Menu

Are microwaves bad for you?

Moxie

Yes, I believe they are. There have been experiments with plants with one being watered with water heated in the microwave and then cooled, and the other watered with water heated on the stovetop and then cooled. 

The microwaved-water plant died in about a week. . .

Now, do I think I'll drop dead tomorrow if I eat microwaved food? No. But I try to avoid it. We don't have one at home, but occasionally I end up eating microwaved food if we are visiting relatives or something like that. 

My mother also warned me never to heat a baby's milk in a microwave. 

Yes, I believe they are. There have been experiments with plants with one being watered with water heated in the microwave and then cooled, and the other watered with water heated on the stovetop and then cooled. 

Now, do I think I'll drop dead tomorrow if I eat microwaved food? No. But I try to avoid it. We don't have one at home, but occasionally I end up eating microwaved food if we are visiting relatives or something like that. 

Er, the only experiments I've seen only boiled water in the microwave, and they didn't list the temperature of the water when added to the plant. Do you have a paper collating all the experiments under controlled conditions? I was really disappointed when I saw how those had been done.

As for me, no. Because whatever negative effects there are seem to be cancelled out by the positive effect of eating a more varied diet, more varied frozen veggies, and preparing more home cooked meals.

• Like 4

I have one and use it to reheat sometimes.  I do not cook foods in the microwave (such as "baked" potatoes).  I do not heat veggies in the microwave (especially those in microwave packages).  I use the stovetop or oven for those things.  I am suspicious of microwaves but do not completely disdain them.

• Like 2

No.

And there are also studies that suggest house plants can read and respond to the negative and positive thoughts of the people who handle them. Maybe the microwave water plant was being resented by the researcher. Who knows?

I'm going to try this.  I am really trying to get my parsley plant to hang in there.  Which thoughts do you suggest I impart upon them?

• Like 4

I have a fairly new microwave. I heat up leftovers, make baked potatoes, and soften butter when making cookies. I think today's microwaves are better shielded than in the 'olden' days. I figure it's never a great idea to stand within inches of it when it's doing it's thing, but other than that, not an issue.

But, who knows? I was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago....on the other hand, my mother and her father never had microwaves and both died in their 50s of cancer.

According to a recent FB article, cancer comes from having root canals anyway, so that should clear up the microwave debate.

• Like 13

I have a fairly new microwave. I heat up leftovers, make baked potatoes, and soften butter when making cookies. I think today's microwaves are better shielded than in the 'olden' days. I figure it's never a great idea to stand within inches of it when it's doing it's thing, but other than that, not an issue.

But, who knows? I was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago....on the other hand, my mother and her father never had microwaves and both died in their 50s of cancer.

According to a recent FB article, cancer comes from having root canals anyway, so that should clear up the microwave debate.

Bah. Cancer is just fungus. You can was the stuff away

:mellow:

• Like 3

Since there are doubts about the integrity of the microwaved food (breaking down molecules, etc.) I don't like to experiment. We used one for several years before I became ill. After that little incident I researched a lot of things and changed our diet and the microwave was collateral damage.

I am cooking in the regular electric wall oven or my toaster oven.

We did this experiment for a science project a few years back after I had heard the same thing. The plants watered with microwaved boiled water grew just as well as with tap water and with filtered water.

• Like 9

What says the Hive?

I have no idea. I've never considered this before. I think people just like to think newer tech is scary.

Charred food is a known carcinogen. Red meat is a known carcinogen. Alcoholic beverages are a known carcinogen. Air pollution is  a known carcinogen. Sunshine is a known carcinogen - but without it, you get rickets, so... yeah. Frying food is a known carcinogen.

And if you're very careful and avoid every possible carcinogen, and also look both ways before crossing the street and don't do any extreme sports, then you'll live a very long time... long enough to die of cancer anyway, because if you live long enough that's probably going to be what kills you, no matter what you do.

The point I'm trying to make here is that not one of us is getting out of this place alive. Until I see some peer-reviewed science on this subject - which is the only opinion I care about, not Dr. Internet - I'm not going to worry about it. (There's no strong evidence that stress causes cancer, but it's still not a good thing for your physical and mental wellbeing!)

• Like 24

I have no idea. I've never considered this before. I think people just like to think newer tech is scary.

Charred food is a known carcinogen. Red meat is a known carcinogen. Alcoholic beverages are a known carcinogen. Air pollution is  a known carcinogen. Sunshine is a known carcinogen - but without it, you get rickets, so... yeah. Frying food is a known carcinogen.

And if you're very careful and avoid every possible carcinogen, and also look both ways before crossing the street and don't do any extreme sports, then you'll live a very long time... long enough to die of cancer anyway, because if you live long enough that's probably going to be what kills you, no matter what you do.

The point I'm trying to make here is that not one of us is getting out of this place alive. Until I see some peer-reviewed science on this subject - which is the only opinion I care about, not Dr. Internet - I'm not going to worry about it. (There's no strong evidence that stress causes cancer, but it's still not a good thing for your physical and mental wellbeing!)

And sometimes that's just known in the state of California. 

• Like 7

Are you plannng on overheating the food? Probably not. Vitamins are damaged like they are in any food that's heated. The more you cook it, the more the vitamins are damaged. It's why steaming is better than boiling. Don't overcook your food and then you don't need to worry.

It is slightly easier to overcook foods in the microwave so stir halfway through and go for the shorter cooking time first. I use mine for lots of things including my morning oatmeal, baked potatoes, and reheating leftovers every day.

You'll be fine.

ETA - http://www.skepticink.com/health/2013/12/21/microwave-dangers-top-5-claims-vs-evidence/

• Like 2

Vitamins are damaged like they are in any food that's heated.

That's not true. Some nutrients and vitamins are more available to us after the food is cooked than before.

As for boiling v. steaming, that has nothing to do with the temperature (after all, they're both cooked at 212F) or the length of time they're cooked, but with how many of the water-soluble vitamins are actually being exposed to, well, water. If you use that water as base in a stock, you haven't lost those nutrients that are in it.

Edit: And google tells me that, of cooking methods, cooking in a microwave oven is the one which is most likely to preserve most of the heat-sensitive vitamins, because the cooking time is faster. I don't know how they determined that, though.

• Like 4

That's not true. Some nutrients and vitamins are more available to us after the food is cooked than before.

As for boiling v. steaming, that has nothing to do with the temperature (after all, they're both cooked at 212F) or the length of time they're cooked, but with how many of the water-soluble vitamins are actually being exposed to, well, water.

That's basically what I was getting at in a sligthly less inept way and yes, lycopene is one that benefits from cooking. Vitamin C was actually what I was mostly thinking of when I was writing my response, but that's heat in general and not specific to the microwave.

Also - http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/microwave-cooking-and-nutrition

• Like 1

That tired myth has been dispelled. You might want to check snopes

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

• Like 3

Vitamin C was actually what I was mostly thinking of when I was writing my response, but that's heat in general and not specific to the microwave.

Thank goodness vitamin C is in virtually everything. Every bit of fruit, every bite of green vegetable... even potato chips have quite a bit of the stuff!

• Like 1

A microwave can not "destroy minerals".

A microwave heats the water contained in the food by bringing the water molecules into rotation. That's it. It wiggles the dipoles and increases the kinetic energy and hence the temperature.

It does nothing to the food that boiling would not do, but in fact it does less damage since it takes less time. All heating destroys/alters certain organic compounds like vitamins (note, not the minerals).

• Like 23

Thank goodness vitamin C is in virtually everything. Every bit of fruit, every bite of green vegetable... even potato chips have quite a bit of the stuff!

You're just going to argue with whatever I post here, aren't you? ;) Red peppers are my favorite source. Eat it with your plant based iron sources for greater absorption.

Moxie, the microwave is fine. They've been out since...what, 1945? The microwave has given my kids all sorts of freedom to feed themselves. Oatmeal for breakfast. Leftovers for lunch. Quick quesadillas for a snack.

Just don't let my dh cook ramen in your microwave when he's been working a lot of overtime. He'll forget the water. The result is fairly noxious and will require the purchase of a new microwave.

• Like 6

The problem with heating baby's milk in a microwave is simply  the uneven heating patterns, and that the liquid is heated throughout the bulk, not from surface heating like on a stove. So, unless you stir the liquid and make sure it has the correct temperature, it may cause scalding if you just go by the feel of the container.

The milk is not altered or damaged, that is physically impossible.

• Like 10

Years ago I heard that they can cause problems with women's reproductive organs if you stand near them while they are on.

When it comes to things like that, less is more IMO because the technology hasn't been around long enough to see long-term results.

Yes, I know microwaves are not new, but they haven't been standard for many generations.

You're just going to argue with whatever I post here, aren't you?

How the heck can I answer that? If I say "No I'm not" then I'm arguing with you, and if I say "Yes I am" then I am *not* arguing with you. Either way I'm lying!

Though actually, I wasn't arguing with you the second time :) I was just going "Yup, vitamin C doesn't do too well with heat, thank goodness it's so fantastically abundant in everybody's diet that isn't based solely around hardtack and gruel!"

• Like 5

Years ago I heard that they can cause problems with women's reproductive organs if you stand near them while they are on.

There is no scientific evidence for this.

You can't operate the microwave unless the door is closed, and the door provides shielding.

The energy of the photons in microwave radiation is insufficient for tissue damage; it's non-ionizing radiation.

The damage to the microwaved pet comes from boiling the water inside it's body.

• Like 13

I watched a woman on youtube exclaim with genuine fright how awful and

another family is.

I guess I should clarify that it wasn't a random woman but a normalish woman I've followed for awhile. Not Freelee the Banana Girl.

A microwave can not "destroy minerals".

A microwave heats the water contained in the food by bringing the water molecules into rotation. That's it. It wiggles the dipoles and increases the kinetic energy and hence the temperature.

It does nothing to the food that boiling would not do, but in fact it does less damage since it takes less time. All heating destroys/alters certain organic compounds like vitamins (note, not the minerals).

Regentrude love, never ever let the facts get in the way of a good fear belief story. 

• Like 17

How the heck can I answer that? If I say "No I'm not" then I'm arguing with you, and if I say "Yes I am" then I am *not* arguing with you. Either way I'm lying!

*snort*

Though you'll notice regentrude basically said the same thing I did and you didn't argue with her. I guess I feel special then. :)

Microwave ovens do emit some radiation, though not much as the mechanism is contained within a small Faraday cage. (Which is why you can't make a call from a cell phone while standing inside a microwave oven, but I digress.) However, you are exposed to much more radiation simply by standing in the sun for a few minutes.

People have all sorts of funny beliefs about what can damage a women's reproductive organs. Some people think sitting on the ground can cause infertility. In the past, it's been thought that too much exercise or education could cause the uterus to shrink. At the core, this is mostly just a way to control women.

There is no evidence whatsoever that microwave ovens impact fertility.  My guess is this is just a combination of two popular tropes - the "new technology is dangerous!" trope and the "women are special delicate flowers that need to be sheltered from life!" trope.

• Like 7

When it comes to things like that, less is more IMO because the technology hasn't been around long enough to see long-term results.

Yes, I know microwaves are not new, but they haven't been standard for many generations.

Technology for touchscreen phones, and MP3 players, and even personal computers is newer still. 

:001_huh:

• Like 1