Menu

Drinking 1/2 my weight in ounces of water.....is hard.

clementine

You mean that you're taking your weight and dividing it in half, and then drinking that number of ounces of water a day, right?

(Like if you weigh 100 pounds, you would be drinking 50 ounces of water.)

Personally, I think you should increase your intake gradually, rather than try to do it all at once.

Even with small increases, you may find yourself camped out in the bathroom a lot until you get used to it. Also, don't overdo the beverages when it's getting close to bedtime! :)

• Like 1

So if you weight 120 pounds, you are meant to drink 60 ounces of water?  Is that right?  60 ounces is about 1.7 litres, so not too extreme.  I try to keep my water cup full on my desk at work.  I drink about a litre over the course of the morning, and manage about another litre over the rest of the day (including cups of tea).

• Like 2

Why are you doing that?  Wouldn't that mean you were drinking over a hundred cups of water a day?  I don't think that's safe, is it?

ETA: Could you clarify what you mean? I think I might be reading it wrong.

I'm not the OP.  But, I drink a lot of water. 

1/2 my weight in ounces of water would be about 80 ounces, as I weigh about 160 pounds.   That is actually not even as much as I should drink, which is at least 100 ounces.  But, yes, it can be hard.  

I have been told to drink a lot to prevent kidney stones, as I have had two which means I will probably have more. I do feel better when I drink a lot!

ETA: Whoops, Catwoman and Laura beat me to it.  And I agree with Cat, don't overdo it at first. 

ETA 2:  I squirt fresh lemon juice into my water. Makes it easier to drink.  (Also recommended by the kidney doc.)

• Like 2

I think you get used to it.

I grew up in a family that barely drinks anything.  Usually 6 ounces of a sugar drink with meals, and that's that.  I married into a family that is never, ever, ever without water cups in their hands.  They drink so much it's crazy.  When I got pregnant with one of those babies from that family, I became CRAZY thirsty.  I could easily drink 100 oz of water in a day during that pregnancy.

Now, I'm not pregnant or nursing, and my natural thirst isn't that great, but the habit has stayed.  I also have 4 little children that are naturally thirsty (it's nothing for my 2 year old to down 16 oz of water at a time), so there are always water bottles and cups around, which makes it easy.   These days, I drink about 1/2 my weight just by habit.  I'm never thirsty, but I drink anyway.

• Like 1

For those of you who have increased the amount of water you drink a day did your bladder eventually relax a little? When I drink a lot of water I am constantly in the bathroom. On road trips I actually stop drinking anything so we don't have to stop so frequently.

Thank you!

Elise in NC

• Like 1

I don't drink tons of water.  Otherwise I'd be on the toilet half the day.

That's what my mum said when she saw me drinking water.  It made me wonder what the norm is.  At the office (where there are routines and I notice when I go to pee) I go to the loo at about 11, then again at about 12.30 and at 3.30.  Is that unusual?

• Like 1

For those of you who have increased the amount of water you drink a day did your bladder eventually relax a little? When I drink a lot of water I am constantly in the bathroom. On road trips I actually stop drinking anything so we don't have to stop so frequently.

Thank you!

Elise in NC

I'm a nurse, so I don't count.  I can go 14 hours, no matter what I drink.  It's not the best health habit, but it comes in handy.  ;)

• Like 2

Sorry for not being clear on the amount of water, ha!  Yes, if I weigh 150, then 75 ounces of water per day.  

I stopped drinking Diet Coke (actually all soda, but that was my vice) 13 months ago & haven't looked back.  I don't feel any better physically, but I know it was better for my health.  

I'm not sure what I'm hoping to see - better skin & circulation, lose a few pounds & less IBS maybe?  

When I get a cold, I super-up my water intake.  I do notice a difference in my skin; particularly, my lips become smoother.  The cold seems to go away faster. 

That's on a gallon per day, which is (ahem) a tad less than one oz. per lb. 

I should drink more water, but I'm busy slurping down the coffee. 

• Like 1

I drink about 100 ounces of water a day. It is pretty much all I drink.

Maybe once or twice a week I will have a cup of coffee with my hubby. I also have green tea almost every night

I just feel better drinking mainly water. My skin looks great too.

I have to have lots of ice in my water though.

• Like 1

I drink 75-100 oz of water or decaf coffee/tea a day. I go to the bathroom a couple times in the early morning (i drink the first cups of coffee quickly, plus I prefer a totally empty bladder when I work out--sorry, tmi lol), then lunch-ish, then midafternoon, then a few times before bed. It's not like I live in there.

• Like 1

I drink about a gallon per day, plus tea and coffee. I find I need very cold water, and often add flavors or lemon. I'm good with that - the hydration is necessary for my health and milk volume for the kiddo.

Now, don't FORCE water. Drink to thirst, no swimming ;). Sometimes we get really good at ignoring our thirst and find, once we are well hydrated, that we were constantly DEHYDRATED before. But I'd ramp up gradually, don't eschew a good quality salt, and don't be a monk and refuse all additives that might make it more pleasant.

I never could pull that off, OP, not even in my skinny 120 lb. days.  I simply get nauseous if I have too much water in a day.  That said, I do "eat" a lot of water.  I am a big fan of iceberg lettuce because of its fiber, water content, and ability to stand up to a burger or taco.  I use bagged salads (iceberg- and/or romaine-based) as "chips" -- I open the bag and start snacking on the dry salad instead of potato chips.  I find that when I look at the amount of veggies, fruits, and the like I'm eating a lot of the fluid people talk about drinking.  When I do this I feel nicely hydrated and not queasy from an electrolyte imbalance.

If you continue to have trouble drinking that much consider eating more water-heavy veggies as part of your fluid intake.  No one plan works for everyone, including how much water to drink.

• Like 2

That's what my mum said when she saw me drinking water.  It made me wonder what the norm is.  At the office (where there are routines and I notice when I go to pee) I go to the loo at about 11, then again at about 12.30 and at 3.30.  Is that unusual?

Doesn't seem unusual to me.  I have never really tracked how often I go, but if I drink a lot I go more.  Which makes sense. 

• Like 2

I drink about 1 gallon of water/watered down iced herbal tea/occasional juice per day. That's a little more than one oz per pound. I don't include coffee, soda or black tea, as all of those are diuretics and do not contribute to hydration. 

I'm nursing. I've been encouraged to drink lots to help boost my milk supply. It's also hot here. I'm quite thirsty at the moment, and about to go chug a pint or two of water. Followed by a pint of blueberry tea at a more reasonable pace. 

I don't pee super often. I *can* go all day without a pit stop, but that's not healthy for one's bladder and kidneys, so I try to make regular stop offs. 

• Like 1

I am really bad about drinking much of anything, but when I do drink about 60 ounces a day, or even more like 90 while nursing, it's amazing how much better I feel overall. More awake, more energy, little niggling headaches go away. I have a 27 ounce Klean Kanteen, and I try (failing badly!) to fill it and drink it three times a day.

My problem is that I don't like my drinks cold, so I used to put a little warm water in the bottle to even it all out. But now, we have softened water, except for the one line to the cold water in the kitchen. So it goes into my water bottle cold, and then it has to sit for a while before I want to drink it, and I forget. I think I need to find a larger container with a spout thingy to sit on the countertop, so I can have a few bottles' worth coming to room temp before I need them.

• Like 2