Menu

Wanderlust post: any "travel around the world" blogs/books

madteaparty

I am dreaming of doing this with my two kids, maybe right before DS starts high school and when DD is around 6-7. DH needs to stay home to help finance this but he can meet us in London or China (he goes there for work).

Anyway, I travel internationally, but I am not very adventurous (I think Istanbul is the most exotic place I've been ;)), and my favorite trip ever was me with my three year old in Vienna. So I need some "ramping up" in my mindset before I set out...I think I have a couple of years. Resources for me? Thank you

Book: Visit Sunny Chernobyl

I am not suggesting you visit the places in the book, but maybe it would help you brainstorm some adventurous ideas.

Another book you might enjoy is the Geography of Bliss.

There is another book about skipping the SAT and traveling instead, but I don't have the title right now & am on my phone...

• Like 1

Netflix series called departures. I know it's not a book. It's about two men taking one year off of work to travel around the world. They go to some well-known countries, such as Japan. They also go to more obscure places like Jordan. I'm not sure if this kind of thing is what you're looking for but your post made me think of that series. After they traveled for one year they decided to do it again.

• Like 1

Since I managed to double post I will add Rick Steve is my favourite for travel guides. We rarely follow the suggestions but after reading them feel well equipped to visit the location. The knowledge from his guide acts like a security blanket I guess.

• Like 4

This is a great expat blog, though it deals with settling abroad rather than just travelling: http://kirstyriceonline.com/. We're a dual-nationality family living in a third country, travelling about once every two months with our small kids (2 and 4). We live in Southeast Asia, which is a great base for travelling. Lots of different cultures, religions, languages, writing systems, all relatively close together (best other option is Europe of course for the same type of experience). 

Our four-year-old snorkled with sea turtles on our last holiday. The boys have walked on the Great Wall of China, taken tuk-tuks in Cambodia and Thailand, seen penguins and wallabies in the wild, and much more. The more you travel with the kids, the easier it gets. Good luck!

• Like 3

Let me know if you will be in Denmark :)

Check out Soul Travelers 3. They have been traveling the world for years with their daughter. But the blog's focus has shifted from traveling to the daughter's music career, and it doesn't interest me much now - go back to the older posts.

I will! The only thing holding me back is DS's Arabic classes. I've 6 months to plan :)

I begin February 2016. I plan to take it a few months/ a region at a time, so Europe is first then Turkey and the Middle East/UAE I vaguely plan to stop in the US after so DS can do some testing and do Asia afterwards, but I haven't thought that far ;) I need to figure out how schooling on the road will work, particularly things I can be of no use in, like arabic. Maybe we stay in an arabic speaking country a while.

Eta i'm traveling until I get sick of it or run out of $, whichever happens first. We come back to the US for DS high school so I have two years?

• Like 1

One book we enjoyed that covered traveling around the world with kids:

http://www.amazon.com/360-Degrees-Longitude-Familys-Journey/dp/1935212869

This is a less of a how-to and more of a chronicle of their adventures (mom, dad, and 2 children) as they travel the globe.  We found it very true to life (at least their adventures in Europe where we live) and assume the rest is an honest look as well.  Very fun read and inspiring....

If I recall correctly, the appendix does include links/books/how-to suggestions for giving it a go as well.

HTH,

• Like 1

We did it. Our blog is here. But of all the blogs I poured over for three years of joyful planning beforehand, the sixintheworld.com mentioned upthread is the best of the bunch. PM me if you have planning or other questions!

I will! Thanks so much.

I'm starting in Europe/Middle East so that's all I'm thinking about right now. Can only think in 6 month increments :)

• Like 1

Here's another blog: http://theartofsimpletravel.net

This is the first one that came to mind. I am halfway threatening but getting more serious about selling our house when my 16 year old graduates in 2 years, travel the US and Canada for 6 months and then settle back down with my younger two. It would be such a leap for me as I've always felt to tied (in a good way) with my children. But now as a single mom and doing some work from home, I just might make it work. 

Keep us updated on your planning and travels!

• Like 3