Menu

Why for the purpose of tickets are 11 year olds adults?

SparklyUnicorn

What I don't get is, why are kids haircuts cheaper than adult haircuts? They wiggle ! Much higher degree if difficulty.

I'm guessing they want it to be cheap enough for you to think, "It's not worth the hassle of cutting it myself if I can pay someone else $8 to do it!". Most hairdressers around here aren't busy so every bit helps. I usually tip $7 for DS's $8 haircut because of the wiggle factor :)

The pediatric dentist said my child would be charged as an adult because she had a very large mouth.

She was seven at the time. 

What?  I would think a large mouth would make the teeth easier to clean.

So do I get a discount because I have fewer teeth than some people?  :P

This drives me nuts.  Especially for kids meals.  Heck, even I want a half portion meal sometimes.  And when the cutoff is 10?  That's just ridiculous.  What is so wrong with just selling half portion meals?  Not everybody wants a sandwich as big as their head.  

I order kids meals or senior meals whenever I can. Many restaurants won't fight you if you tell them the reason you want it is for portion size and not price. I hate monster portions. 

A friend just told me that she gets around this by ordering take-out. At their favorite steakhouse they order 1 adult meal + 3 kid meals for their family of 4 (youngest is 12yo). She asked if that was ok and was told that as long as there is an adult order then it was ok to order several kid meals with it. That was something I hadn't thought of doing. Not too many places are ok with that when you're dining in, though.

OTOH there are places like one of the local Mexican restaurants where their fajitas for one is big enough for 2 plus leftovers. One time we went after not having been in months, and we ordered fajitas for 2. The waiter paused, looked at us, and said, "Are you sure you want the fajitas for 2?" We'd forgotten how much food came for 1 so we revised our order and said we'd split it. He agreed that that made more sense. It's a bit of a novelty to find a restaurant that wants to sell you *less* food.  :D

• Like 1

We were just at a restaurant where the kids menu cut off was age 6. We don't eat out often but I thought 12 was typical.

We pass by a few buffet places where the kids price is based on height. My DS10 is 5ft and has always been tall for age. He would have to pay the adult rate from when he was 8.

Just FYI, movie theaters get little, if anything, from selling tickets to the movies, especially the week they come out. Nearly ALL their profits come from concessions. The audience the theater wants to attract isn't "anyone they can get" - it's "those people willing to shell out for popcorn and soda".

We have a theater near us where before noon tickets are only 2.50. Afternoons I think are 4 and evening is either 5 or 5.50, I can't remember. Anyway, they are always busy. Even an early movie that has been out for a couple of weeks is pretty busy. I take my kids to see lots of movies and we always get popcorn, candy and soda. Just because it is so cheap! Concession prices are good too- they have a refillable popcorn bucket that you can buy and refills are only .50 and free on Thursdays. There are often groups of disabled adults with caregivers there during the day. Once in a while dh and I go to an expensive theater near his parents house (because we can leave the kids with the ILs) and there's never more than a handful of people there. And their seats are uncomfortable. I believe that theaters would make lots more money if they lowered their prices significantly.

ETA: there are no kid prices at this theater, everyone pays the same. But they will let babies in free. The last time we went I was carrying my 1 yo and the ticket counter person said she would let him in free, but she wasn't really supposed to unless they were in a carrier.

Okay, adults that want half portions, get your doctor to write you a note for when you eat out, and you will get smaller portions. My MIL had bariatric surgery last year and carries around a card saying that she needs to eat less accordingly. She doesn't have any issues.

My 6 year old has been known to eat as much, if not more then me, and I am still lactating! He should be full fare sometimes.

We don't go to the movies. Amusement parks are expensive anyway you slice them. I have heard that there are airlines that want to charge by the pound (weight not currency) and while I would LOVE this idea, I imagine it hasn't happened yet because of the obese lobby in this country would say discrimination. My 2 year old though with car seat and luggage (maybe 100 lbs), doesn't take up as much resources on a plane as my MIL (did or does) with her luggage (330 lbs at her highest). Price accordingly.

I'm guessing they want it to be cheap enough for you to think, "It's not worth the hassle of cutting it myself if I can pay someone else $8 to do it!". Most hairdressers around here aren't busy so every bit helps. I usually tip $7 for DS's $8 haircut because of the wiggle factor :)

Exactly. It's important to remember that price is a function of what people will pay. People have a ceiling for how much sounds reasonable for a kids haircut and that's less than an adult haircut even if the adult haircut is less labor intensive. Though here, the cheap kids haircuts are more like $10-14. I haven't seen under $10 in ages.

We pass by a few buffet places where the kids price is based on height. My DS10 is 5ft and has always been tall for age. He would have to pay the adult rate from when he was 8.

Yeah, height is silly. We used to go to a berry farm, orchard, & petting zoo that was free for toddlers under X height. Just pick an age! The height was about an average 2-year-old. How is my freakishly tall 16-month-old going to get more out of it than a tiny 2-year-old?!?

We used to go to a buffet that charged $0.50 per year of age for kids 12 and under. 13+ was the adult price. It was a good deal :)

Exactly. It's important to remember that price is a function of what people will pay. People have a ceiling for how much sounds reasonable for a kids haircut and that's less than an adult haircut even if the adult haircut is less labor intensive. Though here, the cheap kids haircuts are more like $10-14. I haven't seen under $10 in ages.

One of the places around here is actually advertising $5 for ages 5-12! I haven't checked it out yet but probably will soon as DS is looking shaggy :)

The movie ticket thing has been that way for quite a while. My mom was 11 in 1965 and went to the movies with her 10-year-old best friend. The ticket seller accused them of lying about their ages as my mom looked younger and her friend looked older. Of course it made no sense to lie as they were still buying one adult and one child ticket either way!

• Like 1

Okay, adults that want half portions, get your doctor to write you a note for when you eat out, and you will get smaller portions. My MIL had bariatric surgery last year and carries around a card saying that she needs to eat less accordingly. She doesn't have any issues.

My 6 year old has been known to eat as much, if not more then me, and I am still lactating! He should be full fare sometimes.

We don't go to the movies. Amusement parks are expensive anyway you slice them. I have heard that there are airlines that want to charge by the pound (weight not currency) and while I would LOVE this idea, I imagine it hasn't happened yet because of the obese lobby in this country would say discrimination. My 2 year old though with car seat and luggage (maybe 100 lbs), doesn't take up as much resources on a plane as my MIL (did or does) with her luggage (330 lbs at her highest). Price accordingly.

Smh. 

• Like 2

Yeah, height is silly. We used to go to a berry farm, orchard, & petting zoo that was free for toddlers under X height. Just pick an age!  

At amusement parks, the height thing is because the shorter kids can't ride certain attractions, regardless of age. 

At other places, I think it's because so many people are lying liars who tell lies. You can lie about your kid's age, but not his height. 

• Like 5

With the airlines, we are always looking for heavily discounted fares, so I don't expect a discount on top of a discount, I just go for the lowest available fare and pay the same for DD as I do for my wife and me. That will be the same next month when we go to Bogota and later this year when we go up to the states.

Movie theaters here probably begin charging Adult tariff when the kids are about 12 years old. I'll try to look, the next time I go to the mall to see what the age cutoff is.   I don't remember if there was a discount for DD last year, when we toured various tourist points of interest in/near Bogota.  

I remember when Disney World was like that. And there were different levels of tickets for rides. I believe that E-tickets were cheapest and they worked for It's a Small World.

E-tickets were the most expensive ones, and, yes, It's A Small World was an E-ticket. Remember, this was when there was only one park at Disney World. A-ticket attractions were things like the carousel and the train.

At amusement parks, the height thing is because the shorter kids can't ride certain attractions, regardless of age.

At other places, I think it's because so many people are lying liars who tell lies. You can lie about your kid's age, but not his height.

Sigh. That's probably true. I was shocked we weren't questioned at Legoland when we went the week before his 3rd birthday, as he could easily pass for 4. They probably don't want to lose customers, even if they are being cheated by cheating cheaters who cheat ;). We sure spent a lot in the store...

A friend just told me that she gets around this by ordering take-out. At their favorite steakhouse they order 1 adult meal + 3 kid meals for their family of 4 (youngest is 12yo). She asked if that was ok and was told that as long as there is an adult order then it was ok to order several kid meals with it. That was something I hadn't thought of doing. Not too many places are ok with that when you're dining in, though.

OTOH there are places like one of the local Mexican restaurants where their fajitas for one is big enough for 2 plus leftovers. One time we went after not having been in months, and we ordered fajitas for 2. The waiter paused, looked at us, and said, "Are you sure you want the fajitas for 2?" We'd forgotten how much food came for 1 so we revised our order and said we'd split it. He agreed that that made more sense. It's a bit of a novelty to find a restaurant that wants to sell you *less* food.  :D

Ha!  Five Guys did that for me one time.  "Ma'am you do NOT want two fries for your family of 7."  Good thing he let me know!  

We are super broke, so if I'm paying for a full adult meal, I'd rather get all the food and take it home for leftovers.  That's not always possible, though. 

• Like 1

In Australia, at least in the part I live, it is standard practice for just about anywhere, cinemas included, to have children's tickets, usually to age 12, and then to have 'student' tickets, for high schoolers (age 12-17 provided you are still attending school and thus have a student ID card. 16 year olds who are working/apprenticing/etc have to pay adult rates, a sore spot with my sister who dropped out due to learning disabilities, and was apprenticing full time a couple of weeks before her 15th birthday)

And usually kids are free under 3-5, depending on the facility. So, actually, Australia has it pretty good as far as fair ticket pricing

Except that almost ALL 'family tickets' are two adults, two kids. That annoys me to no end.