Menu

Have you ever realized that you've actually met someone from the boards IRL?

rose

I just discovered that I may have met PlainMom a few years ago at a fellowship meeting. Have you ever realized that you've actually met someone from the boards in real life without knowing it at the time? The world seems so small sometimes.

• Like 2

Yes.  I might not have noticed, except that she sent me a pm encouraging me for stating an opinion that she shared.  I looked at her avatar and connected her kid's photo and her name with someone I'd hung with at a picnic.  I sent her a pm asking her, and she was surprised too.  :)

No. I never tell anyone about this board and no one has ever brought it up to me IRL.

I never mention the board IRL either but something she said here made me think that our church circles probably very closely overlapped so I inquired in a PM about who she was and that's how we figured things out.

• Like 1

One time, in a thread about unique houses, someone linked the profile of their house that was for sale. I recognized the house- it's not in the town I live in, but I drive past it all the time! I did send her a message, but we have never met IRL. The For Sale sign is long gone from her house and I sometimes wonder if they sold it or if they stopped trying.

Yes. Someone on this board lived in my area and we were in the same hs group. We were also in a book club together and she has been to my house for book club meetings. I didn't realize it until after she moved away. She sent me a pm telling me who she is. She doesn't post much anymore but she was a fairly regular poster for a while.

I've met several people from the boards here, but we knew ahead of time - and planned it.

There is one other homeschooler in our town who is a regular poster here, and we've met at homeschool events.  Didn't realize it till later, and I'm not sure if she connected me with my username.  Maybe now she will.  :)

No but member's children yes... At my daughter's friend's birthday party a couple/few years back, there were a couple kids there and it was nagging me... After questioning the friend a couple week's later, I realized I recognized them from the member's posts here and from her blog.

Yes, and I've thought about PMing the person, but it seemed weird because I knew them IRL several years ago and we only were in the same social group for about six months. So I'm kind of afraid the person might not remember me at all and think it was weird I remembered them and figured out who they were from this board. I didn't do any digging, either, so I may also be totally wrong!

Yes! Years ago I was at a Boy Scout meeting, working in the nursery with another lady with whom I chatted each and every week at the meetings. Came to find out she was "Peek a Boo" (and I think she's been banned from here since then - LOL). It was surreal, because she's so nice IRL, but she was like a pit bull here. (LOL)

I had the inverse experience once. I took an online class and there was a student who was so rude to some other students (not to me), that I actually showed some of this person's posts to my husband in a ''Can you believe this?'' sort of way. A month later I glanced at his screen and saw that he was IMing with this person, and I asked why on earth he was talking to them. He didn't realize that this person, who was now in an in-person class with him, was the person from my online class. In person, this student was very quiet and shy, not at all what you'd expect from their behavior when they felt anonymous.

Yes, my son and I participated briefly in a co-op organized by a board member here. It turned out not to be a good fit for him, because he was in a weird place academically and socially, but he enjoyed the meetings he attended.

A decade or so ago, a not-very-active board member wrote me a PM when she figure out from a post of mine that our kids likely attended the same dance school. I recognized her by sight and knew her daughter's first name -- and because my child is a boy, and boys stand out at most dance schools, she knew who he was -- but neither of us realized the WTM connection until that moment. We chatted a few times in person after that when we ran into each other at the school, but the family moved out of town just a few months later. They stopped homeschooling at the same time, and we lost touch.

There are two people here who I know IRL, but they very, very rarely post anymore.  There are others that I recognize but I never say anything to 'out' myself, since I say some personal things here that I don't necessarily want discussed among friends. They may know who I am here, but I doubt it since they have never said anything. 

I know that what I say on the internet isn't private, but I also don't necessarily need to put a face to it unnecessarily.  I no longer home school, so it is easier to fly under the radar. 

My husband outed me to a Craigslister once and I had to ask him to never do that again.  He didn't think about the fact that I may not want my private and online worlds to intermingle.  He hangs out with his online forum friends, so he didn't realize...but now he does.

I've met over 20 WTMers but they've always known who I was and I knew who they were.  I did have one person I met irl once say that she knew me online but then she didn't offer to tell me who she was.  That felt a bit awkward.  I mean, I don't care who knows who I am.  I am the same online as in person and post knowing that a lot of people know who I am.  But it felt uneven.   I did not ask her to tell me who she was since I figured it was up to her to tell me if she wanted to.  (I only met her once and haven't seen her since and I'm sure I wouldn't even recognize her now.)