Menu

diet for diabetic besides low carb?

MooCow

Just a thought and not sure if it wod be helpful to you... but I have a friens who did a "slow carb" diet. Six days a week his only carbs essentially came from beans. I am not sure how much fruit he ate. But Saturday was his cheat day. And he ate whatever he wanted in enormous quantities. But he managed to lose 100 lbs that way. I don't know if you're trying to lose weight, but I do think there is something to allowing yourself a cheat day. For him, dieting wasn't worth the idea of never having his favorite foods again. He said he'd rather be fat. But he could wait 6 days for it.

Anyway, just a thought. I know it's hard to stay on a strict diet, but I think allowing a splurge (and it doesn't have to be weekly even) it good for the mind. :-)

Not a bad idea for someone who is just dieting.  A bad idea for a diabetic who could end up with sky-high sugars.  Sugars over 140 start to cause damage, from what I understand.  

• Like 4

Studies of individual macronutrients have shown that protein is the most satiating. Carbohydrates usually come in second, because most studies only look at a two-hour window. Carbs are satisfying short-term, but fat is more satisfying long-term. (Fat is digested more slowly, so the satiating effect is delayed. Carbs are digested more quickly, so you'll feel full sooner, but you'll also be hungry again sooner.) Studies that have looked at combinations of macronutrients have shown that protein and fat together are extremely satiating.

People do have problems and complaints with low-carb diets. Lack of satitety is generally not one of them. In fact, you're more likely to hear the opposite from low-carb dieters: that what they love most about it is that they can lose/maintain weight while feeling full and satisfied, and that's not something they ever experienced on other diet plans.

I'm not familiar with Dr. McDougall's work regarding diabetes, so I'm not trying to comment on that one way or the other. I just felt that I had to defend the satiety of low-carb diets! :)

Yeah I have never lacked being full on low carb.  My number one complaint is simply lack of convenience.  It's easy to open up a box of crackers and eat them.  It's a pain to have to cook everything.  I do best when I plan ahead, but sometimes that's a real pain in the neck.

• Like 4

Have you tried bulletproof coffee (or tea)? I add cream,coconut oil, and butter to hot coffee, mix it with a stick blender and drink it for breakfast. If you don't like all 3 of those fats, you can stick to one. It keeps my blood sugar very stable and I feel full until lunch. If you're making coffee or tea anyway, it's especially convenient.

Here's a thread from last year.

• Like 2

Yeah I have never lacked being full on low carb. My number one complaint is simply lack of convenience. It's easy to open up a box of crackers and eat them. It's a pain to have to cook everything. I do best when I plan ahead, but sometimes that's a real pain in the neck.

Amen.

Yeah I have never lacked being full on low carb.  My number one complaint is simply lack of convenience.  It's easy to open up a box of crackers and eat them.  It's a pain to have to cook everything.  I do best when I plan ahead, but sometimes that's a real pain in the neck.

I don't think it's more difficult to open a bag of nuts, cheese slices, or beef jerky.

• Like 1

I don't think it's more difficult to open a bag of nuts, cheese slices, or beef jerky.

But then I could name 100,000 other convenience foods in the high carb category.  KWIM? Those are three things and they get tiring.  I don't care for beef jerky.  So that leaves nuts and cheese.  I do like both, but it's not something I eat every single day.  That would be so boring.

I like to feel a sense that I have options. 

Pork rinds are a go to for me.  I love those.  They are good for other things too like breading on meat. 

I like raw veggies with dip, but that requires prep.  Not a ton of prep, but yes prep.  And unlike a box of crackers that can sit there for a week and still taste good, veggies have to be continuously bought or ideally bought right before you eat them.  So another trip to the store.  I go to the store 4 times a week these days.  It's ridiculous.

I'm not saying it's not doable, but it has it's annoyances. 

• Like 1

Yeah I have never lacked being full on low carb. My number one complaint is simply lack of convenience. It's easy to open up a box of crackers and eat them. It's a pain to have to cook everything. I do best when I plan ahead, but sometimes that's a real pain in the neck.

Have you tried emeals? I would be lost without them. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

• Like 1

Have you tried emeals? I would be lost without them. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

I am subscribed.  I hate emeals if I'm being honest.  LOL  Within a week I might like 2-3 options.  And what is it with every single week having brisket on the menu?!  If I can even find brisket it's a million dollars a pound.  And they constantly have stuff like olives, feta cheese, cilantro, and avocado.  BARF.  Can't stand any of that. 

I have come up with low carb versions of so many things.  I don't lack in imagination in this department.  They just often require special ingredients and a lot of prep time.  For example, I can make low carb ketchup and BBQ sauce (although I can sometimes find bottled ones).  Making that stuff homemade is time consuming, expensive, and some of it doesn't have much shelf life.  It's hard to make an amount of ketchup, for example, that I might eat within a week's time. 

Of course I can just opt to eat very bland foods, but I don't end up being successful.  Thankfully I do like to cook, but it's not my only gig.  KWIM?! 

I honestly think this is "THE" number one hardest thing.  There is no actual lack of tasty low carb foods.  There is a major lack of convenience for people who like tasty food and who don't want to eat the same things over and over again. 

• Like 2

Or like me - I'm low carb, but my food allergies are now beef, chicken, pork, turkey, and severe anaphylaxis to shellfish. So in order to not pile on weight, and get enough protein, I'm stuck with cheese, eggs, soy, nuts, and fish that hasn't had cross contact with shellfish (very, very hard to find, that's what we think may have landed me in the ER yesterday).

All those non allergic foods are intolerance foods for me, so I must keep my portions lows. That means almost everything I eat is high prep. There is NO convenience food. No easy meals. Nothing quick that doesn't spike my blood sugar or make me gain weight and have cravings.

It blows. Hard.

If your lactose intolerant and can't do raw veggies no wonder your version of low carb is making you sick. I think watching your bg after you eat and altering your diet accordingly is by far the best plan. Individuals vary so much when it comes to how they process food.

• Like 3

Not a bad idea for someone who is just dieting.  A bad idea for a diabetic who could end up with sky-high sugars.  Sugars over 140 start to cause damage, from what I understand.  

I agree that it isn't a good idea for a diabetic, but my doctor has not said anything about damage with blood sugars over 140. I was told to try to keep my blood sugars under 140 2 hours after eating, but even people who do not have diabetes have blood sugar spikes over 140 when they consume a lot of sugar/refined carbs. In fact, my doctor said that recently, the new guidelines for diabetics is to have a fasting sugar no more that 120. I know that 12 years ago, when I had gestational diabetes, I was told to keep it under 100.

Also, A1C seems to matter more than individual blood sugar readings.

• Like 1

I am subscribed. I hate emeals if I'm being honest. LOL Within a week I might like 2-3 options. And what is it with every single week having brisket on the menu?! If I can even find brisket it's a million dollars a pound. And they constantly have stuff like olives, feta cheese, cilantro, and avocado. BARF. Can't stand any of that.

I have come up with low carb versions of so many things. I don't lack in imagination in this department. They just often require special ingredients and a lot of prep time. For example, I can make low carb ketchup and BBQ sauce (although I can sometimes find bottled ones). Making that stuff homemade is time consuming, expensive, and some of it doesn't have much shelf life. It's hard to make an amount of ketchup, for example, that I might eat within a week's time.

Of course I can just opt to eat very bland foods, but I don't end up being successful. Thankfully I do like to cook, but it's not my only gig. KWIM?!

I honestly think this is "THE" number one hardest thing. There is no actual lack of tasty low carb foods. There is a major lack of convenience for people who like tasty food and who don't want to eat the same things over and over again.

I have been doing the paleo plan since November and I honestly can't remember a single use of the brisket. Maybe at St. Patrick's day but I don't think even then. We do go through avocados. I think I only need 4 this week, but normally it is higher. But we also get the breakfast, lunch and dinner plans for paleo. We have olives about once a week and same with cilantro. No cheese as that isn't paleo. Honestly a few times that they had avocado it was for a creamy cheese like texture to a dish, so if you could handle cheese (that isn't feta) it could easily be swapped out.

My favorite ketchup recipe is one you make in a crockpot and other then chopping an apple and an onion, takes little to make. I can also store it for about a month or so in my fridge. The recipe is part of the 21 day detox and is on that website.

However to each their own. I just thought I would throw out their my experience in case it was just your meal plan. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

• Like 1

IIn fact, my doctor said that recently, the new guidelines for diabetics is to have a fasting sugar no more that 120. I know that 12 years ago, when I had gestational diabetes, I was told to keep it under 100.

This is still what they tell people with gestational diabetes. In this case it's not that there has been a change in standards, but that the target numbers are significantly lower during pregnancy.

Correction: Sorry, used to doing my readings in mmol instead of mg. The current fasting targets during during pregnancy are actually 94 or lower.

• Like 1

Or like me - I'm low carb, but my food allergies are now beef, chicken, pork, turkey, and severe anaphylaxis to shellfish. So in order to not pile on weight, and get enough protein, I'm stuck with cheese, eggs, soy, nuts, and fish that hasn't had cross contact with shellfish (very, very hard to find, that's what we think may have landed me in the ER yesterday).

All those non allergic foods are intolerance foods for me, so I must keep my portions lows. That means almost everything I eat is high prep. There is NO convenience food. No easy meals. Nothing quick that doesn't spike my blood sugar or make me gain weight and have cravings.

It blows. Hard.

Oh my that is very hard.  Hugs to you. 

• Like 2

I have been doing the paleo plan since November and I honestly can't remember a single use of the brisket. Maybe at St. Patrick's day but I don't think even then. We do go through avocados. I think I only need 4 this week, but normally it is higher. But we also get the breakfast, lunch and dinner plans for paleo. We have olives about once a week and same with cilantro. No cheese as that isn't paleo. Honestly a few times that they had avocado it was for a creamy cheese like texture to a dish, so if you could handle cheese (that isn't feta) it could easily be swapped out.

My favorite ketchup recipe is one you make in a crockpot and other then chopping an apple and an onion, takes little to make. I can also store it for about a month or so in my fridge. The recipe is part of the 21 day detox and is on that website.

However to each their own. I just thought I would throw out their my experience in case it was just your meal plan. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

Oh no, I fully admit to being rather picky.  I really just don't like what seems to be quite popular these days (stuff like avocados and olives).  I found myself tweaking every recipe so I figured what is the point of a menu that I have to completely change.  I wish they'd allow some choice.  I am subscribed to 2 other recipe services.  My favorite is Relish.  They give choices and I like most of their options. 

• Like 1

Yes! I would appreciate it! The longest I've gone low carb was for three and a half weeks or so. I have IBS, so by then my gut is a wreck, and my stomach HURTS. I go into ketosis within two days of starting low carb.

Not a diabetic here, but have you tried probiotics or yogurt (dk if that's a diabetes no-no) or things like that to try to get your gut back into shape?

• Like 1

Yes! I would appreciate it! The longest I've gone low carb was for three and a half weeks or so. I have IBS, so by then my gut is a wreck, and my stomach HURTS. I go into ketosis within two days of starting low carb.

Seconding the idea of probiotics. Either take pills or eat live culture vegetables. I would also add 2 cups of bone broth/day. It soothes the stomach lining. Do you supplement electrolytes when in ketosis?

• Like 1

Did not even think of this! I think this might be contributing as well as the raw veggies. Thanks for the tip!

My "sweet" is Russell Stovers sugar-free candy, but I can only eat that in extreme moderation (I won't tell you what my boys call it  :blushing: )

I'm type 2 and my son is type 1...low carb/high fat is what helps both of us and is what our Endo suggested to live by. I've lost weight (10 lbs more and I can go off the meds, according to my doctor) and dropped my A1C. I'm hoping/praying/fundraising for a cure for all T1D's.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/burger_recipes.html   Scroll down to "home" for more info/recipes.

• Like 1

I've found that TJ's wasabi nori sheets are a great sub for chips or crackers.

I hate that they are hyper-packaged. Guilty.

Bell pepper strips and a good ranch or goddess dressing is a good snack/lunch.  Also, tuna in small pull top cans. I keep a couple at work. It's a bit smelly, so I try to prepare it at home, but if I forget, the little cans keep me from being cranky.   Also hardboiled eggs. But peel them at home. ;)

I don't understand not liking olives or avos.  <shocking>  I get the cilantro hate. I love it, but I know it tastes soapy to some. Yuck.

I do not like beef jerky.

OP, have you thought about a cod liver oil supplement? 

• Like 1

I would also add 2 cups of bone broth/day. It soothes the stomach lining. Do you supplement electrolytes when in ketosis?

To be honest, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Eta: OK, I read about bone broth. Looking up supplement electrolytes now.

I've found that TJ's wasabi nori sheets are a great sub for chips or crackers.

I hate that they are hyper-packaged. Guilty.

Bell pepper strips and a good ranch or goddess dressing is a good snack/lunch. Also, tuna in small pull top cans. I keep a couple at work. It's a bit smelly, so I try to prepare it at home, but if I forget, the little cans keep me from being cranky. Also hardboiled eggs. But peel them at home. ;)

I don't understand not liking olives or avos. <shocking> I get the cilantro hate. I love it, but I know it tastes soapy to some. Yuck.

I do not like beef jerky.

OP, have you thought about a cod liver oil supplement?

I don't like tuna, avocado, or olives, lol. I like cilantro, in fact I'm growing some.

As for cod liver oil, I'm not taking any fish oils. I was taking flaxoil , but had to stop when my Dr put me on a new RX.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_adapting_to_a_low_carb_lifestyle

Scroll down a bit for electrolyte info. It's for ketosis, but you might find it useful. Ketosis without electrolytes (in the beginning) is the worst. When you dump the water that was with the glycogen you burned in ketosis, it takes the electrolytes with it.

Electrolytes are really important, especially in the first few days when you are losing so much water weight. I just had some labwork done and after a few days in ketosis my sodium was low. 

I'm now using some salty broth, pickles, etc. 

I don't like tuna, avocado, or olives, lol.

Without avos, I'd have to rethink my whole life. lol I depend on them for quick fuel.

What about full fat cottage cheese? Pre-washed lettuces, and chopped egg or cheese? I'm trying to think of ' easy ' foods. I made an omelette today with creme fraiche, sliced tomatoes & chard. But that took some washing, chopping and seasoning. Not too grab and go. And not something i make much during the work week. I hope you can find something that works for you. Is the new RX helping?

Arctic Mama, that sounds horrible! What does a day of food look like for you? Are these new allergies?

I seem to be on the complete opposite side of the spectrum from all you carb eating diabetics. :001_smile:  I was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago and immediately went low carb (under 30 grams per day). Even that wasn't enough. I'm closer to zero carb now and keep flirting with the idea of going all the way. I just can't eat any carbs and have reasonable blood sugars. That means not any fruit either and only very very limited veggies. I primarily eat protein now. I think that to stay low carb and be happy, you really do have to limit the carbs all the time. Eating carbs makes most people crave more carbs. You need to find the number of grams you can eat without craving more. Once you do that, it's just a way of life. I also think the number of carbs you can get away with depends on how long/far your diabetes has progressed. I'm thinking I was diabetic way longer than 3 1/2 years. If it was caught early enough, you can probably get away with eating more carbs. But, the bottom line is that diabetics can't deal with carbs. The fewer carbs you eat, the longer your diabetes will hopefully stay in check. 

I'm finding it's easier and easier to stay low carb with the foods available and restaurants dealing more and more with people's dietary changes. 

My meals have gotten to be very simple. I work full-time and I'm usually too pooped by the time I get home to make anything fancy. Scrambled eggs and bacon, etc. is a quick and easy one. I sometimes make a rollup of sliced ham filled with scrambled eggs and cheese and then lightly browned in a pan.  I'd love to give you more suggestions if you have questions.

If you haven't read Dr. Bernstein's book yet, I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Oh my that is very hard. Hugs to you.

I'm sitting home while the rest of my family are at a church potluck. The hugs are appreciated :)

I don't like tuna, avocado, or olives, lol. I like cilantro, in fact I'm growing some.

As for cod liver oil, I'm not taking any fish oils. I was taking flaxoil , but had to stop when my Dr put me on a new RX.

Tuna is "ok" for me, but I can't stand avocado and olives.  I thought I was the only one!  Can't stand cilantro either.

• Like 1

I seem to be on the complete opposite side of the spectrum from all you carb eating diabetics. :001_smile:  I was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago and immediately went low carb (under 30 grams per day). Even that wasn't enough. I'm closer to zero carb now and keep flirting with the idea of going all the way. I just can't eat any carbs and have reasonable blood sugars. That means not any fruit either and only very very limited veggies. I primarily eat protein now. I think that to stay low carb and be happy, you really do have to limit the carbs all the time. Eating carbs makes most people crave more carbs. You need to find the number of grams you can eat without craving more. Once you do that, it's just a way of life. I also think the number of carbs you can get away with depends on how long/far your diabetes has progressed. I'm thinking I was diabetic way longer than 3 1/2 years. If it was caught early enough, you can probably get away with eating more carbs. But, the bottom line is that diabetics can't deal with carbs. The fewer carbs you eat, the longer your diabetes will hopefully stay in check. 

I'm finding it's easier and easier to stay low carb with the foods available and restaurants dealing more and more with people's dietary changes. 

My meals have gotten to be very simple. I work full-time and I'm usually too pooped by the time I get home to make anything fancy. Scrambled eggs and bacon, etc. is a quick and easy one. I sometimes make a rollup of sliced ham filled with scrambled eggs and cheese and then lightly browned in a pan.  I'd love to give you more suggestions if you have questions.

If you haven't read Dr. Bernstein's book yet, I highly recommend it.

My sister probably would benefit from doing something like this because she cannot control her blood sugar at all.  It's really really scary and out of control.  She won't do it though.  And the stuff she has been told by dietitians is just ridiculous.  Her take away from them is "moderation".  Everything in moderation.  So sure she can have white rice with her meal because she is only having half a cup.  And sure she can have sugary yogurt because it's only one small container.  But this is her entire day of "moderation".  She gets readings that jump from 40 where she is almost passed out to stuff as high as the 400s.  All within a matter of an hour or two.  She has to take insulin now, but that isn't really controlling it either.  She just won't listen.

My sister probably would benefit from doing something like this because she cannot control her blood sugar at all.  It's really really scary and out of control.  She won't do it though.  And the stuff she has been told by dietitians is just ridiculous.  Her take away from them is "moderation".  Everything in moderation.  So sure she can have white rice with her meal because she is only having half a cup.  And sure she can have sugary yogurt because it's only one small container.  But this is her entire day of "moderation".  She gets readings that jump from 40 where she is almost passed out to stuff as high as the 400s.  All within a matter of an hour or two.  She has to take insulin now, but that isn't really controlling it either.  She just won't listen.

There's not much you can do about someone who won't listen except support them the best you can. There is SO much good info online now from diabetics who are successful with very low carb. Hopefully she'll start looking into it. But, I know that if I hadn't gotten the diagnosis I wouldn't have changed my diet. I was very lucky that my dr was receptive to what I was doing (I made the decision on my own and was going to do it no matter what she said). But, she moved back east and her replacement isn't as LC friendly. I'm now seeing an endo and she has been very supportive of my woeing.

My experience is that many doctors and nutritionists and dietians just spout the ADA line and that's not good enough. Anyone who tells a diabetic to eat 45 or more grams of carbs per meal is doing a ton of damage. 

One of my main goals is to avoid insulin. I just don't want to go there, so I guess that fear is a big motivator. Is your sister aware of the horrible complications of uncontrolled diabetes?

• Like 2

There's not much you can do about someone who won't listen except support them the best you can. There is SO much good info online now from diabetics who are successful with very low carb. Hopefully she'll start looking into it. But, I know that if I hadn't gotten the diagnosis I wouldn't have changed my diet. I was very lucky that my dr was receptive to what I was doing (I made the decision on my own and was going to do it no matter what she said). But, she moved back east and her replacement isn't as LC friendly. I'm now seeing an endo and she has been very supportive of my woeing.

My experience is that many doctors and nutritionists and dietians just spout the ADA line and that's not good enough. Anyone who tells a diabetic to eat 45 or more grams of carbs per meal is doing a ton of damage. 

One of my main goals is to avoid insulin. I just don't want to go there, so I guess that fear is a big motivator. Is your sister aware of the horrible complications of uncontrolled diabetes?

I suspect part of it might just be what they can realistically get people do actually do.  Telling someone to radically change things is probably not going to happen.  So maybe they figure tell them limit it to 45 grams per meal which is actually well below what is probably typical.  But yeah I don't see how that is going to do anything.

My mother never controlled her blood sugar on the menus and suggestions given to her by dietitians.  She did when she tried low carb though.  In fact she was able to go off her medication.

But people don't want to freakin listen.  So whatever.  Frustrates me somewhat regarding the misinformation out there.

I suspect part of it might just be what they can realistically get people do actually do.  Telling someone to radically change things is probably not going to happen.  So maybe they figure tell them limit it to 45 grams per meal which is actually well below what is probably typical.  But yeah I don't see how that is going to do anything.

My mother never controlled her blood sugar on the menus and suggestions given to her by dietitians.  She did when she tried low carb though.  In fact she was able to go off her medication.

But people don't want to freakin listen.  So whatever.  Frustrates me somewhat regarding the misinformation out there.

I think you're right. They probably figure that cutting down to 45 carbs per meal is radical enough. But, they aren't doing anyone any favors with that info. 

I totally agree about the misinformation. If you're diabetic, you really have no choice if you want to stay healthy, and trying to sugar coat (ha ha ha) the bottom line just doesn't work.

Glad your mom was able to make the change. 

• Like 1

I just can't seem to stick to a low carb eating plan......it makes me sick.

Is there anything else?

Since DD, I have to be careful with very low carb dieting (likely due to organ damage post-childbirth) or I get ill.  Low carb, high fiber works for me. I enjoy a hot cereal concoction of flax, chia and hemp seeds, and little PB2 soaked in warmed unsweetened almond milk. (Oatmeal is DEATH for my blood sugar; it makes me spike and then the crash is h-e-double hockey sticks.) High fiber, low carb wraps replace most bread.  And, luckily, I tolerate beans and love them.  I have the whole family on daily probiotics, as well.

Of course, what matters most is what your body tolerates. Unfortunately, I think you kind of have to try things and test your blood sugar regularly.

I think you're right. They probably figure that cutting down to 45 carbs per meal is radical enough. But, they aren't doing anyone any favors with that info. 

I totally agree about the misinformation. If you're diabetic, you really have no choice if you want to stay healthy, and trying to sugar coat (ha ha ha) the bottom line just doesn't work.

Glad your mom was able to make the change. 

Well unfortunately she also passed away at 49 from cancer.  She had a laundry list of health problems. 

When I was first diagnosed, my doctor told me to go low carb & low fat.

But that's not a good combo. It's miserable. Did you watch the video I posted earlier? Try looking into high fat low carb. Otherwise, what will you use for energy? If you're thinking protein, too much of it and it will be converted to glucose and you're back where you started.

Low carb, enough protein to maintain muscle, fat for hunger.

:grouphug:

• Like 2

Well unfortunately she also passed away at 49 from cancer.  She had a laundry list of health problems. 

:grouphug:  I'm so sorry!  I feel very fortunate to be dealing with this today rather than even 10 years ago. We re so lucky to be able to do our own research rather than just taking advice blindly from the medical world. I'd rather not have to deal with it at all, but...

• Like 1

:grouphug:  I'm so sorry!  I feel very fortunate to be dealing with this today rather than even 10 years ago. We re so lucky to be able to do our own research rather than just taking advice blindly from the medical world. I'd rather not have to deal with it at all, but...

That was many years ago so it's not raw at all.  She had a lot of health problems unfortunately. 

Part of it is that many doctors especially do not know much about nutrition.  The first thing the doctor told my mother was just some random, "Don't eat sugar."  Ok but you know they sell 100,000 products that are "sugar free"  Sugar free cookies, sugar free bread, sugar free everything.  That's not going to cut it.  Another one also told her the no fat thing.  But again, lots of fat free products out there.  Fat free mayo, fat free everything.  Those things all have more sugar and carbs.  The advice was bad.  It did not work for her.

But that's not a good combo. It's miserable. Did you watch the video I posted earlier? Try looking into high fat low carb. Otherwise, what will you use for energy? If you're thinking protein, too much of it and it will be converted to glucose and you're back where you started.

Low carb, enough protein to maintain muscle, fat for hunger.

:grouphug:

Don't worry I am now following your advice. Ă¢ËœÂº

Seriously, I cannot thank you enough.........all of you. I've been testing like crazy this weekend, and my bs are way down.

It is definitely a learning curve.

• Like 3

Do you make these? Can you share? I love both - especially sauerkraut!

I kind of gave up on sauerkraut because for the best flavor you have to let it age for six months. I'm too impatient! Kimchi only takes a few days, though.

I use the recipes in Nourishing Traditions, though I'm sure there are plenty of others out there. It's not difficult, but it is time-consuming. You have to extract the whey from some whole, unsweetened yogurt (NOT whey powder, but liquid whey). Then you shred your veggies, pound them with a mallet, add salt to inhibit the bad bacteria and whey to introduce the good bacteria, put them in a jar and leave them at room temp for a few days to ferment. I will see if I can find some instructions online rather than typing up the detailed recipe from my book.

• Like 2

Yeah and why low fat?  That's the part I don't get.  Low carb AND low fat.  Blah..

I think this is probably because some people (not everyone, and I can't remember the exact percentage, I want to say around 30%) have increased insulin resistance when they eat saturated fat.  So if they recommend low carb low fat you'll lose weight quickly, and then when you cheat and have either extra fat OR extra carbs you'll figure out which or both have the biggest effect on your numbers.  Apparently this is a genetic thing, and has to do with the number of insulin receptors on your cells.  I'm sorry, I don't have the source, I read that in a book about diabetes a few years ago when I was researching for a family member, and I don't recall which book it was.

The low-fat insulin issue is the probable reason why some people do well on McDougall-style low fat vegan plans, and others get skyrocketing blood sugar on all those carbs.

Unfortunately I think I am affected by both carbs and fat.  On the Bernstein plan my numbers stayed high.  Slightly lower than before, but high.  So I tried to go full on ketogenic and my numbers went higher than they've ever been.  Then I gave up and ate mac and cheese out of sheer frustration and surprisingly my fasting number was slightly lower than on keto.  Today when I fasted most of the day, then ate two chicken breasts, a ton of green beans, and covered it in lemon juice for dinner instead of butter, my blood sugar went down.   This low fat meal was the first time since I consciously tried to add fat to my diet when my blood sugar went in the direction I thought it would.  I need to experiment with it some more to be sure.

So that's boring.  Years ago I did a crash diet from David Kirsch called the New York Body Plan that was low carb low fat.  As I recall it involved tons of cooking, but tasted good.  I guess I'll dig that book out and try it again.

• Like 2