Menu

PSAT test- what would you do?

Ds (rising 11th) has taken the PSAT at a certain high school for the past two years (as practice).  I signed him up two weeks ago-and paid-for the test.  I just heard from the VP of the school and he said that they can not accommodate ds this year because they will be testing all of their 10th graders this year and will not have space for outside students.  After pleading (and having a near heart attack!) and also telling him that we already paid and thought we were registered, he said that he "would roll the dice and hope he has the space for him."  How would you take that?  I am assuming he means that my son WILL be able to take the test at that school.  What should I do now?  What if he shows up and they don't let him take the test.  What are my options?  There isn't another school that is very close that gives the test.  I'm panicking!  Of course this happens when the test counts! 

Hot Lava Mama

If he is very close to making National merit, I'd find another school - even if it is not close. I'd drive if necessary.

If he is not very likely in the running for NM, I'd take my chances.

While NM is prestigious, we have not found it to be the huge financial benefit that some people report it to be.

• Like 2

If I heard "roll the dice and hope there is space..." I would assume it is not a sure thing for your son to take the test at that school. I'd be looking for a new location and ask for a refund of fees, since there is no guarantee your child can sit for the test. 

• Like 1

If he is very close to making National merit, I'd find another school - even if it is not close. I'd drive if necessary.

If he is not very likely in the running for NM, I'd take my chances.

While NM is prestigious, we have not found it to be the huge financial benefit that some people report it to be.

I agree.

If I heard "roll the dice and hope there is space..." I would assume it is not a sure thing for your son to take the test at that school. I'd be looking for a new location and ask for a refund of fees, since there is no guarantee your child can sit for the test.

Same here. I would also find a way after the exam to express my frustration to the district.

Also check your state regulations.  I learned something new this year, that there is a state regulation that Virginia high schools *must* make accommodations for all national standardized testing (PSAT, ACT, SAT, SAT2, AP...). The counselors and test coordinators were not aware of the regulation.  When I brought it up, they immediately became very helpful.  

• Like 5

Check homeschool groups, part-time orograms, cottage schools, etc too. My cover school doesn't give the ACT or SAT because you can register with an outside test site directly, but does offer the PSAT precisely for this reason, and opens it to any homeschooler, with 11th graders getting priority on seats.

I wouldn't chance it.

My state does indeed require that they accommodate homeschoolers for both the PSAT and all APs as long as they are giving the exam to their own students.

We've had no problems at all with the PSAT. Typically they have a separate room for homeschoolers and private school kids from the smaller schools, and they test their own in the cafeteria.

AP's have been a different situation for us because we needed a Latin one several years ago, and they haven't had enough students for AP Latin in years. I had to call and call and call to find a school that would give it to my son. Thankfully my younger one has picked more common AP's, and there won't be an issue with taking it locally.

My sympathies though. The head of guidance at the local high school is convinced that all homeschoolers are morons. I hate dealing with him, but we'll survive. The local private schools either don't offer the PSAT or don't take outside students. So our options are limited.

I wouldn't chance it.

My state does indeed require that they accommodate homeschoolers for both the PSAT and all APs as long as they are giving the exam to their own students.

We've had no problems at all with the PSAT. Typically they have a separate room for homeschoolers and private school kids from the smaller schools, and they test their own in the cafeteria.

AP's have been a different situation for us because we needed a Latin one several years ago, and they haven't had enough students for AP Latin in years. I had to call and call and call to find a school that would give it to my son. Thankfully my younger one has picked more common AP's, and there won't be an issue with taking it locally.

My sympathies though. The head of guidance at the local high school is convinced that all homeschoolers are morons. I hate dealing with him, but we'll survive. The local private schools either don't offer the PSAT or don't take outside students. So our options are limited.

This sort of thing drives me nuts.  Not only does it reflect a bias and ignorance (even if it might stem from experience with actual students who go to public school after homeschooling), but it is completely irrelevant.  Academically unprepared students in high school are allowed and even encouraged to take the PSAT all the time.  

What is more, homeschool students use a different CEEB code, so their performance isn't going to change the school's stats any.  

Now it is possible that if enough homeschoolers score really well, it will raise the National Merit cut off score for the state.  But that seems pretty far fetched (and counter to the assumption that homeschoolers are morons anyway).

• Like 1

This sort of thing drives me nuts.  Not only does it reflect a bias and ignorance (even if it might stem from experience with actual students who go to public school after homeschooling), but it is completely irrelevant.  Academically unprepared students in high school are allowed and even encouraged to take the PSAT all the time.  

What is more, homeschool students use a different CEEB code, so their performance isn't going to change the school's stats any.  

Now it is possible that if enough homeschoolers score really well, it will raise the National Merit cut off score for the state.  But that seems pretty far fetched (and counter to the assumption that homeschoolers are morons anyway).

Yes, me too. Ever time I've interacted with him I've given it to him with both barrels. Figuratively of course.

I'm ready :). 

I wonder if you could be running into the same issue that I have. I have been trying to find a location for my dd to take the test. I haven't had anyone take the PSAT since we moved here and none of the homeschoolers we know take it. I have not been able to find a location to confirm that she can take the test at their school.

I just spoke with a counselor who thinks she might be able to take it at their school, but she can't confirm until she does a final count. She was super nice and helpful. She explained that she placed the orders for their school's tests in JUNE! I had no idea that they placed their orders so early. She said she ordered extra but she needs to confirm enrollment numbers with her order. She thinks she will have an extra test. I am hopeful!

(This has been a very different experience from when ds took the test and I just paid in Sept for a test in a room full of other homeschoolers.)

If necessary, find another place to test, especially if you think your son might do well.

In 2015 52 schools offered full tuition to NM scholars. You would have to check to see which ones but some are very generous and offer money for tuition, technology, textbooks, an R&B allowance and even foreign studies. For example, University of Oklahoma guarantees a $120K scholarship package to NM scholars who list UofO as their choice at the NM website. Students may also enroll in UofO's honors college. UT Dallas and Arizona State U's Barrett College (honors) are two others who offer generous scholarship money and special advising. Many schools offer very little but more than 50 offer much more.

• Like 1

I wonder if you could be running into the same issue that I have. I have been trying to find a location for my dd to take the test. I haven't had anyone take the PSAT since we moved here and none of the homeschoolers we know take it. I have not been able to find a location to confirm that she can take the test at their school.

I just spoke with a counselor who thinks she might be able to take it at their school, but she can't confirm until she does a final count. She was super nice and helpful. She explained that she placed the orders for their school's tests in JUNE! I had no idea that they placed their orders so early. She said she ordered extra but she needs to confirm enrollment numbers with her order. She thinks she will have an extra test. I am hopeful!

(This has been a very different experience from when ds took the test and I just paid in Sept for a test in a room full of other homeschoolers.)

This is exactly the situation I've encountered for my two rising 10th graders. Because of advice I'd read here in the past, I contacted our two closest schools in June, right after ACT scores came out. The counselors from both schools were very friendly and helpful, but both told me we wouldn't know until five days before the test if there would be room for them to take it. They did seem more interested in making room when I mentioned my kids' ACT scores. Of course, YMMV.

If necessary, find another place to test, especially if you think your son might do well.

In 2015 52 schools offered full tuition to NM scholars. You would have to check to see which ones but some are very generous and offer money for tuition, technology, textbooks, an R&B allowance and even foreign studies. For example, University of Oklahoma guarantees a $120K scholarship package to NM scholars who list UofO as their choice at the NM website. Students may also enroll in UofO's honors college. UT Dallas and Arizona State U's Barrett College (honors) are two others who offer generous scholarship money and special advising. Many schools offer very little but more than 50 offer much more.

Rochester Institute of Technology, a good regional school in NY which offers everything from Engineering to Game Design to Furniture Design to Ceramics, offers $18K/year - that's $72K, to finalists.  Tuition is $49K/year, including housing & meals, so that brings it down to $31K/year, which is comparable to many state schools.  That's merit money; need-based aid would be on top of that.  So even if a school doesn't give a full ride, scoring well on the PSAT can make many schools more accessible than they would otherwise have been.  $72K is not bad for a day's paycheck!

• Like 4

I wonder if it's because the new PSAT is out, but the new SAT won't be out until this Spring. We've had the opposite problem in that almost no schools locally are giving the SAT until March, but a lot of schools are offering it then according to college boards' website.

If you can get to Memphis or Jackson TN (and maybe other sites) Home Life Academy is offering it, and top priority is homeschooled juniors.

• Like 1

This is my experience this year. I wonder if something has changed this year in the way that orders are placed?

I think it depends on how the schools handle it.  We had to sign up in June last year to get DS in for the fall.  I only knew this since I got the contact information from a friend who had been through this with her older child.  But to test at the one private school that takes homeschoolers, yes you have to order in May or June as that's when they place their order.  They do order a few extra but since they are charged for tests that aren't used they don't order many.  If they end up with extras they will let homeschoolers order at the last minute but for a guaranteed spot you have to do it early.  The public schools won't let homeschoolers sit for PSAT (but you can take ACT and SAT go figure). I think it's because the PSAT is given during the school day when the building is already full and the ACT and SAT are given on the weekend when they have more space available.

Congratulations!

Now if we only had the prep books...

Thanks.  Yep, I agree about the books, too.  We have been using the old ones since it is all we had.  He used Khan Academy and the little bit they had on CB, but there isn't much out there.  Figures they would change it on THE year it counts for him!  :) 

Hot Lava Mama

I think it depends on how the schools handle it.  We had to sign up in June last year to get DS in for the fall.  I only knew this since I got the contact information from a friend who had been through this with her older child.  But to test at the one private school that takes homeschoolers, yes you have to order in May or June as that's when they place their order.  They do order a few extra but since they are charged for tests that aren't used they don't order many.  If they end up with extras they will let homeschoolers order at the last minute but for a guaranteed spot you have to do it early.  The public schools won't let homeschoolers sit for PSAT (but you can take ACT and SAT go figure). I think it's because the PSAT is given during the school day when the building is already full and the ACT and SAT are given on the weekend when they have more space available.

Registration for the SAT and the ACT are done online, via the website of College Board or the ACT.  When a student registers, they indicate the location at which they want to test.  The schools control which dates they are a testing center, but they have no control over who is testing there that day.

The first time my kids took the SAT, they went to a high school a couple schools away from where we live.  I noticed kids wearing shirts from at least ten different high schools.  The most recent time they took the ACT, I picked a school that I thought would have more serious test takers at it rather than one in a part of town that doesn't seem to cherish academics.