Menu

Another S/O Fundraisers: any good fundraising ideas?

Just Kate

My kids attend a tiny Christian school, and by tiny, I mean less than 200 kids in K-12. This is my kids' fourth year at the school and I just (finally) attended my first PTO (or PTA) meeting. The spring fundraiser came up during the meeting and I got a little excited. I really dislike fundraisers where the kids peddle junk to family and friends (that is our fall fundraiser going on now). So when the topic was brought up I was glad that it went in a different direction.

We are talking about hosting a 5k, as our goal is not to just earn money for the school, but also to get our school name out to the community. After coming home and googling a few things, it appears that a 5k may be too big of an undertaking for us (not sure though). Anyone know much about hosting a 5k? Or if you have any ideas of GOOD fundraisers, that might help get our school's name out to the community a bit, if love to hear them.

Thanks!

Well, so far my favorite was this 'cash instead of cupcakes' fundraiser with a sense of humor!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/27/living/pta-fundraiser-bake-sale-alternative-feat/

Dd's Montessori school sold Poinsettia plants at Christmas, which was a success. They also did an auction, a golf tournament, Tupperware sales, a Scholastic book fair, and A raffle:)

5k fundraisers are successful here but are usually organized through our local runners club. They bring a lot of runners and have courses that are already 5k certified.

Mum sales in the fall are good. We buy ours from a local greenhouse who are a big help to us. Poinsettia sales are good too.

I don't know how it works, but I've heard of Krispy Kreme donut sales at coffee hour after church. They bought them from the factory? Sunday morning and drove them to church in time for coffee hour.

You can get race managers to run your 5K for you.  They do everything but provide volunteers, so they would handle registration, timing systems, etc.  The downside, of course, is that they take a cut of your proceeds, but it might be worth it if you have a strong running community around you.  It also helps to have a hook to get people in, such as a fun location (a trail run, perhaps), a Thanksgiving morning date (this one is hugely popular here), a New Year's midnight run or a tie-in with another local event.  It all depends on what's already taken where you live, of course, and how many runners are looking for something to do on your Saturday morning.

• Like 1

You can get race managers to run your 5K for you. They do everything but provide volunteers, so they would handle registration, timing systems, etc. The downside, of course, is that they take a cut of your proceeds, but it might be worth it if you have a strong running community around you. It also helps to have a hook to get people in, such as a fun location (a trail run, perhaps), a Thanksgiving morning date (this one is hugely popular here), a New Year's midnight run or a tie-in with another local event. It all depends on what's already taken where you live, of course, and how many runners are looking for something to do on your Saturday morning.

Some other popular runs--Christmas through lights displays if your town has a bug drive through lights display, over the time change in the spring and fall, over a cool bridge

One of the local high school dance teams does a dance clinic for kids where they spend a day learning a routine, eating pizza, and playing games with the dance team members (with some parents and coaches there), then perform at halftime at a high school sports event. They do this during Christmas shopping season. My DD loves it. They usually have a pretty big bunch of girls, and it's pretty much all profit-they get local sponsors to pay for the t-shirts and pizza (they get their name on the shirts, which the girls wear to perform and you see around town afterwards). They pay a lot of their travel for national competition with one fundraiser.

• Like 1

I've seen a group of teens have a Parents' Night Out.  The parents bring all the kids to one place to play for the evening, and adults supervise the group of teens entertaining the kids.  Usually it is just toddlers and elementary age, not babies, unless there is adult nursery support. 

I'd like one of those, myself, and would pay!  :) 

Read the book:

Beyond the Bake Sale by Jean Joachim.

It discusses the culture and infrastructure needed for a solid school fundraising plan. Without that, there's not much point to getting your name out there.

Also, do not forget your main base of donors are going to be:

Board members

Parents

Alumni

Former parents

Other student family members

Neighhors of the school

Neighbors of the students

Merchants who either want to market to your school population or rely on the school's business

The general public is not, as a general rule, inclined to support your private school because they are busy supporting the school they are connected to.

The lowest cost (time and money) for the highest return fundraisers I have seen work for schools:

-Annual ask

-Selling services and things people want anyways that no one else is doing in the area. Wreaths ams plants instead of wrapping paper and donuts.

-educational lecture series

-concerts

-twists on the walk a thon. Skating, swimming, juggling.