Menu

How many lbs. of Sweet Potatoes for 23 people?

Ginevra

Thanksgiving miracle like the loaves and fishes! :)

I said 5 lbs because I was assuming a ton of other food at a large family gathering, not one person providing one of two sides for a meal. My recipe has milk, eggs, butter, etc. and 2 lbs of potatoes is a good sized casserole dish.

Totally what I was thinking, too!

YEP, because 13 of those 16 won't touch a mashed sweet potato because we think they are nasty and of the 3 who will eat them 2 were young kids and a TBSP was plenty for them, leaving nearly 2 whole sweet potatoes for her to eat along with all of the other Thanksgiving food hence the reason she had leftovers.

If that was the case, I would think there was no point having them to begin with!

• Like 3

So...I must tell one of my favorite sweet potato stories...( don't we all have them???)

Thanksgiving dinner at SILs. I usually bring 80% of the food and I am fine with it bc I don't have to clean my house. :D

I usually bring sweet potato casserole but on this occasion, another SIL was attending who usually was on vacation for Thanksgivng and didn't normally attend the dinner. This SIL was to bring the sweet potatoes.

We're all sitting at the table, eating when hostess SIL said, "Hey, Sister, where are your sweet potatoes?"

Sister says, "Oh! Hand me my purse." Someone did and she proceeded to pull out a can of yams in syrup. She handed them to her dumbfounded sister who asked, "What am I supposed to do with these?"

"Heat them up."

"I'm eating!"

"Then use the microwave."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hand me my purse!!! Best Thanksgving line ever...

Ewww! Canned yams in Syrup! Nasty.

And let me just say: growing up, I never saw anyone make yummy mashed sweet potatoes. It was only, ever, always canned yams poured into a dish, sometimes with the redneck marshmallows on top, other times naked and alone in the pan. I thought I hated sweet potatoes because this was all I ever saw. Then, when I was thirty-six, I went to Disney and ate buffalo steak and mashed sweet potatoes at The Artist's something restaurant. I discovered sweet potatoes were actually the food of the gods. I almost licked my plate. I dreampt of it for years. And, due to the magic of the internet, I now understand what to make when instructed to bring sweet potatoes!

• Like 7

Sister says, "Oh! Hand me my purse." Someone did and she proceeded to pull out a can of yams in syrup. She handed them to her dumbfounded sister who asked, "What am I supposed to do with these?"

"Heat them up."

"I'm eating!"

"Then use the microwave."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hand me my purse!!! Best Thanksgving line ever...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thank the stars you didn't ask her to bring the turkey. Cold cuts, anyone?

• Like 9

And let me just say: growing up, I never saw anyone make yummy mashed sweet potatoes. It was only, ever, always canned yams poured into a dish, sometimes with the redneck marshmallows on top, other times naked and alone in the pan. I thought I hated sweet potatoes because this was all I ever saw. Then, when I was thirty-six, I went to Disney and ate buffalo steak and mashed sweet potatoes at The Artist's something restaurant. I discovered sweet potatoes were actually the food of the gods. I almost licked my plate. I dreampt of it for years. And, due to the magic of the internet, I now understand what to make when instructed to bring sweet potatoes!

I don't know if I was scarred by yams in cans. But I, too, though sweet potatoes were nasty and stayed away from them until I had kids. In desperation, wanting to find vegetables they would eat (and DS loved the sweet potato baby food -- left to my own devices he'd have NEVER had them) I purchased the potatoes and figured out how to make them

They have remained part of our regular meals because they are GOOD and the kids eat them!

• Like 1

ETA: WHOOPS! I meant a quantity 45-50 sweet potatoes. I didn't register the "lb" part of the question.

I have no idea about the weight of the potatoes, but for an event, yes, my family can and has eaten 45 - 50 potatoes.

Your family has 18 people that could eat close to 3 lbs of sweet potatoes per person? I can't imagine one's stomach holding that much food.

I love sweet potatoes, but I do not understand some of you making a vat of them. I'm a grown woman and a hearty eater, but sweet potatoes are BIG. I could make a meal of one of them. My initial guess would have been twelve because I assume not everyone will eat them and there will be other dishes. I had no idea we had such a sweet potato cult here!

• Like 1

ETA: WHOOPS! I meant a quantity 45-50 sweet potatoes. I didn't register the "lb" part of the question.

I have no idea about the weight of the potatoes, but for an event, yes, my family can and has eaten 45 - 50 potatoes.

The problem with going by potato is that sweet potatoes vary greatly in size, from dinky 4 oz. Potatoes to ginormous 3lb. Monster potatoes.

• Like 2

The problem with going by potato is that sweet potatoes vary greatly in size, from dinky 4 oz. Potatoes to ginormous 3lb. Monster potatoes.

Agreed. Above someone mentioned 3lbs being 6 potatoes, whereas I know that 3 that I normally buy or grow would be 3lbs.

• Like 3

So I'm thinking you should post the recipe already!! ;)

• Like 3

Okay, Easter has come and gone. Hope it was delightful for all who celebrate. We had a lovely day.

But, we need a report back from the OP.

You need to let us know:

how many pounds you used,

how they turned out,

how SIL responded to them,

how many were eaten and by whom,

how many were left over.

We would also like to see the recipe.

You also need to let us know:

whether leftovers were left at SIL's,

or you all divi'd them up,

or you took your own leftovers home.

(This is important.)

Thank you in advance.  :001_smile:

• Like 16

I love sweet potatoes, but I do not understand some of you making a vat of them. I'm a grown woman and a hearty eater, but sweet potatoes are BIG. I could make a meal of one of them. My initial guess would have been twelve because I assume not everyone will eat them and there will be other dishes. I had no idea we had such a sweet potato cult here!

It's a little disconcerting to me. I've been waiting for someone to post the correct answer: 0. 

• Like 3

Do you mean take 52# of sweet potato and divide by zero because you will be eating it all yourself?

Parish the thought. I mean the answer to the question, "How many pounds of sweet potatoes should I use to prepare a dish for 23 people?" is precisely: Zero. Zero sweet potatoes. 

The conversation might go like this:

Hey Quill, what are you bringing to dinner for Easter?

Anything but sweet potatoes. 

Great!

or

Hey Quill, will you bring the sweet potatoes?

What sweet potatoes?

The ones we'll have for dinner.

I won't step near your house if you serve those foul stones that were laid by demons in the ground on a full moon. They taste like dirt and are full of Vitamin Evil. 

Omg, you're right! How could I have been so blind? Thank you! Thank you for saving my soul! 

You're welcome. I'll bring ice cream.

I love you.

• Like 7

Parish the thought. I mean the answer to the question, "How many pounds of sweet potatoes should I use to prepare a dish for 23 people?" is precisely: Zero. Zero sweet potatoes. 

Great!

or

What sweet potatoes?

I won't step near your house if you serve those foul stones that were laid by demons in the ground on a full moon. They taste like dirt and are full of Vitamin Evil. 

Omg, you're right! How could I have been so blind? Thank you! Thank you for saving my soul! 

I love you.

I like sweet potatoes, but :lol:

• Like 1

Great!

or

What sweet potatoes?

I love you.

:lol:   I love sweet potatoes.

• Like 1

Okay, Easter has come and gone. Hope it was delightful for all who celebrate. We had a lovely day.

But, we need a report back from the OP.

You need to let us know:

how many pounds you used,

how they turned out,

how SIL responded to them,

how many were eaten and by whom,

how many were left over.

We would also like to see the recipe.

You also need to let us know:

whether leftovers were left at SIL's,

or you all divi'd them up,

or you took your own leftovers home.

(This is important.)

Thank you in advance. :001_smile:

Ha! Well things took a sharp leftward turn because I woke up sick yesterday. I can barely be vertical for more than a few minutes, so I prepared albeto's amount: zero. However, DD boldly stepped up and made them in my stead. We have WAY too many pounds of potatoes. She prepared about eight of the larger potatoes, which was less than half of what I bought. It made one standard Marney-approved dish, plus a smaller dish that I think was 1 1/2 qts.

Reportedly it was delicious. I think we brought home some leftover, but I'm in no shape to even go look around.

SIL actually sent me an email that I was missed and she hopes I will feel better soon.

• Like 7

There's your new tip to handling holidays - stay home sick (just how do you always seem to get these things at holiday time? :confused: ) and have your children prepare the food!

Seriously. The one SIL (not the host) I was dreading being round her because this is the month DD will make her college choice. This SIL is such a busy-body and is *the expert* on all things college, Dontchaknow. So I kinda got lucky with that.