• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Hi, all.

Just a little update:  Buddy, my wingdog, is still sick.  Although the infection is cleared, he is still passing blood and not clearing his bladder effectively.  An ultrasound today revealed that his bladder wall doubled in thickness in the past two weeks.  So I am very much afraid that it may be cancer. :(

After about four hours of sleep at night, I’m having to get up with the dog every hour or two, so I’m pretty sleep deprived.  My conversation is less than entertaining, so I’m pretty much just lurking.  I just wanted to update you all on Buddy and not just leave you hanging.

• Like 4

Hi, all.

Just a little update: Buddy, my wingdog, is still sick. Although the infection is cleared, he is still passing blood and not clearing his bladder effectively. An ultrasound today revealed that his bladder wall doubled in thickness in the past two weeks. So I am very much afraid that it may be cancer. :(

After about four hours of sleep at night, I’m having to get up with the dog every hour or two, so I’m pretty sleep deprived. My conversation is less than entertaining, so I’m pretty much just lurking. I just wanted to update you all on Buddy and not just leave you hanging.

:grouphug: to you and buddy :grouphug:

You have been missed.

When I was a sophomore in college, my roommates and I went to Krispy Kreme almost every Saturday night to get a dozen chocolate-iced custard-filled doughnuts.  (Yes, we got the same kind every week.)  Sometimes, there weren't any left for Sunday breakfast.  And there were only 3 of us.   :leaving:

A friend of mine used to buy 2 dozen to take to work. She'd share a box and eat the other dozen herself. Her metabolism is out of this world, apparently, because she has an amazingly tiny figure. 

Now that you mention it, I have NO IDEA whether they spell it with an e or not.  Hmmmmm. I should know this, shouldn't I?

It looks better with an e.

Funny you should say that. She couldn't decide, so I did a poll on the Chat Board. It was overwhelming negative for the 'e' and everyone was saying it looked misspelled. I think it looks softer. However, I do think she will forever be correcting the spelling. 

• Like 1

It's a boy!!!  :hurray:   Congratulations!

(((JJM and Buddy)))  We've missed you JoJo'sMom.  Hope you find out more soon.  And get more sleep.

(I'm missing ProfessorMom / Heather too.)

Jean, I am grumpy too.  But I had to take oldest ds to something tonight and it was good to go somewhere.  And talk to people.  I think I need to get out more.  :leaving: :driving: :auto:

Tex, ummmm... not sure what to say about the boots.  I think you secretly wanted snow boots so you would be ready to drive north and visit all your snowy ITT friends.  

• Like 4

I need to start this soon.  I feel like I just did it.  Also, I have been doing it times two for five years now, and I will need to do Nan's last taxes this year.  She has an accountant to complete and file them, but I will need to prepare the materials and send them in and all that jazz.  I don't know what the deal is with a dead person's taxes even.  What if she owes?  I don't know what to expect.  Who is even responsible for completing taxes?  I do not think this will go easily.  Some of the documents we need will likely be not forthcoming due to MIL's involvement.  I cannot even with the taxes.

Anyway, what were you saying, Jean? :leaving:

You have to do taxes for her? But, she passed away!

That is so bizarre! I wouldn't have even considered that. 

• Like 1

Hi, all.

Just a little update: Buddy, my wingdog, is still sick. Although the infection is cleared, he is still passing blood and not clearing his bladder effectively. An ultrasound today revealed that his bladder wall doubled in thickness in the past two weeks. So I am very much afraid that it may be cancer. :(

After about four hours of sleep at night, I’m having to get up with the dog every hour or two, so I’m pretty sleep deprived. My conversation is less than entertaining, so I’m pretty much just lurking. I just wanted to update you all on Buddy and not just leave you hanging.

(((JoJosMom)))

(((Buddy)))

A friend of mine used to buy 2 dozen to take to work. She'd share a box and eat the other dozen herself. Her metabolism is out of this world, apparently, because she has an amazingly tiny figure.

Funny you should say that. She couldn't decide, so I did a poll on the Chat Board. It was overwhelming negative for the 'e' and everyone was saying it looked misspelled. I think it looks softer. However, I do think she will forever be correcting the spelling.

I probably said it looks better without on that thread. LOL

#forgetful

• Like 4

Hi, all.

Just a little update:  Buddy, my wingdog, is still sick.  Although the infection is cleared, he is still passing blood and not clearing his bladder effectively.  An ultrasound today revealed that his bladder wall doubled in thickness in the past two weeks.  So I am very much afraid that it may be cancer. :(

After about four hours of sleep at night, I’m having to get up with the dog every hour or two, so I’m pretty sleep deprived.  My conversation is less than entertaining, so I’m pretty much just lurking.  I just wanted to update you all on Buddy and not just leave you hanging.

:grouphug:

I've been worried about Buddy. 

Tex, you got me interested, so I pulled out The Necklace and read it again this afternoon. It's got me thinking seriously again about my idea to spend next year with CW Homer again working through The Twenty Master Plots and How to Build Them with some of these short stories that figure so prominently in early essay work. It might make it much easier for them to write essays on literature later if I put the time in now in teaching them how to approach a short story and take it apart for character, setting, plot, theme and style in a logical way.

• Like 1

I feel like it's a real baby now. I really haven't been sure up until this point. 

Yup. :laugh: I know what you mean.

Of course, I was pretty sure that I was giving birth to a couple of squid, the way the boys flailed around some twelve years ago.

• Like 4

I've been worried about Buddy.

Tex, you got me interested, so I pulled out The Necklace and read it again this afternoon. It's got me thinking seriously again about my idea to spend next year with CW Homer again working through The Twenty Master Plots and How to Build Them with some of these short stories that figure so prominently in early essay work. It might make it much easier for them to write essays on literature later if I put the time in now in teaching them how to approach a short story and take it apart for character, setting, plot, theme and style in a logical way.

WttW uses a lot of short stories to teach the concepts. I really like that approach. O Henry is a good short story author, as well.
  • Like 2

Yup. :laugh: I know what you mean.

Of course, I was pretty sure that I was giving birth to a couple of squid, the way the boys flailed around some twelve years ago.

I didn't find out boy or girl with any of mine, but I did want to know how many.

When I was expecting my first, I asked some twin friends of ours how early their mother knew it was twins.

One of them answered: "I was born; and then the doctor said 'There's another one.'  And Mom said, 'Another what?'"

• Like 8

I am relieved that Slache is not pregnant with an ITT fish or kitteh. JJM, I hope you can get some rest soon. Jean, did you HAVE to bring up taxes? I'd prefer to live in la la land for a couple more days. Oh and then there's FAFSA to deal with.

Did someone say they had a hot poker?

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

Those are really pretty.

I'm afraid I need to try them on to make sure they fit. My feet have widened since kids, and some shoes are too narrow.

I've been looking at Justins. (Online)

• Like 2

I could go off on enthusiastic discussion of how I'd love to see literature taught (from a writer's point of view). But this is the happy place. So I won't.

Suffice to say, I believe that one should first take literature apart by the seams before going for the buttonholes of literary devices. As a student, my eye was fixated on the perception of the short story as the grand Wizard of Oz, all device and symbols, instead of looking behind the curtain to see that it was merely a style point used by the man running the show.

ETA: Which is why what Tex does is awesome. Anybody who will help miotic eyes open wider to the possibility that a story is more than the sum of its parts is doing good in this world! Take the scary out of literary analysis.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

I could go off on enthusiastic discussion of how I'd love to see literature taught (from a writer's point of view). But this is the happy place. So I won't.

Suffice to say, I believe that one should first take literature apart by the seams before going for the buttonholes of literary devices. As a student, my eye was fixated on the perception of the short story as the grand Wizard of Oz, all device and symbols, instead of looking behind the curtain to see that it was merely a style point used by the man running the show.

ETA: Which is why what Tex does is awesome. Anybody who will help miotic eyes open wider to the possibility that a story is more than the sum of its parts is doing good in this world! Take the scary out of literary analysis.

I think this is a fine place to talk about how we think things should be.

But I'm not sure I follow your metaphor; do you mean look at the structure first?  

• Like 4

Good Morning! I am working on very limited brain power this morning.

Work ethic is an interesting topic. Coffee is needed first. :D

A caffeinated work ethic booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

Some people started posting

Not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 8

Serious question I'm wrestling with a bit right now.....

In what way (if at all) do you feel that homeschooling has impacted the work ethic of your family and your children?  Granted, work ethic can be effected by other things as well; feel free to discuss that too if you want. 

I think work ethic is learned behavior.  By homeschooling (at least in my family) we have shrunk the list of role models (that they see daily) to two -- me and dh.  If the dc were in school, they would have had teachers with different work ethics.  Some would have worse work ethics and some would have better.  (And some would have much better.)

There is no way to predict whose work ethic the dc will choose to follow.  If they went to school, they might choose the really bad one or the really good one.  Or they might choose the in-between that they see modeled at home.

• Like 4

Hmmmmmmm. Very interesting question, Lynn. My older children were not homeschooled so I don't have any experience to relate regarding their work ethic and homeschooling. So this is mostly my thoughts and probably not relevant to the question.

We have taught our children from the time they were little that everyone has a job. Daddy has a job, mommy has a job and children have jobs. Their job is to go to school, and do their best. When my oldest graduated I really hoped for a college education, but it wasn't for him. He is a very good young man, and a productive member of society. His job is one that not every one would like to do or enjoy. But he loves his job. He has not missed a day and will go in when needed. There are several reasons why I think he has a good work ethic. The first one being his father. Dh goes to work every day without complaint. He may not love his job, but he loves that he has a job. He may have called in twice in the last 10 years or so because he was very sick. We have taught him when people depend on you, you can't let them down. Another reason for his strong work ethic would be marching band. And Lynn, you know from your experience, how important each member of a band is. This was ingrained in him from 7th grade on up. A third or fourth (I've lost count) reason was when he was small I worked as an advanced EMT and was a member of our volunteer fire department. I think that played a role in him wanting to serve his community and be productive. However, he is a sloppy messy person. He throws trash out of his truck in the driveway, and he takes forever putting his laundry away, etc. I asked dh just yesterday, "has anyone raised a perfect child?" But he is good on the inside even if he makes a huge mess for someone to clean up.

So my train of thought has been derailed.

I just hope the other three turn out as well as he seems to be. And they all manage to find a spouse that will be good to them. That is one of my biggest fears. Is that they will marry or fall in love with someone that will treat them badly. Ok. I will quit rambling now. At least I gave you something to read in case you were looking to kill a few minutes. :D

• Like 6