Menu

Starting workouts -- how to get used to the side effects?

happypamama

I have never been much of an athlete, but I really, really need to start working out. I don't think taking walks is going to be enough, although walking won't hurt.

Is there a way to start getting muscles into shape without dealing with the soreness? I'm afraid that if I start some sort of routine, all my muscles will revolt after a couple of days and hurt, and then I won't want to continue. Is a gentle start and gradual buildup helpful for this, or does it completely miss all the reasons to work out?

What about sweating? I really, really hate sweating. Seriously, really can't stand it. Is there some trick to actually being okay with being nasty hot and sweaty? Don't tell me to reward myself with a relaxing bath; I hate baths and don't find them relaxing at all. And showers are no motivation -- they're something I do anyway.

I think part of it is that I have no external motivation and not really any internal motivation either. Exercising is a huge inconvenience to me, something annoying that I have to find the energy for and fit on my already overly packed day. There's nothing I want or would reward myself with that would provide a long term goal for me. I need exercise for health, but that's not really a strong enough motivator when it means getting up earlier or giving up something else in my day; my health is pretty good, and DH is happy with how I look, so my own feelings about my body aren't strong enough motivators. I assume that if I start, I'll actually enjoy it after a while (I hope!), but is there someway to make it a little less horrible at first? Or do I just have to suck it up and deal for a while? There's no friend I could exercise with, and I'd be exercising at home anyway, so no feeling of needing to get something out of a gym membership I've paid for. Really, no external accountability at all; it all has to be internal, and I'm really not finding it.

• Like 1

Working out is going to involve sweating. Plan to shower immediately after. It isn't a reward, it is a necessity. You can start gently to avoid soreness, but in truth, if you are challenging your muscles, they will get sore. Even people who fit get sore from a challenging workout. If you want to workout for your health, then these are just things you must deal with. I think you mostly have to suck it up. 

Finding exercise you enjoy does make it easier. I love to bike and do yoga. If I could do one of those every day, I'd be glad to workout. However, biking is weather dependent and takes a long time (no nearby trails, unsafe roads) and yoga doesn't offer enough cardio benefit, so I do other workouts I don't enjoy. It is harder to stay motivated to take the time and get sweaty and tired doing something I don't enjoy for "my health". Habit can help once it is established.

• Like 4

I don't like to sweat either. I do my workout videos in front of a fan. :)

Re muscle soreness: build up gradually. If you really, really aren't used to doing whatever you are planning on that will make you sore (weights, certain moves, whatever), build up very slowly. Resistance bands are great for strength training and you can start with light ones then work your way into tougher ones. Don't feel like you have to take everything on at once.

But also, I find that working out every day instead of sporadically helps reduce the lactic acid buildup that causes soreness. I'd go slowly, but everyday, rather than every other day, when starting out.

• Like 2

motrin helps with muscle pain. Take some before you work out and then 4 hours later. It won't make it go away but it will help.

Can't help you with the sweating part. It's sort of part of the deal.  Maybe only exercise inside and keep a strong fan blowing on you?

Only do super gentle yoga? Can one sweat doing Tai Chi? Maybe you need to explore the world of more meditative movement. You won't get sore or sweat.

• Like 2

It sounds like you need some help with motivation or deciding whether exercise is really worth it to you. This book might be helpful: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0814434851?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

In the meantime, here are some thoughts: 

1. Choose something you enjoy. Think back to childhood. Was there any kind of movement you really enjoyed? You can think through things such as: do you prefer exercising alone or in a group? Do you prefer to be outside or inside? Do you want something to do at home or are you willing to go to a gym? 

2. Muscle soreness. I have been *wishing* for muscle soreness because I am trying to build muscle mass but I am also trying to make sure I don't injure my old joints by lifting too much weight. All that is to say there is no reason that you should have muscle soreness if you approach things gradually. If you get it, either just put up with it as a badge of courage in meeting your goals or take meds. 

3. Sweating: Water aerobics/strength training doesn't involve sweating if you have such a negative reaction to it. Exercising in a cool to cold environment will also keep sweating down. Curve franchises keep their exercise space really cooled down for that reason. Do you live in a cold climate? A little sweating is part of life where I live, so there would be no way I could avoid it. 

4. Anything you do is better than nothing. The worst thing you can do for your health is sit for long periods. You could just make sure you are up and moving around once an hour for at least 4 minutes. You might like wearing a Fitbit so that you can track your daily steps. Perhaps just moving more (without calling it exercising) would be a good first step for you. Don't pooh-pooh walking. If you are not walking, it is an excellent step. It will get you quite a few health benefits on its own.

5. Read up on the effects of exercise for your future health. It is associated with a lower risk of diabetes, heart issues, dementia, and breast cancer to name a few. Your health is good now, but you are investing in your future health. By the time the problem shows up, you will have missed the window to prevent it by exercising. This may or may not motivate you depending on your personality. So see #1. 

• Like 7

It sounds like you need some help with motivation or deciding whether exercise is really worth it to you. This book might be helpful: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0814434851?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This looks good -- thanks! Honestly? I have zero interest in exercising. But it's not really a choice; I need to lose a little weight and get some muscles in better shape.

In the meantime, here are some thoughts:

1. Choose something you enjoy. Think back to childhood. Was there any kind of movement you really enjoyed? You can think through things such as: do you prefer exercising alone or in a group? Do you prefer to be outside or inside? Do you want something to do at home or are you willing to go to a gym?

Nope, there was nothing. I hated PE class with a passion. Even as a child, I never enjoyed running around outside at all. My idea of playing outside was to take a book under a tree. I tolerated swim team as a kid, but I have no access to a pool now, and something in the chlorine sets of my generally mild asthma. I got away with not exercising when was a child because I was naturally thin and tiny.

2. Muscle soreness. I have been *wishing* for muscle soreness because I am trying to build muscle mass but I am also trying to make sure I don't injure my old joints by lifting too much weight. All that is to say there is no reason that you should have muscle soreness if you approach things gradually. If you get it, either just put up with it as a badge of courage in meeting your goals or take meds.

3. Sweating: Water aerobics/strength training doesn't involve sweating if you have such a negative reaction to it. Exercising in a cool to cold environment will also keep sweating down. Curve franchises keep their exercise space really cooled down for that reason. Do you live in a cold climate? A little sweating is part of life where I live, so there would be no way I could avoid it.

I live in PA, home of all four seasons. I am miserable in the summer when it's hot, so I spend a lot of time in front of the AC. Maybe using my room will help because I can work out right in front of the AC unit. Good idea!

4. Anything you do is better than nothing. The worst thing you can do for your health is sit for long periods. You could just make sure you are up and moving around once an hour for at least 4 minutes. You might like wearing a Fitbit so that you can track your daily steps. Perhaps just moving more (without calling it exercising) would be a good first step for you. Don't pooh-pooh walking. If you are not walking, it is an excellent step. It will get you quite a few health benefits on its own.

I feel like I move all the time and run up and down the stairs a lot (see my sig -- there are lots of small boys in my house), but I do sit a lot too. Okay, sigh, I should try taking more walks.

5. Read up on the effects of exercise for your future health. It is associated with a lower risk of diabetes, heart issues, dementia, and breast cancer to name a few. Your health is good now, but you are investing in your future health. By the time the problem shows up, you will have missed the window to prevent it by exercising. This may or may not motivate you depending on your personality. So see #1.

Yeah, that's exactly why I need to exercise -- strong family trend of diabetes and heart disease. It's just not motivating enough.

Thank you for the gentle but firm pep talk! I appreciate it.

• Like 1

This looks good -- thanks! Honestly? I have zero interest in exercising. But it's not really a choice; I need to lose a little weight and get some muscles in better shape.

Nope, there was nothing. I hated PE class with a passion. Even as a child, I never enjoyed running around outside at all. My idea of playing outside was to take a book under a tree. I tolerated swim team as a kid, but I have no access to a pool now, and something in the chlorine sets of my generally mild asthma. I got away with not exercising when was a child because I was naturally thin and tiny.

I live in PA, home of all four seasons. I am miserable in the summer when it's hot, so I spend a lot of time in front of the AC. Maybe using my room will help because I can work out right in front of the AC unit. Good idea!

I feel like I move all the time and run up and down the stairs a lot (see my sig -- there are lots of small boys in my house), but I do sit a lot too. Okay, sigh, I should try taking more walks.

Yeah, that's exactly why I need to exercise -- strong family trend of diabetes and heart disease. It's just not motivating enough.

Thank you for the gentle but firm pep talk! I appreciate it.

Just FYI--many pools now are converting to saline or UV light and away from chlorine. I know you said you have no access to a pool now, but just keep that in mind in case you hear of one opening. Don't assume chlorine will be an issue. 

And don't discount running up and down the stairs. That is movement. I wish we had a 2 story home because I think having a staircase forces more movement, better leg muscles than walking on a flat surface. You might want to google "step-ups" and proper form for those. If you do them with proper form, then one leg will be doing all the work of lifting you. If you take 2 steps at a time that way, it will work your muscles. I would try adding things like that to your normal routine.  

Playing with your boys is another way to get in some exercise. I no longer have small boys, but I have a dog who loves to be chased. When I'm short on steps on my Fitbit, I chase her around the house. I get a kick out of it because she likes it so much. You could lie down, hold a boy with both hands and do chest presses. (google on youtube.) 

I would start small and know that any movement you do is a positive to your health. 

• Like 1

I'd start with walking, just to get used to moving your body.  Walking isn't nothing: I've been doing around 12,000 steps a day, about half of those briskly, since January.  I've lost an inch off my hips and have developed a little thigh gap, not that that was the aim.  I haven't lost weight in that time, but my lower body is so much more toned.  The only other exercise I have been doing is one hour of yoga a week.  I live in a temperate climate, so brisk walking just raises my heart rate and speeds up my breathing - it makes me a bit warm but not sweaty.  Autumn is almost here: soon it will be the time to go walking in cool weather where you are.

• Like 5

The pain means it's working!

Based upon the first post, the odds of you actually doing something then sticking to it seem pretty slim.  I'm a big baby about exercising alone.  I don't wanna, so i don't do it.  I get around it by taking classes.  If I'm registered for a class, then I'm in student mode and I ALWAYS show for class.  Once I know the other people in the class, I look forward to seeing my friends.  For some people, once a habit is formed they will keep at it.  Not me.  I'm a social exerciser and just don't work out without witnesses. You may be one of those people who just needs to overcome inertia to get moving.  If not, try getting a buddy and see if that keeps you going.

• Like 1

I think lots of us would benefit from thinking more about movement and the body's very real need to move a lot during the day, vs. exercise. Exercise often requires equipment and special clothing and can be very inconvenient, but movement is something you can and should do all day, everyday. You can set up your home and life to require a lot more moving (getting up and down off the floor, hanging, climbing, clambering, squatting, etc.) and your body will probably start to feel a lot better because of it.

That's the thing about exercise/movement: your body needs it, and you will probably notice that your body feels a lot better once you are moving more.

• Like 3

As to the sweating, maybe a change of perspective? For me, except under unusually hot conditions if I'm outside, true underarm sweating begins at about the same time I hit my optimum workout intensity. It's like my body's way of announcing, "Hey, this exercise is working!" So, I've learned to embrace it. I do have to plan around it somewhat, but learned to not be troubled by it.

I'll add my usual suggestion of water aerobics. (Eta oops just saw your comment about chlorine induced asthma)

I know you've got lots of other good suggestions, just thought I'd toss in that two cents.

• Like 1

The three things that I'm trying to tell myself are:

1. You need a buy-in. Your commitment to your future self, spouse, children and grandchildren - and the example you set for your children- needs to tip the balance to get you started each time until it becomes habit.

2. Do you have access to a fitbit or something similar? Seeing how much you really move and trying to build more movement into your day, as well as exercise, is something many people find helpful.

3. External commitment is probably necessary. If I pay for an activity or even just commit to a free outing or class, I'm more likely to go.

• Like 3

You've received a lot of good advice and suggestions! 

I especially think a fitness tracker (I use Fitbit) is a great place to start- it'll show you just how much- or little- you're moving.  If you wear one for a week or two, you'll know what your daily step average is. Then set some goals to increase your daily average by 500 or 1000 steps a day.  You might start at 5000 average steps a day so work up to 5500, then 6000...until you get to 8500 or 10,000, and then maybe you'll be motivated to add in more challenges. 

It's easy to fail if you don't set some specific goals- and I don't see where you mentioned anything measurable.   What would a good goal be for you to start with? A certain number of steps a day, a set number of workouts a day, losing 5 pounds, what? Set a small, achievable goal to jumpstart your motivation. 

Best wishes- if dh wasn't my accountability partner, I would be a total couch potato.  We keep each other motivated and encouraged and it makes all the difference.  I do not have the discipline to do this without someone in my corner, pushing me to work harder. 

• Like 1

I haven't read the books that were mentioned (though now I want to!) but this one helped me: http://www.amazon.com/Younger-Next-Year-Women-Strong/dp/0761147748

This will vary by person, of course, but I've found for me personally, cardio/aerobics has to be outdoors. I just find it so much more fun and rewarding that I don't bother with indoor stuff. But you have to find what makes it enjoyable, or at least bearable, for *you*.

For weights, I don't like lengthy workouts or programs that involve a lot of repetitions. I want to get it DONE and get on with my day. So I use this program: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ For awhile I was taking a class at my gym in which we would do about 140 squats (among other exercises). I got tired of it, plus I wasn't getting any stronger. I would never increase my weights, because knowing that I was going to have to lift that weight 140 times was too intimidating! Doing five sets of five is a breeze compared to that, and increasing the weight is not intimidating at all - it gives me a sense of progress and accomplishment. So I actually get stronger with this program, even though it's easier! (Oh, and btw, the first time I did this workout, I used bodyweight only for the squats, and just wimpy little 3-pound weights for the upper body stuff. You've got to start somewhere, and it does NOT have to be with that 40-pound barbell that he recommends!)

I have to be honest, muscle soreness doesn't bother me. I know it means I gave those muscles a good workout, and I know that next time they'll be strong enough to do that same work without getting sore again. So to me, it feels like a victory. :) When I've really over-done it and the soreness was interfering with my ability to get around, a hot bath, a magnesium supplement, and some stretching seemed to help.

I don't particularly like sweating either, but I don't have any advice on that. It's just part of the deal, you know? Not much you can do about it, except take a shower.

Finding something fun for you, finding an accountability partner or workout buddy, using technology to track your workouts, all of those things can help too. Good luck!

• Like 2

I think lots of us would benefit from thinking more about movement and the body's very real need to move a lot during the day, vs. exercise. Exercise often requires equipment and special clothing and can be very inconvenient, but movement is something you can and should do all day, everyday. You can set up your home and life to require a lot more moving (getting up and down off the floor, hanging, climbing, clambering, squatting, etc.) and your body will probably start to feel a lot better because of it.

That's the thing about exercise/movement: your body needs it, and you will probably notice that your body feels a lot better once you are moving more.

All this! I have been in your place. I started with walks and really making an effort to play with my kids-tag, swimming, hula hoop, etc. Once you start to feel better you do more. It's a snowball but you have to pack that first bit of snow intentionally. For the seat get a microfiber towel and keep it with you when you walk, play with the kids, etc. wiping your face and neck will make you feel drier. Maybe try some gentle yoga too. Yoga with Adrienne has a " yoga for couch potatoes" vid on YouTube.

You need to start with a beginner's workout no matter how "sissy" you might think it feels at first. I'd also suggest just going every other day at first so you can build up strength. I'd do every other day for a few weeks or even a month, but you'll need stretching. A simple yoga workout {not a hefty workout one, but a calmer one like Candlight Yoga} will help stretch things out & keep you from seizing entirely.. 

• Like 1

I have never been much of an athlete, but I really, really need to start working out. I don't think taking walks is going to be enough, although walking won't hurt.

Is there a way to start getting muscles into shape without dealing with the soreness? I'm afraid that if I start some sort of routine, all my muscles will revolt after a couple of days and hurt, and then I won't want to continue. Is a gentle start and gradual buildup helpful for this, or does it completely miss all the reasons to work out?

What about sweating? I really, really hate sweating. Seriously, really can't stand it. Is there some trick to actually being okay with being nasty hot and sweaty? Don't tell me to reward myself with a relaxing bath; I hate baths and don't find them relaxing at all. And showers are no motivation -- they're something I do anyway.

I think part of it is that I have no external motivation and not really any internal motivation either. Exercising is a huge inconvenience to me, something annoying that I have to find the energy for and fit on my already overly packed day. There's nothing I want or would reward myself with that would provide a long term goal for me. I need exercise for health, but that's not really a strong enough motivator when it means getting up earlier or giving up something else in my day; my health is pretty good, and DH is happy with how I look, so my own feelings about my body aren't strong enough motivators. I assume that if I start, I'll actually enjoy it after a while (I hope!), but is there someway to make it a little less horrible at first? Or do I just have to suck it up and deal for a while? There's no friend I could exercise with, and I'd be exercising at home anyway, so no feeling of needing to get something out of a gym membership I've paid for. Really, no external accountability at all; it all has to be internal, and I'm really not finding it.

I also hate sweating, though exercise has been a part of my life for most of my adulthood. This is the main reason my two preferred forms of exercise are yoga and weight lifting. I sweat little or none when doing these two types of exercise. (you've heard of "hot" yoga? Yeah - that is my nightmare! Why take a perfectly non-sweaty exercise and make it sweaty on purpose??) I do sweaty exercise some of the time, but I try to keep that to when I was going to shower anyway.

For muscle soreness, I always think it is better to ease in, especially for people who have little muscle tone. I have observed friends who have never exercised going to workput with a personal trainer, who overworked them much too much. If a person is so sore they can barely put their own pants on, it is discouraging and will turn the new exerciser against wanting to continue. So, yes, IMO, it is better to do any form of exercise that is new rather gently. If a person has been unexercised for twenty years, I can't see what the rush is to go full-on.

A lot of my own motivation is that I don't want to get the diseases some of my family members have. I am very afraid of diabetes, for instance. The rest of it is not wanting to see ill effects of aging so much. Certain things, like jiggly triceps - arms that keep waving long after I have stopped, lol. I don't want that, so I use dumbell exercises for strong arms.

I completely hear you on investing the time when you have already so much on your plate. This has historically been my entire reason for start and stop exercise. I have exercised for six months to two years consistently, but I have also dropped the ball for months to a few years over the decades. It's okay; i don't take it personally. I just begin again.

I have never been a paid member of a gym. (i did use the gym at college for free for about a year.) largely, this is because it will take too much time that way. Having free weights at home and using yoga at home in other cases makes exercise easier to fit in. Currently, I do about 20 minutes of yoga in the morning, before I take DS15 to school, and then, half the days of the week, I do about another 30 minutes with weights when I come back home, and before starting hs work with DS10. This is working well for me at present.

I hope you can work out a plan that you look forward to.

• Like 1