Menu

How many lbs. of Sweet Potatoes for 23 people?

Ginevra

52 pounds of sweet potatoes?  That is a LOT of sweet potatoes!

I would make about 10-15 pounds, I think.  I have a 5 pound bag on my kitchen counter bought yesterday so I think I would probably use two and a half bags.  Not everyone likes them, and little kids don't eat much.  I am an overpreparer of food and always end up with too much, if that helps.

• Like 5

I like me some sweet potatoes, but that is a LOT. And I stand by my number so now we are in a stand off sweet potato pound duel. Quill must agree to abide by the winner's poundage regarding her sweet potatoes because this is serious business.

I think she should make two batches and have a second family meal to determine the correct number.

• Like 6

I guess your families sweet potato eating habits differ from mine.

I stand by my number.

I LOVE mashed sweet potatoes. But I am surrounded by strange people who may not feel similarly. And this is being hosted by my infamous SIL. Not quite Marney, but close.

• Like 3

I would use one potato per person and forget about weight.

You can't do that. The person's weight should determine the number of potatoes. Not one potato per person no matter their weight!

Infants and toddlers -- one potato

Children -- two potato

Most teens and adults -- three potato

Potato lovers who have the room for it -- four

• Like 12

I would use one potato per person and forget about weight.

Do you need to justify your answer to SIL? This makes a difference and may change my answer.

Not really. In her eyes, I would be wrong even if I were Martha Stewart and created an entire Easter diarama from candied pretzel sticks on top of the casserole.

• Like 10

Not really. In her eyes, I would be wrong even if I were Martha Stewart and created an entire Easter diarama from candied pretzel sticks on top of the casserole.

Well, If you're going to be wrong anyway, I'd go with the 52 lbs. just because it was the first response.

I still don't know what my assignment is for tomorrow. Luckily it's for dinner at my gracious and generous dsd's. She will probably say she's got everything covered, and just come as you are.

Have fun with Marney. Be sure to report back Monday.

• Like 6

I think the real question is whether the rest of your relatives can cook.

If there will be a table overflowing with delicious choices, then I'd assume that people will take a little of each and make a smaller portion.

If the sweet potatoes are likely to be the only edible food on the table, then 52 lbs sounds good to me. 

I always make generous portions of vegetables side dishes for my family gatherings for just this reason.

• Like 6

Only if Quill cooks those sweet potatoes in a crock pot---or six crock pots for all 52 pounds!

I have a spare crock pot I am willing to lend. Gotta get those 52 lbs. in.

Although the idea of just skipping the gathering with the inlaws and just buying chickens instead sounds very workable to me...

• Like 6

I had about 8 lbs. I bought yesterday. I just returned from buying about 8lbs. More. Shoppers Food had quite a deal - .50/lb. It couldn't hurt.

• Like 3

If you make mashed (sweet) potatoes, the prepared potatoes will weigh more than just a potato by itself. I think you need to think in prepared servings, not in raw potato weight.

I'd find a recipe and make 30-35 servings.

HTH

ETA: I've looked up mashed potato recipes and most have 3-4 lbs of potatoes plus other ingredients making 8 -10 servings.

So I'd make 14 pounds plus milk, butter, etc for 35 servings.

• Like 1

Dude, I totally thought at least 45 but probably 50. That is based on my family of 18ish people. When we are having an event, we would totally eat all of those sweet potatoes---on the off chance that there were any left over, it would certainly be one of the "must have" left overs.

Dude, I totally thought at least 45 but probably 50. That is based on my family of 18ish people. When we are having an event, we would totally eat all of those sweet potatoes---on the off chance that there were any left over, it would certainly be one of the "must have" left overs.

Your family has 18 people that could eat close to 3 lbs of sweet potatoes per person? I can't imagine one's stomach holding that much food.

• Like 5

I have a 5 pound bag of sweet potatoes on my counter at this very moment, purchased yesterday.  We shall call that Exhibit A.  According to Exhibit A (I just like saying that), I stand behind my original 10-15 pounds of sweet potatoes total (with leftovers).  Anyone who wishes to dispute may engage me in a duel.  That is, after I finish sitting her recovering from my long walk with the dog.

• Like 3

I really want sweet potatoes now! 

For me it would depend on what else is going to be served - if there are regular potatoes, or bread, or something, I'd bring less. 16lbs will be enough though I bet. Not everyone will eat them, some people will take a courtesy scoop, etc. 

Good luck tomorrow with the in laws!

• Like 1

"Crockpots" didn't close the thread, but "take or leave leftovers" might do it!

I remember Marney from before, cuh-rah-zee! Good luck, Quill. Let us know how it all turns out.

• Like 1

I'm totally amazed at how many sweet potatoes so many of you are eating.  For Thanksgiving we had 16 people.  My mom made 2 (not pounds but sweet potatoes) and there were still plenty of leftovers for her to enjoy later.  Clearly we are not a sweet potato loving family (at least not of the mashed variety, I do buy 50+ pounds a year for roasting and pies)

I'm totally amazed at how many sweet potatoes so many of you are eating. For Thanksgiving we had 16 people. My mom made 2 (not pounds but sweet potatoes) and there were still plenty of leftovers for her to enjoy later. Clearly we are not a sweet potato loving family (at least not of the mashed variety, I do buy 50+ pounds a year for roasting and pies)

Wait - she took out TWO sweet potatoes and served them to 16 people? What?? That's over on the other end of how-can-this-be.

• Like 4

Wait - she took out TWO sweet potatoes and served them to 16 people? What?? That's over on the other end of how-can-this-be.

YEP, because 13 of those 16 won't touch a mashed sweet potato because we think they are nasty and of the 3 who will eat them 2 were young kids and a TBSP was plenty for them, leaving nearly 2 whole sweet potatoes for her to eat along with all of the other Thanksgiving food hence the reason she had leftovers.

• Like 1

So...I must tell one of my favorite sweet potato stories...( don't we all have them???)

Thanksgiving dinner at SILs. I usually bring 80% of the food and I am fine with it bc I don't have to clean my house. :D

I usually bring sweet potato casserole but on this occasion, another SIL was attending who usually was on vacation for Thanksgivng and didn't normally attend the dinner. This SIL was to bring the sweet potatoes.

We're all sitting at the table, eating when hostess SIL said, "Hey, Sister, where are your sweet potatoes?"

Sister says, "Oh! Hand me my purse." Someone did and she proceeded to pull out a can of yams in syrup. She handed them to her dumbfounded sister who asked, "What am I supposed to do with these?"

"Heat them up."

"I'm eating!"

"Then use the microwave."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hand me my purse!!! Best Thanksgving line ever...

• Like 22

Thanksgiving miracle like the loaves and fishes! :)

I said 5 lbs because I was assuming a ton of other food at a large family gathering, not one person providing one of two sides for a meal. My recipe has milk, eggs, butter, etc. and 2 lbs of potatoes is a good sized casserole dish.

• Like 4