child's too much might be another's not enough. I try not to compare to what others are doing. I'm doing what my kids need and can handle. I want to feel like I have balance, even if I don't do as much as the next person.

Right now:

Math (daily)--CLE, one lesson per day. One page of Singapore Word Problems per day (2-3 problems usually).

Composition (4 days; two actual, usually paragraph level compositions)--No curriculum. I have cut back on this quite a bit recently. We do: one outline of a 1 to 2 page magazine article per week; one summary of that article per week (edited on subsequent day); one other writing lesson per week (generally a paragraph level assignment).

Grammar (4 days a week)--Grammar Made Easy, 4 times a week; Fix It Grammar, 4 sentences to edit and copy per week. I think this probably averages out to about 15 minutes or so of grammar a day. One child also does CLE LA 4 times a week (takes him 15 minutes/not a big deal)

Spelling (4 days)--We just finished Apples and Pears last week, doing one page a day 3 days a week. Now I'm doing Spelling Power. I think we'll do that 4 times a week with dictation practice on the 5th day. I'm not sure yet.

Literature (of sorts)--CLE Reading, one story and poem/section per week (2 days/lessons); read aloud when get to it; audio book nearly always going because my kids love those, and I have one who doesn't read much fiction on his own anymore.

Logic (workbook) 2 x's a week

Memory work daily. My kids really want to do it for a team competition. It's actually the most time consuming part of our days some days, but I think it's good for them in lots of ways. So I give them the time.

History, Science, Music, Art. I am doing a lot better at covering these this year! I'm doing each at least once a week, with more history and science if they fit in our schedule. This is partly because I am doing some on Saturdays when we're home! They are fun subjects for my kids. But all of that, right now, is gravy for me. The Math and LA need to get covered for me to feel good about my day. 

These are things we will be doing all year; I split them up in different ways:

- Math: pre-algebra using a mix of curricula, as needed. Starting a math club.

- History: Middle Ages using OUP, Human Odyssey, some History Odyssey, lots of historical fiction, videos, audio books and lectures. Will be doing Plague unit from RFWP

- Science: Mix of Bryson, Dr. Art, Pollan, and Dawkins. I have books from each scheduled and we might do some McHenry too. Plus some in-depth reading and field trips for Homo naledi. Went on puffin educational tour, attended amazing Neil deGrasse Tyson lecture. Does Alton Brown count?

- Grammar: Mix of diagramming and mechanics practice, multiple resources (we ditched Analytical Grammar), MCT Voyage

- Poetry and Literature: "How to Read Literature like a Professor for Kids", Blackbird Poetry program, MCT poetry

- Spelling and Vocabulary: Megawords 3 and MCT Caesar's English

- Writing: Cover Story and Blackbird Intro to Composition

- Philosophy: "Philosophy for Kids" and "Philosophy Rocks" but DD requested more

- Outside classes: pottery, chorus, circus arts, 1x weekly full day outdoor program, and she volunteers a few hours a week at a preschool

• Like 1

My sixth grader is doing Math Mammoth 6a, Spelling Workout G, and Vocabulary through Latin Roots.  We were traveling abroad so I really stuck with the basics.  We're just now starting Essentials in Writing 6, BYL Darwin, and BYL American History (5).  

He's also doing some coding stuff through Youth Digital and experimenting with coding on his own.  In theory we should be doing Arabic, but I haven't set up anything yet.

We don't do a lot of curriculum, just a lot of homegrown.  DS will be 12 in November. 

MEP math year 8

English: we do a lot here; he loves to read!! He loves to compose, but dislikes writing. I am remediating what I think is dysgraphia.  We are also using English in place of logic/problem solving.

Sequential Spelling 3

Dictation 3x per week

Literature : Mensa reading list with discussion (after the book for the easy ones, chapter by chapter for the hard ones) 50 books this year

Literary analysis: oral composition once a week

Argumentative essay: oral outline every day (moving up to an oral composition of a structured paragraph every day, then to oral composition of an essay every day)

Composition: one fully written out, one-page typed composition every 1.5 weeks (rotates through literary analysis, persuasive essay, creative writing)

Research: we start guided afternoon research projects next week. 

Music

ABRSM grade 5 exam in March

String group, trio, duet

10 concerts per year

History

Dad reads to him 4 hours per week.

Geography game online

Reads National Geographic 30 minutes per day

Science

Dabbling in Biology

Mandarin

Dabbling (unfortunately our tutor has gotten very busy). 

Activities (his other passion. Yes, we do these every week.  This child needs both activity and people!)

Badminton

Soccer

Swimming

Drama

Gymnastics

Multisport

Music groups

Homeschool playgroup

Ruth in NZ

Dd11 does:

3 Grammar lessons a week (R&S 7)

Daily geography (this only takes a few minutes)

WWS I

SOTW Ancients (WTM Academy)

Literature - Veritas Press class, about one book a month with study guides

Second Form Latin

Algebra I - Foerster

Chinese with CTY

Life Science - online class

Extras:

12 hours a week of ballet plus rehearsals

Weekly piano lesson

Weekly swim lesson

Weekly Math Olympiad class

Grade six has been a jump for us, and I have had to rein things back a bit, since ds spends so much time on music.

Math AOPS PreA, he likes this but is slow

Reading: Ambleside online lit list for Pre7 more or less and narration

Grammar, writing: R&S 6 plus maybe some progymnasmata exercises

History: famous Men

Science: Biology E.O. Wilson Life on Earth done slowly

Geography: Mapping the World Through Art

He alternates science and geography

Cambridge Latin

Music theory Grace Van Den Dool

French still getting organized

We do lots of oral narration and some discussion.

Swim lessons and lots and lots of music

CLE math 6

English Lessons through Literature 5

Apologia science: Zoology 3 w/ notebook journal

Classical composition: Narrative

First Form Latin

Each week reads 1 chapter of:

13 Colonies-oral narration

Tiner's History of Medicine-oral narration

Famous Men of Greece-written narration

The Trojan War-written narration.

Reads at least 30 minutes other literature

Reads at least one chapter in scriptures

Horseback riding

Running team

• Like 1

Dd11 does:

3 Grammar lessons a week (R&S 7)

Daily geography (this only takes a few minutes)

WWS I

SOTW Ancients (WTM Academy)

Literature - Veritas Press class, about one book a month with study guides

Second Form Latin

Algebra I - Foerster

Chinese with CTY

Life Science - online class

Extras:

12 hours a week of ballet plus rehearsals

Weekly piano lesson

Weekly swim lesson

Weekly Math Olympiad class

How is the SOTW Ancients class going? We were initially enrolled, but withdrew for a couple of reasons, but may consider if for next year. I'd love to hear any details you want to share about the instructor, how she's adapting the level for logic stage students, etc. After reviewing the syllabus, I sort of got the impression that the class wouldn't actually add much - that most of what they were doing could easily be done at home. Is your daughter getting a lot out of it? I'd like it if my impression is way off-base!

My 11yo is doing:

MEP Year 7

R&S English 5 (he struggles with grammar a bit and I feel book 6 is a big jump from 5 so we started here)

R&S Spelling 6

WTM writing (3-level outlines, summaries, lit essays)

God's Design for Chemistry

SOTW 4 and Canadian History (we do this as a group)

Logic Lift-off

Bible memory

Piano lessons

ETA: art projects

I have a young (about to turn 11) 6th grader.

Math: AoPS PreAlgebra

Grammar/Latin: The Latin Road to English Grammar

Writing: WWS 1

History/Lit/Geography/Bible: TOG year 2 Middle Ages-1800

Science: Elemental Logic Physics and Chemistry (one each semester)

Spanish: Spanish for Children 1

Art Appreciation: Picture Study Portfolios

Making Art: Artistic Pursuits

Composer Study

Various Logic books

Handwriting: Calligraphy

Music: Violin private lessons and orchestra class

Dance/PE: Ballet

Scouts

My sixth grader is eleven and we can only go as fast we can go.

For English we are doing Daily Grams, Druidawn, and writing essay from WriteSource. Mostly Daily Grams every day, Druidawn is once a week, and we get an essay done about once a week.

For math we are doing VideoText Algebra at his speed. We were going pretty quickly until we hit this recent topic and we are going to be here for a little while. That is okay with me.

For Japanese he is doing what his teacher assigns and I help when I can.

For history we are using Beautiful Feet's California History. We are working on getting two lessons done per week and mostly we do, but I am not worried about keeping pace. We also are using another California history book because it has more pictures and some days that is important. We are usually getting two days a week of this.

For science, he is doing Derek Owens Physical Science at his speed. A friend bought the course on thumbdrive and it is going okay. The plan for this was two days a week, that didn't happen. He is working on this about four days a week because he volume is too high for just two days.

For art, we do one project a week, using the 13 Artists a Child Should Know series.It is usually a day that we are tired or grumpy and we are looking for school but calm.

And finally, swimming... Four days of swim team and one day of lessons.

How is the SOTW Ancients class going? We were initially enrolled, but withdrew for a couple of reasons, but may consider if for next year. I'd love to hear any details you want to share about the instructor, how she's adapting the level for logic stage students, etc. After reviewing the syllabus, I sort of got the impression that the class wouldn't actually add much - that most of what they were doing could easily be done at home. Is your daughter getting a lot out of it? I'd like it if my impression is way off-base!

My dd is enjoying it. I think it is adapted well for logic stage. Each week she answers a discussion question to which the instructor and other students respond and which then requires more thinking/responding from her, and she does the same to the answers other students write. This has been good for her in that she can see the type of responses that are possible, and some of the students are older and more mature writers so it gives her something to aim for.

She enjoys reading SOTW, and I have her take notes as she reads so she is learning note-taking skills as well.

The lectures interest her, and she is learning to take lecture notes as well. She does the delayed option because the class times didn't work for us. So far I think the instructor does a good job of adding context and background to the SOTW reading.

The other assignments include quizzes, summaries (similar to a WWS composition), outlines (first one due next week), and some primary source work. This week she read Hammurabi's Code and had to write out responses to questions like: who wrote this document, what was its purpose, what were the effects of the publishing of the document, etc.

Overall, I'd say that the class has been good for her, she is learning to apply critical thinking skills to the content in a way we didn't do in the grammar stage.

• Like 1

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Maths (finishing book 1, starting book 2 in January) - 2 year Pre-Algebra programme

Lightning Literature 7

Phonetic Zoo (this child needs spelling practice. Yours may not)

a combination of Bravewriter Boomerang and Moving Beyond the Page lit units, switching to Adventures in Fantasy next semester

Ellen McHenry The Elements (Botany next semester)

A History of US

various art lessons - Arttango, R&S Artpacs, DeepSpaceSparkle, etc.- no set curriculum

choir

lots of gymnastics/tumbling

We had to make some changes when I realized he was skimming instead of reading, so he's backed up a bit in LA for the moment...

Math: Jacobs Algebra

LA: CLE LA 500, CLE Reading 400/500, R&S Spelling 5

Science: Aplogia General Science (outlines every section to get him to read instead of skim)

History: Just finished MOH1 from last year, planning to start Creek Edge Press Task cards next week, with MOH2, SOTW2, and K12 Human Odyssey as spines, plus extra reading (he loves history)

I may try Writing With Skill 1 next semester.

Driving me crazy at the moment. Oh, not what you meant? Haha. It's the first thing that came to mind when I read your title.

She does MM6 an hour a day with a goal to start AoPS pre-A early next calendar year.

WWS1 4 d/w

GSWL 15m/d

Spanish 15m/d

BYL7 (American Hx) 30m/d plus reading 3x/w

BYL Medieval Hx 30m/d plus reading 2x/w

Exploration Education Science 3d/w

MCT Town (including CE) 30m/d

Sequential Spelling 2x/d

Logic 15m/d

Typing 15m/d

In co-op she does Art and Civics

She dances 12+ hrs a week.

I'm constantly questioning myself. I'd like to add Music to her schedule but it hasn't happened. Sigh

My 6th grader just turned 11, so he is a youngin'

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra

English: MCT Level 4

History & Literature: Roman Roads Media - The Greeks

Spanish: Spanish is Fun, Breaking the Barrier, a few apps & games

Latin: Jenney's Latin 1 and Wheelocks (prepping for Lukieon next year)

Japanese: hiragana & katakana reading and writing

Science: Apologia Physics 2nd edition

Music: Piano

Art: Collage classes and mixed media

Bible: twice a week

Current read aloud: Anne of Green Gables

All of these are daily with the exception of Japanese which happens three times a week. Science is happening in theory, but has yet to fully kick in and enter the rotation as much as I would like. Both piano and art work with professional instructors twice a week with daily homework.

My 6th grader just turned 11, so he is a youngin'

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra

English: MCT Level 4

History & Literature: Roman Roads Media - The Greeks

Spanish: Spanish is Fun, Breaking the Barrier, a few apps & games

Latin: Jenney's Latin 1 and Wheelocks (prepping for Lukieon next year)

Japanese: hiragana & katakana reading and writing

Science: Apologia Physics 2nd edition

Music: Piano

Art: Collage classes and mixed media

Bible: twice a week

Current read aloud: Anne of Green Gables

All of these are daily with the exception of Japanese which happens three times a week. Science is happening in theory, but has yet to fully kick in and enter the rotation as much as I would like. Both piano and art work with professional instructors twice a week with daily homework.

How do you like Roman Roads media Greeks? Would it be usable by a family who prefers secular materials? Do you do the live class also?

* Analytical Grammar; IEW Fix-It

* Mosdos - Pearl

* Various Literature reading (1-2/month)

* Megawords
* Wordly Wise

* English From the Roots Up

* WWS 1; Creative Writer 1

* The Art of Poetry

* AoPS Pre-Algebra

* CTC Understanding Algebra; CTC Understanding Geometry; CTC Algebra Word Problems

* Key to Algebra

* AoPS Competition Math

* Building Thinking Skills / other various logic books

* SOTW + Outlining - TWTM style (all kids do this together)

* America The Beautiful; Uncle Sam & You

* Country Study - homemade

* Apologia Biology

* McHenry Elements

* Python for Kids

* Latin Prep

* Rosetta Stone - Spanish

* Artistic Pursuits; Atelier Art

Football, swimming, drums

How do you like Roman Roads media Greeks? Would it be usable by a family who prefers secular materials? Do you do the live class also?

We really like it. Our family is pretty darn secular. Biblical knowledge is important for cultural aspects and because my son is majorly into the humanities. All those allusions need to make some sense. My only frustration is how history light it is. I am going to purchase an older copy of Western Civ by Spielvogel to read along side. We also use VP History cards to hit the major highlights because my son really likes them.

I would liken Roman Roads to the second edition of Apologia's Exploring Creation series (NOT the elementary/middle school or the 3rd edition). The second editions have a very religiousy title, they are produced by a religious company, but in reality the actual content has very little religion in it. I wasn't even going to use it until a friend convinced me to actually look at the book. Mr. Wile will occassionally have a paragraph which is a bit rant-ish (such as the Climate Change one in Chemistry), but in reality 99 percent is just the content. We skip the rants. We use Apologia because it is concept dense, but math and work load light. It is an ideal science for middle schoolers who are wanting AP's in high school. Enough foundation for challenge, but not crazy intense. This is why I really dig Roman Roads as well. The pace of reading is a bit quick (we slowed down on that a tad), but it summarizes well and asks really great questions for middle school level analysis.

Roman Roads has to do with character when it gets religious. More than anything, it is not espousing much other than standard moral values. Was this character acting honestly, graciously, truthfully? That sort of thing. Within the work text and the written questions, there is a bit more relating to the Bible - story line, moral message, comparisons between a Biblical character and a Greek dude. I have no issue with this, since that is sort of what my son is going to get quite a nice chunk of if he wants to pursue Classical Humanities. You could skip these questions with no real problem.

We have not done the live class - that might get a whole pile more Jesusy. We are currently almost through with the first quarter - Epics. It might jump up in religious content somewhere, but so I have not been put off in the least. There are samples out there if you are wanting to see.

Hopefully that helps. If you have specific questions, please ask!

• Like 1

For my 6th grader here's everything we do over the course of the week:

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages (3 days a week during Power Hour with younger siblings) and in-depth Bible study book (2 days a week during Power Hour with younger siblings), Bible memory work (5 days a week during Power Hour with younger siblings)

Math: BJU Math 5 (4 days a week), IP and CWP workbooks from Singapore (2 days a week), LOF Fractions (1 day a week)

Language Arts: Fix-It Grammar The Nose Tree (2 days a week), W&R Narrative II (3 days a week), Apples and Pears Spelling Book D (5 days a week)

Foreign Languages: French (3 days a week), Latin (3 days a week during Power Hour with younger sister)

Literature: Pre-selected books scheduled over the year covering world and American history, geography, biography, science, natural history, mythology, and classics. These are chosen by me and she must orally narrate after every reading to me and I require a written narration of one reading once a week (5 days a week), Poetry (5 days a week during Power Hour with younger sister. This is very informal, but we do talk a bit about poetic techniques and they work on memorizing poems over the year)

Geography: Focus on the Middle East this year. Memorizing and labeling countries, capitols, bodies of water, and rivers (2 days a week during Power Hour with younger sister), In-depth cultural geography (religion, food, people, etc.) study of 8 Middle Eastern countries done over a 10 week block during our school year (5 days a week during that 10 weeks)

History: Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome done over a 20 week block during our school year (5 days a week during that 20 weeks)

Science: Chemistry and Oceanography done over a 10 week block during our school year (5 days a week during that 20 weeks)

Extras: Philosophy for Kids (1 day a week during Power Hour with younger sister), Prufrock Press Logic books (2 days a week), homeschool theater class (1 day a week), and two homeschool co-op classes (2 days a week)