Menu

What have you used for required physical education high school credits if your child isn't into sports?

We don't homeschool, but our kids do charity 5ks if they aren't in team sports. (We make them get off their butts and do something and that one is easy.) You don't have to run the whole thing. You can walk. So a realistic goal is "walk less every time" or "increase speed". You can run no matter how clumsy you are, but the really nice thing is, you can motivate a child with the whole group affinity thing. It's not all about athletics. And they get a lot of cheering during the race, and sometimes they get swag.

We log 90 hours a semester. Dd14 wil have it easy this year once snow falls because she skis.

Activities include going to the gym, frisbee golf, treadmill, swimming and walking dogs. One semester, older DD got most of her hours from physical therapy after knee surgery.

We recorded it as "Physical Education Grade xx" on the transcript and I kept the activity log in my records in case it was ever needed.

My son had health (0.5 cr), sailing (1 cr--several parks and rec courses and a weeklong overnight sailing camp), and two 0.25 cr PE courses from the private school he attended for a year which they granted for going on weeklong outdoor experience trips.  I only gave a letter grade for the health class, and the rest were pass/fail.

My dd does "lifetime activities" including walking, horseback riding, ice skating, jogging, hiking, etc. She keeps track of the time and activities and has met the required amount, but is still counting her hours to see how many she will get by the time she graduates.  We don't have to write up a report here.

I like the charity 5K idea.

• Like 2

My oldest did Tae Kwon Do in 9th grade and kickboxing in 10th grade for P.E.

My middle just walked. I had her record her times.

My youngest worked out at the gym. She did physical therapy 2x/week for two different 6-month stints because of her joint issues. She needs to work out with weights to make sure that her ligaments don't loosen up too much to hold her joints in place.

not in NY so our recording needs are not the same.

oldest did homeschool league archery. We tracked hours. 

middle: did dance based aerobics. again, tracked hours.

youngest will probably count her swimming hours.

in our area, I know people who use their homeschool bowling league for PE credit.  Others who Walk and.or Run daily and count that.  Some who count "mowing yards and raking leaves" as "physical activity". and our requirements are that we have 1 credit in PE, and .5 credit in health. 

My Ds ran 4x a week and did karate 1 time. I also counted Boy Scout hikes, archery, shooting, basketball with Dad and climbing . Basically, I counted any sustained physical activity . On the quarterlies I listed: running, swimming, hiking (or whatever combination he did). I never had any problem with it. I live in a medium ( not overly picky, but occasionally difficult) district.

When you say two units, does it have to be two full one credit courses or can it be two half credit courses? Are the requirements the same for public schools? If so, do they do full or half credits?

For PE this year, we've tracked my daughter's activities: ice skating, swimming, jogging, workout videos, hiking, biking, kickboxing class, and camping with the Girl Scouts. These were things she was doing with her friends or on her own, not because it was for school. I also considered archery, bike maintenance, and a CPR/first aid certification class but they didn't pan out. She also participates in aikido multiple times a week which could have been counted, but I've decided to hold that out as an extracurricular passion, as she's been doing it for 8 years now. I'm on the fence on whether to count it as a full credit or a half credit since she currently has over 100 hours---depends on when I cut off the class, I suppose. She's going to a workshop at the local REI camping store on hammock camping this week.

Here's my writeup:

Physical Education (0.5 credits)

Course description: This course will expose the student to a variety of physical activities which can be practiced lifelong, including swimming, ice skating, hiking, camping, kickboxing, and exercise routines.

Course materials:

Guided hiking and tent/cabin camping through the Girl Scouts of America program, various workout dvds, kickboxing class.

Grading: basic competency in new skills, participation in activities

We did health in 8th grade, so it's not on her transcript. It included an extensive sex ed class through our church, reading through a health textbook, and some supplementary materials (the textbook was older, so we looked at updated nutrition guidelines).

• Like 1

P.E.: Rock Climbing and Mountaineering. 1.0 cumulative credit/ 0.25 cr. per year. No grade.

This course is an introduction to rock climbing and mountaineering. Learning objectives include handling of rock climbing equipment, climbing vocabulary and communications, placement and removal of protection, different climbing techniques, use of guidebook, backpacking skills, backcountry safety,  map work, climbing and backcountry ethics, environmental awareness, leave no trace.

Students received instruction in rock climbing in various areas and types of rock: Saxon Switzerland and Harz mountains, Germany; Santa Barbara mountains, CA; Independence Pass area and Flatirons, CO. Day hikes included several summits of over 14,000 ft in the Rocky Mountains as well as slot canyons in Utah. Once a year, students participated in a multi-day backpacking trip.

• Like 1

Thanks so much-it has to be two full one-credit courses, so that's a lot of hours :(

I guess I will have to start her walking and doing exercise videos, and maybe biking, and have her track her times.

I like your writeup, Karen, and will probably do something like that-thanks!

Still open to hearing others' ideas!

Thanks so much-it has to be two full one-credit courses, so that's a lot of hours :(

With a credit being 130-150 hours, that is 260-300 hours over the course of 4 years of high school. That is less than 15 minutes per day. A healthy young adult should spend more time than that on physical activity.

Mine did theirs with martial arts, but many homeschoolers do it with walking or gym time.

Even if you do a 12-month period, that's just 11 hours a month, which really isn't that much.  Some add in swimming or hiking in the summer for more hours and call it "lifetime sports."

Even as a middle-aged mom, I exercise 3-5 hours a week.

Just to show how it can be done...

With a credit being 130-150 hours, that is 260-300 hours over the course of 4 years of high school. That is less than 15 minutes per day. A healthy young adult should spend more time than that on physical activity.

But I forgot to have her do PE in 9th grade (and retroactively, I don't think she did enough to make a half credit), so now I have to squish the hours into three years.

Also, how do you all put their summer PE into their credit hours? We finish our school year on the typical school calendar, so I don't know how I could put summer PE in there.

Neither of my DDs are sports oriented. Hours towards a PE credit was easy with the second one since she takes 4 dance classes each week.   The first one, however, had to be prodded towards physical activities.  We just logged the hours until she completed 150 hours and then awarded a credit. It took her over a year. Here is the portfolio description for her:

Physical Education (1 credit) – This course emphasized individual activities to promote lifelong fitness. Accomplishments included 150 hours of physical activity in the areas of swimming, aerobics, walking, weightlifting, yoga, and fencing.

• Like 1

But I forgot to have her do PE in 9th grade (and retroactively, I don't think she did enough to make a half credit), so now I have to squish the hours into three years.

Also, how do you all put their summer PE into their credit hours? We finish our school year on the typical school calendar, so I don't know how I could put summer PE in there.

You can put the PE wherever you want in the student's transcript, IMO.  Just because your dd accumulates some of her hours this summer, there is no reason why you can't give her 0.5 credit for PE fall semester, using some hours from the summer and some from the fall.  If she gets an excess of hours by the end of fall semester, roll some of them into spring semester.  Or you could work backwards and use some of this summer's hours to add to the 9th grade hours, and give the appropriate credit for 9th grade.  I hope that makes sense.

I tried to take things that they naturally did and enjoyed and recorded them as gym:  hiking with family, bike rides, ballet classes, swim lessons, ice skating with friends.  Or, if even that is more than you do, there are lots of youtube videos you can do on pilates, stretching, yoga, etc.  Even things like walking the dog!  I also checked out some library books on keeping fit and why it's important and they spent time reading that as part of gym.  Can you count health toward those credits?  We always did a semester of health, but in our district, that was counted separately.  (We just needed 1 year of gym and .5 of health.) 

If you can find one type of community ed course that your child could get involved with -- archery, ice skating lessons, etc., then that's one less thing you have to plan but you can still count it toward gym.

We also participated in the CROP hunger walk every year in our community.  Our family helped organize it, and the kids would get credit for helping with that and walking in it.

I count any work done in the  summer towards credits in the following school year. The transcript does not show "summer" class, it merely lists all work accomplished in the time span I include for the school year. Nobody cares whether that happened in summer.

I don't have my kids "do PE". We encourage an active lifestyle, and if they were so sedentary that they did not even move for an average of 15 minutes a day, that would be a big concern. Not because of "PE credit", but because such a lifestyle is unhealthy. Does your DD really not walk, or bike, or swim, or dance, or do anything?

• Like 2

We've been looking at Oak Meadow's Integrated Health & Fitness for my dd to stretch out over a few years. They consider this course to act as 1 credit.

We will add in our weekly YMCA Fitness class, Red Cross Training, and running at home. May have her sign up for some marathon's or Color Run/Mud Run this year.

Basically, just setting the tone for a healthy lifestyle is more important to us..... We most likely will not keep track of hours.

My DS isn't into sports either.  We swim at the local YMCA that offers homeschool swimming classes.   This is a non competitive sport that he really enjoys since he is just competing against himself.  

I would love to get him playing golf this year as there are many park district courses in our area and I have seen Mom's dropping off some older boys to play together.   Walking is great and I was thinking that weight lifting might be a good one too.