Menu

Conservative Christian content: Voddie Baucham's blog post about Palin...

Bess

You know, I still beleive that the husband being the head of the household/submit to your husband (which, btw, does NOT mean being a doormat) is different for each family. I know a very Godly family in which the man is a SAHD and homeschools the 8 boys. She has a fabulous job with exceptional benefits. It just made sense for her to keep working. And yes, her DH is the head of the household, but they make joint decisions. They discuss their options with both partners giving their input and then he makes the final decision. But it really is a joint decision.

Does that make their family wrong? I do not believe so. It makes their family following the path that God wants for THEM. That would not work for us.

You know, I still beleive that the husband being the head of the household/submit to your husband (which, btw, does NOT mean being a doormat) is different for each family. I know a very Godly family in which the man is a SAHD and homeschools the 8 boys. She has a fabulous job with exceptional benefits. It just made sense for her to keep working. And yes, her DH is the head of the household, but they make joint decisions. They discuss their options with both partners giving their input and then he makes the final decision. But it really is a joint decision.

Does that make their family wrong? I do not believe so. It makes their family following the path that God wants for THEM. That would not work for us.

I agree. The verse speaks of wives submitting to their own husbands. if her DH has no issue with her working ( maybe he encourages it? maybe he asked her to work to help with bills? who knows....) and taking the VP position, then I don't see how anyone could say she isn't fullfilling her Biblical role?

Col 3:18¶Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

Now, for me and my family I believe my place is in the home, but in no way to I think every woman should be home and is wrong if they aren't.

Wow. Although I have great respect for Voddie B. I disagree with much of what he said, especially the part about how Mr. Palin must be feeling...how does Voddie know?

Just because Sarah is the career person in the family and her dh is at home does not mean she is not submitting to her dh biblically. Maybe her dh is making all of the decisions with her. Maybe becoming VP and having a pro-family impact on government policies will serve families moreso than her staying home and keeping her mouth shut.

True, the VP job will be grueling for their whole family but she already keeps the baby with her all the time, why not just keep the whole family with her all the time (as she may have planned). I don't think serving your country necessarily equates discarding your family. Shared adversity is proven to bring families closer together.

:iagree:

You know what if a woman is faithful to Christ and her dh is not? She is still to submit to him. If he says work, then she must do so, even though her heart may not be in it. At least that is my interpretation of the Scriptures. I'm pretty sure that Sarah Palin's dh would have to be on board to leave Alaska to go to D.C. That's an extremely big change.

because I don't know that she will necessarily be shirking her responsiblities as a mother. And, I don't know that she isn't respecting her dh by running. It could very well be the calling of their family and it just looks different than we might expect. There were many non-traditional women in the Bible who accomplished amazing things for the cause- Deborah (see other post), Esther, Lydia. . .

I now know which blogs not to read. This is very sad. People like this keep women in the dark ages. I wonder if the story of Deborah in the Bible is just a fluke or what? How very sad, I am sorry I wasted the few min reading that story, I will never get them back.

:iagree: Seems to me a witch hunt. The pundits can't find much fault with anything else. All the skeletons are out, and the only thing they can harp on is how she isn't at home barefoot and pregnant again.

People like this blogger are seriously trying to take away women right to choose. Not to choose to carry a child to term or not, but to choose what women can do with their lives.

A lot of us here have chosen go stay home with our kids. Other women have chosen to work in one capacity of another. What happens when the choice is take from us. Isn't that choice one of the things our mothers and grandmothers fought so hard for? Our right to choose what we want to do with our lives. And they are doing it by using our Christian beliefs against us.

If we aren't vigilant we may end up dressed in black from head to toe, and now allowed out of our quarters.

I'm sorry. That is the way I'm seeing things. I'll get off my soapbox now.

After reading a litte biography on Luther, his wife was pretty bossy and he was ridiculed for it, but he was absolutely ok with it. He had other priorities to concern himself with. Everybodies family dynamcis are different. History repeats itself and if we want to go back and check for ourselves, many women have been pressed into service for their countries in one way or another. What about all the women senators...what are their family dynamics? I am not looking at one woman, there are many to consider, historically and in the present times. Go Sarah.

that is best decided between Governor Palin and her husband, Todd. I like Voddie Baucham and appreciate his pro-family and Christian viewpoint, but I think there's some speculation in his blog that is unwarranted at this time. It may be true that McCain has "thrown a bone" to conservatives to engage their vote; this happens all the time in politics. However, from what I've read of Sarah Palin, I doubt if she'll be a pushover with McCain. If she's capable of handling the role of Governor and managing her family, and her husband agrees with this decision, who am I to judge their family? This doesn't make him less of a man, nor does it make her less of a pro-family governor.

I agree. The verse speaks of wives submitting to their own husbands. if her DH has no issue with her working ( maybe he encourages it? maybe he asked her to work to help with bills? who knows....) and taking the VP position, then I don't see how anyone could say she isn't fullfilling her Biblical role?

Jean, I couldn't have said it better myself!

:iagree: Seems to me a witch hunt. The pundits can't find much fault with anything else. All the skeletons are out, and the only thing they can harp on is how she isn't at home barefoot and pregnant again.

People like this blogger are seriously trying to take away women right to choose. Not to choose to carry a child to term or not, but to choose what women can do with their lives.

A lot of us here have chosen go stay home with our kids. Other women have chosen to work in one capacity of another. What happens when the choice is take from us. Isn't that choice one of the things our mothers and grandmothers fought so hard for? Our right to choose what we want to do with our lives. And they are doing it by using our Christian beliefs against us.

If we aren't vigilant we may end up dressed in black from head to toe, and now allowed out of our quarters.

I'm sorry. That is the way I'm seeing things. I'll get off my soapbox now.

I totally agree. I mean what about the story of Hannah? Was she a bad mother too because she gave her only son up, barely weened, to the Church. Why was she not home mothering him?

What I would like to know is how do they know God did not call her to do this? Maybe to be VP or maybe just to be a proponet for down syndrom babies. So many of them are aborted each year, maybe she is to bring that into the spotlight and God is using her family as an example.

I dont know, but I for one am not going to judge her. I really think stories like this who judge a woman for doing something other than what they think is the right thing to do are wrong.

I am getting off my soap box too now.

Like many of the other posters, I strongly disagree with the article posted.

I can't even sit and write all the ways I disagree. I just find this view so frustrating in the Christian community. The idea that there is only one way for a Christian wife or mother or father or husband or family to look.

It reminds me of people who had been close friends of dh's who commented to him after we got engaged that "Surely Alice isn't going to work once you are married." This was while I was finishing up my pediatric residency training. His reply was "Of course she is. We'd love to see you (they had called to say they were coming to visit) but if you are coming to discuss this please don't. " They didn't come....which was a shame as we didn't want to lose the friendship but also a shame that they could only envision a Christian home as looking one way. The good thing was that it even more endeared dh to me and to me, highlighted his strength as a future husband.

This just makes me sad... so sad I have a hard time getting angry.

It is no different than "Christians" telling young people that if they don't sacrifice their lives (or a portion of it) to be a missionary, their salvation may be in doubt (yeah, I heard that as a teen too).

We are all part of one body -- but the feet cannot replace the hands, the ears cannot replace the mouth, the brain cannot replace the heart. We all must serve our own unique function within the body in order for the body to work correctly and completely.

God has given both women and men a unique place to serve in this world and to claim "every woman" or "every man" should be or do X or Y is anti-Biblical.

The Bible is riddled with examples of strong women who took risks, stood up for what they believed in, and who were praised and raised up by God as examples for all.

It is wonderful that many moms have been called to stay home -- but that does, in no way, negate the roles to which mothers have been called throughout history -- or today.

You just described us to a T (well, except for the 8 kids...we only have 2). The economy in Michigan is dreadful right now. My husband's automotive job was downsized and he was laid off. I have more education, more earning power, a great job with excellent pay and excellent benefits. So we are "growing where we are planted".

It would be foolish (and an example of bad stewardship) for me to give up this job and put my family in financial jeopardy just so we can fit into some preconceived "mold" about men working and women staying home. We submit to each other and make all decisions jointly but dh is the recognized head of the house.

My dh is an excellent father and does a fabulous job with the homeschooling lessons. Perhaps God will eventually put us in a position where I can stay home and dh will work but for now we not only make it work...we are very happy.

It reminds me of people who had been close friends of dh's who commented to him after we got engaged that "Surely Alice isn't going to work once you are married." This was while I was finishing up my pediatric residency training. His reply was "Of course she is.

And what a service a Christian, female pediatrician can be! A few weeks ago, I put out a query to area friends for a pediatrician recommendation. Overwhelmingly, I was highly recommended to a female pediatrician in our church -- my quite Conservative church. So, I guess some folks want it both ways!

Lisa

And what a service a Christian, female pediatrician can be! A few weeks ago, I put out a query to area friends for a pediatrician recommendation. Overwhelmingly, I was highly recommended to a female pediatrician in our church -- my quite Conservative church. So, I guess some folks want it both ways!

Lisa

And why you would be more comfortable with a pediatrician who is Christian vs. Jewish or Muslim? Would not the education, credentials, years of practice, and reputation of that doctor be more important?

And why you would be more comfortable with a pediatrician who is Christian vs. Jewish or Muslim? Would not the education, credentials, years of practice, and reputation of that doctor be more important?

Not that I can speak for anyone, but...

I think that it's just her preference Jenny. Surely you wouldn't fault her for that, just as I'm pretty sure she wouldn't fault you for the preferences/requirements that you have. Education may not be as important to her as he/she being a Christian.

I don't see male gyns. Just won't do it.

But that doesn't mean I think gender trumps training, experience, and reputation. I just demand gender alongside all those things. It's not more important--they're all equally non-negotiable.

Maybe because I *adore* my kids' ped., I've always assumed that one wants a collegial relationship with one's ped. It makes everything better when you trust, admire, respect, and/or just-plain-like your ped. I don't see why sharing faith commitments shouldn't be part of your relationship with a ped, and therefore couldn't be one of your non-negotiables.

(For my part, I would consider it crucial in a counselor or therapist, in fact. Not terribly important with a surgeon. And I'd put a ped somewhere in the middle . . . or, maybe, closer to the "it's important" end of the spectrum than to the other. I haven't asked our ped about her faith commitments. But my heart was strangely warmed when she recognized the provenance of Theo's name.)

Do you think people should only use "objective" criteria for determining which doctor they prefer? That people shouldn't have subjective preferences? I'm not trying to ridicule or challenge you--it's just been a long time since I've heard someone object to the "personal preference" aspect of making personal decisions. I'm trying to understand what you find objectionable about it.

Not that I can speak for anyone, but...

I think that it's just her preference Jenny. Surely you wouldn't fault her for that, just as I'm pretty sure she wouldn't fault you for the preferences/requirements that you have. Education may not be as important to her as he/she being a Christian.

For her doctor???? Am I reading this right?

I could care less the personal spiritual beliefs of the one who will cut me open, but I sure hope they know what they are doing! Being a Christian in no way makes one a better doctor. I'm floored.

I know a very Godly family in which the man is a SAHD and homeschools the 8 boys. She has a fabulous job with exceptional benefits. It just made sense for her to keep working. And yes, her DH is the head of the household, but they make joint decisions. They discuss their options with both partners giving their input and then he makes the final decision. But it really is a joint decision.

Please check your PM box! I think there is a slight chance we know the same family!

I can see where an intersecting POV at some lines would be good in a doctor. For instance, a Jewish patient going to a Jewish doctor isn't going to get a prescription for a ham and cheese sandwich (I know that is far-fetched from any doctor), a Catholic woman going to a Catholic OB/gyn will have understanding about why she doesn't want to use birth control, a Muslim woman going to a female Muslim doctor would be preferrable according to their practices of no outside males coming in contact.

So if someone has the option between two educated, experienced and reputable doctors, the one that shares a faith with the patient would be a great bonus.

Jenny, it does not matter to everyone and that is okay. But my kids do see a pediatrician who is a Christian and my doctor is a Christian as well. When I was sick it was a great comfort to me that she would acknowledge that faith and trust in God were an important part of my healing. Though we might disagree on some things if we were to ever discuss religion (I am charismatic protestant and she is Catholic) we have enough common ground to be a comfort to me.

I have no idea what my surgeon's religious leanings (or lack thereof) were and I did not care. But for a doctor that I see on a regular basis? Yes, I like that common ground.

For her doctor???? Am I reading this right?

I could care less the personal spiritual beliefs of the one who will cut me open, but I sure hope they know what they are doing! Being a Christian in no way makes one a better doctor. I'm floored.

Yes, for her doctor. Some people prefer that, what's the big deal? People have different ideas on what makes a great doctor and perhaps religion is counted into that. I'm floored that it would bother you as much as it does. To me, this is just another way to cross all the tons of Drs. of ones list.

• Male/Female

• Religion

• Internist, Family Practitioner, or Naturopath

• Alternative or Regular

• Language

I don't see male gyns. Just won't do it.

But that doesn't mean I think gender trumps training, experience, and reputation. I just demand gender alongside all those things. It's not more important--they're all equally non-negotiable.

Maybe because I *adore* my kids' ped., I've always assumed that one wants a collegial relationship with one's ped. It makes everything better when you trust, admire, respect, and/or just-plain-like your ped. I don't see why sharing faith commitments shouldn't be part of your relationship with a ped, and therefore couldn't be one of your non-negotiables.

(For my part, I would consider it crucial in a counselor or therapist, in fact. Not terribly important with a surgeon. And I'd put a ped somewhere in the middle . . . or, maybe, closer to the "it's important" end of the spectrum than to the other. I haven't asked our ped about her faith commitments. But my heart was strangely warmed when she recognized the provenance of Theo's name.)

Do you think people should only use "objective" criteria for determining which doctor they prefer? That people shouldn't have subjective preferences? I'm not trying to ridicule or challenge you--it's just been a long time since I've heard someone object to the "personal preference" aspect of making personal decisions. I'm trying to understand what you find objectionable about it.

Actually, from personal experience I learned how dangerous it is to pick a doctor based on comfort vs. experience. It almost cost me my youngest life.

I will never make the mistake again.

People can see any doctor they wish, I would never impose my views. I doubt there is some horrible lack of Christian doctors to choose from, but I do find it odd that their faith needs to be a major factor.

I have seen both male and female doctors. Again, using one over the other because of the sex not their experience and training is foolish.

In all areas of life, until we look beyond the groups people belong to and judge them as individuals based on their abilities and not what church they belong to or don't.

Like many others here, I don't see that Scripture demands women stay home, but it does make some clear demands: (among others) 1. that we submit to our husbands as to the Lord, and 2. that we be good workers at home. I just don't think we have nearly enough information to know if Sarah Palin is obedient to those demands of Scripture or not. Nor do we have any idea how she and her husband have reconciled their faith with their choice for her to have this career.

I do usually appreciate Voddie but I think he is taking his stance a bit too far by making some assumptions and judgments that we aren't adequately knowledgeable about.

Well, Voddie is against woman having outside careers period. The NT does say for a woman to be a "keeper at home", and running for vice president would not enable her to do that, so I can see how he does not feel it was a pro-family choice to choose her. He believes that the woman should stay at home and raise her children (literally at home), so perhaps that makes more clear his blog post on the subject.

Actually, from personal experience I learned how dangerous it is to pick a doctor based on comfort vs. experience. It almost cost me my youngest life.

I will never make the mistake again.

People can see any doctor they wish, I would never impose my views. I doubt there is some horrible lack of Christian doctors to choose from, but I do find it odd that their faith needs to be a major factor.

I have seen both male and female doctors. Again, using one over the other because of the sex not their experience and training is foolish.

In all areas of life, until we look beyond the groups people belong to and judge them as individuals based on their abilities and not what church they belong to or don't.

That's the beauty of it, eh? We can all discriminate on the factors that we choose. You have your past experiences to aid in your decision. Great. Well, some people just use other criteria.

Yes, for her doctor. Some people prefer that, what's the big deal? People have different ideas on what makes a great doctor and perhaps religion is counted into that. I'm floored that it would bother you as much as it does. To me, this is just another way to cross all the tons of Drs. of ones list.

• Male/Female

• Religion

• Internist, Family Practitioner, or Naturopath

• Alternative or Regular

• Language

It doesn't bother me as much as I'm honestly perplexed. Does one also ask their dentist? How about their car mechanic (pretty important to keeping you safe)?

Where does this lead... how about only interacting with those whose faith you agree? :001_huh:

my dh was working really hard to start our ministry in the States and it was, basically, a full-time job without a lot of pay. So, I went to work. I worked in a daycare center (astonishing!) in the school-age room as the head teacher. I was able to work before school and after school and in between go home to homeschool my dc. While I was a work, dh took care of the house, laundry, kids, dinner, etc. It worked for our family at the time.

I got a LOT of ridicule and digs from christians, men and women, about how I wasn't being a good mom and my dh wasn't being a good example because I was working and bringing home the paycheck for our family. :001_huh:

It's a partnership! It's give and take. That's what a family is all about. Most people understand that--apparently not this particular blogger!

I look at Sarah Palin and her family and I think to myself, "What is the big deal?" How do we know that her dh isn't 100% behind her in all of this? How do we know that he doesn't enjoy being home taking care of his kids? Many, many fathers do it and love it. They even do a great job! Who are we, as a society, to decide what is best for this family? When did we, as a society, become the conscience for them?

I look at her and say to my now 14 yodd and 11 yodd, "Look girls, you can be anything you want to be." Do I want them to be President? Not really. But, if they want it I pray they find the right man to come alongside them to help them realize that dream.

I'm a right-wing conservative Christian SAHM and I love this choice.

It doesn't bother me as much as I'm honestly perplexed. Does one also ask their dentist? How about their car mechanic (pretty important to keeping you safe)?

Where does this lead... how about only interacting with those whose faith you agree? :001_huh:

Back where I came from there was a yellow pages with all Christian people. You name it, automotive, Drs. and whatnot.

I certainly don't believe that, but I don't think that choosing a Christian doctor means that you are taking yourself out of the world.

Back where I came from there was a yellow pages with all Christian people. You name it, automotive, Drs. and whatnot.

I certainly don't believe that, but I don't think that choosing a Christian doctor means that you are taking yourself out of the world.

But it does truly limit you to all those wonderful doctors (people) you could meet and know. Again, you are right... their choice. I just see it as a sad and limiting one.

I'm trying to ask why you are assuming that one cancels out the other, why you assume they are in competition.

Why does looking for a ________ doctor (female, Christian, Muslim, Spanish-speaking, Texan, redheaded, whatever) mean that one can't simultaneous look for a competent doctor?

My ped. is a leading authority on sports medicine. All the OB-GYNs with kids send their kids to her. If her students are any indication, she's an incredibly effective teacher. It makes me happy that she's also a Christian. I wasn't necessarily looking for it, but it does make me happy. I think there are others out there like her--that are not only competent, but leading in their field. And that share my faith.

Same with my gyn. I've met all the gyns at the practice. They're all top-notch. (They have to be, to be on faculty at Duke.) I picked a female to be my primary gyn. I didn't have to choose between the two. There's just not a competition--I can have both.

I can't imagine that in Atlanta, you'd have a dearth of options, either. Maybe in rural or underserved areas, your question is more apt. But I just don't see in Lisa's post where you'd get the idea that she's choosing religious preference over competence. When you have lots of competent doctors to choose from, why not pick one that you share some personal connection with?

I am sorry for whatever happened with your youngest, and I'm glad you both made it through. I imagine that such an experience would dominate my thinking, for the rest of my life, too.

If you want to take a point to a ridiculous extreme, then yeah. Sure.

But if you want to consider it honestly, I think we all do this to an extent. I don't know many atheists who purposely hang out with devout Christians on Sundays. I don't know many vegans who go to the meat market to shop. I don't know many breastfeeding moms who would choose a doctor with formula ads all over his waiting room. I don't know many chess-playing calculus whizzes who go hang out with the Goth punk rockers.

Maybe that's just me though. :001_smile:

But it does truly limit you to all those wonderful doctors (people) you could meet and know. Again, you are right... their choice. I just see it as a sad and limiting one.

I agree, this is not the case for me; but, I do understand it though.

Although, I would say that during the end of life issues, I would prefer to have someone who respected my religious beliefs.

his/her worldview is important as they help you to make decisions for caring for your children. An ob in my opinion is similar. I want to share the same worldview with both my OB and my Ped as their care would reflect that worldview. How they approach certain things would be based on that worldview. Does that make sense?

Knowing Voddie's position on women being "Keepers of the Home", I can see how he would argue this way. I don't agree with his position, but I can see where he is coming from. In this day and age, times have changed...a lot. I don't fault Ms. Palin for her choices. I couldn't do what she does and wouldn't have made that choice. Being home w/ my kids is what I've always wanted to do. I couldn't take on a job that would have me away from my family as much as being a Gov. or VP would. My dh almost went into politics, running for a position in local govt. We decided against it as it would take him away from his family way too often. Each family and woman is different.

Is there any type of check to make sure they really are Christians? I often wonder if some people just slap a fish on their yellow pages ad, knowing someone might buy tires from them specifically because of it. But I tend towards the cynical side of life. :D

I don't fault her for wanting a pediatrician who believes as she does. I want someone who's on the same page as me also.

Being a Christian in no way makes one a better doctor.

I'm not entirely sure of your comparison - that is, what's the end of the sentence?

"Being a Christian in no way makes one a better doctor ... than someone who is NOT a Christian" or

"Being a Christian in no way makes one a better doctor ... than they would have been were they themselves not a Christian."

I agree with the first sentence (depending on what you mean by "better!")

I will say that *I* am absolutely a better doctor than I would have been if I were not a Christian. The love of Christ constrains me to do better, and more accurate, and more thoughtful work than I would if I were not a believer. It does not, you are correct, mean that I am a better doc than anyone else, but it DOES mean that I'm better than I would be "on my own." On my own, I would not go see a patient at 2 a.m. when it was clear they were dying (and therefore, what's the point of going in to make sure they are comfortable), and on my own, I would not call a family to explain to them what death will look like for their loved one, and on my own, I would not try to help families understand the difference between cure / prolonging life / prolonging the dying process. I just know me, and know that I wouldn't be likely to do those things.

It also means that I am able to discuss end-of-life issues with confidence and (I hope) compassion because I see my work with geriatric patients who are at the end of their lives as a ministry. I think my beliefs (which I certainly do not impose on anyone) add an extra dimension of treatment that you could not GET from a non-Christian doctor. (I'm NOT saying that a non-Christian doctor is more ethical, or the only one able to discuss "hard" issues, but that my beliefs impact how I practice. My beliefs mean that I will not euthanize anyone, so if someone is interested in that practice, they would need to go elsewhere - but I would explain why I avoid that. My previous ob-gyn's (who I liked very much btw) practice of preforming pregnancy terminations seemed incompatible *to me* with the practice of prenatal care/following *my* pregnancy, so I switched to a midwife.) Often (as noted in other posts), it is somewhat easier, all other things being equal, to be able to have a certain "shorthand" with someone (be they Jewish, or Christian, or Muslim, or whatever) that you'll be entrusting your life or body or death to.

(I really should not try to post when I'm also trying to supervise school, so apologies if the above was tremendously disjointed. And as far as the original post in this thread, I've never heard of the person in the link provided, but my opinion is that he's WAY off base, and taking some Scripture completely out of context and makes huge LEAPS that are unsupported ("Are we really saying that we want to completely erase the distinctions between men and women?" Well, no, no one ever said that, but it certain injects alarm into the subject, eh?).

I will say that *I* am absolutely a better doctor than I would have been if I were not a Christian. The love of Christ constrains me to do better, and more accurate, and more thoughtful work than I would if I were not a believer. It does not, you are correct, mean that I am a better doc than anyone else, but it DOES mean that I'm better than I would be "on my own."

Amen, sister. Not a doctor myself, but exchange "doctor" for "mother", "physical therapist", "wife", etc and indeed I am better than I would have been without His grace. (Not that being a better mom is why I'm saved - no, I'm saved to bring glory to God - but He certainly urges us to better-ness on the way.)

...my opinion is that he's WAY off base, and taking some Scripture completely out of context and makes huge LEAPS that are unsupported ("Are we really saying that we want to completely erase the distinctions between men and women?" Well, no, no one ever said that, but it certain injects alarm into the subject, eh?).

:iagree: Sadly, there's a lot of this in the discussions of Palin. Leaping to unsupported conclusions and taking them to the extreme. :( But extremes draw lots of attention (ratings) and discussion (arguments).

Talking about extremes...

A mother of five (including a special needs infant and pregnant teenager) running for Vice President of the United States is an extreme thing to do!

Hmmm... unprecedented? Yes. Potentially difficult? Yes. Extreme? I don't see it that way, but we all have our own opinion. :001_smile: POTUS and VPOTUS are extremely tough jobs no matter who is elected to the position. It's not like the men who have held these offices before had nothing else in their lives to juggle.

I just find it interesting (not pointing to you in particular, Bess, just tacking this on here) that for all the cries of "women can do it all! Women can have a career and a family!", there are even liberals pointing the finger at Sarah Palin and questioning her ability to do it all.

The NT does say for a woman to be a "keeper at home", and running for vice president would not enable her to do that, so I can see how he does not feel it was a pro-family choice to choose her. He believes that the woman should stay at home and raise her children (literally at home), so perhaps that makes more clear his blog post on the subject.

Proverbs 31 talks about a woman who works, has income *and* tends to her home and children. In fact, I find the Proverbs 31 Wife/Mother/Woman to be quite contemporary.

A wife of noble character who can find?

She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her

and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,

all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax

and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships,

bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark;

she provides food for her family

and portions for her servant girls.

16 She considers a field and buys it;

out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;

her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,

and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff

and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor

and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;

for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed;

she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,

where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,

and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;

she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom,

and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household

and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;

her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things,

but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;

but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31 Give her the reward she has earned,

and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.