Menu

Negin

One would think that by now, in 2015, cosmetic companies would take the time to make something that actually works. Does anyone have any suggestions for dark circles? The natural supposed remedies take too long and I don't even believe that they work. I wish there was a cream/gel out there that one could just apply and have the shadows lighten or disappear over time. Suggestions and tips? Thanks so much.  

• Like 1

"Dark circles are caused by several factors, and each one needs to be dealt with differently. Unfortunately, there aren't any skin-care products in the world that can tackle all or even most of the causes of dark circles. That's why product after product you've used to eliminate dark circles hasn't made much, if any, difference." http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/eye-care/_/shed-some-light-on-dark-circles

I think for many women it's genetic & you will not be able to lighten, only cover up.

• Like 2

I have raccoon eyes, inherited from my mother (why did I get ALL the crappy genes???). This is the only stuff I've ever found that disguises them at. all.

http://www.target.com/p/pixi-correction-concentrate-brightening-peach/-/A-12849696

It's not perfect (and I usually top with a regular concealer) but it does help. At least it's cheap!

• Like 2

Thank you all. I'm going to have to wait until our next trip in order to get the right shade. Cosmetics & make up are very limited where we live. I love the concealer that I have YSL Touche Eclat and it is the right shade. My problem is that I seldom wear make up. I guess that I'll have to now. The very most I usually wear is tinted moisturizer and lip balm. I've been hoping that tinted moisturizer would do the trick. It helps, but it's not great.

• Do I apply concealer before or after tinted moisturizer?
  • Do I have to apply powder after concealer?

I used to know all this stuff, but after almost 18 years of not wearing make up, I'm truly out of touch. 

Thanks again. 

I would apply the tinted moisturizer first, then the concealer, then powder.

Concealer works better when the skin isn't dry, and the powder helps it to "stay".

The key to concealer is blend, blend, blend. Lots of little pats and small flicks with the finger. You also may want to apply a little concealer or your tinted moisturizer to the eyelids so there isn't a huge shade difference between the eyelids and the rest of the face.

• Like 1

I don't know what kind of dark circles you have.  If they're from blood vessels showing through light skin, I don't know what to tell you.  But, if they're actually a pigmentation in your skin, a doctor can help.

I went to a dermatologist for a spot that appeared on my nose.  She gave me a prescription for Hydroquinone USP, 4%: Skin Bleaching Cream.

I used it on the spot, but also very lightly under my eyes.  It took the dark pigmentation away.  Yay!  No more concealer for me.  

• Like 2

Again, thank you all so much. :)

The key to concealer is blend, blend, blend. Lots of little pats and small flicks with the finger. You also may want to apply a little concealer or your tinted moisturizer to the eyelids so there isn't a huge shade difference between the eyelids and the rest of the face.

Thanks for your helpful tips. 

I went to a dermatologist for a spot that appeared on my nose.  She gave me a prescription for Hydroquinone USP, 4%: Skin Bleaching Cream.

I used it on the spot, but also very lightly under my eyes.  It took the dark pigmentation away.  Yay!  No more concealer for me.  

Suzanne, how long did the results last? I could try that. 

I just hide mine with glasses.

Glasses are great! :D

Agreeing with the Bobbi Brown concealer! Works wonderfully.

I need to look into that next time we travel. For now, I have YSL Touche Eclat, which also has fabulous reviews. I'm happy with it (I think). 

Sometimes I see folks who seem to have brightness/white under their eyes. It doesn't look like makeup. It does make them look awake. I've tried under-eye  brighter products, but nothing.  Is that genetic?

Could be, but mine are worse than my mom's. She barely has any. Mind you, she sleeps like a log and I don't. 

I use Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, which doesn't settle into fine lines. Love it. Then I use Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer on top--I don't like the look of foundation at all on my older skin, but this makes it glow. Also, using a white eyeliner in the corner of the eyes really brightens the look of the eye.

I am also using a hydroquinone product but it's only been a few weeks so not seeing much of a difference yet--i think it takes a few months.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Make sure your goal is just to minimize the darkness and not eliminate it. The shape of the eye casts a shadow and most people have some bit of color difference in the under eye area. You don't want to wear the amount of make-up it would take to eliminate that. Be sure you're not allowing photo-shopped images to influence your everyday make-up application.

Also, a concealer brush is nice :-)

• Like 1

Suzanne, how long did the results last? I could try that. 

It took about a month for them to go away.  It's been two or three years since then, long enough for my medication cream to expire.  

I hope they don't come back, but if they do, I'll meed to go back to the doctor and get some more cream.

• Like 1

"Dark circles are caused by several factors, and each one needs to be dealt with differently. Unfortunately, there aren't any skin-care products in the world that can tackle all or even most of the causes of dark circles. That's why product after product you've used to eliminate dark circles hasn't made much, if any, difference." http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/eye-care/_/shed-some-light-on-dark-circles

Hornblower, I meant to thank you. I love Paula and respect all that she has to say when it comes to beauty and skin care. Thanks for the link. 

Be sure you're not allowing photo-shopped images to influence your everyday make-up application.

Also, a concealer brush is nice :-)

Thanks for the reminder re: photo shopped images. 

The Touche Eclat concealer that I currently use (although I don't use it often enough) comes with its own brush. Hadn't thought of using a brush with other concealers. That's helpful. 

I had my makeup done years ago and the makeup artist used the MAC concealer that comes in a tube and applied it to my under eyes and eyelids with a makeup sponge. It will amaze you about how much more awake you look when you apply the concealer to your eyelids as well.

Now I simply can't wait to head to a MAC counter on our next trip!

• Like 1

you're too kind Negin - I was the bearer of crappy news LOL

I think most frustrating thing for me has been that the more I need extra coverage - due to aging & sun damage etc - the worse it looks.

Putting concealer under eyes and on eyelids was great when I was in my 30's, even into my early 40's. It's a nightmarishly bad idea now. "Oh, let's highlight all those fine lines!"

99/100 once skin is older & starting to wrinkle, it looks better without makeup. A bit of tinted moisturizer is my mainstay now. I've been trying different things because I have rosacea but my options are look red or look like I'm wearing a wrinkly old mask.

you're too kind Negin - I was the bearer of crappy news LOL

I think most frustrating thing for me has been that the more I need extra coverage - due to aging & sun damage etc - the worse it looks.

Putting concealer under eyes and on eyelids was great when I was in my 30's, even into my early 40's. It's a nightmarishly bad idea now. "Oh, let's highlight all those fine lines!"

99/100 once skin is older & starting to wrinkle, it looks better without makeup. A bit of tinted moisturizer is my mainstay now. I've been trying different things because I have rosacea but my options are look red or look like I'm wearing a wrinkly old mask.

have you tried laura mercier tinted moisturizer--it looks amazing on mature skin like mine.

• Like 1

have you tried laura mercier tinted moisturizer--it looks amazing on mature skin like mine.

last I checked it had a chemical sunscreen in it, right? I'm allergic to those... which really really sucks because as I age, mineral sunscreens are way too drying. but it's all I can wear. everything else makes me get hives.   Right now i'm using Paula's Barely There which is pretty much like a bb creme....

After trying nearly everything, I have finally found something tha tworks for me.  Mally's Dark Circle Corrector.  I just looked adn didn't see it on her site, but it's on Amazon or ebay.  Just the right consistency, doesn't settle in lines, and it's a color corrector.  So no matter what 'off' color you have, it will brighten and correct.  I stipple it on with a stipple brush to blend.  Then I very lightly stipple just a little of my foundation around and on it, set it with under eye setting powder.

• Like 1

Yes, everything you said is so true. It's very frustrating.