• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

14 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm looking at The Barkley Marathons.

1. People be crazy.

2. I'm never leaving home again.

Hmmm. Booya. 

That's where we were backpacking.  It was hard enough just hiking around those trails.  Running 5 marathons around it in a row?  No freaking way.  We couldn't even manage a fun run!  :laugh:  I do have a photo of us at the yellow gate at the end of our trip. It was a proud moment.

image.jpeg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

That's where we were backpacking.  It was hard enough just hiking around those trails.  Running 5 marathons around it in a row?  No freaking way.  We couldn't even manage a fun run!  :laugh:  I do have a photo of us at the yellow gate at the end of our trip. It was a proud moment.

image.jpeg

Fantastic photo! 

• Like 1

Imma bed. Edited, felt incredibly isolated and lonely, bawled, took my Benedryl and ought to feel better in the morning. Writers are just weird people. Moody devils. We ought to be kept on plenty of chocolate during editing. 

• Sad 4

Good late Sunday morning! A beautiful day in the neighborhood!

Church early, breakfast done. 

Lately, I am loving home. Now, I don't want to ever commit to anything except being at home. It probably won't last long, but I like this feeling.

I think we need to have something yummy baking in the oven. Any suggestions?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Three weeks until

Where are you submitting it? An agent, contest, publisher? Not to quibble, but I like hamburgers! What size and genre is the work? I'm curious!

Chocolate is great but I need a danish or somethin' I'm out of season, but oh well. Banana bread sounds good and it's easy....Hmmm.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, learning123 said:

Where are you submitting it? An agent, contest, publisher? Not to quibble, but I like hamburgers! What size and genre is the work? I'm curious!

Chocolate is great but I need a danish or somethin' I'm out of season, but oh well. Banana bread sounds good and it's easy....Hmmm.

It's going to an editor I hired to look at it. I've flunked out in every contest, and the agent hunt has kind of stalled for present, although I still have a partial out with an agent, and some agents haven't gotten back with me yet. It's Adult Fantasy, Rural setting, Alternate Southern history, and quite gritty. Currently sits at 118K, but I continue to trim away at the hedge to get it down to something that agents might accept from a beginning writer.

• Like 3

I am dying of so much death. It's insane. I'm staying home from church.

Matt's contemplating a Barkley Fun Run* as a fitness goal.

*This is doing one of the 5 loops from the main event. I believe it's what Susan did but with a time limit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

But then I wouldn't have to buy shoes.

Good point.  

Speaking of shoes.  Boys sneakers are so expensive these days!  

DS told me a few weeks ago that his sneakers were tight.  We took him to get new ones.  His old ones were size 5.  He measures a 6.5.  He went from being grumpy to having a big smile the rest of the trip.  Gee, I wonder why.  Oops.  LOL

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Good point.  

Speaking of shoes.  Boys sneakers are so expensive these days!  

DS told me a few weeks ago that his sneakers were tight.  We took him to get new ones.  His old ones were size 5.  He measures a 6.5.  He went from being grumpy to having a big smile the rest of the trip.  Gee, I wonder why.  Oops.  LOL

I know! I'm a firm believer in good shoes, too. Good shoes, good food, good insurance. Everything else can come from the dollar store. My kid's shoes are still under $40, but that won't last long.

Just now, Slache said:

I know! I'm a firm believer in good shoes, too. Good shoes, good food, good insurance. Everything else can come from the dollar store. My kid's shoes are still under $40, but that won't last long.

Part of it for us is DS is very specific about his sneakers because of his parkour/climbing.  So we do indulge.  But he’s fine with cheap, plain t-shirts from Walmart, so there’s some balance at least!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

Part of it for us is DS is very specific about his sneakers because of his parkour/climbing.  So we do indulge.  But he’s fine with cheap, plain t-shirts from Walmart, so there’s some balance at least!

Oh, I hadn't considered special needs. At least he's not into ballet! :svengo:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Oh, I hadn't considered special needs. At least he's not into ballet! :svengo:

I never thought of them as special needs, lol.  But yes!  He likes high tops for ankle support, and he always checks the traction to make sure he won’t slip and fall easily, that sort of thing.  He has rather specific requirements.  I won’t tell you how many stores were visited before the right shoe was found...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I never thought of them as special needs, lol.  But yes!  He likes high tops for ankle support, and he always checks the traction to make sure he won’t slip and fall easily, that sort of thing.  He has rather specific requirements.  I won’t tell you how many stores were visited before the right shoe was found...

This is going to sound bonkers. Have you looked into military grade boots? They are the perfect shoe. Like the actual *perfect* shoe. Fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

It's going to an editor I hired to look at it. Some people don't know a good story when they see it I've flunked out in every contest, and the agent hunt has kind of stalled for present, although I still have a partial out with an agent, and some agents haven't gotten back with me yet.

FTFY.

$hoe$! DS is in the last of the boys' sizes. 6.5 XW. Car seats and shoes were two categories of child-rearing I didn't think would be quite so expensive. Good thing he's cute. :wub:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I am dying of so much death. It's insane. I'm staying home from church.

Matt's contemplating a Barkley Fun Run* as a fitness goal.

*This is doing one of the 5 loops from the main event. I believe it's what Susan did but with a time limit.

Go for it, Matt!  He should try the Barkley Fall Classic before attempting a Fun Run.  Really.  A Fun Run is 3 laps.  We did not do a lap - we stuck to actual trails, and our elevation gain was a total of 4200 feet - each lap of the Barkley has about 12,000 ft elevation gain.

P.S. No Dying.

• Like 4

I'm watching the Barkley documentary in half the screen, looking at running sandals in the other half, lying in bed and eating chocolate.

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

A Fun Run is 3 laps.

That's just not Christian.

2 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I’ll suggest it to him for next time. ?

The emoji didn't show up on my computer but I hope it was a thumbs up. Amazing shoes!

4 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Three weeks until I submit my story to get it turned into hamburger. Hopefully to turn it into steak later. Sigh.

You're so brave.

I was once asked to write about my homeschooling experience for a small, local newspaper, so a short story, not a whole book. :-) By the time the editor was finished with it, I hardly recognized myself. Several of my friends who read it called and asked if that article was actually about me. Yes. It was.?

One hopes that your editors will do a better job, because I'm sure your story will be awesome and change the world of literature forever. ?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Ellie said:

You're so brave.

I was once asked to write about my homeschooling experience for a small, local newspaper, so a short story, not a whole book. :-) By the time the editor was finished with it, I hardly recognized myself. Several of my friends who read it called and asked if that article was actually about me. Yes. It was.?

One hopes that your editors will do a better job, because I'm sure your story will be awesome and change the world of literature forever. ?

The good thing is that this is a developmental edit. The changes will be mine to make. This time. 

• Like 2

I am writing, but it don't look like it. It looks very much like sitting on my butt, doing nothing. I am writing! I am! Working out a very, very, VERY tricky scene that has to do about fourteen different things at one time, integrate seamlessly with this story, segue into the sequel awesomely, and introduce no new information that hasn't already been hinted at, foreshadowed and otherwise made available to the reader, but the reader still has to feel surprised, intrigued and interested.

• Like 3

Wish me luck.  I’m about to try to retrieve some pdf curricula from my dying laptop.  So far it’s loud, and only seems to want to run a diagnostic.  No!  Just turn on so I can get my files, please.  I’ve already given up on the laptop.  I don’t care what the problem is.  Give me my files!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Wish me luck.  I’m about to try to retrieve some pdf curricula from my dying laptop.  So far it’s loud, and only seems to want to run a diagnostic.  No!  Just turn on so I can get my files, please.  I’ve already given up on the laptop.  I don’t care what the problem is.  Give me my files!!!!

Ugh. Every day I turn on my laptop, wondering if today will be the day. I've been backing up everything every evening. Just in case.

• Like 2

Just now, Critterfixer said:

Ugh. Every day I turn on my laptop, wondering if today will be the day. I've been backing up everything every evening. Just in case.

Yeah, when it started going downhill, I pulled off the stuff I was using.  I forgot about the McHenry chemistry stuff for next year, though.  ?

But I was able to get it running long enough to pull the file and a few others I had forgotten about.  Happy dance :party:

• Like 6

Edpo - Avert Thine Eyes Lest Thee Be Blinded

DS finally contributed to the question of “What History Shall We Study” and told me he wants to study Egypt and the Pyramids again.  While I wish he had chimed in months ago, I’m glad he’s finally communicating his desired path forward.  So Ancients it is.  I suggested Chicken Mummy (didn’t do it first time around) and he is super excited.  He wants to make a sarcophagus, too.  I think I disappointed him with the fact that we in all likelihood would not be able to get a whole chicken, head and feathers and all. 

So...

1.  Where do I get the directions for these chicken mummies the Hive is always talking about?

2. What other fun projects that go with Ancients did you all do?  Hits?  Misses?  Wish you had done?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I am writing, but it don't look like it. It looks very much like sitting on my butt, doing nothing. I am writing! I am! Working out a very, very, VERY tricky scene that has to do about fourteen different things at one time, integrate seamlessly with this story, segue into the sequel awesomely, and introduce no new information that hasn't already been hinted at, foreshadowed and otherwise made available to the reader, but the reader still has to feel surprised, intrigued and interested.

Is that all? Slacker.

bwaaaahaaaa

• Like 1
  • Haha 2