Menu

Which co-op would you choose if you were in my shoes?

Kipling

Help me choose a coop, please  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should we pick?

• Coop A
    • Coop B
    • Option C- try to do them both for a year and put off making a choice until next year.

I'm looking at two co-ops for next year, and I can't decide between them. My kids will be 12, 10, and 6 next school year, and I want a co-op that offers them a chance to develop friendships and do some activities that are different than what we do at home. We have been a part of co-op A for two years, but I'm attracted by what co-op B has to offer.

Co-op A: Kids are divided into graded levels (K&1, 2nd&3rd, 4th&5th, 6th-8th, 9-12th). They meet for half a day one day a week, and the moms sign up to teach whichever grade levels and topics they want. Some subjects have been/will be art, photography, science experiments, missionaries, writing, and logic. Pros: kids are together for the whole time and develop nice friendships, and some classes offer good enrichment. Cons: not all the moms are great classroom teachers, so while some classes are good, some are "duds," there is no choice in what classes your kids take, the middle school and high school classes are a little haphazard in what they offer (parents don't really want to teach those), and it doesn't seem to retain families as the kids get older.

Co-op B: meets one day a week for the whole day, but classes are offered "a la carte," so parents can bring their kids for as many or as few classes as they want. Classes are generally divided into grade levels, but with some overlap, for example, one class might be offered to only grades 2&3, but another class might be open to grades 1-5 (based on subject, space, and ability to integrate wide age ranges). Parents who want and feel competent teach classes, while other parents simply drop off their kids and pay a monthly tuition per class. Classes include writing, chorus, drama, art, high school sciences, elementary science experiments, etc. Outside people are brought in to teach some classes like ballet and karate.

Money is not really a factor here. Co-op A is just a minor registration fee. At coop B, parents pay per class, so that gets expensive, but if we do co-op B, I will teach, and should make enough money to pay for my kids' classes.

What it really boils down to is that my kids like co-op A because they have some friends there, but I like co-op B better because of what it has to offer. So what do you choose? The group that's comfortable and has friends or the group that might be a better long-term option for our family since there's more for middle and high school kids?

On a serious note. What is your purpose for co-op? Are you wanting just socialization and enrichment? In that case, I would go for the more relaxed half day.

Eta: and long term wise, you aren't required to pick and stick. You could go for what the kids want now and jump ship when it no longer meets your family's needs.

• Like 2

Do they see their coop A friends outside of coop? If so, they can continue cultivating those friendships while possibly making new friends in coop B. I think it boils down to what you're looking for. Do you want your kids to have social time, or do you want them to have decent outside classes? It's nice to stay with friends, but I'm sure they would make friends at the new coop too.

Do they see their coop A friends outside of coop? If so, they can continue cultivating those friendships while possibly making new friends in coop B. I think it boils down to what you're looking for. Do you want your kids to have social time, or do you want them to have decent outside classes? It's nice to stay with friends, but I'm sure they would make friends at the new coop too.

My son sees his co-op A friends outside of co-op, but my 11-year old daughter does not.  From my adult perspective, I know that they will make new friends, and that's why I'm not bound to co-op A.  We have visited co-op B, and my kids liked the classes, but when I ask what they want to do next year, they pick A because of their friends (which is totally understandable).  I guess I'm trying to decide what's more important.

My co-op is similar to A. From seeing families come and go because their kids didn't enjoy it, I would say stay with the one your kids like and have friends. As this group gets older, maybe the older kids classes will evolve as that group of moms move up.

The older classes are always the hardest to please anyone. When we have just light/fun classes, people aren't happy because their high schooler doesn't have time to "waste" on non-credit activities. When we have harder more academic offerings, people aren't happy because their kids already have enough academic work at home and they were looking for light/fun stuff.

Since the kids already have a friendship established, I would work on trying to figure out with those moms what they are looking for when the kids get older and trying to come up with classes that meet those needs so those families stay.

• Like 3

My son sees his co-op A friends outside of co-op, but my 11-year old daughter does not.  From my adult perspective, I know that they will make new friends, and that's why I'm not bound to co-op A.  We have visited co-op B, and my kids liked the classes, but when I ask what they want to do next year, they pick A because of their friends (which is totally understandable).  I guess I'm trying to decide what's more important.

Because your dd is 11, and that is such a tricky age socially, I would stick with co-op A.  Friends really start to matter then, and if everybody is still being nice to each other, and there is no drama, that is a blessing.  Ride the wave.  Stick with co-op A until it ceases to be a pleasant place.

• Like 4

We are in this situation and we do both co-ops, but only take a few courses at one of them. Can up do both co-ops? If not, and if this is for solely social reasons, I would let the kids go where they prefer. Anyway, I voted A, assuming that you only want to do one co-op.

Our co-op is much like B.  The teachers are more "professional", though some are parents.   We've done co-ops more like A, but for the time investment and money, I'd rather set up park days with their favorite homeschoolers than spend time in low quality classes that aren't rounding out well what we're doing at home. 

If friendships for your kids is the priority, it sounds like Co-op A would be the better choice. If better classes/enrichment opportunities are the priority then Co-op B.

I gave my kids the choice a few years ago and they chose co-op A, even though my choice would have been B.

I voted try to do both.  By the time my kids were the age of your two oldest, we started attending co-ops.  As my kids got closer and closer to high school age, I saw it was important what classes they took and who was teaching them.  Friends are important too.  They can develop friends at co-op B and make the transitions easier if you do decide to eventually drop co-op A.  If they are good friends, the co-op A friends won't vanish.  At one point we we were going to 3 different co-ops to get the classes I wanted for my kids - a couple hours a day on three different days.  Like us, some kids went to two different co-ops too.  Friends are important, but you need to provide the best education you see fit for your children.  Try to accomplish both a good education and a good social environment. 

• Like 2

I'd personally do co op A, because my use of co op is primarily for electives and friendship, not academics. Cost is an issue for use, so ae seeing friends, so if I were in your shoes and had to choose the choice would be fairly simple.

I was in a similar situation. I was in a relaxed, smaller co-op, not academically rigorous, and I was friends with all the moms. I was on the waiting list of the largest co-op in the area, lots of class choices, a further drive and a (justified, I now know) reputation for cliquishness.

I chose option C, both co-ops for a year. It was exhausting. And our academics at home suffered for it. But I'm not sure I would do it any differently. My kids disagreed about which co-op to join. The next year we dropped the small co-op and now only do the big one. A lot of people here are pretty anti-co-op, but I wouldn't homeschool without one.

The co-op we've been a part of for the past 6 years is similar to co-op A, and we are making the switch to one very much like co-op B in the fall.   My older child will be in high school in 2 years, and he really needs a more academic-focused co-op, where he is responsible for assignments, deadlines, tests, etc. on someone else's schedule.   

One big factor for us was that we had friends in BOTH co-ops already, so when we visited, my kids were excited about the new environment because they already had friends there.   I would probably either choose based on which co-op had the best group of friends for your children, OR do both for a year so you can maintain friendships in one group while making new friends in the other, then drop the first group.

I picked Coop A, but only because your kids pick it. I agree that Coop B sounds nice, but I would't move your kids away from friends and a place where they are happy. I think there is a chance your dd will change her vote in a year or two if the number of kids her age dwindles. 

If you can really swing it with time and money, you could try both for a year to give them a better introduction before you make the long term decision. I'd be afraid that would be way too much though.

I would do both so that you can make a good decision and stick with it according to actual experience.  You don't have to do all day with co-op B, so I would go either in the morning or afternoon, but allowing enough time to develop relationships, especially allowing for lunch so that your kids can make friends outside of the class setting.

If you think B will be a better fit long term, I think you'll have to do them both if you also want to please the kids.

I have to say, I do not at all understand the A co-op model. I've never even heard of that. It sounds like a once a week half day school. I don't understand adopting that model to begin with. Honestly, if you have influence, I would choose option D - see if you can talk the parents in co-op A into changing their model.

I can't vote.  I don't have enough information.

I think you really need to specify if your primary goal for the co-op is socializing or academics.  Only one thing can be primary. 

If your primary goal is socializing, then go to the relaxed one with less academic rigor.  That's what those are for. Don't join a co-op that has an academic focus if that's not your focus-it will only cause problems.  (There are pages and pages of threads on the problems and resentments that causes.)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/544749-what-do-you-likedislike-most-about-your-homeschool-co-op/?hl=+co#8208ops=

http://forums.welltr...8208ops=&page=3

http://forums.welltr.../?hl=co#8208ops=

http://forums.welltr.../?hl=co#8208ops=

http://forums.welltr...n homeschoolers

If your primary goal is academics then switch to the one with better academics.  Don't burn time, money and energy on a co-op with a different primary focus than yours.  I think making the switch sooner rather than later is better. I think there's a big psychological benefit to being in a group environment that better meets your needs over one that doesn't meet those needs.  Co-ops cost homeschool moms in time, energy and money.  Don't dump those precious limited resources into something that isn't as valuable when there's another option that is more valuable.

If you decide academics are your primary focus (I have no idea if you do or not) and you choose to switch to the more academic co-op, make a serious effort to maintain the most meaningful relationships your children have built in the first co-op.  That might make the transition easier for everyone. Be sure to encourage and maintain other social relationships your kids have too.

I understand children are sad and anxious when they leave one group and on to another.  They miss old friends.  I don't think that's a reason to avoid making a change if the change has significant benefits to you.  In life friends come and go.  Some move away, some spend less time with us than they used to due to life changes, and some relationships are just outgrown over time.  That's life.  I don't think children need to be protected or insulated from that.  They need hugs and kisses and acknowledgement about their feelings when they feel sad and anxious about the change.  They will be just fine.

If your primary goal is socializing, then go to the relaxed one with less academic rigor.  That's what those are for. Don't join a co-op that has an academic focus if that's not your focus-it will only cause problems.  (There are pages and pages of threads on the problems and resentments that causes.)

I totally agree with this. But it didn't sound like either of these co-ops was particularly academic. One is half day and the other full, but it's a la carte. I think the primary issue at hand is more that co-op A is the known quantity with friends but doesn't really offer much enrichment and is actually a little bit like busy work while co-op B would be similarly relaxed but let the kids get some enrichment opportunities. I think looking for enrichment with a little bit of arts and interest learning is different from wanting a co-op to cover "academics."

Thanks for all the advice. 

My purpose for a co-op is both cultivation of friendships and enrichment.  I'm not looking for something that is primarily academic, although I do like the idea of 1-2 quality academic classes for high school (ie. science with labs).  For the past two years, co-op A has provided enough enrichment for my kids, but looking ahead to the future, I see that becoming a problem.  I don't think I will be happy with  co-op A as my kids enter high school (which isn't too far away).  Even looking at this coming year, my son's classes at co-op A will be photography and writing.  Photography is fine, but he doesn't need writing instruction at co-op.  We cover that at home very thoroughly.  At co-op B, he would probably take classes like karate, art, or logic & problem solving. 

I like the fact that B offers choices of classes.  After talking it over with the kids yesterday, and looking at your responses, I am now trying to decide between options B or C.  I think B is a better long-term fit for our family, and I would rather join sooner than later to give my oldest dd a chance to start developing friendships at the group where we plan to stay through high school (yes, I recognize that it may not be a good fit, and I will be flexible.  I just like to plan ahead).  My son is on board with option B, but oldest dd doesn't want to leave her friends.

(On a side note, dd's two friends at co-op A might not even be returning next year.  For one, the family is putting their house on the market in the summer, and if/whenever it sells, they are moving to the other side of the country.  For the other, the family is undecided about returning to the co-op.  Maintaining that friendship outside of co-op will be difficult practically because we live about an hour away from them).

So, for the sake of oldest dd, I am trying to figure out how crazy it would be to do two co-ops next year.  :willy_nilly:

Co-op B: meets one day a week for the whole day, but classes are offered "a la carte," so parents can bring their kids for as many or as few classes as they want. Classes are generally divided into grade levels, but with some overlap, for example, one class might be offered to only grades 2&3, but another class might be open to grades 1-5 (based on subject, space, and ability to integrate wide age ranges). Parents who want and feel competent teach classes, while other parents simply drop off their kids and pay a monthly tuition per class. Classes include writing, chorus, drama, art, high school sciences, elementary science experiments, etc. Outside people are brought in to teach some classes like ballet and karate.

The bolded indicated to me that there is more academic rigor. 

Thanks for all the advice. 

My purpose for a co-op is both cultivation of friendships and enrichment.

But I asked about the primary focus of the co-op, or class. I'll be more clear.  Is it mastery or exposure?  That's something too many homeschoolers don't consciously consider. I'm going to detail this because co-ops can be a great addition or a thorn in the side based on whether or not parents have clearly stated to themselves their goals and  sought out co-ops or classes that specifically address those, or if they only have vague notions of what they want. 

Enrichment is a type of class, not a primary focus within a class. Enrichment classes are non-academics classes that focus on skills (visual, performing and martial arts, etc.) Academic classes (math, sciences, history, language, etc.) focus on skills too. When parents take classes so their children master skills, they want the instruction to be the primary focus.  They're signing their kids up, and possibly paying fees, primarily for their children to learn skills, not to socialize during class.  They expect socializing to happen before and after class time-not during. 

For example, at a co-op the start time will come while kids naturally interact socially with each other.  If the primary focus is on instruction in an academic or enrichment class, the teacher will stop the social interaction and begin the instruction.  If children begin to socially interact with each other during class time, the teacher will stop the social interaction and redirect their attention to the instruction and have them listen or interact with each other keeping the content (ideas and skills)  of the class the focus until class time ends.

Also, the teacher will expect the students to come prepared if homework was given. The teacher will expect to cover certain content (ideas and skills) by a certain time.  The teacher will expect parents to fully support them by making sure their child is meeting expectations by demonstrating (in assignments) that they are mastering  the content (ideas and skills) by a deadline in the assigned format(s). They expect parents to teach their children to do nothing during class time that interrupts or distracts from instruction.   People who signed up for an academic or enrichment  co-ops because instruction is their primary focus will be happy about the teacher doing this.  Those whose focus is primarily social and/or exposure will be less likely to happy about it.  

If socializing is the primary focus, the teacher will be far less likely to interrupt social interactions in progress and start more formally.  This teacher will be far less bothered by children socially interacting in a positive way with each other during class on topics that aren't directly related to the content of the class.

The teacher will be far less concerned about covering certain content by a certain time. Mastering skills and ideas isn't important-exposure to ideas and skills is.  That means they're making students aware of ideas and skills but there's little or no emphasis on measuring how much of those ideas and skills each child has mastered. The teacher will be far less concerned about the child completing assignments in a timely way or according to instructions. Homework will be less important and maybe even optional. The teacher will have fewer, if any expectations, of the parent making sure the child is meeting the expectations of the assignments.  If the parent is primarily focused on positive social interaction, they'll be fine with lower academic standards (in content, instruction, and assignments.) Parents who are there primarily for academics will not be happy. 

So, which of those scenarios are you most comfortable with at each co-op or class? It really can't be both unless adequate time is made for socializing before and/or after classes.  That's the most frequent problem with co-ops, parents are unclear or unconscious about what they care about most and then they're frustrated when they don't get what they want.  What a parent wants most can change from class to class or co-op to co-op.  Their satisfaction rate will be much higher when the person teaching and the other parents of the children enrolled care most about the same thing.  

My youngest goes to a 1 hour weekly homeschool PE classes for instruction in PE. We stay for an hour and a half after PE so she can socialize and eat lunch with the kids.