Menu

Alternative housing??

MommaOfalotta

I'm so intrigued by the idea of homeschooling and living in an RV. I know a family that lived in a camper while their house was being built. I am just now, (I'm usually late hearing about anything in the outside world ;) ) learning about these "Tiny houses." Some quick searching on Pinterest is showing a lot of DIY homes, small and simple, but affordable and charming.

Dh has been telling me for years he could build a home on his own.. except for the plumbing and electric, but it makes me nervous. :mellow:

I don't know if its because I want to move so bad that every option looks amazing, or if its just interesting to see how others live, BUT either way... are there any other "alternative" type homes that you know of?

Or if you live in any of the above, I'm :bigear: !

I don't know. I used to be intrigued by the idea of RV/tiny house living, but the more I think about it, the more I think it would suck unless you're in a tropical climate and can utilize your outdoor space year-round. 

My brother is converting an RV into a year-round tiny home, and he posts pictures of his progress. I couldn't do it. There's too much I want to do that I wouldn't be able to if I lived in something like that. We just put in our first garden, and I want to can and dry food this summer. No way could I do that and then store it in a ten sq ft kitchen. And we do a lot of fishing, too. I can't imagine dh trying to clean a bunch of fish in such a tiny space. Ew. 

I could see maybe traveling around for a year in an RV, but long term? Nuh-uh.

• Like 1

Yeah, the tiny house and RV living may be romanticized by me.. just a tad ;) The actual practicality of it though... my dh is 6'5 & 300 lbs. So that wouldn't work for us ;)

I just like hearing other options than the standard home. I'd really like to be able to customize and make it our own. Boat living/Boat houses sound like a dream for me.

And Mergath, I totally agree about the climate. I have always wanted to live near the beach in southern FL, so maybe that's why it sounds so good to me. Here in Ohio, though? No way.

• Like 2

Kinsa actually did the homeschooling-out-of-an-RV thing for a year - see her blog!

We also spent a year wandering, one month of which was on a boat.  Schooling on the boat actually worked quite well -- we got work done while the boat was moving, and were largely done most days by the time we anchored.

• Like 1

Yeah, the tiny house and RV living may be romanticized by me.. just a tad ;) The actual practicality of it though... my dh is 6'5 & 300 lbs. So that wouldn't work for us ;)

I just like hearing other options than the standard home. I'd really like to be able to customize and make it our own. Boat living/Boat houses sound like a dream for me.

And Mergath, I totally agree about the climate. I have always wanted to live near the beach in southern FL, so maybe that's why it sounds so good to me. Here in Ohio, though? No way.

Lol, yeah, we live in central MN. I think I'd be divorced by spring if we lived in a tiny house or an RV over the winter.

And I don't mind small houses. Our last home was 700 sq ft, our current one is around 1000, so it's not as if we're living in a mansion or something. 

As far as alternative housing goes, I've always been fascinated by intentional communities, but I'm probably romanticizing that, too. :P

• Like 1

I designed one with my dad in mind so it would turn into a tiny houseboat. Which may be an oxymoron. He didn't build it but I love the thought of it. 

I think I could do it. My grandparents lived in a motor home for a couple years, my father lived on a boat for about a year so it is sort of in my blood. My MIL thinks I currently live in a tiny house! LOL This is a mansion in the Tiny house world (700 sq ft main floor, full basement - unfinished, cape style house so upstairs is maybe 2/3 the main floor). 

I can't find the link now or remember the name of the company, but a while back I read about a new type of housing system in which each room was a separate module that locked together with other modules. You could rearrange the different room blocks into different configurations depending on your needs or move all of them to a different location.

• Like 2

RVs tend to have good arrangements. We currently live in about 1000 sq ft above the restaurant, and the space is very poorly laid out from have too many uses and being remodeled too many times over the years and it not ideal, lets put it that way. I have seen people more happy in an RV a fraction of the size of our living quarters than we are now. Also, we had a 750 sq ft apartment when ds was born and oldest dd was 7 and it was very well laid out and we were content. If it hadn't gone HUD housing we might have stayed there years because it was a great location and very private for an apartment. Privacy is an issue for me. We have very little with our current arrangement. Our bedroom is a thoroughfare. DD must walk through it to watch TV or get anything from the living room, so our romantic life suffers a lot.

We're doing a shipping container home at the moment.  We absolutely love it.  We're on 20 acres.  It is interim housing while we build, but our build will be a renovated shed/barn, honestly we really love the container but need to build to tick council boxes.

• Like 2

I can't find the link now or remember the name of the company, but a while back I read about a new type of housing system in which each room was a separate module that locked together with other modules. You could rearrange the different room blocks into different configurations depending on your needs or move all of them to a different location.

This is genius. WHY don't we have this everywhere yet? Need accessibility? Just unstack your house and enjoy one story living. That would be awesome.

• Like 1

We are living in a house that DH completely gutted and redid.  It has been wonderful.  The light switches are all precisely where they should be.  All the little things that often get skipped are done, and everything is done well.  The only problem has been that one toilet is too close to the wall.  That was because of a last minute expansion of the tub that we didn't think through.  DH is grumpy about it but that bathroom has to be expanded anyway, so the toilet will be shifted over.  .  

Plumbing was surprisingly easy.  He used these tubes.  They aren't the tubes of the 70's that were horrible.  They are sturdy and have been common in Europe for decades.  There are no joints, the tube goes direct from the central starting point to the outlet.  You put a cold water line and a hot water line into this big thing that has lots of places to hook on the tubing.  Then you have one tube going to each water outlet.  You buy a special tool to attach the tubing at both ends.  

For electrical, the part that gets expensive is the part that your DH could do. It is snaking the wire from the junction box to the final location.  

We did hire a few things.  A guy came to spray insulation on the walls.  Furnace/ AC guys.  Window installers.  I think that was it. 

If you decide to do this, look for a Habitat for Humanity store near you and make it a regular stop.  You never know what you are going to find. We got these thick foam attic insulation panels retail at $36 each for less than $2 each.  Solid mahogany 6-panel doors 15" and 18" wide for $5 each.  These are quality doors thicker than interior doors.  HEPA furnace filters for $1 each.  

• Like 1