Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW28: history and writing

Robin M

Happy Sunday Dear hearts:  We are on week 28 in our quest to read 52 books.  Welcome back to our regulars, anyone just joining in, and to all who follow our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is also in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Learning through history and writingI've been knee deep searching for curriculum for next school year.  James will be studying World History for 10th grade which means I've been researching and following a lot of rabbit trails the past few weeks.  He loves history, especially the World War II era and has been following his own rabbit trails the past year.  I'm hoping to engage his sense of curiosity in regards to other eras as well.   I stumbled upon W.W. Norton's website and fell in love.  I discovered Worlds Together, Worlds Apart and after a short debate with myself decided to go for it.  Along with an Anthology of Western Literature.  *sigh*   

Since he loves history and loves to write, followed a meandering path to A Pocket Guide to Writing In History

pocket%2Bguide%2Bto%2Bwriting%2Bin%2Bhis

As well as John Lewis Gaddis' The Landscape of History: How Historians Map the Past and Daniel Boorstin's The Discoverers: A History of man's Search to Know His World and Himself. I'm pretty sure one of you lovely ladies mentioned Boorstin, but don't remember who exactly. Many thanks.   Fortunately, he enjoys reading non fiction which has opened my eyes to some very interesting books which I would have never considered before. 

Finally decided since he is so into history, to include a bit of Art history as well.  I don't know if any of you have reading books from the Dummies series. They are kind of hit and miss depending on the subject.  We recently started reading  Art History for Dummies after dinner and it's more enjoyable than Stokard's mammoth Art History book. Sorry Marilyn.  However, I couldn't resist getting Gombrich's The Story of Art:

Story%2Bof%2BArt.jpg

For my own personal amusement and education, I am reading Dinty Moore's  The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction: Advice and Essential Exercises from Respected Writers, Editors, and Teachers.  Yes, I know, quite wordy but what do you expect from writers. *grin*   

History of the Medieval World - Chapter 32 South Indian Kings  pp 231 - 236

What have you been reading and studying lately? 

• Like 14

I read Murder on the Orient Express - 3 Stars - I was slightly disappointed in this since I felt that the pace was slow and really didn’t achieve a climax as such until the final chapter. Reading this took me much longer than it should have, mainly because I felt bored and sleepy through much of it. Nonetheless, I’d still like to try out more Agatha Christie books. The ending was brilliant and unexpected. I think that there may be a possibility that my usual rule of preferring books over movies might not apply when it comes to Agatha Christie. I’ve loved every Agatha Christie movie that I’ve seen, yet I’m not so sure about the books. 

9780007527502.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 16

Sorry to post so late, I slept in.  :laugh: :grouphug:

Currently reading Karen Moning's Bloodfever, # 2 in her fever series.   Also in the midst of a couple writing books including the writing non fiction flash guide for which I'll be leading a class for over at WVU.   I also ready to get back into Swann's way, so will be diving in this week.

• Like 12

I read Murder on the Orient Express - 3 Stars - I was slightly disappointed in this since I felt that the pace was slow and really didn’t achieve a climax as such until the final chapter. Reading this took me much longer than it should have, mainly because I felt bored and sleepy through much of it. Nonetheless, I’d still like to try out more Agatha Christie books. The ending was brilliant and unexpected. I think that there may be a possibility that my usual rule of preferring books over movies might not apply. I’ve loved every Agatha Christie movie that I’ve seen, yet I’m not so sure about the books. 

9780007527502.jpg

The ending really was a surprise because just when I thought I had it figured out, found out I didn't and she turned the tables on the reader. I totally agree with you, it was brilliant.

• Like 8

Sorry to post so late, I slept in.  :laugh: :grouphug:

Thanks for the new thread. I tried to sleep in a bit too, but alas, it was not to be.

I have spent most of my reading time this week working on read aloud: Kim (kipling) and A Glory of Unicorns (Coville).

For myself I am reading two books by Marva Collins, teacher extraordinaire: Marva Collins' Way and Values: Lighting the Candle of Excellence. She is truly inspiring and has made me step up my game. I haven't changed much yet because we are preparing to go on vacation, but I have big plans starting when we return.

We're going to be studying Shakespeare this year. We took the kids to see The Tempest last year. I wasn't sure it had stuck with them but when I mentioned that I got tickets for King Lear (at a different venue, with adult actors) they were so excited and started talking about The Tempest.  :001_wub:

• Like 14

Robin I love the W. W. Norton site and their anthologies. I just packed my copies of the Anthology of British Literature and the Anthology of American Literature. I use the Norton site when I teach lit. history. I'm assuming you found the study spaces websites :)

My reading since I last reported

60. Kiss Me by Susan Mallery

61. The Last Thing He Needs by J. H. Knight

62. In Front of God and Everyone by Nealy Wagner

63. Everything He Needs by J. H. Knight

64. It's Never Over by Nealy Wagner

65. HIM by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy

My review of Kiss Me will be up on the blog next week and I am working on reviews of the others. HIM is an ARC and it was just a lovely m/m romance. It left me happy.

This week I will be reading Linda Castillo's After the Storm which is due out on Tuesday and I will be continuing to read Girls of Atomic City.

• Like 13

I am more a Miss Marple fan then a Hercules Poirot fan.

I got this book this week:

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Biblical-Womanhood-Liberated-Covering/dp/1595553673/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436722081&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Racheld+held+evans

And I love it :).

I had to laugh very loudly :)

I can see some circles of christians might be hurt by this book.

But I don't think this is her purpose.

To me, the book is very liberating and gives stuff to talk about in our household.

I like that :)

• Like 14

I finished a few shorter books over the week.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. I did enjoy this. I liked his collage style, constantly bringing things back in to compare them to something else. (Sorry, didn't write down any examples.) I have read only one other Palahniuk book (Choke), and I felt like the style and characters were similar. I get the feeling that a person could only read so much by this author, or at least the books would have to be read  fairly far apart so you don't tire of the style. (But my husband tells me Survivor and Pygmy are different enough from his usual thing.) The one thing I really didn't like about the book was that it took a sociopath to start a revolution. The personality that got things done lacked emotions and empathy, and that would seem to discredit the many truths in the book and the whole idea of a revolution.

the meatgirl whatever by Kristin Hatch. Poetry. A little Joycean. The poet uses interesting grammar, modifiers and portmanteau, which makes for a cute voice that contrasts with cussing and dark ideas and themes. I found some of it unintelligible, but still, it's tough to choose a poem to post because I loved so many of them. Many are kind of long. I'll post one separately.

Love's Labour's Lost by Shakespeare. Silly. I look forward to a performance of it this Tuesday.

I'm continuing with The Three Musketeers, and I have several books here that I'd like to start: Daisy Miller, The Duino Elegies, and Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate

• Like 13

A Kristin Hatch poem. Within the book there is a set of poems about working in a restaurant. Here is one of them.

Hunger Haven

in the walk-in, everything is honest

& stacked in well-marked tubs. you can think about a bath

of cold noodles or death.

they say, years ago, before i was here,

an old lady was eating soup by the window

& then she just died quiet

& they found her still at closing.

on good days, when it smells like green beans here,

i think of her like a lullaby

& our work, our good work, is wholesome.

in the walk-in it smells young like all the things you

haven't done yet.

the guy at table sixteen calls himself a regular, but

everyone here eye-rolls.

he calls you by name & says it a lot. the consonants

ping-pong on his teeth & the vowels

are swear words he likes saying.

one time he told tanya to call him uncle eddie, but

his credit card says sam.

in the walk-in, your arms cross in front of you for fake winter.

you can sometimes sit on an empty upside-down tofu bucket.

this whole place is an animal

& here in the walk-in, you are crouched safely in its white,

panicked lung.

uncle e-thing always wants tepid water with a lemon wedge.

once, i forgot about the ice.

i brought him the ice & he shouted & waved his hands a bunch. i was scared he

didn't like me & that any second he'd

ask for tanya.

& my face burnt & suddenly i wanted him to think i was pretty.

in the walk-in, it's like stagedeath in someone's arms,

that booming tenor showtune, because sung-to is more comforting

that being the singer for obvious reasons.

you have to cut a whole lemon if it's lunch and the bar isn't open yet

& if the bar is open they get mad at you for stealing their lemons. i mean,

it's just a lemon. you can handle a lemon & the bar really doesn't care.

it's just uncle blah-blah-blah & how you've already given up

just to say his name & eddie-sam likes that & that one time, how you were.

it makes you blush to think of it, so you just shut up & don't.

in movies, that moment before a buck gets shot & either lives or dies

depending on the storyline

how its face turns to the gun & hush.

you are crouching in its lung.

• Like 11

Kareni I also enjoyed the Rusk series. Have you read Elle Kennedy's Off Campus series? It starts with The Deal.

I'm looking forward to that series.  My library has the books on order but they have yet to arrive.

I finished book two in the Rusk series at about one this morning.  (I was waiting for the three loaves of bread my husband had baked to cool enough to bag.  He usually makes bread in a bread machine, but the pan expired a couple of days ago.)  I enjoyed the book.

All Broke Down: A Rusk University Novel by Cora Carmack

"In this second book in New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Cora Carmack's New Adult, Texas-set Rusk University series, which began with All Lined Up, a young woman discovers that you can't only fight for what you believe in . . . sometimes you have to fight for what you love. 

Dylan fights for lost causes. Probably because she used to be one.

Environmental issues, civil rights, education--you name it, she's probably been involved in a protest. When her latest cause lands her in jail for a few hours, she meets Silas Moore. He's in for a different kind of fighting. And though he's arrogant and not at all her type, she can't help being fascinated with him. Yet another lost cause.

Football and trouble are the only things that have ever come naturally to Silas. And it's trouble that lands him in a cell next to do-gooder Dylan. He's met girls like her before--fixers, he calls them, desperate to heal the damage and make him into their ideal boyfriend. But he doesn't think he's broken, and he definitely doesn't need a girlfriend trying to change him. Until, that is, his anger issues and rash decisions threaten the only thing he really cares about, his spot on the Rusk University football team. Dylan might just be the perfect girl to help.

Because Silas Moore needs some fixing after all."

I'll be interested in reading Stella's story at some point.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

We're going to be studying Shakespeare this year. We took the kids to see The Tempest last year. I wasn't sure it had stuck with them but when I mentioned that I got tickets for King Lear (at a different venue, with adult actors) they were so excited and started talking about The Tempest.  :001_wub:

Nice!

• Like 6

You have all been busy. I finished the buy me the sky book. In the appendix was a copy of the di zi GUI. Hate autocorrect but I think that's how to write it. I always find it interesting how many common threads there are between traditional wisdom of different cultures though each have their own individual flavour. It reminded me of the book of proverbs.

Otherwise I am still on a pratchett binge. I am borrowing them in order which is interesting

• Like 12

Losje I read A Year of Biblical Womanhood last year (or possibly the year before) and I really enjoyed it. Glad you are liking it too! I really want to read her book Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions

Evolving in Monkey Town has a new title I thought, I might misgoogle but it seems I can't find it in Dutch translation.

Searching for Sunday will be available in Dutch this fall, so I suppose I will try to get that one.

DH is reading it now too, wondering what book made me so laugh and smile :)

• Like 10

Actually, this one was the free In Sync audio book from earlier this summer, narrated by Anton Lesser.  But, the very same lines are super memorable for this one, too! Now I'm intrigued and I will have to check out the Jarvis version. 

I'm thinking this might be the way to get the kids into Dickens - one you hear the voices in your head, it never leaves you, does it?

The In Sync book that was paired with Great Expectations this year was Terry Pratchett's Dodger. I started listening to it yesterday, and love it! It's narrated by Stephen Briggs, who does an amazing job, and what a very clever book! I had to keep pausing and repeating funny lines out the window to dh.  

Now I'm intrigued -- I recently bought an audiobook of Milton's Paradise Lost, which is narrated by ... Anton Lesser! Listening to (and reading along with) Paradise Lost is coming up in my informal book queue. :) I will have to try out Anton Lesser's Great Expectations now. And yes, the audiobooks were a wonderful gateway for my kids to enjoy Dickens. And I'll have to check out Dodger, too! 

• Like 12

I finished Frank Bruni's Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be, basically a book that says you don't need to go to Harvard/Princeton/Yale and the like to have a successful life, though in recent years too many people think acceptance to these schools is the key to a happy, successful life. This was not new thinking for me, but I enjoyed reading it. We'll need to begin thinking about colleges for our sophomore dd in the next year or two.

Like Rose (last thread), my to-be-read pile has grown leaps and bounds this last week. I'm trying hard to get Guantanamo Diary done before it's due on Tuesday, then will tackle the rest, maybe in this order, maybe not:

Guantanamo Diary

Station Eleven (14-day book, have another week plus a day or two)

The Just City (14-day book that just arrived for me)

Go Set a Watchman (arrives this week! Dd will probably get to it first)

GlimmerGlass (thanks, Stacia!)

Americanah (August book club read)

Dear Mr. Knightley (Angel I think?)

The Lady and the Unicorn (July Tracy Chevalier read)

My Family and Other Animals (pre-read for dd)

Wish I could devote hours per day to reading. Wish I could read as fast as Eliana and Kareni. I am looking forward to all of these--no "chore" reading in this pile!

• Like 15

I am reading Heliopolis by James Scudmore.

From Booklist

A child of the slums, Ludwig “Ludo†Aparecido dos Santos is blessed by being taken in as an infant by supermarket magnate Ze Fischer Carnicelli, whose humanitarian wife, Rebecca, is so enchanted by the flavor of beans and rice on a visit to the Brazilian shantytown, or favela, that she hires Ludo’s mother as a cook. At 14, Ludo is adopted by his benefactor, who educates him in the States, then puts him in a pointless marketing job: “Alchemy exists; we call it branding, that’s all.†At 27, Ludo is in a decidedly unbrotherly intimate relationship with his adoptive sister, Melissa, when an assignment to pitch a new string of markets aimed at the poor residents of the favela leads to Ludo’s unearthing the truth about his heritage. Scudamore (The Amnesia Clinic, 2007) vividly portrays a city based on São Paulo, with its haves (living in a gated city) and its more populous have-nots, as he tells Ludo’s story in flashbacks and explores the issue of belonging. A Booker Prize nominee, this pulses with the vibrance—and occasional violence—of city life. --Michele Leber

• Like 12

I'm looking forward to that series. My library has the books on order but they have yet to arrive.

I finished book two in the Rusk series at about one this morning. (I was waiting for the three loaves of bread my husband had baked to cool enough to bag. He usually makes bread in a bread machine, but the pan expired a couple of days ago.) I enjoyed the book.

All Broke Down: A Rusk University Novel by Cora Carmack

"In this second book in New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Cora Carmack's New Adult, Texas-set Rusk University series, which began with All Lined Up, a young woman discovers that you can't only fight for what you believe in . . . sometimes you have to fight for what you love.

Dylan fights for lost causes. Probably because she used to be one.

Environmental issues, civil rights, education--you name it, she's probably been involved in a protest. When her latest cause lands her in jail for a few hours, she meets Silas Moore. He's in for a different kind of fighting. And though he's arrogant and not at all her type, she can't help being fascinated with him. Yet another lost cause.

Football and trouble are the only things that have ever come naturally to Silas. And it's trouble that lands him in a cell next to do-gooder Dylan. He's met girls like her before--fixers, he calls them, desperate to heal the damage and make him into their ideal boyfriend. But he doesn't think he's broken, and he definitely doesn't need a girlfriend trying to change him. Until, that is, his anger issues and rash decisions threaten the only thing he really cares about, his spot on the Rusk University football team. Dylan might just be the perfect girl to help.

Because Silas Moore needs some fixing after all."

I'll be interested in reading Stella's story at some point.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm waiting for Stella also. I just discovered my library has another series by Cora Carmack that looks interesting. I think the series was titled Losing It. Has anyone read any of these?

I am currently about 80 percent through a book that has been on my list for months and recently appeared on one of our other lists, The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10611852/Harry-Quebert-The-French-thriller-that-has-taken-the-world-by-storm.html. I just went looking for a review and found this. I never would have guessed the book was written by a French author.

This book basically a cold case mystery but it is cleverly constructed. Each time you think you know who did it something happens and you are wrong. I have no idea who did it....many theories but since I have already been wrong no real idea. Very well done but long. Not dragging long, just long and good. Looking forward to the end because I really want to know what happens.

• Like 12

Robin I love the W. W. Norton site and their anthologies. I just packed my copies of the Anthology of British Literature and the Anthology of American Literature. I use the Norton site when I teach lit. history. I'm assuming you found the study spaces websites :)

Yes, I did and so very cool and helpful. 

• Like 8

I haven't finished anything, though I expect to finish at least one, maybe two, before the week is out. My already to-read list got bigger when the next book club choice was announced - Tell the Wolves I'm Home.  I won't be able to make the meeting due to ds' night class, so at least I don't have  a deadline to finish it. I do want to read it at some point before the book after this one is chosen.

From last week's thread:

I seem to be experiencing author burn out for lack of a better description with some of my series writing favourites. It made me a bit sad to give up on my last James Patterson series lately. I was 20 percent into the book and the thought " do I even care?" Came to mind, Stopped reading. I read all of his for years, then selected series and co authors, now none.

That happens to me, especially if I go through a series too quickly. I still haven't read the last two Chief Inspector Gamache books even though I have both of them. Part was burnout, and part was because the books kept getting farther and farther away from being police procedurals. I want characters in a series to have depth and to grow, but the reason I liked this series was because they were police procedurals. They became more psychological as the series progressed and I lost interest.

The ending really was a surprise because just when I thought I had it figured out, found out I didn't and she turned the tables on the reader. I totally agree with you, it was brilliant.

She was certainly a master at pulling out a surprise ending. 

• Like 13

I just discovered my library has another series by Cora Carmack that looks interesting. I think the series was titled Losing It. Has anyone read any of these?

I read Losing It shortly after it came out, and I enjoyed it.  It is on my shelf; I also have the as yet unread sequel in one of my myriad piles.   I foresee a re-read/new read in the near future.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

After a very tidy coup d'etat Catherine has deposed her husband Peter III and taken power. Peter came to a very unpleasant end at the hands of his bodyguards, employed by the new Empress, thus casting a shadow on Catherine's reign. A little research tells me her reign lasted 30 years. I'm quite keen to see her step into a role she seems well-suited to. She was extremely intelligent, very well read and effectively decisive when it came to matters of state. I'm reading this one slowly as there are many names, families and battles to track. Some interesting wiki info...

The period of Catherine the Great's rule, the Catherinian Era, is often considered the Golden Age of the Russian Empire and the Russian nobility. The Manifesto on Freedom of the Nobility, issued during the short reign of Peter III and confirmed by Catherine, freed Russian nobles from compulsory military or state service. Construction of many mansions of the nobility, in the classical style endorsed by the Empress, changed the face of the country. A notable example of an enlightened despot, a correspondent of Voltaire and an amateur opera librettist, Catherine presided over the age of the Russian Enlightenment, when the Smolny Institute, the first state-financed higher education institution for women in Europe, was established.

• Like 15

Just got back from two weeks of traveling.  Took some of the books that had been on the pile far too long...

The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax -- I've enjoyed each one of this series so far

Beauty by Robin McKinley -- this was much better than I expected

Pistols for Two by Georgette Heyer -- not good not bad, perfect for reading at the beach

Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu -- I think The Snow Queen will just never be one of my favorites.  Actually nothing by Hans Christian Anderson is, so all the pulling in of different stories... didn't exactly improve the book for me.

The Ruby Key by Holly Lisle -- also better than expected

• Like 13

I read Losing It shortly after it came out, and I enjoyed it. It is on my shelf; I also have the as yet unread sequel in one of my myriad piles. I foresee a re-read/new read in the near future.

Regards,

Kareni

I was going to post that there were far more than 2 books in this series but discovered they are all novellas sandwiched between the main books. https://www.goodreads.com/series/91922. There is a third but not sure if it is available yet.

I really dislike that new trend, adding short ebook novellas that advance the plot. It drives me nuts as a serial reader. I am also a series buyer who refuses to buy a series piecemeal. I want all or nothing and in the same format....hardbacks, paperbacks, and I guess ebooks. I haven't actually bought a series on ebook yet so I don't really know. ;) I do know that mixing ebooks with hardcopy books would be weird and a bit upsetting for me.

:lol: Now that I have ranted I will say that the series including novellas appear to be available at my library's overdrive...I haven't checked that they are kindle format. I do like that the library seems to buy the novellas because I never would.

• Like 10

Hello everyone!

I started a fun nature/travel book yesterday, Soaring with Fidel: an Osprey Odyssey from Cape Cod to Cuba and Beyond. Author David Gessner is engaging. There is some science, many observations on the people who spend their lives observing birds, and some poetical thoughts on migrations. Nice book.

• Like 16

I just got back from "summer"ing two of my boys and some girlfriends. One is a city girl who has never really had summer, as my son put it. We tried hard to make it comfortable and unscary for her but probably still failed miserably. I guess the skunks, mosquitoes, moths, giant dock spiders, hatching dragonflies, loons, fish, and snapping turtles didn,t get the memo. Only the cute little chippy and the dear baby blue grey gnat catcher in its birchbark nest cooperated with our efforts. I couldn,t take the kids to the library before we went up because of the holiday, so I gathered a mix of books of my own and set up a library in the back of my stationwagon for them. That at least was successful. Interestingly, both girls read scifi. Eliana - citygirl enjoyed you Quakers in space book very much. The other was reading Dandelion Wine. (Is dandylion really spelled with an E? Surely not... Although now I think of it, I guess it could be because it really is lion,s tooth, not a lion who enjoys clothes. But anyway...) the boys read mysteries. Jane - i,ve been can,t-waiting to give youngest Maddingly Grange. He enjoyed it very much, except for the bit when they give a trauma patient aspirin (grrr... and there is an e that is really an i). That sparked a discussion of truth in fiction. The author,s statement that she tried to be as scientifically accurate as possible in the Quaker book was appreciated. (Sorry - books still packed and I,m rotten at remembering titles - must use the same brain section of one,s brain as spelling.) Middle son read a Ngaio Marsh mystery. So did husband. I read Guard, Guard (or is it plural?), Star of Khazan, and finally finished La chanteuse-dragon de Pern. Oldest didn,t read anything. He,s living adventures rather than reading about them. He was just struck by lightening while frantically trying to undo the coupling out on the gantry so the fuel barge could move away from his ship. He,s ok, miraculously. And now I have to go find my field guide and identify spiders for my young nephews. I can,t wait to read the thread and see what everyone is doing.

Nan

• Like 17

I was going to post that there were far more than 2 books in this series but discovered they are all novellas sandwiched between the main books. https://www.goodreads.com/series/91922. There is a third but not sure if it is available yet.

I really dislike that new trend, adding short ebook novellas that advance the plot. It drives me nuts as a serial reader. I am also a series buyer who refuses to buy a series piecemeal. I want all or nothing and in the same format....hardbacks, paperbacks, and I guess ebooks. I haven't actually bought a series on ebook yet so I don't really know. ;) I do know that mixing ebooks with hardcopy books would be weird and a bit upsetting for me.

:lol: Now that I have ranted I will say that the series including novellas appear to be available at my library's overdrive...I haven't checked that they are kindle format. I do like that the library seems to buy the novellas because I never would.

I like the little novellas but they should NOT forward the plot, but rather be little character sketches. Or showing what happened later or something like that.

• Like 12

I finished Frank Bruni's Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be, basically a book that says you don't need to go to Harvard/Princeton/Yale and the like to have a successful life, though in recent years too many people think acceptance to these schools is the key to a happy, successful life. This was not new thinking for me, but I enjoyed reading it. We'll need to begin thinking about colleges for our sophomore dd in the next year or two.

Like Rose (last thread), my to-be-read pile has grown leaps and bounds this last week. I'm trying hard to get Guantanamo Diary done before it's due on Tuesday, then will tackle the rest, maybe in this order, maybe not:

GlimmerGlass (thanks, Stacia!)

Dear Mr. Knightley (Angel I think?)

Wish I could devote hours per day to reading. Wish I could read as fast as Eliana and Kareni. I am looking forward to all of these--no "chore" reading in this pile!

Yep!  That was me!  Between it and The Historian I'm having a hard time settling in to another book  :glare:  They were both really good.

My library didn't have GlimmerGlass  :glare:   I was really bummed about that.  

And I agree with your last statement!  I used to have so much time to read and now not so much!  Maybe I have too much on my plate.  :glare:

Angel, who is feeling incredibly grumpy today with a sore neck/shoulder  :glare:   :001_tt2:

• Like 14

I had a long post almost finished last night but it was swallowed whole and disappeared in a computer hiccup.  

Survived the hordes of nerds, geeks, fanboys and fangirls and the lookyloos at Comic-con. Wound up with only 1 new book this year, an ARC giveaway by Bradley Beaulieu, Twelve Kings in Sharakhai, which I'm enjoying.  It is good epic fantasy -- the world building isn't as brilliant as Brandon Sanderson, but the characters are good and the female lead is strong and smart.

Spent lots of time there with an old friend from homeschool days. We enjoyed a leisurely couple of hours Saturday afternoon at a downtown restaurant, eating tapas and sipping wine while looking out the window at the thronging hordes, then went back into the fray to see a panel by Mythbuster's Adam Savage which also featured Andy Weir (author of The Martian), Alton Brown (the nerdy Food Network chef), astronaut Chris Hardwick and astronomer Phil Plait (I think that's his name -- writes the Bad Astronomy blog...). Needless to say it was quite funny. I also geeked out with my college boy at 3 different NASA and JPL panels. Those people are like rock stars to me!!  Just whip smart and engaging and creative, and most of them are geeked out to be at Comic-con, too.  Oh, and I got to experience Mars via 3-D virtual reality goggles, which was totally cool.

This little video at Nerdist perfectly sums up the standard fan's experience at Comic-con:  Comic-con the Musical

• Like 17

So yesterday I finished two short books.  I am having a hard time getting into another book after two great ones back to back.  I read Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink for my Book Club.  We chose “pick a book from your childhood†for our July selection, and Baby Island was one of my favorites!  The book is well worn and has pages falling out J  As someone who loved babies from a very early age (I had wanted 10 when I married), I thought that Mary and Jean’s situation was truly ideal lol!  Who wouldn’t want to be stuck on a deserted tropical island with a bunch of babies?  Anyway, it was just as sweet in my adulthood and it was in childhood!  A SWEET BOOK, especially for young girls who just love babies.   

I also reread A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison.  I wanted something inspiring since I am in planning mode.  I have always loved the idea of Charlotte Mason.  And though I do follow some of her principals loosely, the reality of it never has worked quite out for me, especially since Aly is a workbook kind of kid.  The CM method always has so many things going on, or maybe I should say that Charlotte always put so much in front of her children for them to experience and learn.  I’m always aspiring to add a few more aspects even at Aly’s age.  I came away with a few nuggets to remember as I put together our Friday’s (we only do math on Friday’s now to leave time to do a little CM school).  A GREAT LITTLE BOOK if you are interested in Charlotte Mason in a nutshell.  

I'm listening to one of the Rush Revere books because dh just read it and we leave for Boston very soon.  I'm still picking up Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at night when I'm not falling asleep.  I started The Clockwork Scarab but am having trouble getting into it.  And I think I'll start Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier today for the author of the month.  Something really needs to stick  :laugh:

• Like 16

Here are the most recent additions to my list:

#61 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Robert Louis Stevenson; 1884 (2012). 144 pages. Fiction.)
#60 The Bunker, Vol. 2 (Joshua Hale Fialkov; 2015. 136 pages. Graphic Fiction.)
#59 Day Four (Sarah Lotz (2015). 352 pages. Fiction.)
#58 The Bunker, Vol. 1 (Joshua Hale Fialkov; 2014. 128 pages. Graphic Fiction.)

The Misses and I *loved* the Stevenson. Thank you to the BaWer who recently posted about it. Splendid!

I am halfway through Hayasaki's The Death Class (related article here).

For those of you in the Chicagoland area, "Van Gogh to Pollock: The Modern Rebels" at the Milwaukee Art Museum is worth the drive. My family spent the afternoon at the exhibit yesterday. The following are this poster's images:

img_5299.jpg?w=550&h=413

img_5302.jpg?w=550&h=413

img_5315.jpg?w=550&h=413

img_5324.jpg?w=550&h=413

And are there any Renaissance Faire folk in our midst? The Bristol Ren Faire opened on Saturday. Good times, good times.

• Like 16

Angel, I too adored Baby Island as a young girl. I read that and another Brink book, The Pink Motel, over and over.

Jane, we regularly ride a ferry across a river where we get to see osprey families come into being every year on special platforms that have been built offshore. This year there were two big nests. The babies are still dappled but they are flying with thier parents now.

• Like 11

I just got back from "summer"ing two of my boys and some girlfriends. ...

I enjoyed reading about your portable lending library, Nan.  I'm very glad to hear that your son is okay after having been struck by lightning.

Last night I finished Carla Kelly's quartet of regency novellas ~ In Love and War: A Collection of Love Stories.

Carla Kelly writes some lovely stories, and I enjoyed the collection.  The Amazon reviewer Lady Wesley at the link above has a very nice review of the book; it starts,

"Why haven't I read Carla Kelly before? Well, it's my loss.

This ebook is a new reissue of four utterly charming short stories about the men who fought for England in the early 19th century and the women who came to love them. There are not a lot of lords and ladies but rather real people living real lives. As might be expected from a short story, each couple falls in love rather rapidly, but in a quite believable manner. ..." 

These stories would be appropriate for all readers.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Amazon indicates that all three novels are available ~

Yes, I agree.  I don't mind novellas so long as they are free standing of the main storyline.

One of my favorite authors, Courtney Milan, went to a self-publishing format after two books in her Turner series.  So, two of the series are standard paperbacks while the third is a large paperback.   That was disconcerting!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Thanks for the new thread. I tried to sleep in a bit too, but alas, it was not to be.

I have spent most of my reading time this week working on read aloud: Kim (kipling) and A Glory of Unicorns (Coville).

For myself I am reading two books by Marva Collins, teacher extraordinaire: Marva Collins' Way and Values: Lighting the Candle of Excellence. She is truly inspiring and has made me step up my game. I haven't changed much yet because we are preparing to go on vacation, but I have big plans starting when we return.

We're going to be studying Shakespeare this year. We took the kids to see The Tempest last year. I wasn't sure it had stuck with them but when I mentioned that I got tickets for King Lear (at a different venue, with adult actors) they were so excited and started talking about The Tempest. :001_wub:

What are you changing? (Just curious... : ))

Nan

• Like 9

img_5299.jpg?w=550&h=413

img_5302.jpg?w=550&h=413

img_5315.jpg?w=550&h=413

img_5324.jpg?w=550&h=413

And are there any Renaissance Faire folk in our midst? The Bristol Ren Faire opened on Saturday. Good times, good times.

Both of those outings sound like so much fun!  I'm not a huge Picaso fan but we love Van Gogh.

Angel, I too adored Baby Island as a young girl. I read that and another Brink book, The Pink Motel, over and over.

How cool!  It's not once that is mentioned very often but I so loved it!

Angel, I like your new avatar. Lovely picture. Is it from your vacation?

Yes!  Thank you!  It's from Boca Grande, FL.  We love to go here and walk the beach when we visit my father-in-law.  

• Like 11

I put aside When We Were Orphans to read Pieces and Players, Blue Balliett's latest book. I like the tapestry of the story, but I think it would have been much better if she had dropped the puberty angle. ðŸ˜

Squeal!  We love Blue Balliett here and had no idea about this new book!  Thanks!

I have been working on my book challenge and recently read All the Old Knives by Olen Steinhauer for the "read in one day" category.  It's a short spy novel that was very good!  I have to say that it bugs me when the book jacket says there is a "shocking twist!" or some such because then I'm *expecting* it and I tend to figure it out.  Anyhow, spy thrillers are becoming a new favorite genre for me and I will probably try Steinhauer's Milo Weaver series, starting with The Tourist.

Before that, I read Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCreight and The Murder of Harriet Krohn by Karin Fossum.  That was probably my least favorite of Fossum's.  Books that focus on the killer's perspective can either fly or flop and this was just OK.  

I'm now on to The Poisoner: The Life and Crimes of Victorian England's Most Notorious Doctor by Stephen Bates.  Very interesting.  I'm always captivated by the serendipitous occurrences that allow killers to continue doing their deeds!  If only 'THIS' had happened, they'd have been caught so much sooner! and such.  :)

• Like 14

So yesterday I finished two short books.  I am having a hard time getting into another book after two great ones back to back.  I read Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink for my Book Club.  We chose “pick a book from your childhood†for our July selection, and Baby Island was one of my favorites!  The book is well worn and has pages falling out J  As someone who loved babies from a very early age (I had wanted 10 when I married), I thought that Mary and Jean’s situation was truly ideal lol!  Who wouldn’t want to be stuck on a deserted tropical island with a bunch of babies?  Anyway, it was just as sweet in my adulthood and it was in childhood!  A SWEET BOOK, especially for young girls who just love babies.   

Baby Island was my middle dd's first favorite book. Not her first book, but the first that she read over and over and over again. Our copy is also falling apart.

• Like 11

Fun to see you ladies talking about Rachel Held Evans! I loved Year Of Biblical Womanhood!!

I finished Charlaine Harris' Day Shift and Helen Oyeyemi's Mr. Fox. Day Shift left a lot to be desired. I really loved her Sookie series and Aurora Teagarden. The Shakespeare and Grave/Harper Connelly were fun too if not as good... but I was bored a lot during both Midnight Crossing and Day Shift. I want to like the characters more than I do and she snuck in some cameos from other books that didn't seem to mesh well with the story she created.

Mr. Fox was FANTASTIC! I did not want to put it down and my kids kept saying, "Wow, Mom, you must really like that one..." I had to get in the right head space for it because it threw me at first but once I was there, I loved every minute of it. I'll definitely look for more from this author.

Guantanamo Diary is the one that I started next and I only got the chance to read the intro because my weekend was full of campfires, river rafting, moonshine, and nature. ;) I'll pick it up tomorrow and read more but it's one of those car wreck kind of things already where I am horrified but cannot look away.

• Like 14

Guantanamo Diary is the one that I started next and I only got the chance to read the intro because my weekend was full of campfires, river rafting, moonshine, and nature. ;) .

Moonshine, eh? Hiccup, hiccup. That must have been one interesting trip. Hee hee!

• Like 11