201 members have voted

1. 1. What tier are you?

• Tier 1
    • Tier 2
    • Tier 3
    • Tier 4
    • Tier 5
    • Tier 6 defined in the comments
    • Tier 7 Just because you want to belong somewhere!

I would call myself a five with some four roots. I didn't necessarily agree with the way fours and fives were classified, but I guess we can expect that from this type of blog. There were things in "four" that seemed more conservative than what I consider a true four to be, and I almost cannot imagine someone who calls themselves devoutly Christian belonging in the five category.

• Like 4

Also, what is "promoting kissing?" I don't really get that. I don't care if my teens kiss their bf/gf, but I'm not saying, "Hey guys! Don't you want to kiss? Please, trot over to the closet and make out while I go make popcorn!"

• Like 33

I'm annoyed that there is no tier for me.

We can make our own tiers, right?

I'm in the unabashed, heathen, progressive, bleeding-heart, inclusive, alcohol drinking, from a dysfunctional background, who won't negatively judge those who bring sweet potatoes or couscous to potlucks, but will positively judge those who bring the wine and beer (although she'd rather not deal with pot lucks unless they are done independently in the relative safety and comfort of one's own home, ideally delivered to the front door) tier. Anyone else? 

• Like 18

I felt sort of weirdly uncomfortable reading that blog post. I think it was the way she kept saying "all homeschoolers" when really she meant "all Christian homeschoolers." I wonder if she doesn't think there really are a lot of non-Christian homeschoolers or does she just know her readership? Honestly, I felt like her Tier 5 was just super patronizing. Oy.

• Like 43

I guess I don't quite understand what #3 is, but the description of #4 describes us really well in every section.  It's funny because we really do dress like the photo.  I have very conservative, biblical values.  

A year ago I would have been a 3 with 2 leanings but now I am a 3 with 4 leanings. I lightened up.

I do hate that there wasn't a tier for non-Christian homeschoolers. That's not hardly fair! But I thought it was funny. Esp the part about those in other Tiers question if Tier 5 are really even saved. Cracked me up!

• Like 4

We can make our own tiers, right?

I'm in the unabashed, heathen, progressive, bleeding-heart, inclusive, alcohol drinking, from a dysfunctional background, who won't negatively judge those who bring sweet potatoes or couscous to potlucks, but will positively judge those who bring the wine and beer (although she'd rather not deal with pot lucks unless they are done independently in the relative safety and comfort of one's own home, ideally delivered to the front door) tier. Anyone else?

Well, I can definitely bring the sweet potatoes, cuz as you know, I have 52 lbs. of them.

• Like 16

I felt sort of weirdly uncomfortable reading that blog post. I think it was the way she kept saying "all homeschoolers" when really she meant "all Christian homeschoolers." I wonder if she doesn't think there really are a lot of non-Christian homeschoolers or does she just know her readership? Honestly, I felt like her Tier 5 was just super patronizing. Oy.

I've probably spoken with 20 homeschool families. All of them were Christian and I didn't meet any through church.

That's what happens when you are "very involved with the secular world," lol! 

We secularists are deep into tattoos and smoking and drinking, too!

What IS it with Apple products and the secular homeschooling world (in general, not albeto or yourself as individuals)?

I shall remain a misfit among misfits indefinitely for I do not accept Steve Jobs as my personal saviour. :P

• Like 3

'Cuz nobody eats them, ammiright?!?

I cannot "like" this. No, I cannot. I am very sad for you, albeto. Hating on a poor, sweet vegetable like that.

• Like 6

I won't even fit into your non-Christian Tier, as I suspect it will be more liberal than any of the ones defined in the article.

I'd say we're Tier 0.  No religion, but fairly conservative of dress (maybe Tier 3 - that fake hair/makeup/skirts thing drives me crazy, but I don't do bikinis or miniskirts either), super conservative of social beliefs, and quite conservative of media (including probably a ton of the media that even Tier 2 people are good with).  

Our oldest is 9, so thank god I am nowhere near courtship nonsense yet.

How about this...

Tier Six - The People Christian Homeschoolers Apparently Don't Know

These are the people that aren't homeschooling because they're Christian. They might be Christian, but they're probably mainline protestants or maybe Catholics. They also might not be Christian. They might not believe in God. Even if they do believe in God, they probably have friends who are, like Buddhist or atheist or something. I know, scary, right?

Interaction - These homeschoolers like to interact with the world. Some may even be homeschooling in order to help their children see more of the world than their homogeneous neighborhood school. However, depending on where they live, sometimes they struggle to find other homeschoolers who don't kick them out of their groups for refusing to sign a Statement of Faith.

Family Structure - Not patriarchal. They might even be from untraditional family structures, such as same sex parents or parents who never formally married or parents who are single by choice.

Dress - Yes, they get dressed. Unless they visit a nude beach. But probably not with the children. Because they may be liberal but probably not like that. 

Relationships - Their children are allowed to have them. They're likely to be raising their kids s*x-positive. They may even have hilarious onesies like this one

Media - They don't think it's evil. They might restrict it, but that's just because they probably also believe in being outside sometimes away from Minecraft.

Now I'm confused. I was sure I was a tier 2, but I have tier 6 leanings. Proper math brings me to the wrong category.

• Like 2

I cannot "like" this. No, I cannot. I am very sad for you, albeto. Hating on a poor, sweet vegetable like that.

That's the lie. They're not sweet. They're like Steve Jobs, they look good until you find out what they really are - evil personified (or tuberized, as the case may be).

• Like 4

How about this...

Tier Six - The People Christian Homeschoolers Apparently Don't Know

These are the people that aren't homeschooling because they're Christian. They might be Christian, but they're probably mainline protestants or maybe Catholics. They also might not be Christian. They might not believe in God. Even if they do believe in God, they probably have friends who are, like Buddhist or atheist or something. I know, scary, right?

Interaction - These homeschoolers like to interact with the world. Some may even be homeschooling in order to help their children see more of the world than their homogeneous neighborhood school. However, depending on where they live, sometimes they struggle to find other homeschoolers who don't kick them out of their groups for refusing to sign a Statement of Faith.

Family Structure - Not patriarchal. They might even be from untraditional family structures, such as same sex parents or parents who never formally married or parents who are single by choice.

Dress - Yes, they get dressed. Unless they visit a nude beach. But probably not with the children. Because they may be liberal but probably not like that.

Relationships - Their children are allowed to have them. They're likely to be raising their kids s*x-positive. They may even have hilarious onesies like this one.

Media - They don't think it's evil. They might restrict it, but that's just because they probably also believe in being outside sometimes away from Minecraft.

*snort* I'm down with that. I'll go along with the Tier 6 identification.

...unless something better comes along. Albeto is tempting with her beer and tattoos, but I have a problem with the sweet potato hate. Where does Tier 6 stand on potatoes, beer, and other sweet carbs?

• Like 3

*snort* I'm down with that. I'll go along with the Tier 6 identification.

...unless something better comes along. Albeto is temtping with her beer and tattoos, but I have a problem with the sweet potato hate. Where does Tier 6 stand on potatoes, beer, and other sweet carbs?

Don't bring up diet! There's currently a tier six civil war about gluten! Whole co-ops have split down the middle over such contentious issues!

I'm pro-carbs myself but I think the tier is carb-neutral.

• Like 10

We don't do tattoos or body piercings, but we're not religious either.

I thought non-religious people were more likely to have piercings and tattoos, though?

I don't know. I have one ear piercing on each side and no tattoos, but then I also have never had wallpaper because that takes too much commitment and is too difficult to remove when I change my mind tomorrow. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 4