Menu

If you had $1000 for funding a homeschool library collection what would you buy?

This collection would be available to anyone that uses a library, but items in the collection would be aimed at homeschoolers.

You can spend the money on whatever you want. But you want to buy materials to benefit the largest number of homeschools.

It can be ANYTHING. books for students, resources for parents, curriculum, dvds.

You cannot purchase supplies (no microscope, slides, beakers, games, math manipulative, etc). Items must be of the sort that are typically found in libraries.

Hit me with your must haves! Help me spend the money.

Oooh...

Life of Fred

Story of The World hardbound, plus the activity guides

Full collection of You Wouldn't Want To Be...books

Science of Imagineering dvds

TMBG's Here Comes The ABCs, Here Come The 123s, and Here Comes Science

Anno's Math Games, 1, 2, and 3.

Oxford University Press' Ancient and Medieval World sets

Hakim's Story of Science collection.

Latin readers: Winnie Ille Pu, Harrius Potter, Catus Petasatus..

I'm sure I could think of more, but these are things that are expensive, or parents want to try, or are used for a very little time.

• Like 3

1. Story of the world, even though I think that it wouldn't work that well -- the lending period would be too long. 

2. "Teach the teacher" type resources, the sort of thing that people could borrow, watch, and return, like Teaching the Classics and TWSS.

3. Life of Fred -- each book doesn't last long and at $15 each, it hurts!!

4. Some of the stuff that teaches you about different methods/philosophies, like The Well Trained Mind, John Holt, the Core Knowledge stuff, etc.

• Like 1

I'd make sure the library had

• TWTM
  • an excellent variety of books of all genres and reading levels, from board book to college text, with many in audio format also--specifically making sure to include a lot of books recommended by SL/Bookshark, TWTM, AO, etc.
  • books normally labeled Reference that could be checked out, such as atlases and dictionaries
  • AP test, SAT and ACT prep books.

Some libraries where my dad lives have, by special arrangement with the venue, tickets to local/regional museums and other attractions that can be checked out for I think 48 hours. I think that's brilliant. My library system doesn't even have DVDs.

• Like 1

Helen- it doesn't have to be curriculum, but it can be.

Living books: I would buy anything not currently found in the system. The system is large and several libraries have the classics. This alone would not make a sizeable dent in the money.

Resources: beyond twtm, and 101 top picks not much is available. What would you add? Again, for MOST homeschools. Maybe a cm book? Unschooling?

TWTM

Eyewitness DVDs

Bill Nye DVDs

Jim Weiss audiobook CDs

SOTW audio CDs

Beethoven's Wig classical music CDs

Home Art Studio DVD art lessons

Kitchen Table Math 1-3

All the Peggy Kaye books (Games for Math, Games for Learning, etc.)

Family Math series

Life of Fred

Picture Book Activities

Five in a Row

What your ___ Grader Needs to Know series

• Like 2

It's over $100, but maybe something like the 12 DVD set of talks from the Simply Charlotte Mason conference on their website? It has ideas and how to talks for grades K-12.

Life of Fred books. Something from Julie Bogart, a lot of moms I know are curious about The Writer's Jungle but balk at the price and would love to preview it and see if it's for them.

I'm trying to think of a good general book about homeschooling from a secular perspective, but am drawing a blank right now.

My library has Phonics Pathways, How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, and The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. It was very helpful to field test those and see what worked for us. They also have all the Bob Book sets, which has been helpful for practice...but most people do tend to buy those. My son has a good memory and after the first read through he has them memorized, so bad for practice.

Laura Grace Weldon wrote a recent book on unschooling called Free Range Learners.

The Kitchen Table Math books and/or the Family Math books.

• Like 1

A flier with homeschool-specific internet links that are updated every year.

TWTM

Charlotte Mason's 6 book series

Norms and Nobility

When Children Love to Learn

Montessori's book

Ruth Beechick's books

Kitchen Table Math series

The Writing Road to Reading

Our Mother Tongue

WWE Textbook

Readers:  The I Can Read series, Treadwell Readers, McGuffy Readers, Elson Readers

Classic literature in both books and audiobooks.  I prefer the playaways b/c they don't get scratched.

The graphic novels for classic mythology are nice for the 8-10yo range.

Shakespeare at all levels, children's versions and the real deal and audio/video recordings.

Classical music.  I'd love a whole section of composer biographies and audio recordings.

Art.  I'd love a whole section of artist biographies and collections of their prints.

The cute, little individual Beatrix Potter books are nice.  

The Peter Dennis audiobooks for the Winnie-the-Pooh series rock.

To reach a broad HS base, I'd have a beefy section for reference/ed. philosophy.  Those books can be $, and are usually read only a few times a year if more than once.  I'd also focus on classics and caldecott and newberry award winners.  I'd search through the lists for the big currics and try to obtain several copies of the books (Ambleside, Sonlight, TOG, the SOTW AG recommended reading, etc...)

• Like 1

SOTW and its AGs

WWE and WWS books

Kingfisher Science, History, and Animal Encyclopedias

the Usborne version of the history encyclopedia

DK Music book (music history version of the KFH)

All Singapore books (especially the HIGs)

GSWL, GSWS, GSWF

Human Odyssey volumes

the Classical Kids CDs (Beethoven Lives Upstairs, etc.)

ARTistic Pursuits volumes

History of the Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance Worlds

Book packs for major programs -- SOTW supplements, FIAR, History Odyssey, Sonlight

• Like 1

Reference works that can be checked out and compared: dictionaries, thesauruses, atlases, science and history atlases, etc.

Major math programs for comparison purposes. Say, grade 2 of CLE, Saxon, Singapore, MUS, Math Mammoth, etc.

Homeschooling inspiration/planning books. Household management/organizational books.

What Your Child Needs to Know series. Draw Write Now series. A good set of biographies. Colliers Junior Classics/My Book House.

Phonetically levelled readers (as opposed to the much more common sight word based readers).

Sadly, $1000 doesn't go far...I've likely listed too much already. ðŸ˜

• Like 1

For the math or information science section: _Hacker's Delight_ is a computer book that will hold up (not like a lot of computer topics where new versions of something make it obsolete).

http://www.hackersdelight.org/

It's sort of a weird combination of making your program work faster, solving little mathematical puzzles, and understanding how the computer works.

It's not a first programming book, but anyone who has decent knowledge of some computer language could get a lot out of it, and some kids could really get into it, making graphics, games, secret codes, whatever, and learning some math.  And you can always come back to it later and try more things.

• Like 1

Instead of "What Your Child Needs To Know.." You could go with Rebecca Rupp's book which is similar but has all 12 grades in one.. it would save you considerably..

If you're referring to literature I'd go with the classics that have been illustrated by Robert Ingpen. I'd skip A Secret Garden & obtain a different version though, as I think Mary's eyes are ghastly in the Ingpen version.. 

• Like 1

My #1 choice would be Oxford University Press's Ancient World and Medieval World series

If the library doesn't already have it, I might look into Mango Languages or something like that that students could use for free.

I wouldn't buy a lot of classic literature, because I assume a normal library would already have most of that. Instead I would buy some of the more common math, science and foreign language textbooks, so parents could look at them and compare them. Things like Miller-Levine and Campbell Biology texts; the Conceptual Physics & Chemistry books plus a couple of standard AP texts; Saxon, Jacobs, Foerster, Larsen math texts, etc.

• Like 1