Menu

Did I make a mistake?

Night Elf

I hate this feeling. I just had my outside hot tub removed. We got tired of repairing it and the cabinet it was sitting in was literally rotting and falling apart. It hasn't worked for two years and we haven't missed it. But now there is a big empty space next to my deck and it looks awful. I took the measurements and looked up a hot tub store and can't find another to fit in the space. Ours was a 4-seater so it's not like it was super small. The problem is that deck stairs wrap around where the hot tub was, so now there is just an empty space with the deck around it. I'm now worried we made a mistake. Maybe we should have repaired it again. Maybe we could have replaced the worst side of it falling apart, even though we'd never match the stain of the rest of the cabinet. When we first decided to get rid of it, I thought of planting a nice bush in that space. I can still do it, but the deck next to it looks weird now. There is a railing but it's short, as the side to get into and out of the hot tub is right there. So now we just have half a railing. Goodness, I hope we can fix this. My anxiety is going up.

Yeah, I was thinking of hiring someone to repair our deck. There is a broken railing on another side of the deck. I also need it cleaned well and re-stained. I'm thinking a handyman could do all of that. Surely a carpenter to make those repairs would be more expensive, I don't know.

I let my dogs out and one of the ran to where the hot tub used to be and literally skidded to a stop at the edge of the deck. She used to jump up on the cover. Poor baby.

Yeah, I was thinking of hiring someone to repair our deck. There is a broken railing on another side of the deck. I also need it cleaned well and re-stained. I'm thinking a handyman could do all of that. Surely a carpenter to make those repairs would be more expensive, I don't know.

I let my dogs out and one of the ran to where the hot tub used to be and literally skidded to a stop at the edge of the deck. She used to jump up on the cover. Poor baby.

Sounds like a plan to me. Sorry that this is cause you worry. I hate dealing with repairs! Poor puppy!

Jenn

Maybe it's change. Plus expenses. We had to pay for the removal. And it will cost to have the deck repaired. Of course, buying a new hot tub will be a whole lot more. There are a couple of other things I can think of to spend that money on though.

• Like 1

go to pinterest and look up deck ideas or other landscaping ideas. I bet there's something you'll find that would be better than another hot-tub.

Or... Take a picture of it and post it here and let us brainstorm with you!

I agree about posting the photo. I'm having a hard time picturing what it looks like, but maybe if we see it, someone will have a good (and inexpensive) idea to make it look nice.

We have a whirlpool tub put in by the previous owners.  It's inside the house.  I thought I would love it.  I used it maybe 2x.  I hate it.  It's a pain to clean.  It's a pain for the kids to get in and out of there.  It's just stupid and too big for the space it's in. 

Could you simply build a new part of deck in that space? Perhaps a step or two lower or higher than the adjacent deck, so that it looks like you did it on purpose? It could be a conversation area (outdoor couches!!) or a dining space, depending on what other space you have and what you'd like? You can always remove railing(s) from adjacent areas pretty easily . . . Do that and a new coat of stain on the new+old deck, and it'll all look like you did it on purpose. 

I don't think you made a mistake. You didn't miss the old hot tub for 2 years. Spend a few hundred dollars on tidying things up, and it'll be great. It looks weird now because it is a change. You'll come up with a good idea. IME, though, I'd give yourself 2 weeks to come up with a plan . . . and then execute it ASAP. Otherwise, you might be staring at that ugly mess for years if you wait to come up with the ultimate plan.

• Like 3

Or put in a garden, water feature, seating? I don't like hot tubs and it sounds like you don't love them, so I wouldn't get another one. Changes are shocking I know.

I like the water feature idea.  You can google disappearing fountains reservoirs.  I think they look great.  Maybe something like that would work for you.

Not trying to sound weird here, but we were thinking of getting a hot tub. I'm a serious germaphobe, so now I gotta know...why are they gross?

I will preface this by saying that we own and use a hot tub.

But there are illnesses specifically associated with hot tubs (like hot tub lung and various skin maladies). You have to be a fanatic about water balance and sanitizing the water, etc.

Or else.