Menu

Ignore this thread!

14 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Ugh, that stinks Renai.    I'd have to move, wouldn't be able to take it with my asthma.   I grew up with a mother who smoked and I just can't stand to be around it.

At my mammo appointment today, she offered a device that had a plus sign and a minus sign on it.  The idea is that you can hit the minus sign if things were getting too uncomfortable, or the plus sign if you were okay with continuing.  My comment was just "can't you just say Ouch?", although I understand some people may be reluctant to say anything.  I declined to use the little device.

So if you don't like to say anything in those situations, would you be more likely to use a device like that?  Or do you think it's ridiculous when you are in a room alone with someone and can just say something to use a device?

I think it's ridiculous. I'd just say OUCH.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Ugh, that stinks Renai.    I'd have to move, wouldn't be able to take it with my asthma.   I grew up with a mother who smoked and I just can't stand to be around it.

At my mammo appointment today, she offered a device that had a plus sign and a minus sign on it.  The idea is that you can hit the minus sign if things were getting too uncomfortable, or the plus sign if you were okay with continuing.  My comment was just "can't you just say Ouch?", although I understand some people may be reluctant to say anything.  I declined to use the little device.

So if you don't like to say anything in those situations, would you be more likely to use a device like that?  Or do you think it's ridiculous when you are in a room alone with someone and can just say something to use a device?

Does hitting the button actually do anything?  Does it release the pressure on the machine by a small amount?  If not, i wouldn't use it.  And I wouldn't say "ouch" either.  I would just endure.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

My dad used to smoke and it was bad. I have smoke-induced asthma. I'm glad he stopped. We don't have an option to move. We can't afford it. We barely make the rent here and it's the cheapest available. 

I mentioned something to the corner neighbor who helps fix things. I told him I think there is a hole in the kitchen sink area. When he asked why, I let him know about all the smoke, asthma attacks and headaches. He said he'll investigate and plug with expanding foam.

I'm also a verbal person. I think my dentist used something like that but I just wind up squeaking or something. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

My dad used to smoke and it was bad. I have smoke-induced asthma. I'm glad he stopped. We don't have an option to move. We can't afford it. We barely make the rent here and it's the cheapest available. 

I mentioned something to the corner neighbor who helps fix things. I told him I think there is a hole in the kitchen sink area. When he asked why, I let him know about all the smoke, asthma attacks and headaches. He said he'll investigate and plug with expanding foam.

I'm also a verbal person. I think my dentist used something like that but I just wind up squeaking or something. 

I hope the neighbor is able to do something to help the situation.

At the dentist, I could almost understand it since it can be hard to say anything with someone's hands in your mouth.

I don't think the device actually loosened anything up, I think it just sent a signal but I'm not 100% positive about that.   The technician seemed to agree that it was ridiculous but said they had just had a meeting the day before and told her she needed to start offering it to everyone.

• Like 5

Just checkin’ In to say, the meeting went absolutely fine. Didn’t spill COFFEE, very nice family, all is well.

and Happy Nirthday, Ellie!!🎂🎂🎉🎉🎉

Niw, off to get DD’s allergy shots and beg some tomatoes off my mom.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I don’t suppose someone could buy him a juul or something?  It’s not covered as a medical device, I suppose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I don’t suppose someone could buy him a juul or something?  It’s not covered as a medical device, I suppose. 

E-cigarettes can still cause lung cancer.  And they may contain more nicotine than regular cigarettes.  The second hand smoke (or vapor in this case) is not known to be as hazardous as a regular cigarette but it can still be bad for asthmatics.  There is still a lot unknown about the long term effects of e-cigarettes but they are not benign. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I say things...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Junie said:

Does hitting the button actually do anything?  Does it release the pressure on the machine by a small amount?  If not, i wouldn't use it.  And I wouldn't say "ouch" either.  I would just endure.

At my last mammogram, I told her to do whatever she needed to take a good picture, including pressing as hard as she needed.  I did this because my insurance (maybe all?) cover a preventative mammogram 100% but if you get called back to retake pictures, it is labeled "diagnostic" and all of a sudden I have to pay a lot more than I want to even after insurance pays their portion.  I wasn't called back for retakes for the first time in many mammograms after I said that. 

• Like 4

Jean, I think I gave you the wrong name for a product for Juliet's ears. The correct product is ZYMOX. I highly recommend it for a dog prone to ear infections. Vets tend to simply prescribe antibiotics and hydrocortisone which, over time, can damage the dog's hearing (I learned this the hard way.) Zymox is an enzymatic med which is both HIGHLY effective at treating ear infections and is safe for more frequent use. Some vets sell it now, too. But Amazon is cheaper.

(I think I gave you the name of a human anti-inflammatory supplement that also starts with Z. Because I'm a stupidhead. Sorry!)

Link to the company:  https://www.zymox.com/

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

It's not just him (unless it's early in the morning). The other neighbor that helps him smokes, the neighbor's brother who visits smokes,  and others when they visit. I don't understand why all this secondhand smoke is going around when they all know he has LUNG CANCER, for crying out loud! Besides that, he had a tumor in his back growing into one of his lungs, and found another tumor in his head. That probably has nothing to do with cigarettes, but the inconsideration all the way around is getting to me.

Edited by Renai
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

It's not just him (unless it's early in the morning). The other neighbor that helps him smokes, the neighbor's brother who visits smokes,  and others when they visit. I don't understand why all this secondhand smoke is going around when they all know he has LUNG CANCER, for crying out loud! Besides that, he had a tumor in his bad growing into one of his lungs, and found another tumor in his head. That probably has nothing to do with cigarettes, but the inconsideration all the way around is getting to me.

Unfortunately, the addiction can just be so strong.  I have taken care of elderly people who were puffing away on cigarettes WHILE ON OXYGEN!  😲

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Jean, I think I gave you the wrong name for a product for Juliet's ears. The correct product is ZYMOX. I highly recommend it for a dog prone to ear infections. Vets tend to simply prescribe antibiotics and hydrocortisone which, over time, can damage the dog's hearing (I learned this the hard way.) Zymox is an enzymatic med which is both HIGHLY effective at treating ear infections and is safe for more frequent use. Some vets sell it now, too. But Amazon is cheaper.

(I think I gave you the name of a human anti-inflammatory supplement that also starts with Z. Because I'm a stupidhead. Sorry!)

Link to the company:  https://www.zymox.com/

Thanks.  We're using a product that is similar but also antibiotic drops.  The vet is checking in daily and wants a recheck soon to make sure that it is working.  He does not want us to get into the chronic ear infection territory. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Unfortunately, the addiction can just be so strong.  I have taken care of elderly people who were puffing away on cigarettes WHILE ON OXYGEN!  😲

Sigh. Yeah, I've seen this too.

I think what is really making me irritable about the situation isn't even the fact that I'm getting physically ill. It's the heat! It's in the 90's, and I can't turn on our portable a/c because then I'd have to close all the windows. If I close all the windows, then the smoke stays in the house. It's making me grumpy...

• Sad 4

Watching kitten videos because I can’t get past the first paragraph of a recommendation letter I agreed to write.😩 I do recommend this person highly, but.... I’m finding myself extremely inarticulate at this point.  But, I do need some kittens. Like five of them.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Renai said:

I feel as though I've vented all day about smoke in my place. I'm done now.

I'll be leaving soon to coach soccer practice. I really don't feel like it, but we'll get through it...

Enjoy the fresh air.

• Like 4

Ugh.  I am finally done with those stupid songs.  Not arrangements, sadly, because though I was promised lead sheets, allI got were lyric sheets with chords and an indication of which fret the capo would go on, and youtube links to the songs, most of which are stupid.  Sorry, but I don't have 40 spare hours between today and tomorrow, nor a $5000 check for the trouble.  I managed to reformat the lyrics into something recognizable and transposed the chords into the capo'ed keys.  

I had sugar free ice cream for dinner.  :smile:  To celebrate The Queen's Nirthday, of course!

A squirrel keeps climbing on the kitchen window and we can't figure out what he's doing there.  He has been warned to stay away from the tomatoes.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Renai said:

It's not just him (unless it's early in the morning). The other neighbor that helps him smokes, the neighbor's brother who visits smokes,  and others when they visit. I don't understand why all this secondhand smoke is going around when they all know he has LUNG CANCER, for crying out loud! Besides that, he had a tumor in his back growing into one of his lungs, and found another tumor in his head. That probably has nothing to do with cigarettes, but the inconsideration all the way around is getting to me.

That's awful.  And makes it more awful for you and your peoples.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Renai, I'm sorry you have such a gross air situation right now that you can't do anything about. That is enormously frustrating and completely inconsiderate of the guy and all those others. 

A little edpo:

Quiet Boy and The Girl finished MP States and Capitals today. I never got around to doing math and writing with ASD Boy or school time with Captain because The Girl threw a hissy fit about doing math flashcards for over an hour. After that, I was so done! I also have decided I REALLY hate what I bought for Captain. It is so simplistic. Read and do the SAME THING everyday for 5 days? I have been making up pages to go with the 3 books we have done. We didn't like the other 3. Got any ideas? He likes doing pages like Big Siblings. I'm just so tired lately. I feel like all my creative energy is gone. Pulling things together on the fly used to be simple. If I choose to use school-in-a-box this year for the older 3, does that make me a bad home educator even if I really feel like it is the best path for us? I feel worn, not burned out.

I made oatmeal cookies with currents in them. The kids ate most of them before Scotsman got home. The turkey breast roast was delicious but the rice/gravy, and brown sugar buttered carrots were not enjoyed by kids. Captain actually gagged on the carrots and spit them out!

The weather is too hot to go out and enjoy the sunshine, but it tempts us looking outside. By the time it cools off enough, it will be constantly wet and rainy. I hate Houston.

Not a bad home educator at all.  I thought outsourcing was for wimps who weren't truly dedicated to homeschooling and all it's glory (back when my oldest was 7).  LOL.  Guess what?  I outsource a lot now for my high schoolers.  I have learned a lot about my weaknesses.  

19 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I bit my tongue figuratively.  Someone remind me that I WILL survive ds14.

Yes you will!  Rules!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

The REAL Star Wars! Rogue One is very, very good. 1-3 are blights on the Star Wars Universe. Just our lowly opinion. You guys may love them.

I *like* all of them but I *love* the original trilogy.  Probably because I grew up with them.  After we purchased them on VHS, my brother and I used to watch Episodes 4,5, and 6 every New Year's Eve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

Of course you will survive, silly. The question is,  will he?

Just send him to Auntie JJM’s Camp for Difficult Children.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

A little edpo:

Quiet Boy and The Girl finished MP States and Capitals today. I never got around to doing math and writing with ASD Boy or school time with Captain because The Girl threw a hissy fit about doing math flashcards for over an hour. After that, I was so done! I also have decided I REALLY hate what I bought for Captain. It is so simplistic. Read and do the SAME THING everyday for 5 days? I have been making up pages to go with the 3 books we have done. We didn't like the other 3. Got any ideas? He likes doing pages like Big Siblings. I'm just so tired lately. I feel like all my creative energy is gone. Pulling things together on the fly used to be simple. If I choose to use school-in-a-box this year for the older 3, does that make me a bad home educator even if I really feel like it is the best path for us? I feel worn, not burned out.

THAT's the feeling! Worn, not burned out. Tired. Then with Gymnast's energy and desire to be as contrary as possible, we decided part time school would be our path this year. So, technically, I'm not even a homeschooler any more. Do what you must.

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

I feel like I have eaten and eaten all day but never gotten full. Now I am now hungry again right after I brushed my teeth!

Are you pregnant?

18 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Just send him to Auntie JJM’s Camp for Difficult Children.

That would be, "Persnickety" Children.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  It’s Friday!

Dh is taking the day off.  Ds14 & dd16 have to pack for a mission trip  - they leave tomorrow. We never got to story time yesterday so I will try to do extra today.  Other than that I need to start cleaning out the lesson cubbies and work more on finding literature for history: 1600-1850. 

Coffee!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

You will survive ds 14. Mine still act like snapping turtles at fifteen, but I'm noticing fewer and fewer snaps as they get closer to 16. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely not a failure!  We do what we can.  During my busy, stressed time my kids did Time4Learning, and I only had two of them.   I'm spending part of my summer setting up plans that will hopefully make it easier for me to get through the school year while teaching my classes.   Past experience tells me it won't last the whole year, that I'll spend hours and hours doing elaborate plans and then they will fall apart by October, but I'm going to give it a go anyway.  

Back to the fair today.  Dd and I are going around noon-ish to bring ice packs for the snake.  I have to work the fair info booth from 4 to 7, dh and ds will get there around 4:30/5:00.   Not sure how long we'll stay.  There's fireworks tonight so I'll see if dd wants to stay even if dh and ds go home.  Kind of a pain taking two cars but works out well when we have different ideas about what to do.  Dd made a friend at fair.  She wore one of her Undertale cosplay outfits and this girl evidently recognized it and said something.  So, now dd wants to spend lots of time at fair since she has a friend there.   Ds actually wants to stay home tomorrow because it's his regular Saturday afternoon D&D online game.  I'm tempted to let him.   He doesn't have a lot of social activities and I think it's good for him.  Although he did play chess with the kid at the table next to us at fair yesterday.  Even won evidently and I didn't think he remembered how to play.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!!

Older two are doing a service project all day. There’s a place run by YWAM that takes peach and nectarine culls, cuts them, dries them, packages them and sends them worldwide to feed the hungry. Our church youth group goes once a summer to volunteer over there. It’s a good day for them.

I don’t know what i’m Going to do today. Housework, laundry, the Afsa. We’re leaving Sunday for Family Camp, so I need to get things ready for that.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Renai said:

That would be, "Persnickety" Children.

“Persnickety Children”. That’s it. I knew it wasn’t “Difficult Children” but I couldn’t remember what it was. Thanks Renai. You have a mind like a steel trap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yay!  What kind is it?

It's Finish gel pacs, "deep clean." They're orange liquid bubbles. 

This dishwasher was pretty awful. We have very hard water and the dws here don't have a garbage disposal, just a catcher that I have to clean. It stank in spite of various cleaners I've added and cleaning that catcher with a scrub brush. Now that catcher looks clean and the hard water crust is gone. 

• Like 5

It's HULA day!

Also, we had a water leak [insert long detailed story] which has resulted in having to have fans and tubes and stuff to suck the water out of the foundation of our house. In the room we just had painted and new flooring installed last November. Potentially, some of that flooring would have had to be replaced; we have extra, so there's that. But it looks like the floor is safe. There will need to be some insulation replaced, drywall patches, and painting. We're thankful that's all there is, but it's still a pain in the patootie.

That is all.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

“Persnickety Children”. That’s it. I knew it wasn’t “Difficult Children” but I couldn’t remember what it was. Thanks Renai. You have a mind like a steel trap.

Nah, it's in her signature, lol! (At least I remembered where to find it...)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

It's HULA day!

Also, we had a water leak [insert long detailed story] which has resulted in having to have fans and tubes and stuff to suck the water out of the foundation of our house. In the room we just had painted and new flooring installed last November. Potentially, some of that flooring would have had to be replaced; we have extra, so there's that. But it looks like the floor is safe. There will need to be some insulation replaced, drywall patches, and painting. We're thankful that's all there is, but it's still a pain in the patootie.

That is all.

Awww, Ellie. That totally stinks!!!

58 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Also, I have just joined a women's barbershop chorus. Woohoo!

That is awesome!!!

27 minutes ago, Renai said:

Nah, it's in her signature, lol! (At least I remembered where to find it...)

And you are a lot better at paying attention than I am!!😂😩

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Older kids are dropped off at their service project, the little girls and I went to the Afsa. 8:00 in the morning is a great time to go to the Afsa. Nobody is there. And I went down the Clearance Aisle and got some great bargains in 4th of July decorations. I’ll just put those away for next year.

• Like 5

Air is clear in the house this morning. Time to commence with the bookcase-clearing/cleaning and book-culling.

Since my car tire is flat, I'm stuck here and there is nothing else to do (I mean, besides all the other clutter in the house that needs work...)

• Like 6
  • Sad 1