• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Doing the Nile experiment—flooding and growing grass is fun. We also liked building aquaducts. Figuring out displaced mass (the story about the weight of the king’s Crown) also plays nicely. My ds was really into arms and armor this last go-around. He actually made a Bronze Age cast sword with a leather grip. There are a ton of things out there....let him play around and make a wish list!

• Like 1

Wow, Prairie, come teach my kids!  You make it sound like you have a blacksmithing fire-thingy...???

Critter, you make me appreciate my favorite books even more. It's neat to think you've already got a story to your name, just not polished and published yet. Yet!

Susan, your trip looks like sweaty, dirty fun. If my husband had seen the picture of yours, he would have beard envy.  :rolleyes:

Our rat is given gourmet treatment.  My son prepares a 4 course dinner. What can a rat do that could earn a 4 course dinner? He really needs to earn his keep. The rat and the son... Besides, who wants a rat? We don't even do maze experiments to test his smarty-pants-ness.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, learning123 said:

Wow, Prairie, come teach my kids!  You make it sound like you have a blacksmithing fire-thingy...???

Critter, you make me appreciate my favorite books even more. It's neat to think you've already got a story to your name, just not polished and published yet. Yet!

Susan, your trip looks like sweaty, dirty fun. If my husband had seen the picture of yours, he would have beard envy.  :rolleyes:

Our rat is given gourmet treatment.  My son prepares a 4 course dinner. What can a rat do that could earn a 4 course dinner? He really needs to earn his keep. The rat and the son... Besides, who wants a rat? We don't even do maze experiments to test his smarty-pants-ness.

Dh gets into a lot of conversations about beards!  He actually cut about 3 inches off a week or so ago.  We were definitely dirty in that picture!  Dd9 wore the same shorts for 3 days because she spilled a packet of smoked salmon over her other pair and we didn't want her hiking around the mountain forest smelling like salmon!  :laugh:

Dd9 has 3 rats - they don't get fancy meals though.  One of them has to be quarrantined during mealtime because he fights with the others over food.  Mr. Bossy McBossypants.  Our's don't earn their keep either.  There must be SOMETHING they can do...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

forges

Thanks. Boy, I sound smart, don't I? Or lazy. "Fire-thingy" was easy. Sunday's a day of rest, anyway, so there.:sleep:

But that sounds like a great learning experience- the kind homeschoolers are famous for~ Yay, other homeschoolers who do those fun and amazing learning activities! My kids are jealous!

30 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

There must be SOMETHING they can do...

Agreed. If you think of something let me know. Really. Sometimes I'm a little peeved that our animal life is so doted upon and yet so unproductive- other than the rat making a teen boy start to coo over it like a mama over her baby. It's actually cute. MAYBE worth it. But I'm not sure.

I'm not surprised that your husband takes his beard seriously. Mine does, too. They would get along very well. I like my husband's beard when it's short- like about 1/2 inch all around and it's rather a bone of contention since he really wants to grow his down to his-- well, frankly, to his toes, if it would grow that long. Anyway, he settles for mid-to-short depending on the season and whatever. He IS kind to me.

I can understand your dd9 not wanting to be bear fodder. But should I be embarrassed, if I've done the same thing? Camping is like that...at least in my family....oops. SOUND FUN!!! I WANT TO GO CAMPING!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I found the instructions in the activity guide. I'm saving it for the next round/whenever we feel like doing it, so we haven't done it yet, either.

Returning to lurking now, as I have nothing to contribute today.

Except these:????

What activity guide?

Good morning!

The beef brisket is in the slow cooker!  I've never made beef brisket before, so I'm hoping it turns out OK.  The recipe had me rub a spice mix on it last night and then make a bbq sauce for it to slow-cook in for 10 hours today.  We'll see.  Here's the recipe:  https://www.recipetineats.com/slow-cooker-beef-brisket-with-bbq-sauce/

Dh slept all night without coughing up a lung!

Coffee is ready!  ~D

• Like 3

I'm up, too, but no caffeine. I'll have some iced tea in a minute, which is close to caffeine. Or something.

Stinkin' hot today. I'm hoping that the weather gods are going to send us this hot hot weather and then mellow out for the rest of the summer. Wait...we aren't even officially in summer yet...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

It’s cool here right now, in the 60s, and I have long sleeves on.  Waiting for the sun to come out.  I was soooo happy yesterday when it was 86.  

60 perfect. 65 hot. 70 HOT. 86 swear word.

Need coffee to grammar things. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning. I slept for six and a half hours. Which is pretty good for still being barely able to move. Dh wanted me to take pain meds last night but I didn’t want to  chance it. It hasn’t even been two weeks since my body reacted spectacularly to the one mild pain med I am allowed to take. Being stiff and owie is preferable over that reaction. . (Which is tmi so I will leave it at that  )

So today you all have to force me to move. A lot. My body makes more of the owie chemicals like lactic acid than most and then doesn’t get rid of it. So I have to move and drink and move some more to make it leave my body. So far I haven’t found a magic pill to do it for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. I slept for six and a half hours. Which is pretty good for still being barely able to move. Dh wanted me to take pain meds last night but I didn’t want to  chance it. It hasn’t even been two weeks since my body reacted spectacularly to the one mild pain med I am allowed to take. Being stiff and owie is preferable over that reaction. . (Which is tmi so I will leave it at that  )

So today you all have to force me to move. A lot. My body makes more of the owie chemicals like lactic acid than most and then doesn’t get rid of it. So I have to move and drink and move some more to make it leave my body. So far I haven’t found a magic pill to do it for me. 

Is this from the fibro?

1 minute ago, Another Lynn said:

Part of me wants to take notes on these books, but mostly I think I just want to enjoy them.  But I don't remember as much as I probably should afterwards.  KWIM?

Anything meaningful enough to move you you will remember.

• Like 1