• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I finished the first Outlander book yesterday and started on the second. I am upset with the second one because I didn't like the way it started. So I went back and read all the good parts in the first one. :D

Ok, are the Outlander books less, um, explicit than the TV show?

• Like 1

I finished the first Outlander book yesterday and started on the second. I am upset with the second one because I didn't like the way it started. So I went back and read all the good parts in the first one. :D

We are not having school today.

I will have dental pain relief tomorrow. Long story, but relief is insight.

Also, a homeschool field trip tomorrow. Ugh.

Dh's birthday was yesterday. I done nothing about it other than say happy birthday. I will have to fix that when I get to feeling better.

Which reminds me, Tex, the twins birthday is on the 19th too! It is crazy to have birthdays so close to Christmas.

Hope y'all have a wonderful day!

There's quite a few of us December birthdays. :D

• Like 5

I've been doing some family history research, and it is fascinating.  Dh's mother and a paternal aunt had already done a lot of research on their family.  We bought a family tree maker program when we married and added in all of the information.  When we added in the info for my side of the family, there was virtually nothing.  I was not happy that our children's family tree would be so lopsided, so I went to work with my friend, Google.

I have found so much interesting information!  (And I also have been able to add to dh's tree.)

So far, I've found Pilgrims, French Huguenots, Quakers, Swiss Mennonites (my step-father's family, so not blood relations), Creek Indians, people massacred in Indian raids (hopefully not by the Creeks, lol)... just all sorts of everyday people from various locations and time periods.

I'm hoping to turn these lessons into a book that my children will be able to pass to future generations.  (Maybe I should have participated in NaNoWriMo.   :laugh: )

No relatives in Sweden (that I know of).  That was just a random geography lesson.

The genealogy stuff has been passed down to me. I use Ancestry.com. I've only traced one side back to right around the Civil War. As in, she was born right around the time the war started (or was ending), but there is no record. Before the war, things get a little murky. Since all the family is hailing from Alabama and Georgia, there is a strong possibility most of them were slaves and I'll never know where they came from. Oh well.

I'm upset with the SSA. I sent a request to get the copy of my grandfather's (on my dad's side) SS application, and they sent it to me with his parents' names blacked out saying it's a possibility they are still alive. No way they are alive. We don't even know the names, but all the possibilities no longer show up on census past the 1940's-50's. The only reason I sent the request in the first place was to get their names to find out who they were. My dad doesn't even know the grandparents names on his dad's side because they were long gone before he was born. Sigh.

• Like 2

Ellie---The books depict sexual activity. They aren't extremely explicit, but it's more than just referenced.  Some of my friends aren't bothered by the descriptions (which are of married couples, generally) but some are. I think whether they are bothered or not tends to reflect how vividly images are created in their minds as they read.  I have friends who will read the books but not watch the series. I have friends who love both, and friends for whom neither book or movie is deemed appropriate for them.

• Like 1

I have to do things. I don't want to do things. I have someone coming over in an hour so I can design a website for her business. That means pants. The dishwasher is clean. Who's idea was that? The fridge needs some TLC too. Why can't Matt just do everything? I don't like doing things.

• Like 4

The genealogy stuff has been passed down to me. I use Ancestry.com. I've only traced one side back to right around the Civil War. As in, she was born right around the time the war started (or was ending), but there is no record. Before the war, things get a little murky. Since all the family is hailing from Alabama and Georgia, there is a strong possibility most of them were slaves and I'll never know where they came from. Oh well.

I'm upset with the SSA. I sent a request to get the copy of my grandfather's (on my dad's side) SS application, and they sent it to me with his parents' names blacked out saying it's a possibility they are still alive. No way they are alive. We don't even know the names, but all the possibilities no longer show up on census past the 1940's-50's. The only reason I sent the request in the first place was to get their names to find out who they were. My dad doesn't even know the grandparents names on his dad's side because they were long gone before he was born. Sigh.

:( about the slaves in your family.

Most of my family from the South lived in Alabama and Mississippi.  They were too poor to have slaves, but I have a feeling (although I haven't proven it) that they ended up with land that had been taken from Native Americans (the Trail of Tears).  My family's migration from SC to MS happened about that time.  :(

And, frustrating about not being able to find your grandfather's parents' names.  Grrr.  They must think that there's longevity in your genes. ;)

History is so much more interesting than the textbooks I had to read in school.  I would have paid more attention if I had had a way to link what I was learning about to myself.

• Like 2

I once met a man who was a descendant of my family's slaves. We both thought it was pretty cool. His last name was my mother's maiden name. There are a lot of people out there with that name because my family would buy a few slaves, have them help on a cattle run and set them free or hire them on the ranch in California. It wasn't a noble effort on their part, just cheaper than hired help. I don't really understand how, but that's what I'm told.

• Like 4

I think the policy about SS-5 is that they will not release info about people born in the last 120 years unless you can prove they are dead.  So, you know they were born sometime between 1895 (or whatever the date of request was) and now....  You just have to wait it out or figure out their names so you can prove death.  

Have you used ancestry or the like to comb census records to make it easier?

• Like 1

I need leeks.  Grocery store was sold out.  Apparently a big rush on the leeks last night.   :huh:

And dsBaby's blood, which took me three months to have drawn for a routine test because the PCP's nurse doesn't do well with kids so I had to go to the hospital instead which is waaaaaaaaaaay out of my way especially with 5 children in tow, has finally been tested and has some abnormalities.  Which are likely not a big deal, but now he needs to be retested in another week.  So back to the hospital I must go.   

But first, I need leeks. 

#badgrammar

#andidontcare

• Like 6

What I love best about this story is that I've heard it before.  

We are like an old married couple now, me and the ITT.   :001_wub:

• Like 4

Ellie---The books depict sexual activity. They aren't extremely explicit, but it's more than just referenced.  Some of my friends aren't bothered by the descriptions (which are of married couples, generally) but some are. I think whether they are bothered or not tends to reflect how vividly images are created in their minds as they read.  I have friends who will read the books but not watch the series. I have friends who love both, and friends for whom neither book or movie is deemed appropriate for them.

#shesaidsex

• Like 5

What's wrong with Cinco, Duckie?  

I sent a gruesome photo (to Jean and Renai) of what happens when I use ear mite treatment meds on the kitten. (What happens to me, not the kitten.)  I had to pull out my big stash of prescription people and vet meds.  If anyone else wants a gruesome photo, let me know.

Today is going oddly.

I was up from 4:30-6ish, but I had a dream that I was doing a garage sale at my odd father's house when a baby deer newly born wandered up and a garage sale customer and my odd father made up a mixture and I fed it to the baby deer.  Also, we then found ten newborn kittens.  I yelled for little dd to call our friend Lisette!  (She's my animal rescue friend.)  Also, puppies were involved.  I think my true calling is with animals.  Only not doing ear mite treatments.  Not that. :huh:

Hopefully nothing.  His white blood cell count was higher than it should be, given that he's (presumably) healthy.  And his thyroid was abnormal.  Only slightly so, but because he's also had some weight gain issues we are watching it.  

I would love a gruesome photo.  But if your hair is still gorgeous, I may just have to unfriend you.  Because hair envy.

• Like 3

Hopefully nothing.  His white blood cell count was higher than it should be, given that he's (presumably) healthy.  And his thyroid was abnormal.  Only slightly so, but because he's also had some weight gain issues we are watching it.  

I would love a gruesome photo.  But if your hair is still gorgeous, I may just have to unfriend you.  Because hair envy.

I will send you the gruesome photo.  My hair is not in it, just my poor arm and a hand clothed in a surgical glove which provided no protection.

• Like 1

Off to get baby his lab papers.

And quietly return a ridiculously overdue and slightly damaged library book.  (Batman.)

And get leeks. 

And swing by coffee shop because, heck, we are driving by it anyway, right?*

*We aren't.  It is 5.5 miles out of our way.  But my kids don't know that.  

• Like 7

No bacon here, unfortunately.

I dug some meatballs out of the freezer that we bought the last time we were at IKEA.

Because Sweden.   :coolgleamA:  No lingonberries, though.  Cranberries will have to do.  (At least they're the right color.)

• Like 4

Off to get baby his lab papers.

And quietly return a ridiculously overdue and slightly damaged library book. (Batman.)

And get leeks.

And swing by coffee shop because, heck, we are driving by it anyway, right?*

*We aren't. It is 5.5 miles out of our way. But my kids don't know that.

A ridiculous ly overdue slighty damaged librai book . lol

Been there! :/

• Like 4

Hmmm.

• Like 1

But first, I need leeks.

#badgrammar

#andidontcare

I grew leeks at one point. But then I harvested them and didn't know what to do with them. If I would have known you needed them I would have sent them to you. Sometimes I grow things in my garden just because it sounds cool to grow them, not because I have any desire to use them. I grew beautiful jalapeño peppers this summer, but didn't use many because I never made salsa. I grew broccoli once. Never ate it. I hate broccoli.

• Like 4

I read 1/2 of the first book and skimmed the rest but read the last 2 chapters. Just couldn't get into the story. I really tried to like it. Have not seen the show.

I devoured the first couple books in the Outlander Series. Read the second couple a little less enthusiastically and didn't read any if the rest. I guess that's the way it is with sequels.
  • Like 1

I have beef stew in the crockpot right now, but potato/bacon/leek soup is on the menu for tomorrow.  I've had to switch my recipe from cream base to broth base now that my girls are dairy intolerant, but it's still awesome.

I'm still catching up on the day, but just wanted to say that since you mentioned a recipe, you should share it!  Both versions!  :)

• Like 2

Junie, I loved reading about your family.  I need to get my family's info back from one of my brothers.  I don't remember how many greats back it was, but a great, great, ......... great, grandmother came on the Mayflower, but it was not the original voyage.  It was a later one. 

Unrelated to my own family, but interesting to me because it focused on where I live, was a book I read called Lincoln and the Bluegrass.  So fascinating to read about different parts of Lexington, as well as his visits to the Todd home, interactions with Henry Clay, etc  It was also interesting to me to read about the slave issue here.  For a time there was a law that did not allow slaves to be traded across the KY state line.  But the staunch pro-slavery voice eventually succeeded in changing that law which strengthened their economic interest in slavery and their political influence.  Mary Todd's father was criticized for being anti-slavery because he was against that change.  (Going by memory here, but I think I'm retelling that part correctly.)  Also, I had heard of Cassius Clay, (relative of Henry), but had no idea how anti-slavery he was.  I'm planning to read it again sometime and take notes.  It's a very well written book as well, in addition to having gobs of footnotes. 

Just tag-teaming on Junie's educational post for the day. 

• Like 6

One more educational post....

I was debating on canceling morning time tomorrow because I have to take oldest to school in the morning.  13yo ds actually requested I not cancel it...... in order to keep him from sleeping in.  (Well, I might have liked if he has said because he loves morning time, but I'll take his acceptance of the need to get up and get going as good enough!) 

• Like 6

I helped this chick with her website. She's computer illiterate. She was convinced that the reason I couldn't sign in from my computer was because she could only sign in from hers. It took me 2 hours to convince her she'd forgotten her password. She had a mac but the tutorial on YouTube was a pc so she went out and bought a pc last weekend. The whole thing was a disaster. She's coming next week so we can do more.

• Like 7

I think the policy about SS-5 is that they will not release info about people born in the last 120 years unless you can prove they are dead.  So, you know they were born sometime between 1895 (or whatever the date of request was) and now....  You just have to wait it out or figure out their names so you can prove death.  

Have you used ancestry or the like to comb census records to make it easier?

It is (policy) and I am (on ancestry). The problem is, there are a lot of Dunklins. We have no idea of which family we are tied in to. The only Dunklins that could possibly be parents of my grandfather are all dead, all though we don't know which line he is from.  That is what is so frustrating. We know they are dead, we just don't know who they are.

• Like 3