Menu

Ignore this thread!

11 hours ago, Slache said:

Will take thoughts and opinions:

I'm totally annoyed for you that you had to "justify" what you were asking for so many times.  🙄  Singapore used to have a challenging word problems series by level, but I think it's more oriented towards learning bar diagrams for problem solving than the kind of problem you're talking about.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Having MFW was the only reason any kind of school got done while I was pregnant. I really liked the way I didn't have to think it all out, so I could just open and go. 

That said, ymmv. I feel like we still sucked at ECC, and since Reader will be 9th grade when we come around to it again, I'm going to be looking for a Morning Basket style geography to use over the next 4 years so she still has more of a knowledge of the world than I've given her this year.

SOTW and Apologia are open and go if you do them as poorly as we do. I always order the entire book basket at the beginning of the term and keep it in my closet, print the term's workbook pages at the beginning and we don't do apologia's experiments don'tlectureme! So, 2 hours at the beginning of the term, maybe 30 minutes of school per day for those two subjects.

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I'm totally annoyed for you that you had to "justify" what you were asking for so many times.  🙄  Singapore used to have a challenging word problems series by level, but I think it's more oriented towards learning bar diagrams for problem solving than the kind of problem you're talking about.  

I'm getting Mind Benders. One of two things is happening. It could be a learning disability or it could just be me over analyzing the situation. If it's a problem then this should help and strengthen, if it's not then he'll do 5 minutes of games a few days a week for no reason. There's a store by church that has a bunch of CTC stuff so I can look at it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

SOTW and Apologia are open and go if you do them as poorly as we do. I always order the entire book basket at the beginning of the term and keep it in my closet, print the term's workbook pages at the beginning and we don't do apologia's experiments don'tlectureme! So, 2 hours at the beginning of the term, maybe 30 minutes of school per day for those two subjects.

I'm getting Mind Benders. One of two things is happening. It could be a learning disability or it could just be me over analyzing the situation. If it's a problem then this should help and strengthen, if it's not then he'll do 5 minutes of games a few days a week for no reason. There's a store by church that has a bunch of CTC stuff so I can look at it.

Sounds good to me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

We got a hold of dd's traveling companion who told us they are now in Toronto so they will be home by lunchtime!  Other than that, I have to bring olders to tutorial and dh has a followup with the surgeon and from there to the airport.  I am hoping to put together some Thai peanut chicken for dinner and freezer meals at some point.  Road trip to cello lesson this afternoon.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Friday Eve!!

School and work. 
I am exhausted. I slept horrible. This job has me so stressed out. I woke up from a bad dream and my mind was racing with all the things I have to do today, including two meetings with families that I am absolutely dreading. I think I laid in bed for an hour trying to control My thoughts and just put everything aside and fall back asleep. Didn’t work very well.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

24 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

This is the first time any of us have read it - the kids all beg for more at the end of the chapters! 

Yeah, it’s that kind of book. I’ve read it as read aloud when I taught school, I’ve done it as a book club book. It’s great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Ha! I'm the last person to lecture *anyone* about implementing curriculum! I count it a miracle mine can read, lol.

I hope mind benders works well for you guys. Are you planning to get John evaluated?

I want to, Matt's opposed. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I’m going to say it: what is it with some men being opposed to testing their firstborn sons? It isn’t the same with daughters. I think it’s a male ego thing. Totally ridiculous.

ADDING: my brother was like that for years and his kid was autistic! Took my parents, his wife, and several others to talk sense into him.

"I don't want a label put on him." 🙄

I think that part of it is because I say that he's autistic and he chooses to deny that. His dad is autistic. Everyone knows that. It is painfully obvious. When John started struggling a few years back I noticed he had the symptoms of autism and then realized I have the same struggles with him that I do with my husband. Then I found out about how so many people in our generation were misdiagnosed as ADD when they were actually autistic. They both have enough symptoms to qualify for a diagnosis.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I totally understand this. I have the same struggles with Runner as I do with Dave, and the same resistance to figuring it out. "There's nothing wrong with him!" Well, no, but there is something different, and I would like to know what it is, exactly, so I can help him better. Sigh.

I keep thinking about posting on the LD board but I'm tired of people.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Slache said:

"I don't want a label put on him." 🙄

I think that part of it is because I say that he's autistic and he chooses to deny that. His dad is autistic. Everyone knows that. It is painfully obvious. When John started struggling a few years back I noticed he had the symptoms of autism and then realized I have the same struggles with him that I do with my husband. Then I found out about how so many people in our generation were misdiagnosed as ADD when they were actually autistic. They both have enough symptoms to qualify for a diagnosis.

I knew that ds had Aspergers from when he was pretty young (5, 6ish).  But he was also obviously very gifted from very young and that has it's own set of characteristics - many which overlap.  But I am a special ed. teacher and I just taught him as if I knew that he had Aspergers - mainly in the form of teaching him to identify feelings, to work on social skills and social modeling etc.  I also worked on transitions and as much as I could on rigidity of thinking.  (The rigid thinking is really hard to "treat" though he's gotten better with age to some degree.)  He also has fairly severe ADHD so I worked a lot on executive function skills and scaffolding.  So FOR ME the evaluations weren't important until he reached 16, when I needed them for college accommodations.  (Evals are only accepted for college if they are done within four years - I think.  Or it might be three years.)  He didn't need accommodations in homeschool because our whole life was an accommodation.

I knew with dd that she had learning difficulties from the time she was about 7.  I waited for evals for her until 16 as well.  I was a bit surprised by the ADHD label since she's my events planner and is super good at executive function but she does have trouble focusing.  I actually think that the evals are wrong for her and they never were able to explain some weird things she has going on in reading even though it showed up in the tests just as it showed up in real life.  But she has the ability to have college accommodations if she wants/ needs and that is the main thing FOR ME. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I knew that ds had Aspergers from when he was pretty young (5, 6ish).  But he was also obviously very gifted from very young and that has it's own set of characteristics - many which overlap.  But I am a special ed. teacher and I just taught him as if I knew that he had Aspergers - mainly in the form of teaching him to identify feelings, to work on social skills and social modeling etc.  I also worked on transitions and as much as I could on rigidity of thinking.  (The rigid thinking is really hard to "treat" though he's gotten better with age to some degree.)  He also has fairly severe ADHD so I worked a lot on executive function skills and scaffolding.  So FOR ME the evaluations weren't important until he reached 16, when I needed them for college accommodations.  (Evals are only accepted for college if they are done within four years - I think.  Or it might be three years.)  He didn't need accommodations in homeschool because our whole life was an accommodation.

I knew with dd that she had learning difficulties from the time she was about 7.  I waited for evals for her until 16 as well.  I was a bit surprised by the ADHD label since she's my events planner and is super good at executive function but she does have trouble focusing.  I actually think that the evals are wrong for her and they never were able to explain some weird things she has going on in reading even though it showed up in the tests just as it showed up in real life.  But she has the ability to have college accommodations if she wants/ needs and that is the main thing FOR ME. 

Yeah, see, I don't have any of these strengths. I think it's time I look for help. It doesn't have to be a diagnosis, I just need to learn some things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

I’m going to say it: what is it with some men being opposed to testing their firstborn sons? It isn’t the same with daughters. I think it’s a male ego thing. Totally ridiculous.

ADDING: my brother was like that for years and his kid was autistic! Took my parents, his wife, and several others to talk sense into him.

Dh was in denial about ds for a long time but he seems to accept it now.  Every single medical professional that the kid has ever seen in 14 years picks up on it right away (dentist, optometrist, pediatrician).   Dh still hates it when I mention it to anyone.   Which I only do to medical professionals or teaching situations where the person needs to know what they are dealing with.   Dh has more of a problem mentioning it than ds does.  

My brother was diagnosed severe adhd and "minimal brain damage".   He is textbook autistic.   Ds has a lot of similar characteristics but to a lesser degree.   I feel like ds is what my brother would have been like if he hadn't gone to public school to be bullied by kids and teachers his whole life.   

ETA:  Dh has some traits but more just socially awkward introvert.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

I got Bookshark 2 for free the other day.

I no longer know what to do with Gymnast. I didn't realize she was going into 4th grade until Slash mentioned John going. We haven't completed single curriculum since kindergarten. (Well, except math. And getting some reading in.) 

I'm so neglectful. ☹

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Give me a couple hours to drive?

Ok. Please bring Hey Andrew 3 from the bookstore.

34 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Maybe doing a lower level would make whatever you use loved?

If he is workbooky, use workbook fill in the blank types 

I can't find anything decent on the lower level. He does workbook stuff by himself, I'm looking for something for us to do together but at his level.

16 minutes ago, Renai said:

I got Bookshark 2 for free the other day.

I no longer know what to do with Gymnast. I didn't realize she was going into 4th grade until Slash mentioned John going. We haven't completed single curriculum since kindergarten. (Well, except math. And getting some reading in.) 

I'm so neglectful. ☹

No, you're not. She learns so much with you!

6 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Curriculum completed does not an education make.

Preach!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Curriculum completed does not an education make.

Right, but I realize I haven't done much of anything. At this age, her older sister was doing a lot more, and had more severe dyslexia than this one does. I just have been so focused on other things that I didn't notice how much was NOT getting done. I mean, she'll be fine, but, there is a lot I wanted done by now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Ok. Middle school Bible. We tried MacArthur and he was unloved. I was thinking The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study.

Say things.

We have used Bob Jones Bible curriculum the whole way through.  I was introduced to it when I taught in a Christian school.  I liked it well enough and I never really saw a need to change.  So.many.workbooks. At least 7th grade and up re-uses workbooks -- students write answers in notebooks instead of doing puzzles/answering questions in the book.

It's probably not what you want, but you said to say things, so I did.

• Like 2

I have one semester left with dd17.  We are going through her gradebook and seeing what gaps need to be filled.  She's a little behind in math, but mostly she's fine.  She is working through chemistry and still has some writing assignments to complete.  Other than that, I think she's finished!

Dd15 is on schedule to finish high school two years after dd17.  And I need to start planning dd13's high school classes.  It's mostly going to be the same as what her older siblings did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dh had to go into NYC today.   His company just got listed on the Nasdaq and they are part of the opening bell ceremony.  

🎉🎉

5 hours ago, Spudater said:

I opted for second sleepover brownies. 

but theday is young and I’m not making any promises.

So.much.wisdom.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

I keep thinking about posting on the LD board but I'm tired of people.

So.much.wisdom.

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd21 is home!

Woo-hoo!!!!  🎉❤️🎉

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Ok. Middle school Bible. We tried MacArthur and he was unloved. I was thinking The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study.

Say things.

I don't know.  Do you want academic approach?  Devotional and life application approach?  Basic review and literacy approach?  I'm pretty much a failure here because I don't like for Bible to feel school-y.

• Like 2

What has happened is that I had to start working more because dh's work lessened, and at one point he was out completely due to his back. Gymnast and I started out well getting up in the morning before homeschool classroom time (at the ps, 9:45am), getting a math lesson in (she'd take the workbook page to finish at the school during math time), reading in English, violin practice.

Then daylight savings time happened, I was getting up earlier, was tired, so was laying back down after done with work. And slept later. Which meant getting less done in the morning. I was happy with a math lesson, so she'd have independent work at school. But then even that wasn't getting done (they'd "run out of time."). Math started getting further behind. Everything is behind where it should be. And I say should be because I know what she is capable of, and what she isn't getting from me.

I just had an epiphany. This exact same thing happened with Dancer in this same age/grade and time of year. Except then. I actually WAS working with Dancer. The ball has been completely dropped with Gymnast.

She'd be in school if she didn't have anxiety. I also put Dancer in school during said time, but pulled her out after a month because I realized I was doing more at home even though I was working. Gymnast, not so much...

• Like 5

We do Bible over breakfast. This is when we read strait scripture.

We do devotions at night. This where we cover concepts.

He does a workbook on his own to begin solo Bible habits.

I need all 3.

17 minutes ago, Junie said:

We have used Bob Jones Bible curriculum the whole way through.  I was introduced to it when I taught in a Christian school.  I liked it well enough and I never really saw a need to change.  So.many.workbooks. At least 7th grade and up re-uses workbooks -- students write answers in notebooks instead of doing puzzles/answering questions in the book.

It's probably not what you want, but you said to say things, so I did.

My girlfriend just told me this. :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I don't know.  Do you want academic approach?  Devotional and life application approach?  Basic review and literacy approach?  I'm pretty much a failure here because I don't like for Bible to feel school-y.

Yes. :biggrin:

• Like 2

I have another issue (introspection going on here...), things are SO cluttered. Everything is cluttered. EVERYWHERE. I can't put two thoughts together. That's why I'm pretty much sucking at everything in life - business, work, family, homeschool. I mean, good things are happening, but better things await. I want to dump everything. Even books. EVERYTHING. I can't think and very little is getting done.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2