Menu

How in the world does this happen?!?!

Butter

My kids rarely wear shoes (don't need to wear them to and from taekwondo and that seems to be where we go the most) and most of the time if they do it's sandals. Last Sunday Fritz (9) was sick so he didn't go to church and that's pretty much the only place he wears his regular shoes.  The Sunday before they fit fine.

This morning we had a taekwondo in the park thing and because of it being outside we wore tennis shoes.  Fritz kept saying his toes were on fire because his shoes were too tight.  My husband just took Fritz to the shoe store to get new ones.  When he put on his sandals to go his toes were way over the edges.  He last wore those on Tuesday and they didn't fit like that then.

His old shoes were size 2.  He needed size 4!  I put my feet up against his and my feet are not much bigger than his (I have small feet) and his feet are about the same size as his 15 year old sister's.

How do kids' feet (or legs or whatever) grow so incredibly fast?!?!  That's some crazy growth in just a few days.

• Like 2

My DS had something like that last year. He was wearing a size 5 in May (bought new) and then in August was whining so badly about his shoes suddenly not fitting. I took him to the store and kept pulling out half sizes larger until we found some that fit. We stopped at 9.5 in men's! I can't believe he never complained sometime in the interim. 

• Like 1

I have a pair of boots that I want to replace. They were literally falling apart (bought in like 2008). But I thought the size was all right. I looked at the bottom and they said 8. I haven't bought an 8 in years. I can't help but wonder if my foot grew that much or if they just have more space than some eights. The last pair of shoes I bought were 9.

Yeah! I have noticed the same with 8-9 woman sizes (I am that size too). Or have seen kids shoes size 12 or 13 that measure exactly the same as a 2? The same with clothing. I think the size sometimes depends on the manufacturer

I once calculated the rate at which my little brother's feet were growing, and convinced him he'd be size 186 by the time he turned 18 (at which point I told him they'd suddenly stop).  I also told him he'd better find a high paying career, because size 186 shoes are only available by special order.  He was slightly freaked out by this.

In reality, kids' feet don't grow in a linear manner.

• Like 2

Youngest dd went from a six to a nine rather quickly. I felt like a horrible parent at the time that I didn't notice but it really does seem like she had a growth spurt (in her feet only at the time). She is still a nine or nine and a half. Oldest has been a six and a half/seven for years. I do know sizes vary but not usually by several sizes.

Then there's the weird sizing thing where a girls size 3 is the same as a ladies size 5. I really dislike the American shoe sizing standards...

American sizing is absolutely insane. It's not just that it uses numbers to represent totally non-numeric things, even though size is numeric and you could totally use numbers in a meaningful way. It's that it's non-linear. I find it absurd. One of the things I loved about Europe was the sizing. Oh look. The size relates to the actual size of the body part it needs to cover.

As for growing pains, I grew like the child in OP's example and never had a growing pain in my life.

• Like 3

I think it also has a lot to do with shoe sizing? I have seen shoes in our house that are just off...same with clothing. I'm not saying his foot didn't grow, but a couple sizes in a few days? Maybe the shoe sizing has something to do with it as well?

Nope.  His feet literally grew that much practically overnight.  On Tuesday his toes were within the margins of his sandals (the same sandals he's been wearing for two summers now).  Yesterday, they were hanging quite a distance over the edge.  Two weeks ago his toes fit fine in his tennis shoes (the same ones he's been wearing for two years now) and yesterday his toes were cramped and in pain.  My husband said he tried on several pairs of shoes in 3 1/2 and 4.  The 4's are what fit.  The 3 1/2s were too tight.  So I'd say maybe if he tried on only the two pairs they brought home, but it was all of them of that size universally.

• Like 1

Yep.  I stopped buying extra shoes for DS in the next sizes because he has never grown just one size at a time.  The worst it ever was he was around four years old and when I took him to buy shoes we needed 3 1/2 sizes up.  I felt like the world's worst mom!

Now I'm getting smarter and starting to expect it.  It's a game when he needs new footwear.  I had to buy him new tap shoes a few weeks ago, and everyone in the house took a guess before we went to get a pair.  The girl who fitted him could not believe that he went from a size 8 tap shoe to a size 10 1/2 in just three weeks.  She asked me if I thought he had a little room to grow in them yet.  My answer was to shrug and just know that we'll be buying another pair in a few months.

The growing boy body is an amazing and frustrating thing. 

I have one (my biggest) who recently grew a couple of sizes seemingly overnight.  Most annoying, since my kids have to have school shoes, play shoes, soccer cleats, riding boots, and slip-ons.  Good thing we quit dance.

I'm keeping my old walking shoes for when she can wear them, which will apparently be soon.  I already gave her my flip flops.