Menu

Last minute prom dress!

Aura

Watch on-line.  We ordered both of our girls' senior year dresses on-line and they both had to be shortened.  I'm 5'6" and both girls are taller than I am!  Also, I thought I looked at the time, but they were both made in China.  In and of itself, not an issue I guess, but it took a while for shipping.  So it depends just how last minute this is.

We like Nordstrom for buying formal wear online.  Good return policy and since the vast majority of their items are higher quality, you don't have to worry too much that it will arrive and look cheap.  You can set price search parameters to help keep her from falling in love with a $500 dress.  LOL

We usually order a few items and in different sizes for dd, and then just take/send the rest back. 

When ordering online it is nice to remember that the dress may need to be steamed to freshen it up.  Nordstrom will usually do it for you if you have one near by.  Otherwise a tailoring shop, bridal shop or dry cleaner will do it....just make sure to ask up front how much they will charge so you can compare prices. 

Check Amazon, especially if you have Amazon Prime. A lot of their clothing options have free returns. Make sure you check when you choose a size/color, because changing the options can sometimes eliminate the free returns. We just bought several dresses there for DD's formal, and they were all SO cute and really affordable. I was very surprised at the good quality given the prices on the dresses we chose (under $40 for each). 

Macy's did have a good number of dresses but not a single one that my DD would wear (she didn't want strapless, or to have to buy a special bra, etc.). We found a cute cocktail dress at Penney's that someone else was wearing at the recent formal. DD was glad she'd chosen one of the Amazon dresses!

Nordstrom did have beautiful dresses, if you have one near you. 

Thrift stores? Consignment shops? 

Vintage shop? I wore awesome vintage dresses to my proms.

Our area has an organization that gives prom dresses away to girls in need. I just donated a beautiful maid of honor dress to them; they have a huge selection. Perhaps you have something like this too? If cost isn't the issue, you might be able to leave them a nice donation for a dress.

Yes, Ross often has some nice semi-formal and formal type dresses.

We got my dd's dress at Dillard's. I never shop there and thought the prices would be outrageous, but I checked anyway. They have a prom department with a nice selection. My store had a sale rack and the dresses on that rack were very reasonably priced.

I did order a couple off Amazon (free returns and prime shipping!), we checked Nordstroms online, but didn't find one she liked in our price range. We'll be heading to the local stores, including thrift stores and consignment shops, tomorrow to see if we can find something. I don't want to wait for the ones from Amazon and then find that they won't work with no time left to find an alternative. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Rent the Runway may work. You don't get to keep the dress, but you do get a designer dress much less expensively. I've never used them but its popular among the college students I know. I believe they send you a dress in two sizes just in case.

Ah, you're in exactly the spot we were in last week!

I'm not sure just how "prom-y" a dress you're looking for, but DD ended up wearing this dress:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEUL81K/

We put a black crinoline under it, and it looked fantastic (though now I wish we'd done a red crinoline!). The edge of the crinoline peeped out just enough, she wore all pearls for her accessories, we used a big red flower in her hair, and she wore crimson lipstick. It was a great retro look, and she got tons of compliments. It was easy to wear, wasn't too revealing, and DD was comfortable (which was most important, since it was her first formal!).

If you want more info, I'm happy to give it. I hope your DD finds what she's looking for!

• Like 2