Menu

5th grade: too many parts?

ByGrace3

**Update: after this thread and making a schedule for the year that looked anything but peaceful, restful, or beautiful...I decided to rethink a few things. I am so very pleased with our new plan, and am feeling very peaceful about our approach. 

Thank you to everyone who contributed and shared their thoughts and ideas! Honestly, I don't think it will take less time to accomplish, but it is much more focused, succinct, and definitely more "multum non multa" -- perhaps not completely, but it is a schedule I am comfortable with for now! :) 

************************************************************************************************************************

As I look at scheduling for the coming fall I can't help but think we are far from the multa non multum theory I desire. I want strong academics. I don't want busywork. My dd is very diligent, very independent, and likes to work independently. For our line up I was all set and then got our stanford 10 scores back and feel like I need to add vocabulary. I hoped just reading good books would accomplish that goal but it is apparent she needs work in that area (it was clear to me before the test, that just confirmed it).

Times are not exact...

Here is our line up:
Morning Basket/circle time: Scripture memory, poetry memorization, catechism --10-15 minutes) and read aloud (Narnia and a few others - some tying into history),  Bible Reading (30 minutes for morning basket and then read aloud 1 chapter of Narnia a day)
BSGFAA --30 minutes every day
Piano-30 minutes every day
Math Mammoth 5B and CLE 500 ( still deciding how to combine but will stay at about 45min-1hr/day) adding in Math Mammoth review books for the topics we need more spiral
IEW Fix It --15 min. 4x/week Grammar from Narnia
W&R Narrative 2 and Chreia 30 min. 4x week Writing projects/assignments from Narnia
Spelling -- was planning R&S 6 but am wondering if I should do PZ instead since having to add vocabulary...10 min 4x/week I think we have decided on Phonetic Zoo for now
Reading- 30 minutes a day -- list of a mix of historical fiction and good lit every day
Reading and Reasoning 2x/week 10-15 minutes
History- VPNTGR 30 minutes/day
Science- Science in the Beginning outside class 1x/week 2hr
Vocabulary- Word Build 10-15 min/day vocabulary from Narnia
Spanish- 20 minutes 3x/week
Geography -- missionary focus and games (Europe) 20-30 minutes 2x / week Play 10 Days in Europe on Fridays
Art- Mark Kistler 1x/week plus monthly class

It's not hugely different than this past year...I'm thinking it should take about 5.5 hrs/day? A little less on Fridays.

Dd is a competitive gymnast and spends 20 hours a week at the gym...we are very involved in a homeschool group and take a minimum of 2x/month field trips.

Am I way off here? Or is this par for the course for 5th grade?

As I look at scheduling for the coming fall I can't help but think we are far from the multa non multum theory I desire. I want strong academics. I don't want busywork. My dd is very diligent, very independent, and likes to work independently. For our line up I was all set and then got our stanford 10 scores back and feel like I need to add vocabulary. I hoped just reading good books would accomplish that goal but it is apparent she needs work in that area (it was clear to me before the test, that just confirmed it).

Times are not exact...

Here is our line up:

Morning Basket/circle time: Scripture memory, poetry memorization, catechism --10-15 minutes) and read aloud (Narnia and a few others - some tying into history)(30 minutes)

Math Mammoth 5B and CLE 500 ( still deciding how to combine but will stay at about 45min-1hr/day)

IEW Fix It --15 min. 4x/week

W&R Narrative 2 and Chreia 30 min. 4x week

Spelling -- was planning R&S 6 but am wondering if I should do PZ instead since having to add vocabulary...10 min 4x/week

Reading- 30 minutes a day -- list of a mix of historical fiction and good lit every day

Vocabulary- Word Build 10-15 min/day

Geography -- missionary focus and games (Europe) 20-30 minutes 2x / week

It's not hugely different than this past year...I'm thinking it should take about 5.5 hrs/day? A little less on Fridays.

Dd is a competitive gymnast and spends 20 hours a week at the gym...we are very involved in a homeschool group and take a minimum of 2x/month field trips.

It does look very much like too many parts, especially for a competitive young athlete with a multum non multa type mother/teacher. Some ideas for streamlining:

1. Could you use an English course that incorporates more skills? Elson Readers, for example, include critical thinking/comprehension and vocabulary.

2. Another strategy is to multi-purpose your materials -- use dictation, copywork, and narration in history and literature. Study missionaries and geography alongside history.

3. Choose a single math program and make the most of it. (I know, that's hard -- I've frequently used two programs when it made sense, but if you're going for focused and simplified, one program might be best.)

4. Do things serially instead of incrementally. In other words, take literature one book at a time, to hit your goals of history-related reading, quality lit, and poetry, and memorize poetry as you go. Do catechism one year and BSGFAA the next year.

• Like 2

I would say not to do history on science day. Maybe skip reading and reasoning as great as it looks. Also, why IEW AND CAP writing? Maybe just pick one. Tie in geography with history or do not do it on history days.

I don't really count reading as part of my school day. They do it after we finish our lessons on their own.

Are they still needing spelling or could vocabulary replace spelling? Depends on your child.

I also think it looks like a lot, especially when I read your second to last paragraph about outside activities. But I'm a couple of grades behind you and I can see how it adds up. What do you cut?

I think I'd try to multi-task your subjects more. For example, choose one book for her to read every day, not two. Take the vocab from that (ABeka does this in third grade, don't know about beyond that. Only problem is that it might force you to skim ahead of her and pick out words. Or you could have her write down one word that she doesn't know per day in a notebook and look up the definition with sample sentence from the book. This doubles as copy work. ? Stop when you have a good list and just review those until she knows them.) I thought many spelling programs get into Greek and Latin roots (excellent for vocab) around level 6 or 7. So maybe just stick with R&S as it will get into that soon, don't remember which level, and that will cover vocab. Or use both ideas in conjunction.

You could consider doing some Latin instead of IEW Fix It AND the vocab program, to cover your grammar and vocab for the year. Then cut Spanish as well for the year. Just a thought. :) I don't like the idea of teaching Latin.

To be honest, it seems like a lot of time for Bible. Can you get Scripture memory, catechism work, and BSGFAA all inside 20-30 minutes?

Cut geography. Learn it with history. Missionaries, too. Or pick two missionary or Christian hero biographies to use as your read-aloud for the year. Have them narrate. Do almost everything you do in your missionary or geography study, but just in your read-aloud time twice a year or so. Next time a missionary reports at your church, ask to be the family to host them for dinner! That'll be a more memorable missions and geography focus. (I have a list on my blog of good questions to ask missionaries if you're in the dark on how to talk to them.) :)

Only one math per day, right? See if one is is sufficient for the year, if she's learning fine with one.

Cut Reading and Reasoning. Start one lit discussion per week as per WTM or TTC. Sometimes have her write it, some sort of essay or whatever, and cut W&R for that day or week or. however long it took.

Again, can no vocab come from history or science? See what you can do to combine things more. For iutside lessons and activities, consider if you could cut either the art class, piano lessons (if she's not showing much talent and has already taken a few years), or the field trips, or some of the involvement in homeschool group?

• Like 1

I would say not to do history on science day. Maybe skip reading and reasoning as great as it looks. Also, why IEW AND CAP writing? Maybe just pick one. Tie in geography with history or do not do it on history days.

I don't really count reading as part of my school day. They do it after we finish our lessons on their own.

Are they still needing spelling or could vocabulary replace spelling? Depends on your child.

History is a 5 day a week curriculum..in order to get it done it has to be every day...

IEW is spelling, not writing...I usually do tie in geography to history, but this year we are doing something different- on Mondays we will use Windowin the World to highlight a country and pray for a real life missionary in that place...and then Friday they will email the missionary an encouragement and play 10 Days in Europe and other games. We can probably do geography 2x/month instead of every week but I do think they will enjoy it.

She definitely needs spelling still...and I really like Reading and Reasoning and so does she...and it's only about 20 minutes a week...

Ugh I think my issue is I would love to streamline more but that would require more involvement from me. I have set it up this way for her to be independent. I may need to just accept that...

Oh and a note about math-- we actually aren't doing two full programs...we have been happily using MM, but I have felt that she could use to be "on grade level" instead of ahead so next year she will use MM 5B spread out the whole year and use CLE 500 to fill in-- I do not care if she finishes CLE or not because at the end of the year she will be done with MM 5 and move onto 6.

• Like 1

Times are not exact...

Here is our line up:

Morning Basket/circle time: Scripture memory, poetry memorization, catechism --10-15 minutes) and read aloud (Narnia and a few others - some tying into history)(30 minutes)

Spelling -- was planning R&S 6 but am wondering if I should do PZ instead since having to add vocabulary...10 min 4x/week

Math Mammoth 5B and CLE 500 ( still deciding how to combine but will stay at about 45min-1hr/day)

5 1/2 hrs a day? :svengo: Are you taking into consideration time spent between subjects?

You have a boatload of English language-related things going on. In my house, something would have to go. I would probably not do both vocab and spelling. I would probably not do IEW Fix It. I would probably not require reading, nor the Reading and Reasoning. It would probably be W&R narrative and Chreia (I don't know what that is, lol), and spelling. Given enough free time, my dc would have been reading on their own.

I would probably not do a separate history and geography at the same time.

I would definitely not try to do two complete math programs at the same time. :svengo:

• Like 1

For us, the transitions would be the part that would make it impossible. Four blocks of fifteen minutes of work is just inevitably well over an hour. But an hour block of work is genuinely about an hour. That's part of why I would want to put things together and consolidate. So some of the things that you have down for 10-15 mins I would rather do twice as much less often than do that much more often. Of course, sometimes you need to have a daily, short routine thing and doing a little a day can be the best way to do a program. I'm just aware of how too many of those can really make a day go out of control.

• Like 5

Are you just reading Narnia aloud? There are lots of good vocab words in there!

Yes, just reading aloud...I wanted to do more with it, but trying to be reasonable. ;) In the past I had hoped they would pick up vocabulary from reading but they don't seem to be absorbing it...I need to be more intentional ... I really didn't want to add one more thing for me to do which is why I was thinking Word Build-- a computer program. But I think I will try just what Fix It has and if I feel like it's lacking I can add that later...

Adding a 3rd child to the regular school schedule had me a little worried and I really tried to set up my oldest to be very independent-- which this line up does-- it's just not as streamlined as I would like...it may just have to be the reality...I'm not sure how to get streamlined and independent.

If things get to crazy, geography and Spanish will be the first to go ... My younger kids are pretty me intensive...so I will definitely be flexible as we go...

This past year she did about a 4-5 hr school day which was fine but a little long, I really just don't want any more than that...

• Like 1

For us, the transitions would be the part that would make it impossible. Four blocks of fifteen minutes of work is just inevitably well over an hour. But an hour block of work is genuinely about an hour. That's part of why I would want to put things together and consolidate. So some of the things that you have down for 10-15 mins I would rather do twice as much less often than do that much more often. Of course, sometimes you need to have a daily, short routine thing and doing a little a day can be the best way to do a program. I'm just aware of how too many of those can really make a day go out of control.

Yes, this! Transition time eats up the day!

• Like 2

I had forgotten that IEW has some vocabulary so I think I could drop Word Builder...

Again, it's not two complete math programs ;)

But CLE is. When you're having trouble fitting everything in, it probably means that something has to go. Let the supplement go and stick with the complete program. If you don't think it's complete enough, find something else that is.

• Like 1

I have a fifth grader, and maybe I'm some wild outlier as well, but honestly, this is pretty similar to the workload I have in place for him.  Our Morning Time is about 2 hours, there we cover Bible, History, Latin, Memory Work, and Read Aloud.  Math is about an hour, LA (CLE Reading & LA) and vocabulary (Wordly Wise) take about an hour and a half.  Afternoon reading is a mix of lit, history, and science reading.  That's another ~2 hours, but they're mostly relaxed, curl up on the sofa with your books hours. He wants to start Greek, so that will add another little bit.  

From your schedule, I guess I might toss out the 'reading time' and just institute an hour *after* school that was considered "quiet time" but where you dc was expected to do some reading and piano practice.  Combine history and geography.  Bible study could become part of Morning Time if you were willing to move to just reading Scripture or using the VP Bible cards? I use those and they are quick and straightforward, but I really feel like the kiddos learned quite a bit last year.  Maybe sign up for the VP self-paced videos so that is sort of quasi-relaxing time?

Anyway, I feel your pain!  

• Like 1

I do think you have too many parts to easily keep up with. 

I wouldn't have any issue with the five hours or so for a school day. We've averaged that since about fourth grade. BUT...my two are not involved in outside sports. If I did my math right, a 5.5 hour school day, over five days, combined with your 20 hours a week in sports practice, amounts to a 47.5 hour work week. 

• Like 2

Just a few thoughts:

5.5 hours/day is a lot for a fifth grader.  However, I can't tell if that includes things like piano, reading, or "fun stuff", field trips, etc. 

I would not suggest finding different curricula if what you've got planned are things that you are already comfortable with.  But do look through and see if there is redundancy, then you can cut there.  Also, doing things serially throughout the year rather than everything at one, or doing things one or two weeks a month, or doing certain things on opposite days can help to streamline while still getting in some of the extras that you want to do.

Another idea would be to move a couple of the subjects (I'm thinking art and/or geography?) to Christmas or summer break. Even moving one thing off your plate will make it a little easier. Plus it's fun to do out of the ordinary activities during breaks.

• Like 1

We did history, geography and art "ahead" during the summer so that we are done by the time the academic year starts.

What could be done while she is at the gym? For example the gym my kids went to for recreational gym have breaks for the competitive gymnasts and some kids would do their workbooks at the tables while munching a sandwich.

5.5hrs doesn't seem a lot, just that yours is made up of short time slots.

We cut music and world language from 30 minutes to 20 minutes on days kids are tired.

Just a few thoughts:

5.5 hours/day is a lot for a fifth grader. However, I can't tell if that includes things like piano, reading, or "fun stuff", field trips, etc.

An hour of that 5.5 does include piano and reading.

The "times" I put are "max" times...hopefully it will be less. This child is incredibly diligent and will sit down and "knock stuff out" ...except math ;) She enjoy a check off chart and anything she can do on her own and not have to wait for me. ;)

Ok, so I have cut vocabulary, made geography 2x a month to be alternated with CAP. It may take us trying out the schedule to tweak it any further. I guess it's hard because starting with 45-1hr math, 30 minutes piano, 30 minutes reading, 30 minutes read aloud, and 30 minutes of Bible is 3 hours right there-- without grammar, writing, spelling, logic, history and science....art...

I do think I may have to tweak our science day to make it more manageable...

• Like 1

Writing and rhetoric only has 23 lessons...I can do geography on the off weeks and include writing for those weeks with that. . .

You could alternate grammar and writing instead of doing them both daily/weekly: a chapter/unit/whatever of grammar, then a writing and rhetoric lesson for a week (even if it takes less time than that).

Times are not exact...

Here is our line up:

Would it save you time if got rid of those and you went to CLE Reading and LA?

I'g get rid of the vocab and the Reading and Reasoning in any case. Definitely combine spelling and vocab. There are enough programs that do this.

I like your Geography idea but maybe you could streamline it. For example read the section of text and write the email, both on Friday. I'm familiar with the book so I think it could be done.

If you like the History so much, spread it out over two years. Will it really matter in the long run if it gets done in a year? Go back to your multa non multum philosophy.

I think you need to evaluate each choice in terms of your long terms goals and how doing each subject the way you have planned will help you reach those goals. I can tell you racing through things just to get them done in a tight schedule  will leave you and your dd stressed and will not help building the skills your aiming for. 

• Like 2

You have some great options!!

An idea I had, because I also want to add a more formal vocabulary study, is I bought this small box of grade appropriate vocabulary flash cards from Barnes and Noble.  They are made by Sylvan Learning.  There are 240 cards.  On one side, they have it broken up into syllables, pronunciation, part of speech, and then the definition.  On the other side, it has a sentence using the word.  My plan is to give each child 10 cards per week, on Monday.  Then they will study throughout the week, but it will be incorporated into morning time.  So on the first day, we'll discuss the definition and I'll read the sentence given.  The next day, we'll go over the definition again and I will ask my child to use it in a sentence.  Etc...... By Friday, the hope is that she will have the definition and spelling memorized and be able to use it in a good sentence.  I'll likely then move it into a file system and review certain cards on certain days during MT.  Hope that makes sense.  My girls just LOVED states and capitals flash cards and it took all of 5 minutes during MT each day to do the flash cards.  And it was SO effective.  Even my 4 year old knows half of the capitals by listening.  I'm hoping all 3 will learn all words discussed.

Another thing I would consider is perhaps adding the geography component to MT.  So maybe you are reading Magician's Nephew for 3 weeks for the MT read aloud.  Then you take a 3 week period and do the missionary bio and game.  3 weeks later, back to Narnia. 

However, I say all this just as ideas. I always love and respect how you do home school!  I'm sure much of this will just be tweaking once you start.  :)

-Poppy

• Like 2

You have some great options!!

An idea I had, because I also want to add a more formal vocabulary study, is I bought this small box of grade appropriate vocabulary flash cards from Barnes and Noble.  They are made by Sylvan Learning.  There are 240 cards.  On one side, they have it broken up into syllables, pronunciation, part of speech, and then the definition.  On the other side, it has a sentence using the word.  My plan is to give each child 10 cards per week, on Monday.  Then they will study throughout the week, but it will be incorporated into morning time.  So on the first day, we'll discuss the definition and I'll read the sentence given.  The next day, we'll go over the definition again and I will ask my child to use it in a sentence.  Etc...... By Friday, the hope is that she will have the definition and spelling memorized and be able to use it in a good sentence.  I'll likely then move it into a file system and review certain cards on certain days during MT.  Hope that makes sense.  My girls just LOVED states and capitals flash cards and it took all of 5 minutes during MT each day to do the flash cards.  And it was SO effective.  Even my 4 year old knows half of the capitals by listening.  I'm hoping all 3 will learn all words discussed.

Another thing I would consider is perhaps adding the geography component to MT.  So maybe you are reading Magician's Nephew for 3 weeks for the MT read aloud.  Then you take a 3 week period and do the missionary bio and game.  3 weeks later, back to Narnia. 

However, I say all this just as ideas. I always love and respect how you do home school!  I'm sure much of this will just be tweaking once you start.   :)

-Poppy

With flashcards designed like this, they could be used for spelling, too.

My dd loves state and capital flashcards. This year we are going to move on to world capital flashcards.

Does your child need spelling still? I would only do spelling if the student has trouble with it. For my fifth grader, I'll just be correcting (and making him rewrite) any words he gets wrong in his writing. Also, "vocabulary" happens by reading and by Latin for us and isn't a separate subject or workbook. I also don't count reading in our school hours, but he reads over an hour everyday in the afternoon and before bed. We do history and science twice a week, not every day. 

Here's my fifth grader's plan:

http://www.simplyconvivial.com/2015/homeschool-fifth-grade-plans

• Like 2

Does your child need spelling still? I would only do spelling if the student has trouble with it. For my fifth grader, I'll just be correcting (and making him rewrite) any words he gets wrong in his writing. Also, "vocabulary" happens by reading and by Latin for us and isn't a separate subject or workbook. I also don't count reading in our school hours, but he reads over an hour everyday in the afternoon and before bed. We do history and science twice a week, not every day. 

Here's my fifth grader's plan:

http://www.simplyconvivial.com/2015/homeschool-fifth-grade-plans

I really like your schedule. :)

A lot of great ideas thank you!

Unfortunately, she definitely still needs spelling...I will take a look at Fix It and CAP to see about alternate scheduling. I chose FIx It partially because I could teach dd and ds together with this, and partially because of the short efficient lessons.

As I think through what I have planned, I think my attitude towards everything will be more important than anything. I want a restful atmosphere that focuses on truth and beauty. I know my limitations for this year and am having to adjust a few things to keep my own sanity ;) for example, I prefer history 3x/week instead of every day, but am sacrificing that for an independent computer based program. I think most of what I have was chosen due to it being efficient. As long as I don't become a slave to the curriculum and adjust as needed we will be ok..

I don't want more than a 5 hour school day, so our goal will be to school from 8:30-2:30 (with an hour break for lunch). This past year way too many days ended between 3-4 and she finished just in time to go to gymnastics.(She also tends to need extra sleep from late night practices so starts later). A lot of that was my fault and trying to get to the work she needed to do with me...a more independent work load should help.

I do feel better about things. Geography only 1-2 times a month should help. I think this will be "fun." Introduce the country, a missionary from the past and one currently serving there. Play 10 Days in Europe on Friday. One Monday a month to introduce the country and missionaries and in the off week from CAP she can send an email.

My kids do not read in their free time. It breaks my heart. I love to read..maybe one day they will learn to love it too...;)

• Like 3

I have to agree with others. I like your schedule and feel like it is definitely not too much. I also wish my list of things we're doing/learning seemed simpler, but there isn't much I'm willing to cut. Our days are going to be about 7 hours long, but we only do 'table' work on three days, as we have two different enrichment programs. I know it seems nutso to some, but it works for us.

I am getting a head start on a couple things this summer. I introduced Word Wealth Junior several weeks ago and so far we've done 9 lessons. We're using it for word study/vocabulary/spelling. Today, to much applause, I introduced Mapping the World with Art. My DD10, her 11 year old friend, and my DD6 all loved it! If I can accomplish 10 lessons or so this summer, it will take some pressure off during the school year. I'm also reading aloud one science book I hoped to use next year and we're listening to one literature book I wanted to squeak in. All this during our brief 1.5 hours of 'summer school' that we do following morning swim practice and before our day really gets 'started'.

I want strong academics. I don't want busywork. My dd is very diligent, very independent, and likes to work independently.

Reading and Reasoning 2x/week 10-15 minutes (OR... see below)

It should take about 5.5 hrs/day? A little less on Fridays.

That's what I would axe. ;) Your diligent rising 5th grader sounds like my diligent rising 5th grader, minus the gymnastics commitment, and your line-up sounds about the same. But we couldn't do the academics that we do if we had that kind of outside commitment. This year we'll have a full load of coursework, but only one evening out (church midweek, about 2 hours), one morning/early afternoon out (co-op/field trip group, about 5 hours), and one late afternoon/evening out (choirs, about 3 hours) -- so about 10 hours out weekly. If we added 10 more weekly hours out on top of that, plus a HS group, plus twice monthly field trips...

Holy Weekly Schedule Overload, Batman! ;)

Seriously, I think your line-up is great. I think that a 5.5 hour school day is perfectly fine for a 5th grader, especially since she gets to have an intense physical outlet in gymnastics, has social interactions outside the family, and has you for her mom. :) You love her, you're not going to burn her out.

I would try to do these things, though, mostly for my own sanity:

• Switch to Phonetic Zoo for spelling. We did this for 4th grade. Set it up (pm me if you have questions), and let your independent student handle it.
  • Choose one math. I would choose CLE 500 over MM 5B.
  • Choose one writing course OR use both, but only attempt to complete X number of writing lessons each week, whether or not you finish each course.
  • Reasoning & Reading (1/2 a year?) + Word Build (1/2 a year?) -- or alternate? You probably have the 5th/6th R & R, anyway, so it could take two years to complete. Why not stretch it out? Perhaps both would build vocabulary & other word skills?
  • If you keep in Narrative 2, Chreia, R & R, and Word Builder, do you really need your student to do Fix-It? Instead, could you look over it yourself, and just be sure to bring those aspects into whatever writing she does?
  • If it really does start to feel like "too much," perhaps you could alternate weeks on Geography, Art, and Spanish? Or work on each for 12 weeks? Or continue Spanish each week, but alternate Geography and Art? Or half a year of each (18 weeks Geo, 18 weeks Art)? Or save Art & Geography for summer? We kind of like to concentrate on our "Core" during the bulk of the school year, hit our "Enrichments" when we can, and if there is anything left over at the end of the school year, the fun stuff can run into the summer. My three girls would never mind doing Art all summer! :)

Enjoy your year.

• Like 1

An hour of that 5.5 does include piano and reading.

The "times" I put are "max" times...hopefully it will be less. This child is incredibly diligent and will sit down and "knock stuff out" ...except math ;) She enjoy a check off chart and anything she can do on her own and not have to wait for me. ;)

Ok, so I have cut vocabulary, made geography 2x a month to be alternated with CAP. It may take us trying out the schedule to tweak it any further. I guess it's hard because starting with 45-1hr math, 30 minutes piano, 30 minutes reading, 30 minutes read aloud, and 30 minutes of Bible is 3 hours right there-- without grammar, writing, spelling, logic, history and science....art...

I do think I may have to tweak our science day to make it more manageable...

I guess it's hard because starting with 45-1hr math

Just do one or the other (CLE or MM) and keep the daily dose at 30 minutes.

30 minutes piano

cut to 20 minutes, consistently

30 minutes reading, 30 minutes read aloud

can you alternate these?

and 30 minutes of Bible

I liked a PP's suggestion to do either BSGFAA or catechism (alternate years); or could you do 27 weeks of BSGFAA and 9 weeks on catechism (or something like that)?

is 3 hours right there-- without grammar, writing, spelling, logic, history and science....art...

But you wouldn't do every one of those every day, right? That would be overkill.

My kids do not read in their free time. It breaks my heart. I love to read..maybe one day they will learn to love it too... ;)

So, do you think that by requiring them to read a certain amount of time each day, from a list of your choosing (even though they can choose which of those books they read, it's still your list), will cause them to love reading?

• Like 2

This is what I'd pare it down to, considering your goals and your DD's extracurriculars:

CLE 500 (45 min - 1hr)
Spelling --  R&S 6 10 min 4x/week
Art- monthly class

Even so, you might have to work 6 days a week, especially considering your daughter basically has a part time job at the gym. I'm not sure she can get all that done in a day and not drop from exhaustion. How much down time (unstructured) will she have? 

• Like 1

I guess it's hard because starting with 45-1hr math

Just do one or the other (CLE or MM) and keep the daily dose at 30 minutes.

30 minutes piano

cut to 20 minutes, consistently

30 minutes reading, 30 minutes read aloud

can you alternate these?

and 30 minutes of Bible

I liked a PP's suggestion to do either BSGFAA or catechism (alternate years); or could you do 27 weeks of BSGFAA and 9 weeks on catechism (or something like that)?

is 3 hours right there-- without grammar, writing, spelling, logic, history and science....art...

But you wouldn't do every one of those every day, right? That would be overkill.

We have used MM since first grade, it is our main program-- I will be flexible about CLE...I am not willing to give up MM at this point-- it's working well, I just felt like she needed some time developmentally before starting 6th grade MM so to fill the gap I plan to use CLE. I don't think 45 minutes of math a day for a 5th grader is too much. And actually some days may be less...all depends on her-- she tends to be slow about math.

30 minutes reading is really nonnegotiable...and sadly our read aloud often is the first thing we don't get to on a busy day so I would like to start earlier in the day...but 30 minutes is not a hard and fast. Maybe 15-20? We will see how that goes. It may not happen every day though I would like for it to.

Catechism -- I am actually thinking this will be about 5 minutes a day...just a small part of memory work.

BSGFAA may only take 15/20 minutes since I plan to do half a lesson a day and our Scripture memory will be a separate time...and Fridays instead of BSGFAA we will do Bible Drills...which they all love.

As for piano...I was actually wondering when it's time to increase practice :lol:

Everything else is not every day for sure :)

• Like 1

So, do you think that by requiring them to read a certain amount of time each day, from a list of your choosing (even though they can choose which of those books they read, it's still your list), will cause them to love reading?

I do believe in requiring a child to read every day. I require lots of things now that they don't enjoy-- vegetables, water, manners-- one day I hope they do those things from their heart, but for now I do what I believe is best...

And honestly, it really isn't book choice... I work hard to find books they will enjoy...and am happy to have input from them. In fact they do enjoy the books. My dd will often express great sadness when a book "ends." She says she doesn't really like to read when in fact she greatly enjoys the story, I think she just doesn't like to admit it. ;) She rarely reads for pleasure though it has happened... She enjoys reading, she just doesn't "choose" it over other hobbies and interests.

Honestly she doesn't have much free time and when she does she uses it to play or do art or sew...I am ok with that...not having free time is her choice--her sport.

• Like 4

How much down time (unstructured) will she have? [/size][/font][/color]

This is something I struggle with often. She rarely has unstructured time during the week. But she has more than her b&m school teammates...she gets more sleep than they do too...;)

I am not willing to compromise academics for her 10 year old pursuits...that may or may not last. I do want to be reasonable though. We don't stress what doesn't get done as long as she is diligent. I don't require anything school related on the weekends. (During the school year she has Saturday practice).

And this herein lies the heart of my struggle. :lol:

• Like 1

Maybe you should sit down, both alone and with your daughter and make a list of what is most important. What are the 3-5 things you absolutely won't give up? What are the things that are least important to you (and her)? Are there things you can combine or shuffle around? As an example, DD usually reads in the car to and from her gyms. Other families listen to audio books in the car. 

Maybe you should sit down, both alone and with your daughter and make a list of what is most important. What are the 3-5 things you absolutely won't give up? What are the things that are least important to you (and her)? Are there things you can combine or shuffle around? As an example, DD usually reads in the car to and from her gyms. Other families listen to audio books in the car.

The truth is she's not complaining. ;) I am the one thinking through things...Should we open that door when it doesn't need to be opened? And yes, car schooling is quite common for us as well! Spanish and reading often happen on the way to gym. :)

We did school that way last year for 4th and 7th. It wasn't too bad except that my time estimations were always a little bit off. Things took a little longer than I'd hoped.

This year I'm using CLE language arts so that voc, spelling, writing, and grammar are all together. Ok, in all honestly, I'm supplementing writing, but only with a little supplement. Not two full currics.

And I'm not doing two math currics. Just one for now.

I'm not sure where else you can streamline, but I'll tell you that if you have to do lots of bits and pieces that it'll probably be ok. Cull any duplicates if possible if you must streamline.

• Like 1

We have used MM since first grade, it is our main program-- I will be flexible about CLE...I am not willing to give up MM at this point-- it's working well, I just felt like she needed some time developmentally before starting 6th grade MM so to fill the gap I plan to use CLE. I don't think 45 minutes of math a day for a 5th grader is too much. And actually some days may be less...all depends on her-- she tends to be slow about math.

30 minutes reading is really nonnegotiable...and sadly our read aloud often is the first thing we don't get to on a busy day so I would like to start earlier in the day...but 30 minutes is not a hard and fast. Maybe 15-20? We will see how that goes. It may not happen every day though I would like for it to.

Catechism -- I am actually thinking this will be about 5 minutes a day...just a small part of memory work.

BSGFAA may only take 15/20 minutes since I plan to do half a lesson a day and our Scripture memory will be a separate time...and Fridays instead of BSGFAA we will do Bible Drills...which they all love.

As for piano...I was actually wondering when it's time to increase practice :lol:

Everything else is not every day for sure :)

Ah, we really do have similar 10 year old daughters. :) LOL.

I do believe in requiring a child to read every day. I require lots of things now that they don't enjoy-- vegetables, water, manners-- one day I hope they do those things from their heart, but for now I do what I believe is best...

i was just commenting on the fact that you said you want her to enjoy reading and it breaks your heart that she doesn't, but you've made it into a required subject, which may defeat your purpose in wanting her to enjoy it.

• Like 1

The amount of work seems appropriate for her grade (is she 9 and in 5th?).  If you really want to simplify, though, that isn't what you are doing.  Your choices seem well thought out.  It should be a solid academic year.  

With all that gym time, and that academic schedule, I would be concerned that there wouldn't be adequate downtime.  Everyone has different energy levels, though, and if it suits her then that's great.

i was just commenting on the fact that you said you want her to enjoy reading and it breaks your heart that she doesn't, but you've made it into a required subject, which may defeat your purpose in wanting her to enjoy it.

My number one goal has been to instill a love of learning.

There were times that I felt I had to compromise my academic goals because illnesses of my children. It didn't matter in the end. My older two who went through times like that are excelling in college and high school, but more than that, I see them pursuing their own academic and musical interests. I know that no matter what tough times they went through, including the times I had to prioritize and cut back, it still worked. Perhaps because they had time just to think.

This is just my personal opinion, I would never cut back on things like gymnastics and piano playing for typical academics as long as a child enjoyed it. I think children get a lot more out of it than we think in terms of discipline, positive stimulation for healthy brain development, and simple joy. This is not to say math, writing, and foreign language should get done; but all of it should be in balance.

• Like 1

My number one goal has been to instill a love of learning.

There were times that I felt I had to compromise my academic goals because illnesses of my children. It didn't matter in the end. My older two who went through times like that are excelling in college and high school, but more than that, I see them pursuing their own academic and musical interests. I know that no matter what tough times they went through, including the times I had to prioritize and cut back, it still worked. Perhaps because they had time just to think.

This is just my personal opinion, I would never cut back on things like gymnastics and piano playing for typical academics as long as a child enjoyed it. I think children get a lot more out of it than we think in terms of discipline, positive stimulation for healthy brain development, and simple joy. This is not to say math, writing, and foreign language should get done; but all of it should be in balance.

Yes, it is this balance I am truly striving for. Playing piano, being a competitive gymnast, being on a church dance performance team, field trips and real life experiences are important. In her free time she pursues other hobbies-- she loves to sew and dance...I have a plethora of vidoes of her and her cousins' choreographed "routines"/music videos. :) She is a balanced kid, loves people but is quite shy. I am an extrovert and greatly prioritize field trips and get togethers. As long as no one is wasting time, we don't give up field trips for "more" schoolwork. Foolishness is another story..;)

Academic pursuits rate high, but I would not sacrifice any of those things for a grammar lesson. ;)

I think a key for this year will be to pull the plug at 3 every day whether she is done or not...as long as she has been diligent. That will give her an hour of free time daily before having to leave for practice. Her teammates go straight from school, get done at 8:30pm and then do homework....then up at 6 for the next day. ugh I can't imagine that. Grateful for homeschooling and the fact that we get to have these discussions to make situations as ideal for our kids as they can be!

Spanish and geography will be "soft" subjects -- they are on the schedule, but the first to be dropped when time doesn't allow.

Looking at R&S Spelling 6-- it looks intense--good, but still....since dd loves Reading and Reasoning I wonder if R&S spelling is necessary or a switch to PZ might make spelling an "easier" subject...I have both so it's just a matter of choice.

• Like 1

My upcoming 5th grader needs to focus on spelling so we are setting grammar aside for the year.  

Could her reading time happen before bed?  I know she has late evenings out, but maybe a reading time before bed would help her unwind.

My son began his 4th grade year using CLE Math as a supplement to Singapore.  We ended up switching completely to CLE as it is a better fit for him.  Before he switched, I would go through each Light Unit and mark various parts of each lesson that I thought he could use more practice in.

I like your plan for geography.  We read parts of Windows on the World this year that corresponded with Europe and Middle East.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

**Update: after this thread and making a schedule for the year that looked anything but peaceful, restful, or beautiful...I decided to rethink a few things. I am so very pleased with our new plan, and am feeling very peaceful about our approach. 

Thank you to everyone who contributed and shared their thoughts and ideas! Honestly, I don't think it will take less time to accomplish, but it is much more focused, succinct, and definitely more "multum non multa" -- perhaps not completely, but it is a schedule I am comfortable with for now! :) 

New line up!

Morning Basket/circle time: Scripture memory, poetry memorization, catechism, and Bible reading)

Read aloud (Narnia and a few others - some tying into history),  

Math Mammoth 5B and Review topics (using review books and blue series)

Grammar, writing, and vocabulary from Narnia

Spelling Phonetic Zoo 
Spanish- 30 minutes 3x/week
Geography --Play 10 Days in Europe on Fridays

• Like 3