Menu

How many of you sat and watched your first front loader cycle? LOL!

Well, not to be a kill-joy -but I hate mine. I have Kenmore HE -it takes an hour to wash a load, and my clothes are not any dryer than with a top loader, and at 14 mos old I am starting to have problem with the control board which according to my online search

http://www.epinions.com/msg/sec_~forums/show_~threads/cat_id_~17/id_~6621/forum_id_~409/pp_~4

- is NOT uncommon.

My advice a really research your brands before you buy one!:tongue_smilie:

I did.

I sat on the floor on a pile of laundry and watched it. It was so cool.

I've had my Whirlpool for 5 years and never had anything go wrong with it - I love it. I purposely didn't buy the one with the on-board heater, so maybe that keeps problems to a minimum, who knows. Oh, and I did a LOT of research ahead of time and made sure the shipping bolts weren't removed until it was in place in my basement.

asta

And yes I watched the first load and the second load and the third and I "checked" in on every load I did the first few days. I don't know why I found it so fascinating as it really isn't any different than the ones in the laundromat but somehow having it in my house made in exponentially more interesting. Even my kids enjoyed watching it. I've had them since April and now only the 20 month old thinks they are fun to watch.

Stephanie

I got a Maytag Neptune because it was the only one that didn't have a washer window. I was afraid my boys would be obsessed with watching the suds. Although the Neptune has a bad reputation (and we got a recall settlement 6 months after buying it) ours hasn't had any issues in the 4 years we've had it.

We did several times.....my husband would scoot out of his office every time it hit the spin cycle. He loved the sound of the spin cycle.....:lol:

We don't have the touch pad controls on our washer. My husband steers clear of those for the very problem one you said you were having.

My mother broke the latch on our door over stuffing our machine. Handy Hubby was able to fix it.

I got a Maytag Neptune because it was the only one that didn't have a washer window. I was afraid my boys would be obsessed with watching the suds. Although the Neptune has a bad reputation (and we got a recall settlement 6 months after buying it) ours hasn't had any issues in the 4 years we've had it.

I got no settlement, nor heard of one, but my Neptune is going on 10 years now. When we first got it, the spin cycle (the ex called it "put your trays and seatbacks in the upright position") made the cat huff up and pace about.

I used to run watch the water pouring out as the "max extract" came on.

Did the same here!

(and, i always tell everyone to NOT use soap on jeans and towels for the first wash at least - you will be surprised at how much is in there from teh old machine).

One other perk - if you wash a kids "Thing" (animal, blankie.....) they can still SEE IT and it makes it easier. I have a picture of DD with this stuff dog... LOL!

Ours are 10 years old and still going. We have decided that we won't put much money into them if they break, doesn't make sense to do that to a 10 year old machine. We've spent $75 on them i think in the last 4 years. Mine are small European machines, i'm not sure i'd know what to DO with the size of the LG's. These keep be ahead on laundry you know?

I just had DH restack them so i can claim more space in the laundry room.

I'm on my second front loader - we had a Kenmore that was only 5 years old, but it stopped working, the service man misdiagnosed it, dh spent a lot of time and we spent a fair amount of $ trying to fix it ourselves - only to find that it would not work. Sears wanted at least $400 to fix it. Imagine if they had, and it hadn't worked? We would have had to pay them AGAIN to come out and start the process all over. We were getting ready to go on vacation and I told dh he either needed to stay home from work one day and get it fixed, or let me get a new washer.

Now we have a GE front loader. Not my first choice - C0onsumer Reports didn't even review them - but dh gets a good discount on GE appliances and we did get a good deal. So far, it's been FANTASTIC! I check it frequently because it's so quiet, I'm never sure it's really working. Plus Schmooey loves to watch it go so we do spend a little time watching it cycle. Who knew it could be a primary source of entertainment? :lol:

I watched most of the first load. It was 54 mins. long and I don't have that long of an attention span :) the guy that we bought ours from told us that we could even use 1/2 T soap. so that's what we've been doing.

I hadn't heard about not using soap with the first load of jeans, though. wish I had known that.

Oh, yeah. We all agree our LG frontloader sounds like a fine tuned jet engine! :D

That is exactly what my dh said about ours. Ours is a whirlpool frontloader. It scares the living daylights out of my cat. ha ha One time she was using the liter box and it started doing that she ran out of there like something horrible was going to get her.:lol:

Holly

I watched most of the first load. It was 54 mins. long and I don't have that long of an attention span :) the guy that we bought ours from told us that we could even use 1/2 T soap. so that's what we've been doing.

I hadn't heard about not using soap with the first load of jeans, though. wish I had known that.

I was grossed out by the soap that came out of my towels and jeans when i got mine. My mom was the one that told me that - it was what the Miele dealer told her to do - wait and see WHEN you need to add soap.

So when i was selling them at Best Buy i always recommended that teh first load of jeans and towels go without soap just in case, most people thanked me for it! LOL!!

It's also fun to show just how MUCH the top loaders leave in.

Oh but i'm cracking up - my regular wash cycle is 2 hours long, quick is 30-54 minutes depending on the cycle. 54 minutes is not long! LOL!!!