Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!!!!!!

Today is the day I have to cook. I am fixing a turkey for the first time ever. All I know is what I have read here. I think I am going to think of it as a REALLY large chicken, and roast it like I do chicken. Think it will work out? Maybe I should look at some recipes? It is not too large just about 11 1/2 lbs.

I think ds20 is getting sick. He laid around all day yesterday and asked for Sudafed. :(

I/we made chocolate chip cookies last night using the new stand mixer. Wow! It is fast. I did not preheat the oven right away because it always takes so long, but I should have, and we would've still had to wait for it to preheat probably. (Wow, what a run on sentence!)

Well, I better get started.

• Like 7

Morning!

Today I am venturing out to a store with dd17 to buy a birthday present for ddalmost13 whose birthday is next Friday. I think I will also pick up some candy and other snacks for ds20 to take back with him for these last couple weeks of school/finals.

Other than that, we just need to practice Christmas music for the nursing home party next week and Christmas service at the in-laws.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Wow, Junie.  :hurray:  for you and dh both.

Susan, wishing you a peaceful shopping trip today.  Dh made a quick grocery run in Walmart last night and said it was no different than usual, but according to cashier it was crazy Thursday night when it opened - checkout lines all the way to the back of the store! 

AND I love the thought of a real tree outside.  I would love the smell too, and the outside temperature would be better for it than indoors.  I have threatened to go "no-tree" next year when dh is deployed, but maybe I'll do that instead.  If the kids let me get away with it. 

I'm back from running.  It is SO pleasant outside - almost 60 degrees!!!

Dawn - Happy Cooking!  May your turkey be brown and crisp outside and juicy inside.  Hope ds feels better soon!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 6

And Matt's paycheck was (drumroll please) SHORT by about $400. Why was it short, you ask? Because they didn't approve the overtime but still subtracted the days off. Isn't that lovely? He already received an email saying they're working on it. I hate this company. I really do.

Did I tell you about his new boss that fired all the Mexicans his first week? That was so stupid. 14 workers, 3 Mexicans. Wasn't obvious *at all*. HR gave them 2 years severance after they were confronted. Woops.

Oh, and this is even better. Matt works with this Cambodian man with a mental handicap because he was raised in the concentration camps. He's worked there for I believe 14 years. He's never had a raise. Never. He makes a little over half what Matt makes. He goes for a review every 3 months and they tell him what a wonderful job he's doing, he asks for a raise, they tell him they'll put in for one, he gets denied. It's awesome.

Ok. I'm going back to bed. Rant over. Goodnight.

While I was shopping...

Y'all (not ya'll):

ate lots of stuffing, some of it with pounds of butter, some of it for breakfast, and (almost) some of it that was left on the front porch

discussed phonics (Corolla)

had an adventure with homeless people's stuff

realized that Slache on a used car lot is dangerous

and I can't remember what else.

This thread sounds like a new sitcom.  :laugh:

• Like 9

Pumpkin pie-done

Peach pie-in the oven

Turkey-washed, dried, buttered, salted, peppered, bay leaves, garlic, and onions in the cavity. Ready for the oven. Oh, and meat thermometer inserted.

I think I may be a little behind schedule. But it says the turkey should take 3 1/2 - 4 hours. So that puts dinner/supper about 2ish. I'm fine with that. MIL may have a fit. She likes to eat early. Oh, well. I have had help in the kitchen this morning. Little ds got up to help out, and was upset I didn't wake him sooner. That is why I am behind a little, but so worth it to listen to his commentary about turkeys and pumpkin pie. :lol:

• Like 5

While I was shopping...

Y'all (not ya'll):

ate lots of stuffing, some of it with pounds of butter, some of it for breakfast, and (almost) some of it that was left on the front porch

discussed phonics (Corolla)

had an adventure with homeless people's stuff

realized that Slache on a used car lot is dangerous

and I can't remember what else.

This thread sounds like a new sitcom.  :laugh:

We are Seinfeld, the thread about nothing. :lol:

Pumpkin pie-done

Peach pie-in the oven

Turkey-washed, dried, buttered, salted, peppered, bay leaves, garlic, and onions in the cavity. Ready for the oven. Oh, and meat thermometer inserted.

I think I may be a little behind schedule. But it says the turkey should take 3 1/2 - 4 hours. So that puts dinner/supper about 2ish. I'm fine with that. MIL may have a fit. She likes to eat early. Oh, well. I have had help in the kitchen this morning. Little ds got up to help out, and was upset I didn't wake him sooner. That is why I am behind a little, but so worth it to listen to his commentary about turkeys and pumpkin pie. :lol:

Do you have a meat thermometer that you leave in during the entire cooking process?  I didn't know about these. 

• Like 5

We are flooding here.  One route to our house has been closed since Thanksgiving day.  Several people have died.  One man was trying to get to his job at Target, and his car was swept away in a flood.  I am such a hermit that I don't mind being stuck in the house.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

We are Seinfeld, the thread about nothing. :lol:

Do you have a meat thermometer that you leave in during the entire cooking process? I didn't know about these.

Yep. It is round and metal with a long pointy thing that you push into the meat. I hope you leave it in the whole time. The instructions that was on the turkey package said to. I have had it for years but have never used it. There was a plastic clampy thing around the legs, and the package said to leave that as well. Is that right?

I also have bread and rolls rising as well.

• Like 1

Yep. It is round and metal with a long pointy thing that you push into the meat. I hope you leave it in the whole time. The instructions that was on the turkey package said to. I have had it for years but have never used it. There was a plastic clampy thing around the legs, and the package said to leave that as well. Is that right?

I also have bread and rolls rising as well.

Does it have any glass in it?  Mine does, and I would not leave it in.  I just take out the turkey at the earliest time it might be done and stick the meat thermometer in the thickest part of the breast, avoiding the bone.  I put it in several places to make sure I have a consistent temperature.  I use turkey bags.

The directions on my turkey said to remove the plastic thing holding the legs.  Also, you have to do that to get at the neck/giblets stuck in the cavity.  And don't forget that they usually stick the giblets up the turkey's butt.  I forgot one year and cooked the giblet bag in the turkey.  No real harm was done, but it grossed me out.

#isaidbutt

• Like 2

And Matt's paycheck was (drumroll please) SHORT by about $400. Why was it short, you ask? Because they didn't approve the overtime but still subtracted the days off. Isn't that lovely? He already received an email saying they're working on it. I hate this company. I really do.

Did I tell you about his new boss that fired all the Mexicans his first week? That was so stupid. 14 workers, 3 Mexicans. Wasn't obvious *at all*. HR gave them 2 years severance after they were confronted. Woops.

Oh, and this is even better. Matt works with this Cambodian man with a mental handicap because he was raised in the concentration camps. He's worked there for I believe 14 years. He's never had a raise. Never. He makes a little over half what Matt makes. He goes for a review every 3 months and they tell him what a wonderful job he's doing, he asks for a raise, they tell him they'll put in for one, he gets denied. It's awesome.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 2

I thought "O may say (long) O before two consonants."  :D   I've been to Outerbanks the Outer Banks and either through Corolla or near it and definitely said it like a tourist.  :D

Not usually.

And FTFY. :hat:

Your next OBX language lesson will be the correct pronunciation of the Bodie Island Lighthouse. It is pronounced just like "body," the -ie at the end notwithstanding. To be clear, most tourists say "BOdie" (long O).

You're welcome.

My mother's family has been on the OBX since the very early 1700s. One of my g-grandfathers was the last civilian keeper at the Ocracoke Light; another was an itinerant Methodist preacher.

My claim to fame. :D

• Like 8

Irrelevant question of the day:

Why is the second "o" in "Corolla" pronounced as a long o and not a short o? Phonics and spelling would say short o (a vowel followed by two consonants usually says its short sound). I think about this because my maternal grandfather was born in Corolla, North Carolina, a little bitty town on the Outer Banks, where "Corolla" is pronounced properly (and we can tell who the tourists are by the way they say it, lol).

That is all.

Oh, hope the car works out for you. :hat:

This is not irrelevant. It is educational. And, on a Saturday even.

• Like 1

:seeya:

I survived Thanksgiving.  While cooking (all day), my back was hurting and spasming.  I figured it was due to extended poopaerobics (which have been extended to TWO HOURS now that it is officially winter, and I'm using the utility sled, chipping frozen poop, and hauling water in buckets), but after Nana left I just felt so cold.  Umm, that was the fever.  Spent all night and yesterday in bed. :thumbdown:  I bounce back pretty quickly, but I will hate myself if Nana gets sick. :sad:

Catching up:

No Black Friday.  Ever.

Classic Muppets only.

Toyotas only.

All the leftovers are on the back porch.  Frozen solid.

Baby Jesus wants the medieval thing.

We will have a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  Because our woods, really cheap.

Krissi's DC did not steal, because they had no intent to permanently deprive.  They did, however, use bad judgment and were appropriately chastened.  Yay, Krissi. 

Mary :001_wub:

Tex:  Wear your water wings if you go out!

I think I'm caught up.

Whew!

• Like 7

Does it have any glass in it?  Mine does, and I would not leave it in.  I just take out the turkey at the earliest time it might be done and stick the meat thermometer in the thickest part of the breast, avoiding the bone.  I put it in several places to make sure I have a consistent temperature.  I use turkey bags.

The directions on my turkey said to remove the plastic thing holding the legs.  Also, you have to do that to get at the neck/giblets stuck in the cavity.  And don't forget that they usually stick the giblets up the turkey's butt.  I forgot one year and cooked the giblet bag in the turkey.  No real harm was done, but it grossed me out.

#isaidbutt

Dh accidentally threw out the giblet bag this year. I was looking everywhere for it so I could make the gravy. He sheepishly confessed.

• Like 2

Good morning!!

I survived shopping, but my feet hurt.

And I can't get into my closet.

I plan to do a gift inventory later today, but I think that I'm almost done.

Ooh, gift inventory. I don't do a lot of shopping outside the home because I'm antisocial. But, shopping online is dangerous. I need to do gift inventory. I know more or less how much I've spent, but there were some bills paid in the middle of the spending. Thankfully, I get paid on the first so we won't be completely destitute.

Dh has said he doesn't want me to buy him anything this year. He never said the girls cannot buy him anything. Thus, this year the girls will get him something.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 5

I'm sure there are labor laws that protect workers from this type of treatment. The Cambodian man could probably get an organization that works with the mentally handicap to help him. That sounds like discrimination.

• Like 4

Pumpkin pie-done

Peach pie-in the oven

My turkey was 12 pounds and only took 2 1/2 hours. 

• Like 3

Well, then that begs the question of how a small town on the Outer Banks of North Carolina could have the same name???!!!

There is no answer to that. :D

The car was not named after the town.  It was named after a flower part.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/corolla

The Subaru is  named after the Pleiades. 

• Like 2

The flooding is so sad.

Cambodian man refuses to speak up because he's extremely timid. He's afraid he'll get fired.

Funny Cambodian man story. He was put in the concentration camps at 6, raised on rice, beaten, lost his mother and sister, all that typical concentration camp stuff. When he was 17 he saw a bunch of people walking out of the camp. He doesn't know if they were workers or soldiers out of uniform or what. So he dropped his stuff ran over to them, and walked out with them. 11 years and he just walked out. I don't know what happened after that but he was an American before he turned 18. His first and only words to me were "I don't like you." He's very strange.

• Like 2

Would you people please tell Matt my head's too big in this picture?

On first glance I would say no. And if you hadn't mentioned it, I would say no! but since you did mention it, and I stared at it for a while, I would say, yes, slightly too big. But that could just be the power of suggestion. My mom says I am a follower.

It is a great picture, though!

Eta: booya. And just to be inclusive... Booyah!

And for your Christmas listening enjoyment...

Deck the halls with booya, hooyah!

Falalalala!

This the season to be Booyah!

Falalalala! All alfalfa! (That was my iPad, but I liked it! So I left it!)

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7