Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Toto- do you have cameras? If you have spare $$ you might look at some Arlo’s and point that neighbor’s way. They aren’t the best cameras on earth but they are good enough for most things for the price and you don’t have to run wiring through your house. I would be concerned what is going on there. If they’re doing construction people might be coming to steal the supplies. 

We put in a ring doorbell a few weeks ago but it faces out at the street so nowhere near their house.   We did look yesterday to see if it caught a car or anyone walking around the time of the incident yesterday.  They knew when because the robbers set off the alarms at a specific time.  

They must be getting them on camera but it must not be helping.  Maybe they are wearing something so they can't be identified.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am not yet ketchupped, but I vote Geometry.  

Also, Paradox, I don't know if it helps any to hear a surgery success story?  I know a swimmer who had the surgery, was told she would be out of swim a year, was able to restart swim about 6 months later (but without dives or flipturns) and was back 100% (no restrictions) by 9 months.  Maybe investigate the surgery option further?    

It's a Mustard Booyah!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Junie said:

(((Toto)))

The fact that your neighbors put in a fence so quickly leads me to believe that they expected trouble.

Do you know your neighbors' names so you can google?  Maybe they have a history...

Dh said something like that.   I could probably get their names off public record.    Although I'm sure the cops have thought of that right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dh said something like that.   I could probably get their names off public record.    Although I'm sure the cops have thought of that right?

Probably the police know and aren't allowed to tell you anything.  I'm wondering if the homeowners are complicit in some way or possibly guilty of other crimes. 😞  They may not be innocent.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mms said:

I would not see a fence as a sign of anything. I think it was Joel Salatin who pointed out that suburban developers pushed for no fences to give the illusion of a big front yard. Since these are not Americans chances are good that they just like fences.

The entire town where I have the science center doesn't allow fences unless they are historic.    Lots of people have fences around here because lots of people have dogs.  Stockade wood, chainlink, all kinds.  I think what we found strange was the 8 foot high chain link with a padlocked and chained gate.   Especially weird when all the other fences are only 4 foot and you can walk up from the river. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I am not ketchupped, but I did clean some of the house and straightened my desk. This means I'll be mad for three days because I can't find anything that isn't in plain sight, but it looks nice for now. Hydrating and getting ready to read my revision and see just what kind of a Frankendraft I've created.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

.Looking at possibly getting a new diaper bag. Anyone try Skip Hop Signature Duo (messenger style)? I haven't seen one IRL (only online), but it looks similar in size to my Vera Bradley. I don't like anything too bulky/heavy but still need plenty of room inside.

I've had multiple and I've never loved any as much as my jujubee. I have 2.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

A company installing fiber in the neighborhood knocked out another company's existing fiber to our house. *le sigh* Crummy timing as we're about to get a hurricane tonight, guys.

We're getting the outer bands here.  Power flickered a little while ago.  I purposely didn't go shopping to fill my new fridge just.in.case.  Previous experience in this house tells me that power outage is a real possibility.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I picked up some pots at my friends’ house. She was getting rid of them. Then I got a prescription at the Afsa. Now I am hiding out in my room because the kids are asking Alexa to fart and I just can’t take it anymore.

Stay safe from the hurricane. Yesterday at church our pastor was telling us how he grew up in South Florida and rode out Hurricane Andrew. That is not something I would like to do.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Stay Safe Junie and Whitehawk!! 

I managed to stay off my computer and get through some school books for a couple of hours! Baby steps! I think I finally found some readers that may work for youngest. She is so excited to read and it's so hard the order Barton teaches in.....anyway, I got her one of the My First Little house books someone mentioned somewhere on this board. So that was promising. 

I have no idea what I'm doing for dinner. My kids are still at my parents and my Mom said they were going to "play it by ear" what time they bring them home, or hey maybe tomorrow. I'm not going to argue with that either way, LOL. We'll see what dh wants to do I guess. 

I am hoping I can limit my internet time to one hour a day. Does that sound absurdly optimistic? (Not counting Kindle, Audible, or Podcast). 

I find skipping the internet for Lent very beneficial. I don't do it for religious reasons. Every year I don't do it I regret it.

• Like 2

So evidently they caught the guy.  And it was someone living with the neighbor across the street from them.    I'm not sure if it is the neighbors adult son or not.  I thought that was who was living with her but I could be wrong.   Part of what seemed so weird was the thieves seemed to have a lot of information about the cameras and when everyone was coming and going.  Plus being such a off the trail neighborhood, it was weird.   But I guess it being a neighbor explains it.  

Also found out another neighbor's girls broke into the house another time.  Evidently didn't steal anything, were just looking around.  Their Mom dismissed it as "just being kids" but these girls were 16 and 19 years old, so I think they're a little old for the "just kids" defense.    

My nice, quiet neighborhood evidently isn't so nice and quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

We had pizza.

I'm tired. I made eleventy thousand phone calls, picked up boxes from the grocery store, supervised kid school, did some planning-for-next-year work, and washed & dried the laundry. It's now sitting in a bucket, and it seems very happy there.

So this other thing happened today, too. Remember how Dave used to be a couple of years ago? He learned it from his dad. The entire family just has such a toxic way to deal with issues. For the most part, I leave Dave to deal with Dave's parents, but a thing happened last time he was in town (he lives in TN) that wound up in a very nasty confrontation between us. I told Dave I wasn't okay with him around the kids anymore if he was going to think his behavior was acceptable. Now, in all fairness, I didn't start the altercation but I admit I was so angry at one point that I was rude and disrespectful. I felt very provoked, but that's really beside the point. In the interest of peace, I sent a text apologizing for my rudeness and how I contributes to the escalation. I received no response. I haven't talked to him, either, but he's talked with Dave a few times in the months since, and he's sent gifts to the kids. Dave's stance has been that it's between his dad and me and he supports whatever I decide, so there's no leaving this to him because it's his dad.

Okay, all of that was to say this: my FIL called me today, for seemingly no reason, and mentioned that he's planning a trip up here. I thought a long time and prayed and talked with Dave, and then I sent a text message. I apologized for my inappropriate actions, and I also pointed out where I felt I was owed an apology (especially the part where he told me he could treat me however he wanted but I'm to have respect for him because of pecking order) and where my kids were owed an apology for his behavior and words. I told him I hoped we could make peace. I asked him to handle it through text messages, because a live phone call just wouldn't be a good idea. The first thong he did was call, which I didn't answer, and then he sent me a text basically telling me an exaggerated version of my disrespect. I didn't even argue it for accuracy, I simply said I had acknowledged and apologized for my inappropriate actions and I was asking him to do the same. I don't think he will.

Do you think I should stand my ground that if he's going to treat me with blatant disrespect, he is not welcome to come see the kids? Or would you let him have a relationship with the kids and just let it go? I'm just starting to figure out boundaries in a healthy way, and I'm not sure what's too much or out of line.

(((BookwormMom)))

You don't have to answer, but some things to consider:

How old is he?  If he's 65 that's a whole different thing than if he's 95.  (If he's 95 I would make it work.)

How far away does he live?  And how easily can he travel?

Do the kids enjoy being with him?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

The kids get excited to see him, but don't enjoy his actual visits because he isn't very nice to them. Nothing I've been able to call him on, because of the eggshell walking we do, bit he'll do things like tickle when they asked him not to, or keep teasing after they made it clear they want him to stop. Control things, like they can't tell him no. And then he ignores them, claiming he can't hear them.

IMO this rings All the Alarm Bells for teaching children to submit to things they don't consent to, and I would expect my spouse to stand with me on not allowing anybody to do that. Not stopping it sends kids a message: my parents are not going to stop an adult who is doing things I don't like to me. I would absolutely call any adult on that and risk a confrontation, and I want my kid to be clear that I would.

• Like 3

"When you say no and someone says they don't accept that, you tell them they don't have the option. No means no. No is a complete sentence. They don't have the right to disrespect your no. If they do, they are excusing themselves from participation in your family. It's a matter of safety for your kids. They need to know how to do it, so you have to learn."

-Bookie

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I don't mind answering. He's 66. He lives in Tennessee (we live in Michigan), and he's only up maybe 2 or 3 times a year. To be honest, his visits always stress me out. The whole family does the "ignore it and it will go away" approach to conflict resolution, which doesn't work. And it's compounded by the "well, he's not around much, it's not worth saying anything because he'll be gone soon," whenever he does something inappropriate, disrespectful, or offensive. The kids get excited to see him, but don't enjoy his actual visits because he isn't very nice to them. Nothing I've been able to call him on, because of the eggshell walking we do, bit he'll do things like tickle when they asked him not to, or keep teasing after they made it clear they want him to stop. Control things, like they can't tell him no. And then he ignores them, claiming he can't hear them. 

I've been wanting to call him on his crap for a long, long time. I haven't in deference to my hisband's wish for peace with his father, but I have a hard time with the man. Is that enough to keep a grandparent from my children, though?

This is so hard.  If he's 66 he could be gone tomorrow, or he could live for another 30 years.  You need to make a decision that you can potentially live with for a very long time.

I'm sorry.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

EdPo: Avert yer eyeballs!

Ds15 (starting 10th grade) has finished algebra 1.  Should he do algebra 2 or geometry next?  He wants to do geometry. I don’t care either way. 

As you were. 

I vote Geometry because that’s what I did in school and I want to continue to believe it was the right way.

My second vote is both at the same time.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mms said:

Wait, isn’t there a no doxing ITT rule somewhere?

Well, the Elephant Ninja Brigade does have special rights and privileges when it comes to the defense of our fellow ITT'ers.  Perhaps I should have suggested one of the more standard weapons - Bazooka, flame-throwing, Laser Glare of Certain Impending Death, or duct tape.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

It's going to be okay. I talked with Dave. He says he understands and he supports my decisions, that I've done all I can and it's on his dad now. I appreciate the sentiment a lot, and I know it's a big thing for him to say so much. I guess we'll see what happens when FIL actually comes to visit. He might not, after today. And if he does, I'm going to say we're not available (the kids and me) and Dave can see him on his own if he wants. *Shrug* It's a problem for another day.

Tonight's installment of MCU is Guardians of the Galaxy 2. 

I love baby Groot.

I love Baby Groot, too. And that’s the best beginning of a movie ever,

• Like 3

Coffee. That is all. 

I vote for a Dave only visit if FIL comes.  And if the conversation gets re-hashed again, stop apologizing. You’ve already done enough. And 🏆 for you for standing up for yourself and your kids. 

$100 - maybe shoes and a purse - those seem like unnecessary splurges, so that would be fun.  Or how much are laminators?  Can you believe I’ve never owned one?  It’s probably too late for me now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I was exhausted by 8:00 last night, forced myself to stay awake until 9:45, and then still couldn't get to sleep.  I finally slept around midnight or 1.

I woke up at 6 feeling pretty good.  I think the rain woke me up.  It is raining hard, but not much wind (yet?).

• Like 2

Morning. It's another Monday, I'm sure of it. Got too much to do and to little time to do it, but do it anyway. 

The biggest pumpkin had to leave the garden last night. It's impressive. I'd hope it would hold until later this month, but the vine wasn't doing well.

20200803_184656.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mms said:

But, then I’d feel guilty about wearing out such nice, expensive things and they would just sit there waiting for a special occasion that wouldn’t happen and then I’d feel guilty that I spent money on them when they get no use and I could have just gotten books.

Oh wow. And I thought I was the only one who did that.🤣

I stopped Doing that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Oh wow. And I thought I was the only one who did that.🤣

I stopped Doing that.

When we were getting ready to go to England I had some new clothes "saved up" for the trip.  By the time the trip was cancelled, it was too warm out to wear them!  I have them for fall, though! (Or whenever the trip is rescheduled)

• Like 1

Good morning!

So tired this morning, but not as tired as The Milk Dispensers!  Dh took the 6am puppy shift so I got a couple extra minutes of sleep.  As I should have expected, puppy has his days and nights mixed up.

I need to go get some labs done this morning, then bank, library return and pick-up, and camping grocery shopping.  The Four Youngers and I have the dentist this afternoon.

Coffee!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Lol, yes, this is the kind of thing I do. I would like to just spend it on something fun, though, but I am already convincing myself to spend it on something I need. But my bookshelves are like two deep in books and there’s no room for more shelves so I really gotta stop

I hear you sister. Amazon keeps sending me books (that I ordered, insert slinking away person) and I am really bogged down in a couple of very good books, but ones that actually require thought to read, and the books keep piling up. And I got a new delightful one yesterday. But I need to finish this biography of Calvin Coolidge before I pick up anything new. And it is a very interesting time in our history, and the author is a good and very respected writer, but... I don’t know....Anti-trust Laws and the coal miners strikes just don’t inspire me at this point. (He still hasn’t become President yet, where I am in the book, Roosevelt is still President).

• Like 2