Menu

Ignore this thread!

On 12/2/2021 at 9:32 AM, Susan in TN said:

In other news, I have not ordered or even contemplated Christmas (/Epiphany/Lent) cards. Yet.  Might or might not do them.  

I often contemplate sending Christmas cards, and one year I even bought a box, but then didn't send them. They are in storage room somewhere. Which is strange, because I thought they were with all the other Christmas things. I used to send cards way back when...

We have to prepare for Gymnast's two concerts tomorrow. There is a mariachi concert at lunch time. That band is interesting because everyone is brand spanking new with their instruments except for two of the violin players. Gymnast decided to play trumpet, and there is one other new trumpet player. Both guitar players are new, as well as two of the violin players. They will be playing two songs. The second song is the weakest for Gymnast (maybe all of them). She said she doesn't always remember all the notes halfway through. She admitted to making it up as they go, lol! 😅 🤦🏾‍♀️ I told her that if what she is playing sounds good with the rest of the band, then it should be okay; there is such a thing as improv. And the teacher isn't saying anything, either. 🤷🏾‍♀️

The second concert is in the evening - prelude string orchestra. She is playing violin, so knows what she's doing there. It has been an interesting semester.

We have to go to the store to look for black pants for mariachi. Then we're going to the Hallmark store to see if they have these New Mexico Christmas cards I saw online. If not, I'll have to order them. Then back home to do something with my child's mane.

Edit: CONCERT BAND BOOYA!

Edited by Renai
B.O.O.Y.A.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Nobody here will discourage your ignoring, Jean. 🙂

We schooled, DS's laundry is done, I am boostered, and HVAC guy is here to pet the system (with DH's supervision) and make sure we're set for winter. (Kitty is sure that someday we will learn to lock the front door properly.) It's like 70F out after a few weeks of cold.

I don't usually send Christmas cards. And DS is not one to cooperate a ton with a photographer. Figuring out presents is tricky enough for me.

• Like 3

A lot of trees weakened by all the recent storms have been suddenly toppling over.  Our main drag was closed down in all directions yesterday due to a large tree that toppled over onto the road taking power lines with it.  I looked outside right now when I took out the garbage and everyone's trees around here look intact but I didn't go past the outside of my house. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

No, that would be fine.

A new fitbit. A weekend trip. Some clothes that didn't used to belong to dead people. Maybe stitchfix?

I don't recommend Stitchfix. There are some good quality clothes, but many of the sweaters I bought from them started to pill after the first wash. The pants I kept (great fit, the only really good pair I have), have worn down at the thighs (as in, holes). Maybe I'm just finally fat enough that I'm just now realizing this phenomenon, but I expected these pants to last longer than barely a year. Especially for the price. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, KrissiK said:

My siggy is a year off. I used to know how to change it, but I don’t anymore. And honestly, I don’t care. I’m just content to live a lie.

No worries. I can't see it anyway. If I had one, it would be something that doesn't need to be changed on a timeline like, "God fearing, homeschooling, stay at home wife and mom of boys. Prayers always welcome." 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Renai said:

I don't recommend Stitchfix. There are some good quality clothes, but many of the sweaters I bought from them started to pill after the first wash. The pants I kept (great fit, the only really good pair I have), have worn down at the thighs (as in, holes). Maybe I'm just finally fat enough that I'm just now realizing this phenomenon, but I expected these pants to last longer than barely a year. Especially for the price. 

I have heard really good things from people who are very overweight who have had bad luck with other companies, which is why I recommended it and planned to get it. I will look around again before I commit though because of this. I just want to not hate myself in pictures.

• Like 2

I have always bought clothing in person because trying on stuff is necessary with every brand's sizing/fit being totally different. Then Covid hit and dressing rooms closed and we had baby number 3, effectively making it impossible. I ordered a dress on Amazon in desperation this summer because we had a wedding to attend and DH was best man. It was barely here in time and by the grace of God, it fit me perfectly. Maybe I should be online clothes shopping more often?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I have always bought clothing in person because trying on stuff is necessary with every brand's sizing/fit being totally different. Then Covid hit and dressing rooms closed and we had baby number 3, effectively making it impossible. I ordered a dress on Amazon in desperation this summer because we had a wedding to attend and DH was best man. It was barely here in time and by the grace of God, it fit me perfectly. Maybe I should be online clothes shopping more often?

I think was Stitch fix you give them your measurements and preferences. I don't think there's a size issue. Renai, Krissi, help me out here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I have heard really good things from people who are very overweight who have had bad luck with other companies, which is why I recommended it and planned to get it. I will look around again before I commit though because of this. I just want to not hate myself in pictures.

The clothes themselves look nice and fit me well. Some of the material used wasn't always the best though. I still wear the clothes. The one pair of jeans I complained about I found on Amazon as well. They were the same price as Stitchfix ($89), but have recently come down to $53. I think I'm going to buy a couple of pairs.

56 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Amazon has a "try before you buy" as well.

52 minutes ago, Slache said:

I think was Stitch fix you give them your measurements and preferences. I don't think there's a size issue. Renai, Krissi, help me out here.

Yes, but humans are fallible. I liked a lot of the clothes I got, and for Gymnast and Dancer, but they missed the mark completely with my husband. After sending everything back twice, we canceled it for him.

We did a few months (maybe 4) of picking and choosing from different boxes before we finally canceled. It is very overpriced in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Renai said:

The clothes themselves look nice and fit me well. Some of the material used wasn't always the best though. I still wear the clothes. The one pair of jeans I complained about I found on Amazon as well. They were the same price as Stitchfix ($89), but have recently come down to $53. I think I'm going to buy a couple of pairs.

Amazon has a "try before you buy" as well.

Yes, but humans are fallible. I liked a lot of the clothes I got, and for Gymnast and Dancer, but they missed the mark completely with my husband. After sending everything back twice, we canceled it for him.

We did a few months (maybe 4) of picking and choosing from different boxes before we finally canceled. It is very overpriced in my opinion. 

I think I've already asked you this, but there's a fee for the service, right? So you're paying for the service and for overpriced clothing?

Grrr.  I have gone to Lowe's twice for wet-dry vac filter.  The first one that was marked specifically for my brand was way too big.  The second one which was marked "universal" for all brands still doesn't quite fit.  I give up on Lowe's.  I have now ordered it online and I sure hope that it fits because I'm ready to throw a fit. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
forgot an important word
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

My children were absolutely SHOCKED at how long everything took at DMV.   Wait in line to get identification verified, then wait again to go to the window, wait while they enter your information, then wait for it to come in the mail.  Ds wasn't happy to hear he'd get to do it all again shortly when he goes to get a permit.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I am trying to find a "style" of dress that will look good on me and is age appropriate.  So far, I have only had success with skirts.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Grrr.  I have gone to Lowe's twice for wet-dry vac filter.  The first one that was marked specifically for my brand was way too big.  The second one which was marked "universal" for all brands still doesn't quite fit.  I give up on Lowe's.  I have now ordered it online and I sure hope that it fits because I'm ready to throw a fit. 

That's annoying!  Flame thrower! Bazooka! Duct tape!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was toying with asking for a doggie dna kit for Juliet but I think that it would be a waste of money.  I already know that she's a Rottie and I'm quite sure of the German shepherd part too.  I mean, I suppose that I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  And I'm not sure the extra money for the genetic health kit would be really helpful.  We don't have enough money to waste.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I was toying with asking for a doggie dna kit for Juliet but I think that it would be a waste of money.  I already know that she's a Rottie and I'm quite sure of the German shepherd part too.  I mean, I suppose that I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  And I'm not sure the extra money for the genetic health kit would be really helpful.  We don't have enough money to waste.

I hear really bad things about those. Like people getting their papered purebred Labrador done and it comes back as 1/2 Chihuahua and a half Great Dane.

• Like 3

Morning, Happy Saturday.

I slept pretty well last night on our new mattress.  It's probably not fully unfolded so we still have our foam egg carton thingy on top, but it did feel more comfortable.  Woke up with no back pain and was able to sleep on both sides.

Only thing keeping me awake was the dog evidently hurt his paw and couldn't jump on the bed so sat whining until I got up and lifted him on.   He has allergies so his paws sometimes itch from the grass, then he licks them so they get sore.   I gave him Benedryl (his usual) to see if it helps. 

• Like 5

I was reading the thread about companies not able to find workers.  I'm definitely having that problem.  I need to hire at least 1, maybe 2 employees.  I pay decent and the job has lots of benefits - can sit to teach if you need to, bring your own kids, pick your hours and days, run your classes how you want.  But I don't know how to word those intangibles (except the bring your kid thing, that's easy) in an ad that makes sense and still seems professional. 

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D (COFFEE!!!~D is not great this morning. The AFSA was completely out of half-and-half last night. Completely!! And I asked the boy to go back and check and he had no idea what half-and-half was. Svengo. The state of the world these days! So, I had to get the fake non dairy stuff and it tastes like carp)

Saturday!!!

Housework!! We are finishing putting up Christmas decorations today. What doesn’t get done, just won’t get done. I am sick of all these boxes laying around.

Regarding Stitchfix, I still get boxes quarterly. Last Fix got sent back. Most of the time I like them. I love the jeans they send. The tops are hit or miss. I have put on some weight, so I am going to have to adjust the sizing. And I live their Freestyle feature. They show you clothes you may like and you can just order them. I’ve done that quite a bit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I was reading the thread about companies not able to find workers.  I'm definitely having that problem.  I need to hire at least 1, maybe 2 employees.  I pay decent and the job has lots of benefits - can sit to teach if you need to, bring your own kids, pick your hours and days, run your classes how you want.  But I don't know how to word those intangibles (except the bring your kid thing, that's easy) in an ad that makes sense and still seems professional. 

Honestly, Toto, I would apply at your place in a heartbeat. It sounds like something I would love to do. However, I think the commute from California would be a bit much.🤪

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

People get new clothes every three months?  I have clothes that go back to the Clinton administration! 

I will see your Clinton clothes and raise you a coat that I bought during George W. Bush’s presidency. And still wear. Occasionally. It doesn’t fit too well, but I still have it. And wear it. Occasionally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I can beat all of y'all.  Mid '80s, baby.  The Reagan Years.

One of my favorite skirts belonged to my sister when she was in 4th grade.  It's a long, full skirt and I don't know what my mom was thinking when she bought it for her, but it ended up in my closet and I still wear it fairly often.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Honestly, Toto, I would apply at your place in a heartbeat. It sounds like something I would love to do. However, I think the commute from California would be a bit much.🤪

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would love teaching for you too, Toto.  But I have the same commute problem as Krissi. 

Y'all are just going to have to move to Northern New Jersey.  

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

People get new clothes every three months?  I have clothes that go back to the Clinton administration! 

I'm pretty sure I have shoes going back to the 80's.

Dh has concert tshirts from when he was a merchandiser in the 70's.  Original Led Zeppelin, The Who, Genesis, Jethro Tull, etc tshirts.  Of course, they don't fit anyone except the younger kids and they have no interest.  Older dd used to wear them to high school occasionally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've thought about trying Stitch Fix but haven't ever pulled the trigger.  I tend to buy individual pieces when I need something.  I wear yoga pants and science themed tshirts everyday to work so I don't need much of a wardrobe.  

I usually order from Amazon or Target since both are easy to return.   I've been buying yoga pants/leggings with the side pockets lately because its great to not be leaving my cell phone all over the place every day.  I recently bought from Target and in a size smaller than I usually get because they didn't have my usual size, and they are HUGE.  I wish I could say it was because I lost weight but I'm sure it's just that Target's brand is more generously cut than the Amazon brand I was getting.

• Like 3

Good afternoon!  

It's been a busy day - Big Scout Breakfast this morning, then dd18 to work and dd15 to a summer job interview which was an hour away.  

Today is dd19's birthday, so we are going to the giant used bookstore and then out to dinner.  Her friend from school picked her up from work and made her get a library card, lol.  She works AT the library.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1