Menu

It's September 11th

I pray for all of those intimately affected by this day, 7 years ago.

May God's comfort surround you as you remember....and may we never forget.

Blessings,

Camy

Yes, may we never, ever forget all of those that died, their surviving families, as well as all of the first responders. To our military, my appreciation abounds!

iwo-9-11-final.jpg

My thoughts and prayers on this day!

:grouphug:

Blessings,

Camy

Amen.

I will also never forget the bravery, the way the nation pulled together. The way complete strangers helped each other - really helped. The heroes. And the fact that I became a Christian as a result of that day.

~Dana

One of the first boys I ever kissed (not that I've kissed a lot!) died in the World Trade Center. He left behind a beautiful wife and 2 little kids. I'm thinking of him today!

:grouphug: So sorry. What a tragedy and have far reaching and lasting its effects are. We must remember and honor each person who unknowingly became a hero that day.

From my blog:

A Beautiful, Horrific Day

I originally posted this two years ago. I am posting it again because it still sums up my feelings about this day in history. Hug your babies, tell people you love them, tell them again. Look intently into the eyes of those who mean the most to you. Listen to their laughter and keep it close to your heart. Look for the holy in the commonplace.

There are so many memories of that day. It was an extraordinarily beautiful fall day. We had no idea how it would end.

I read the paper while drinking my coffee. I thought that the biggest news of the day was that the Bishop had Alzheimer's Disease. My husband called me and said to turn on the tv because a plane had flown into the World Trade Center.

It all happened in a blur after that. I just stood there, transfixed in front of the tv set. I called a couple of friends to make sure they watched too, but I just stood there, staring. It was so confusing at first, I remember wondering how on earth they would be able to reconnect the top and bottom of the first tower that was hit. I wondered how a pilot could go so off course as to run into a skyscraper. And then I heard one of the newscasters suggest that it was an act of terror.

Terrorism?

Here?

How could that happen?

And the rest went by in a blur. I was standing there watching in live time when the second plane flew in and hit the other tower. I was standing there when they collapsed. It was amazing that the sky was so blue that day, the sun so bright and suddenly there was a blizzard-like dust falling from the sky. People ran away, crying, covered in debris.

I live in a bedroom community in NJ. My husband commutes to the city every day. We were all deeply, personally affected by the murders that took place on September 11, 2001. I am thankful that I didn't personally know anyone who died, but that doesn't even matter to me because I feel as though I knew many of them. Todd and Lisa Beamer attended the church that several of my friends attend. The husband of a woman who attended my MOPS group was killed. I went to pick my husband up at the commuter parking lot and there were just so many extra cars there for days and days. How many of those cars belonged to victims, I'll never know, but I can imagine.

I think that those of us who live in NY, NJ, PA, Southern CT, and the DC area share a sadly unique bond. For weeks afterwards (it felt like months) the daily newspapers listed the names of those whose remains had been found, or of those who were still unaccounted for. We turned on the tv and every newscast featured some poor, tortured soul holding up a wedding or graduation picture of their missing loved one. I particularly remember a man whose wife had died, leaving him with a 6 month old baby. He had a freezer full of her breast milk, so at least she could continue to nourish her baby after she had died.

And so I sobbed off and on all morning today. I listened to the reading of the names at the Ground Zero Memorial Service because I need to hear their names. Each one of those people meant the world to someone, they must be acknowledged.

This is still so fresh for many, many of us. But no matter how long I live, I dare not allow myself to forget. I watch the coverage and let myself grieve because I want to remember how personal and how all consuming the sadness was.

From my blog:

A Beautiful, Horrific Day

I originally posted this two years ago. I am posting it again because it still sums up my feelings about this day in history. Hug your babies, tell people you love them, tell them again. Look intently into the eyes of those who mean the most to you. Listen to their laughter and keep it close to your heart. Look for the holy in the commonplace.

There are so many memories of that day. It was an extraordinarily beautiful fall day. We had no idea how it would end.

I read the paper while drinking my coffee. I thought that the biggest news of the day was that the Bishop had Alzheimer's Disease. My husband called me and said to turn on the tv because a plane had flown into the World Trade Center.

It all happened in a blur after that. I just stood there, transfixed in front of the tv set. I called a couple of friends to make sure they watched too, but I just stood there, staring. It was so confusing at first, I remember wondering how on earth they would be able to reconnect the top and bottom of the first tower that was hit. I wondered how a pilot could go so off course as to run into a skyscraper. And then I heard one of the newscasters suggest that it was an act of terror.

Terrorism?

Here?

How could that happen?

And the rest went by in a blur. I was standing there watching in live time when the second plane flew in and hit the other tower. I was standing there when they collapsed. It was amazing that the sky was so blue that day, the sun so bright and suddenly there was a blizzard-like dust falling from the sky. People ran away, crying, covered in debris.

I live in a bedroom community in NJ. My husband commutes to the city every day. We were all deeply, personally affected by the murders that took place on September 11, 2001. I am thankful that I didn't personally know anyone who died, but that doesn't even matter to me because I feel as though I knew many of them. Todd and Lisa Beamer attended the church that several of my friends attend. The husband of a woman who attended my MOPS group was killed. I went to pick my husband up at the commuter parking lot and there were just so many extra cars there for days and days. How many of those cars belonged to victims, I'll never know, but I can imagine.

I think that those of us who live in NY, NJ, PA, Southern CT, and the DC area share a sadly unique bond. For weeks afterwards (it felt like months) the daily newspapers listed the names of those whose remains had been found, or of those who were still unaccounted for. We turned on the tv and every newscast featured some poor, tortured soul holding up a wedding or graduation picture of their missing loved one. I particularly remember a man whose wife had died, leaving him with a 6 month old baby. He had a freezer full of her breast milk, so at least she could continue to nourish her baby after she had died.

And so I sobbed off and on all morning today. I listened to the reading of the names at the Ground Zero Memorial Service because I need to hear their names. Each one of those people meant the world to someone, they must be acknowledged.

This is still so fresh for many, many of us. But no matter how long I live, I dare not allow myself to forget. I watch the coverage and let myself grieve because I want to remember how personal and how all consuming the sadness was.

Wow! That gave me chills. The boy I knew(who died that day)lived in a small, close community in NJ. His SIL and BIL also lost their lives that day.

I will never forget how beautiful the weather was that day. We live just north of Washington DC and the weather was stunning, to say the least. We were glued to the TV that day. We saw the second tower get hit and we watched them both fall. We were shocked and cried when it happened. Had we known that dh's brother (a NYC firefighter) was INSIDE THE LOBBY of the WTC when it collapsed, we would have been beside ourselves with grief.

Here is my bil's story:

My bil was a NYC firefighter. He was on duty in the firehouse the morning of 9-11. His ladder truck was among some of the first responders to the scene after the first tower was struck. It was a horrific scene that grew more and more horrific as people were trapped by the fire and had to choose between being burned alive and jumping to their deaths. The firefighters were in mortal danger of being hit by bodies falling from above, in addition to all the debris that was falling. Mark never talks about those who died by jumping, but he did say that it was the most sickening sound you could imagine to hear them hit the pavement. He said that it just didn't stop.

Mark and his company were in the lobby of WTC 2 (which was the first to collapse), gearing up to head up the stairs to begin rescue efforts. Mark was facing a window and looked outside when they heard what he said sounded like a train coming full blast at them. He said the entire building was shaking. In the reflection of the building across the street, Mark could see the building collapsing.

He shouted out, "THE BUILDING'S COMING DOWN!" He and part of his company (I believe it was 6-10 men) ran in the direction of a bar in the lobby. Some of the firefighters hit the floor and covered their heads, and others ran in opposite directions. Mark and those with him reached the bar just as the metal security grating came down behind them. As that happened, the building had totally collapsed. Mark didn't even have on his protective hood or mask. He was in the only corner of the WTC that was NOT totally crushed and compressed. He and those with him survived the collapse. None of the others in the lobby survived. Somehow they were able to get the security fence back up and they found a way out of the rubble. Somehow they were able to get outside. What they saw was overwhelming and surreal.

As they made their way across the courtyard outside, amid all the smoke and dust, they found a Port Authority cop either in or under a tree and brought him with them. They were making their way across the street when WTC 1 came down, nearly on top of them. There was a deli that they had been heading into in an adjacent building. As WTC 1 came down, they dove into the deli, just getting the door shut behind them and were again spared. It is truly by the grace of God that my bil and the men with him survived that day. He worked as a NYC firefighter for a few more years, but was forced to retire due to severe breathing difficulties that he sustained from breathing in all the dust from the collapse and from the rescue/cleanup efforts. He lost a lot of friends that day. But, by the grace of God, he is still with us.

I have watched programs on TV that have shown just how long it took for the towers to fall. I think it only took about 11 seconds. I have never been able to watch one of those shows without sobbing, thinking of what my bil endured and survived. From the time the tower begins to fall, I count the seconds. I think of Mark seeing the reflection of the building coming down. I think of him running across the lobby and diving behind a bar. I can't imagine that all that happened in 11 seconds. It is just so heartbreaking to watch. And yet at the same time, for our particular family, it is something that also causes us to praise God--that He protected Mark's life. We just can't understand why God chose to save some and allowed so many others to perish. But, then I just think we cannot ever know the mind and will of God.

September 11 was such a day of tragedy and fear. We as Americans should NEVER forget what happened.

Blessings,

Camy

This day also has my heart aching for those that were affected in the Oklahoma bombing as well. Perhaps that one is overlooked more than it should be. :( It's all terrorism.

4.gif

Since I've never been good at hiding my feelings............. I do not get weepy and emotional on 9/11. I didn't even get that way on the day it happened.

I feel like if we had minded our own business it never would have happened. And I won't debate it either.

This is not to say I do not feel for the families who suffered a great loss on that day. It was not their fault. It's tragic, heartbreaking, soul rending. But no more that the child who wandered off and drown in the neighborhood pond. Or the mother of five who was killed by a drunk driver. The father suffering from a 10 yr wrongly diagnosed disease, slowly dying.

Yes, it was great that everyone pulled together. You shouldn't have to have something like this for people to help each other, so that bugs me too. Helping one another should be a daily thing, a lifestyle. It shouldn't be so surprising that everyone comments on it years later.

But yes, it was a terrifying thing to have been attacked on our own soil. Makes one think. I just seem to think about it differently than most.

Every year, as this day approaches, I think "I'm not going to cry this year. I'll be able to remind my boys why we are so thankful for soldiers, and fireman, and policeman without having to try to talk through my tears". It's been 7 years now, and I didn't know a single person in the World Trade Centers, in the Pentagon, or on Flight 93.

But I can't do it.

I spend the day in tears. I'm immediately back in time, reliving all that happened to me that day. Mourning for those who died that day, their families and their friends. Mourning for what this nation lost, and for all of the brave soldiers we've lost since then. In an hour or two, I will once again remind my boys why we need to honor the soldiers, the firemen, and the policemen through tears. I pray that one day they understand and I hope they will love this country as much as I do.

Thank you to all here who sacrifice for me and my family.

Had we known that dh's brother (a NYC firefighter) was INSIDE THE LOBBY of the WTC when it collapsed, we would have been beside ourselves with grief.

Your brother-in-law's story is amazing. I audibly gasped as I read his story and my heart breaks for what he and others experienced that day. My own grief is still so present... I cannot begin to imagine how those personally touched feel or have felt.

:grouphug: Thank you for sharing today.

Your brother-in-law's story is amazing. I audibly gasped as I read his story and my heart breaks for what he and others experienced that day. My own grief is still so present... I cannot begin to imagine how those personally touched feel or have felt.

:grouphug: Thank you for sharing today.

There was so much death and tragedy that day. I grieve whenever I see a program on 9-11. We are so thankful to have a spot of light in our own family from that day. Because bil's story has a happy ending, it seems to ease our own family's grief. I feel so much for those who do not have the happy ending that we do. Dh could have lost his entire side of the family that day as his older brother was scheduled to pick up paperwork in one of the towers and would have taken mil and fil along for the ride. He decided to put off picking up the paperwork until the next day. I have doubts that they would have been able to get out in time had they gone because fil is disabled and would not have been able to get down all those stairs. It's mind boggling to think about the possibilities of that day.

There was so much death and tragedy that day. I grieve whenever I see a program on 9-11. We are so thankful to have a spot of light in our own family from that day.

Your bil's story is really amazing. I felt chills when I read about the grate coming down right after they got inside the bar area. Just amazing.

The people I know who saw the people who jumped won't talk about it either. Definitely one of those things that you see and hear in your dreams for a long time afterwards, I think. There are so many stories like these. There was so much loss, so much devastation, but there were so many who miraculously survived too.

My friend's sister was minutes away from attending a meeting across the street in Tower 1. Someone called her and told her to look outside. She was one of those people you saw walking through the streets covered in ash.

My other friend's husband was working out at the gym in his building, also across the street from WTC. He was riding an exercise bike and looked up to see a plane crossing by at a low level...he saw it happen...and he witnessed things that he wouldn't discuss.

The brother of one of my husband's colleagues was supposed to have a morning meeting in one of the towers but then his daughter missed her school bus and he had to drive her to school...which made him late for his meeting...which meant that he didn't die with a bunch of his coworkers.

There are so many other stories like these. People have so much to be thankful for, because as bad as it was, it could've been worse. Seven years later I still wonder how the people whose lives were spared have changed. I hope that someone will write a book about this because I'd love to know, for better or worse how a person chooses to live their life after narrowly missing death.

We lost a friend on 9/11. Jeffrey Collman. He was a steward on American Airlines Filight 11.

My wife and I were (are) close friends with both Jeff and his life-partner Keith. To see the way Keith was treated so disrespectfully in the aftermath of this disaster, by both government agencies and the airlines, made me sad and ashamed on top of the profound grief I felt for our national loss.

But it made me more resolved to stand up for the rights of all our brothers and sisters, and that lesson of 9/11 will never die in me.

Bill

We lost a friend on 9/11. Jeffrey Collman. He was a steward on American Airlines Filight 11.

My wife and I were (are) close friends with both Jeff and his life-partner Keith. To see the way Keith was treated so disrespectfully in the aftermath of this disaster, by both government agencies and the airlines, made me sad and ashamed on top of the profound grief I felt for our national loss.

But it made me more resolved to stand up for the rights of all our brothers and sisters, and that lesson of 9/11 will never die in me.

Bill

Bill,

I'm sorry. Your friend Jeff deserves a better legacy than that.

Thank-you for sharing your story.:grouphug:

Bill,

I'm sorry. Your friend Jeff deserves a better legacy than that.

Thank-you for sharing your story.:grouphug:

Thank you Elaine. Actually Keith thought so too, so he fought civil rights actions no person should very have too, and eventually prevailed. He felt he could do no less and I'm awfully proud of him :001_smile:

Bill

Your bil's story is really amazing. I felt chills when I read about the grate coming down right after they got inside the bar area. Just amazing.

That morning, my mother began to think about my bil and thought that he might be at the scene. She felt lead to pray that God would protect Mark as He protects those He loves like a mother bird who spreads her wing. That makes me cry to this day, because essentially, that's really the way in which Mark and those with him were spared. It's so humbling to think about.

The people I know who saw the people who jumped won't talk about it either. Definitely one of those things that you see and hear in your dreams for a long time afterwards, I think. There are so many stories like these. There was so much loss, so much devastation, but there were so many who miraculously survived too.

My friend's sister was minutes away from attending a meeting across the street in Tower 1. Someone called her and told her to look outside. She was one of those people you saw walking through the streets covered in ash.

My other friend's husband was working out at the gym in his building, also across the street from WTC. He was riding an exercise bike and looked up to see a plane crossing by at a low level...he saw it happen...and he witnessed things that he wouldn't discuss.

The brother of one of my husband's colleagues was supposed to have a morning meeting in one of the towers but then his daughter missed her school bus and he had to drive her to school...which made him late for his meeting...which meant that he didn't die with a bunch of his coworkers.

There are so many other stories like these.

Wow, those ARE amazing stories. You're right, it would make for an incredibly uplifting book to read stories like these. What a collection it would make.

People have so much to be thankful for, because as bad as it was, it could've been worse.

You know, I've often thought that myself. I shudder to think at the number that might have been lost if the terrorists had hijacked flights that left in the afternoon when the buildings would have been completely full. And I've wondered why *they* didn't seem to have thought of that themselves (although I'm so thankful that they didn't!!)

Dh says that they really got the US with a big sucker punch and that they probably didn't really believe that they could bring those towers down like they did. No New Yorker believed that those towers could fall like they did (at least according to my NY'er dh.) But, you're absolutely right; we DO have so much to be thankful for in the midst of the terror of that day. It really could have been SO SO much worse than it was.

Does anyone still get that viseral punched in gut feeling after all these year. And the tears still come. I am not capable of saying much more. :(

Yes. The pit of my stomach still aches and I am still left reeling in shock. I only allow myself to look at the images on this one day per year. Maybe I am afraid that if I look at the images too much they will lose their power over me? I never want to get to a place where it was just a thing that happened a long time ago; just another story we tell.

I cry and cry and my kids think I am a loony.

I get pretty emotional on April 19th too. I wonder why we don't talk about that and grieve over it still? I only let myself look at those images on that one day as well.

Does anyone still get that visceral punched in the gut feeling after all these years? And the tears still come. I am not capable of saying much more. :(

I only allow myself to look at the images on this one day per year. Maybe I am afraid that if I look at the images too much they will lose their power over me? I never want to get to a place where it was just a thing that happened a long time ago; just another story we tell.

I cry and cry and my kids think I am a loony.

Yes, yes. I still feel that way and I still cry and I only look once a year. It makes me really understand why all those old people always got so worked up about Pearl Harbor Day. As a younger person I didn't quite get it, not completely. I get it now.

I get pretty emotional on April 19th too. I wonder why we don't talk about that and grieve over it still? I only let myself look at those images on that one day as well.

I do, too. That was an incredibly emotional day for me... one that I will never forget. :grouphug:

I think this is the first time I'm telling my story here. Somehow it seems like the right time.

We were living and working as civilians for a DOD facility in northern Virginia. The children were very young. I worked part-time and a Navy officer family cared for the children, but they were on vacation that week and my children were offbase with a substitute (I was soooo grateful). Someone had a tiny TV and all of us in the office crowded around it for a while. We saw the second plane hit, and as soon as I saw the second one, I knew it wasn't an accident after all. Our base closed, and our commander kicked off the IG team that had just arrived to do a huge inspection. I remember restlessly waiting in the traffic to get offbase and staying that way until all four of us were together and home. I just wanted to go get my children and get them HOME!

Our caregivers were on vacation--in NYC! The mom's parents were onbase caring for their grandchildren when the towers went. It took the grandparents (and us) two days to find out if our caregivers were involved. Turns out they had planned to go sightseeing at the towers THAT VERY MORNING, but they were up late the night before, and they overslept. THEY OVERSLEPT!

Some of my acquaintances lost friends at the Pentagon. When the base re-opened, and my caregivers were back, I had to explain to my little toddlers why there were men with machine guns at the entrance and traffic mazes and all. I had just three weeks prior given up the corollary position of Assistant Emergency Preparedness Officer. My friend, the fire chief and the EP Officer, didn't leave the base for the first four days, and then when she finally did go home, she couldn't stop crying. The fire station was quiet, echoing, and somber for WEEKS. Months, even, they were subdued (and if you know firefighters--you know that is unusual).

It was completely devastating. I deliberately kept my children from the news footage. I did talk with them, and we did listen to a couple of the radio addresses. I wished I could shelter them from it completely, but it was all around us.

It was significant to me personally that I missed being heavily involved in the situation by three weeks--having resigned that Asst. EP position. I did that for health reasons--I had been very ill and could barely work part-time. There is no way I could have emotionally or physically handled being involved in the situation. The Lord spared me from much of the trauma I would have endured. And we truly believed God saved that Navy officer and his wife.

Blessings,

Camy

I posted something like this on my blog today, thanks for doing it here!

I didn't know anyone either. but it was heart-wrenching and totally unbelievable to me as I watched it all unfold! I remember saying, "Another plane just hit the other tower!" while the announcers kept talking for a few minutes on other things. Then they "got word" that the second tower had been hit....

I've heard some people's stories of the heat and jet fuel and how terrible it was. I just can't imagine, and never will! But I pray for those involved and hope people were able to move on--never the same, obviously, but hopefully able to move on with a semblance of life! In my devotions this morning I prayed for the people and for the service people that helped!

On the one year anniversary of this tragedy my kids and I made cookies and took some to the police station and some to the fire station. Both places gave us tours (including the holding room and inside of a police car, and a ride in the huge fire engine!) and expressed their thanks. But our intention was to present them a certificate of thanks that the kids made for them (as well as the cookies) for risking their lives daily!

On the one year anniversary of this tragedy my kids and I made cookies and took some to the police station and some to the fire station. Both places gave us tours (including the holding room and inside of a police car, and a ride in the huge fire engine!) and expressed their thanks. But our intention was to present them a certificate of thanks that the kids made for them (as well as the cookies) for risking their lives daily!

That's a really great thing to do. I'll have to tuck that into the back of my cap to do with my kids next year. Thanks so much for sharing! :001_smile: