Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW32: spell your name challenge

Robin M

I've now read a second book that fits into the spell your name challenge ~

K

A -- Angels Fall  by Nora Roberts

R

E

N -- Not My 1st Rodeo  by Donna Alward, Sarah M. Anderson, and Jenna Bayley-Burke

I

Not My 1st Rodeo is a collection of three romance novellas.  There is no overlap of characters between the novellas; however, all of the characters have signed up (or been signed up) to the same online dating service, NotMy1stRodeo.com.

"Nothing like a Cowboy by Donna Alward

Brett isn’t anxious for another go-round at marriage. But when he’s matched with Melly, he seriously considers getting back in the saddle.

Melly is thrilled to find a dyed-in-the-wool cowboy on NotMy1stRodeo.com—until she discovers he’s got his eye on more than just her curves.

Something About a Cowboy by Sarah M. Anderson

Mack is furious when his grown sons sign him up for NotMy1stRodeo.com, but Karen’s profile intrigues him enough to drive three hours to Billings to meet her.

Burned by her cheating ex, Karen figures no one could be more trustworthy than a strong, silent, widowed cowboy. But after one steamy night, Mack realizes that it may be too much, too soon.

Anything for a Cowboy by Jenna Bayley-Burke

Despite NotMy1stRodeo.com’s promises, Ray doubts he’ll find any woman willing to move to his remote ranch.

To his surprise, Jacy is different. She actually enjoys talking irrigation, getting her hands dirty, and getting down and dirty. But then her little white lie comes out…"

This was an enjoyable light read (some adult content) though I doubt it's a book I'll revisit.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Haven't had a chance to look at my shelves to find books to spell my name. 10 letters I've got to find!!

As for books I wasn't supposed to read. My parents had nothing illicit in the house and zero fluff! It was all good literature, but the next door neighbors where I babysat had a copy of The Exorcist on the shelf.  I scared myself silly reading that after the kiddos had gone to bed, almost jumping out of my skin when the little boy got up asking for a drink of water!

• Like 9

Picked a book for the week. To accompany my non-portable volume of A History of Private Life (now on Late Antiquity), I'm reading Selected Stories by local celebrity O. Henry, aka William Sydney Porter. Henry is not deep but he is clever, getting away with such frothy stuff as "Sometimes Katy would be asleep; sometimes, waiting up, ready to melt in the crucible of her ire a little more gold plating from the wrought steel chains of matrimony." This is technically a chunkster but shouldn't really take that long.

• Like 9

Hi everyone; I'm Violet Crown's "Great Girl." I am told I may join the nice moms in their reading group if I am well behaved. It's nice to meet everyone! I have heard very much about you. :)

I'm 19 and off at college doing math (and occasionally proselytizing to my professors on the benefits of homeschooling.)  In between research, I'm currently reading Russell's "The Sparrow," sold to me as "Jesuits in space," and re-reading Gaiman's "Neverwhere," the crown of bizarre urban fantasy. And there's some O'Connor at home calling my name, so I'll probably start on that when I'm back from my summer program.

Thank you very much for letting me join your reading group! 

• Like 18

Hi everyone; I'm Violet Crown's "Great Girl." I am told I may join the nice moms in their reading group if I am well behaved. It's nice to meet everyone!

Welcome, Sapienta; it's nice to meet you!  I'll admit to liking your name.  If you decide to do the spell your name challenge, you can count  both (The) Sparrow and Neverwhere.

I'm trying to think what would be considered bad behavior in this group ....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

Hi everyone; I'm Violet Crown's "Great Girl." I am told I may join the nice moms in their reading group if I am well behaved. It's nice to meet everyone! I have heard very much about you. :)

I'm 19 and off at college doing math (and occasionally proselytizing to my professors on the benefits of homeschooling.)  In between research, I'm currently reading Russell's "The Sparrow," sold to me as "Jesuits in space," and re-reading Gaiman's "Neverwhere," the crown of bizarre urban fantasy. And there's some O'Connor at home calling my name, so I'll probably start on that when I'm back from my summer program.

Wow, every WTM/BaW Mom's fantasy, having your grown-up child join a book group with you! I've taken Shannon to my IRL book group a few times, and we're reading Shakespeare's sonnets together at the moment as that will be the September discussion topic.  It's always fun and they are all very happy to have her there  - as we are to have you here! Welcome!

ETA: I'll be interested to hear what you think of The Sparrow. I found that book absolutely shattering.  A powerful, difficult book that has stuck with me for years, but I've never been able to talk myself into revisiting it.

• Like 11

TeacherZee, how's the new job going??? Thinking of you this week! :grouphug:

Thanks!

Well yesterday I got a key that didn't work to my office, a desk that still had someone else's stuff on it and no computer. Today I got a key that works for my office, a new desk and 100+ pages of sullabus for my IB classes. Still no computer but I am starting to feel less confused and overwhelmed. Everyone seems nice but one woman is going to drive me batty if I'm not careful. So all in all I am doing okay.

• Like 8

Welcome Sapientia! It will be lovely to have a grown-up dd join us. Like others I am looking forward to reading about your literary experiences. I will admit I am hoping you share a bit of your life as a Maths major also. My dd is planning to get a Maths degree also.

Teacherzee, thanks for the update. I am glad to hear some of your difficulties seem to be being addressed. I hope tomorrow brings a computer to your new desk. :)

ETA. Thanks for the great links Kareni. I really enjoyed the 15 enchanting books onehttp://www.bustle.com/articles/84676-15-books-as-enchanting-as-the-harry-potter-series-since-youve-already-read-them-a-million. Definitely a stack builder. :lol:

• Like 10

Welcome, Sapienta; it's nice to meet you!  I'll admit to liking your name.  If you decide to do the spell your name challenge, you can count  both (The) Sparrow and Neverwhere.

I'm trying to think what would be considered bad behavior in this group ....

Regards,

Kareni

Feminism is the closest to a taboo topic, I think.

• Like 8

I've now read a third book that fits into the spell your name challenge ~

K

A -- Angels Fall  by Nora Roberts

R

E

N -- Not My 1st Rodeo  by Donna Alward, Sarah M. Anderson, and Jenna Bayley-Burke

I --  I Want You to Want Me (A Rock Star Romance) by Erika Kelly

Erika Kelly's I Want You to Want Me is a contemporary romance, and it's the second in the series.  While it could stand alone, I think it would be better to read the books in order.  (Adult content).  I enjoyed it.

"Derek Valencia finally has the success he’s worked so hard for. His band is touring its debut album and great reviews are rolling in. But when pictures of him tossing naked groupies off a balcony go viral, it’s damage-control time. He’s assigned a “babysitter†whose sole job is to keep him out of trouble.

Violet Davis swore she’d never work in the music industry again, but being a minder for a rock star will earn her enough to pay off the mortgage on her wildflower farm. And for a girl brought up in the foster care system, owning her own home means more to her than anything.

Though at first the two bang heads, the rocker and the farm girl soon grow close and realize that they make sweet music together. But can a girl who craves the stability of life on a farm really make it work with a man whose life is spent on the road with his band?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I'm going to complain just a tad, but first: I got a work computer today. My colleague and I put our feet down today.

So complaining, commuting is one giant suck fest right now. It took me over an hour to get home (should take 15 minutes) and this morning we were packed tighter than sardines on the bus, and riding illegally. Should get better next week but so far, not a fan.

• Like 8

I'm going to complain just a tad, but first: I got a work computer today. My colleague and I put our feet down today.

So complaining, commuting is one giant suck fest right now. It took me over an hour to get home (should take 15 minutes) and this morning we were packed tighter than sardines on the bus, and riding illegally. Should get better next week but so far, not a fan.

I probably shouldn't like a complaint post so :grouphug:. Glad you have a computer.

• Like 8

I finished Zoo City.  It just wasn't that good.  I give it 2/5 stars.  It wasn't totally horrible and I actually did want to find out how it would end, but it was still pretty bad.  The author *really* likes four letter words, particularly the one beginning with F.  It was confusing and disjointed.  The storyline was randomly interrupted with chapters that didn't fit at all.  There were too many distracting side stories that weren't necessary.  The premise is people who have committed crimes are "animalled."  They are assigned (apparently at random - the main character had a sloth, others had a mongoose, a crocodile, a bird, a frog, an aardvark) an animal to be their companion for the rest of their lives to, I assume, mark them as a "bad" person (even after they are out of jail).  The confusing part of it, though, is they can apparently be pretty far from their animal before some sort of pain and nausea hits.  It didn't make sense that if they are being marked by the animal why they didn't have to actually have their animal with them at all times.

• Like 9

Welcome! Enjoy your time in college. It's a great phase of life. 

I just started Neverwhere last night. I haven't read it before, and I'm hooked after chapter 2. 

• Like 9

You have no idea how delighted I am to see you here. What fun to have a college student--and a fellow math person--joining us! 

Warning:  your mother is occasionally called the "Violent Crown".  It is unclear if she exhibits these tendencies on the domestic front or if it is only her Internet persona.  Or is it poor typing skills from some of our participants? Ahem. 

• Like 12

Hum, sneaking books. The only books my mom reads are the bodice rippers. I used to sneak those, and I have to say I was confused by a lot of the terminology. 

None of the books my dad read were off limits so I didn't have to sneak them to read them. I remember reading The Abyss and loving it. I also read another sci-fi that I loved but I can't remember the title. Urgh. I'd love to re-read it. 

• Like 11

I've never heard of Shanna. I looked it up. According to Amazon, Kathleen Woodweis is the originator of the modern style romance novel: long, historical, and passionate. Is this accurate?

Kathleen E. Woodiwiss certainly had a great impact. You can see her wikipedia entry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_E._Woodiwiss

"The Flame and the Flower was revolutionary, featuring an epic historical romance with a strong heroine and actual sex scenes. This novel, published in 1972, sold over 2.3 million copies in its first four years of publication and is credited with spawning the modern romance genre, becoming the first romance novel "to [follow] the principals into the bedroom."[4][5][6] The success of this novel prompted a new style of writing romance, concentrating primarily on historical fiction tracking the monogamous relationships between helpless heroines and the heroes who rescued them, even if they had been the ones to place them in danger.[7] The romance novels which followed in her example featured longer plots, more controversial situations and characters, and more intimate and steamy sex scenes.[8]"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Late last night I finished Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic)  by Melissa F. Olson.  I very much enjoyed this and am looking forward to reading more by this author.  I see now how this book is connected to the author's Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard) which I read recently. 

Did you finish Boundary Crossed, Robin?  What did you think?

"After her twin sister’s brutal murder, former US Army Sergeant Allison “Lex†Luther vowed to protect her niece, Charlie. So when two vampires try to kidnap the baby, it quickly turns into a fight to the death—Lex’s death, that is.

She wakes up to two shocking discoveries: she has miraculously survived the fight, and baby Charlie is a “null,†gifted with the ability to weaken supernatural forces...and a target for creatures who want to control that power. Determined to guarantee her niece’s safety, Lex makes a deal with the local vampires. She sets out with the mysterious—and undead—“fixer†Quinn to track down whoever’s responsible for the kidnapping, sharpening her newfound magic skills along the way. But the closer she gets to the truth, the more dangerous her powers become.

Boundary Crossed is a dark, thrilling journey into a world where the line between living and dead isn’t nearly as solid as it appears..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Thanks Kareni, I didn't think to look at Wikipedia. It's hard to believe that it was as late as 1972. I thought that kind of thing had been around a lot longer.

I know what you mean about it seeming relatively recent. It's not that romances weren't already around; I think the fact that her books were published in paperback made them far more accessible and affordable to the average reader. 

And they were entertaining books!  I may not have read the Flame and the Flower in 1972, but I certainly read it within a few years of that time.  And I had it on my shelf for years.  I'm pretty sure I still have The Wolf and the Dove which came out in 1974.  (I should check my book to see what year it was printed.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Multi-quote isn't working for me, so I will have to edit this post a few times. 

Later I snuck the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.  Other things too, I'm sure, but those are the memorable ones.

I snuck all of Rice's works my step-dad had.  I really shouldn't have read those.  They would even be too mature for me now.  :lol:

• Like 11

Finished another segment of homework so I am allowed to start the new Neil Gaiman and not feel guilty. At least not too much because I'm falling behind in planning lessons. But come on, Gaiman in one hand or plan out science lessons in the other, which would you choose? 

I rest my case.

Why ever would you feel guilty for reading Gaiman?  Obviously that is the better cause. 

I have had just the worst summer, but I'd like to rejoin here. :) I'm re-reading the Heroes of Olympus right now because I wanted to read the last book but I had to wait my turn after the kids and dh. I'm up to book 32 for the year. 

Let's see if I can spell my name. I'm not counting the word "the" at the beginning. This will be tough. 

Dies the Fire by S.M. Sterling

Eva's Eye by Karin Fossum

Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (re-read but not from this year)

I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing up in the Holocaust by Livia Bitton-Jackson

Red Queen (the) by Victoria Aveyard

Emperor's Soul (the) by Brandon Sanderson

Eye of the World (re-read) by Robert Jordan

• Like 12

Why ever would you feel guilty for reading Gaiman?  Obviously that is the better cause. 

I have had just the worst summer, but I'd like to rejoin here. :) I'm re-reading the Heroes of Olympus right now because I wanted to read the last book but I had to wait my turn after the kids and dh. I'm up to book 32 for the year. 

Let's see if I can spell my name. I'm not counting the word "the" at the beginning. This will be tough. 

I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing up in the Holocaust by Livia Bitton-Jackson

I've missed you too, Desiree, but I've had fun following your book adds on goodreads.  And I wanted to tell you that Shannon has absolutely loved all the Brandon Sanderson books that you recommended. I noticed she just put The Rithmatist on hold again, I guess that one's ready for a re-read already!

• Like 10

I've missed you too, Desiree, but I've had fun following your book adds on goodreads.  And I wanted to tell you that Shannon has absolutely loved all the Brandon Sanderson books that you recommended. I noticed she just put The Rithmatist on hold again, I guess that one's ready for a re-read already!

Thanks.  I've missed you girls.  I learn a lot from you on here. :)  I know Sanderson is doing some research on Central American (?) history and Native Americans for the next book in the Rithmatist series, so that's very exciting.  If you check his blog, he posts % updates on his writing.  I love his works and I'm glad Shannon does, too!

• Like 9

Why ever would you feel guilty for reading Gaiman? Obviously that is the better cause.

Desiree! Beautiful. Do you ever put in the accent mark?

Sorry you had a hard summer. Let's hope for a better fall.

Switched for the moment to Charles Dickens, a YA biography by Charles Haines. Middle Girl found it interesting and a quick read, so here's to getting it finished before I go to bed. This will be the first YA book I've listed, I think.

• Like 8

Desiree! Beautiful. Do you ever put in the accent mark?

Sorry you had a hard summer. Let's hope for a better fall.

Switched for the moment to Charles Dickens, a YA biography by Charles Haines. Middle Girl found it interesting and a quick read, so here's to getting it finished before I go to bed. This will be the first YA book I've listed, I think.

Yes, I do. :) It's easier to write out online without it, though-especially on my phone!

I will have to show my oldest the YA biography of Dickens.  She just loves him.

• Like 6

The September/October issue of Piecework arrived in my mailbox today.  This is the annual literary issue which this year features an article on Jan Brett and her creative process.  Accompanying the article is a pattern for making felted boots like the ones Treva wears in The Trouble with Trolls.

We also learn that when a then nine year old Nathaniel Hawthorne was convalescing from a foot injury, he knitted his cat a pair of stockings.  (Sounds like something VC might do!)

There is also an article on Mrs. Oliphant and a hat pattern inspired by a scene in an George R.R. Martin book.  Great stuff.

Good to see you Desiree!  I hope the stars are in alignment for you and your family.

• Like 10

Ooooh, Jane!  I was just thinking about you -- thinking specifically about VC's dd joining us and that neither of our two reading ds's would ever do likewise! And thinking that you'd be one of the few people who might appreciate that college boy just described his DiffEq class as "fun".

Then I stop by here to check on the conversation and you've talked me into a subscription to Piecework magazine.  I'll have to see if I can find that current issue at my local B&N or JoAnnes.

I'm busy crocheting an Amineko cat to keep the college boy company for his senior year. I'm thinking I'll crochet a "bag of holding" (D&D reference -- a book bag) for the cat and crochet some little geology tools to go in the bag.  And crochet a giant tootsie roll for the spring when he finishes his big senior thesis (a college tradition -- Jane will understand). 

Mumto2, I believe it was you who recommended Death in Elysium, another cozy mystery featuring the wife of a small town English pastor. It is fun that it is a very English book -- the slang hasn't been washed out by American publishers, and the small town politics are at once familiar but definitely foreign, to this suburban Californian, at least.  And at the halfway point in the book the mystery is still evolving -- it is more a novel than a murder mystery.  Thumbs up!

Another summer and I'm playing another production of Into the Woods. Final dress tonight then 8 shows over the next two weekends.  Rose -- do your musical theater loving girls have an opinion on the movie version of Into the Woods? I've not seen it.

• Like 10

I am hindered by not being able to multiquote. I have already lost one post so I am determined!

Welcome Mommymilkies! Glad to see you back. :)

Ooooh, Jane! I was just thinking about you -- thinking specifically about VC's dd joining us and that neither of our two reading ds's would ever do likewise! And thinking that you'd be one of the few people who might appreciate that college boy just described his DiffEq class as "fun".

Then I stop by here to check on the conversation and you've talked me into a subscription to Piecework magazine. I'll have to see if I can find that current issue at my local B&N or JoAnnes.

I'm busy crocheting an Amineko cat to keep the college boy company for his senior year. I'm thinking I'll crochet a "bag of holding" (D&D reference -- a book bag) for the cat and crochet some little geology tools to go in the bag. And crochet a giant tootsie roll for the spring when he finishes his big senior thesis (a college tradition -- Jane will understand).

Mumto2, I believe it was you who recommended Death in Elysium, another cozy mystery featuring the wife of a small town English pastor. It is fun that it is a very English book -- the slang hasn't been washed out by American publishers, and the small town politics are at once familiar but definitely foreign, to this suburban Californian, at least. And at the halfway point in the book the mystery is still evolving -- it is more a novel than a murder mystery. Thumbs up!

Another summer and I'm playing another production of Into the Woods. Final dress tonight then 8 shows over the next two weekends. Rose -- do your musical theater loving girls have an opinion on the movie version of Into the Woods? I've not seen it.

Jenn, Glad you are enjoying the book. The politics of a British village are hard work for an outsider (me), especially someone who normally also has an opinion (also me), I have to think very hard before I speak. It really restricts me. :lol: As I remember that book was very accurate, lots of teeth sucking going on. A term everyone here uses for disapproval being shown but not really expressed verbally. You know they don't like it..... but no one is willing to say and perhaps let you know their solution for the problem. Somewhere I read that the author lives in a small village in the Midlands and is actually on the PCC so she knows what she is talking about.

Interesting historical tidbit I picked up at a lecture on WWI tonight.....Do you know where the phrase "to chat" originated? Chats are/were what lice/nits were called in those days. All the trench solders had them and carried a small candle. When they had a break in fighting they would light the candle and go up and down the seams of each others uniforms. The heat from the flame popped the lice eggs and they would be free for a couple days. Obviously they have conversation while chatting, this originated the term. Our chat board has a whole new meaning now.

Kareni, Before I forget I am glad you are enjoying the Scarlett Bernard series.

I also enjoyed the articles about the Shanna books. If they were a newish genre that explains alot. My mom was and still is a serious Harlequin reader. I had free range of those and I suspect she thought they were a version of Harlequin Historical. She dislikes historicals but would buy them for me at our used book store. She leaned towards Charlotte Lamb, Janet Daily, and Violet Winsper which definitely weren't the same level.

• Like 8

Hi Everyone!

It has been awhile since I have been here.   We have had a family crisis (an extended family member was murdered by her husband.)  We have spent the first half of this day with family and I am feeling unspeakably sad right now.  My first thought when I came on the computer was to come to this thread.  \Reading everyone's posts about books, reading,  their lives, have been so comforting to me.  Thank you.

In the spirit of this thread, I am currently trying to read  'Dangerous to Know ' by Tasha Alexander.  It is a good book but I am a bit distracted right now and am having troubles in keeping up with it.

Please forgive me for tossing nastiness into this safe place  but I so needed this safe place right now. 

• Like 14

Another summer and I'm playing another production of Into the Woods. Final dress tonight then 8 shows over the next two weekends.  Rose -- do your musical theater loving girls have an opinion on the movie version of Into the Woods? I've not seen it.

They've only seen the play so far.  In fact, I think we've had the movie version on hold at the library for something like 6 months!! I will have to break down and get Netflix DVDs at some point, I guess.

• Like 6

Hi Everyone!

It has been awhile since I have been here.   We have had a family crisis (an extended family member was murdered by her husband.)  We have spent the first half of this day with family and I am feeling unspeakably sad right now.  My first thought when I came on the computer was to come to this thread.  \Reading everyone's posts about books, reading,  their lives, have been so comforting to me.  Thank you.

In the spirit of this thread, I am currently trying to read  'Dangerous to Know ' by Tasha Alexander.  It is a good book but I am a bit distracted right now and am having troubles in keeping up with it.

Please forgive me for tossing nastiness into this safe place  but I so needed this safe place right now. 

Oh my goodness, Julia. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

So glad to see you here again  & so sorry to hear about the tragedy.

• Like 7

Hi Everyone!

:grouphug:  :grouphug: I am so sorry.  Been through the aftermath of a similar murder within extended family, too, so totally understand the unspeakable sadness and the need to turn to something life affirming, safe and friendly. It is very touching that this thread is such a place.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 8

Hi Everyone!

Julia,

This is a safe place for hugs and support.  So don't be a stranger!

Hugs to you,

Jane

• Like 6