Menu

Ignore this thread!

Riders in the Sky!!

If you ever have the chance to see them perform, you Must Go! They were so awesome and funny! You might be interested to know that they sang "Woody's Roundup" in Toy Story, and are the only exclusively cowboy/western group to have won a Grammy, and they've won 2 - their 40th anniversary is next month!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-faHqmiVM

• Like 6

Three loads of laundry down, two to go. I’m not gonna make it, cap’n.

I think I’m getting sick.

:grouphug:

“We’re just going to do the bare minimum of school today.â€

Oldest: “ woohoo! Yes! No takebacks!â€

Second oldest: “are you sure this is okay, you know, for my education?â€

:svengo:

:laugh:

Wait a minute, I thought I just had to not die. This is raising the bar.

:svengo:

Riders in the Sky!!

If you ever have the chance to see them perform, you Must Go! They were so awesome and funny! You might be interested to know that they sang "Woody's Roundup" in Toy Story, and are the only exclusively cowboy/western group to have won a Grammy, and they've won 2 - their 40th anniversary is next month!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-faHqmiVM

Quit braggin! I've been jealous green since you mentioned going. I love Riders in the Sky.

• Like 3

AMJ--it's wonderful that he's willing to downsize and come to you.  This will be so much more manageable than trying to handle things from afar.

My advice? Call and get pricing and details now. Go on a couple of walk throughs. Some of the better facilities have long wait lists, and getting on the list now will make things easier for later. 

That is my plan.  I know of some places from when I searched before, and I can look further around here to see what else has come available.  I realized tonight that it has been more than 6 years when he first had me looking before.  I was still working my paycheck job when he first asked me to start looking.  The area has built up even more in that time, and I think there might be some "new" places that have been in operation for at least 5 years.

• Like 1

Well, I would love to do that, except that my mom is still in charge of my dad. So.... I basically have no say. Although I do tell my mom he shouldn't be driving. And she does agree with me.

My Dad's best buddy still alive is a retired judge.  I've always known I can contact Dear Bud if I ever need someone to check in on Dad.  While I haven't had to contact Dear Bud about Dad's driving (Dear Bud often drives Dad, and occasionally would ride with Dad driving somewhere, so he has been well aware of Dad's driving) I have called him about another matter when I was quite concerned about Dad, and he got right over there and straightened the situation out.  Dad responds well to authoritative men of his age group, and I am not ashamed to milk that advantage if needed.  Dear Bud got Dad to see sense when Dad wouldn't listen to me.

• Like 3

I'm both requesting and offering prayers for anyone's ds or dd taking the PSAT tomorrow.  Hoping their brains are turned on and focused in the morning and nothing keeps them from doing their best!  

Thanks!  Dd15 will be taking it for the second time.  Our church has a Christian school that offers it, so she will be in a comfortable setting with people she knows (and likes ;) ).

I told the teacher in charge of the testing to just count our family in for a long time.  Since I make my kids take the test in both 10th and 11th grades, and they're all two years apart, just sign us up for the next decade.  :)

• Like 4

Baby No Name is here! He’s much bigger than they expected at 6lbs 3oz and 19.25in. He’s healthy and cute. I had him right before 1pm. I think I went from “I feel nothing†and them casually giving me my future pain med options to him actually being here in less than 30min. It was crazy. No time for any meds. I’m so glad I don’t plan on doing that again.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   Hooray!  Welcome, Paigelet!

And Paige is well enough to actually get online and let us know how she is doing!  Hooray for her being well enough!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Rest now, and recupe.  We love you and are glad all is well!

• Like 2

For Susan:

22308596_10154816153496891_6165058235633

Me?  I am conflicted.

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

I showed it to DD13.  It's late.  She's tired.  She didn't have her glasses on.  She got it when I read it aloud to her.

• Like 2

So, learned about the Space Race (okay, not really, since we just watched a 4 episode documentary on the space race), the Cuban Missile Crisis, Broccoli did TKD and Celery read a book, then went to some Ham Radio and Technology Fair I just found out about this afternoon that was from 7-9pm (though we left at 8:30 or so), had dinner, learned about JFK's assassination and the Civil Rights Movement, and managed to get them to go to bed pretty easily (yes, it was late, but, that often doesn't make it easier). 

Good luck at the PSAT tomorrow (for anyone taking it)!

• Like 4

Trying to talk DW into all of us taking the (free) ham radio class in January. Only thing is that it's 27 min drive from home (at this time of night, so probably slightly longer during the time one'd actually need to get there). DW: isn't there a closer one? Me, googling... well, there's another club in the area that allegedly sometimes gives this class, but says in their most recent newsletter that it's a goal they haven't accomplished this year, but it's a 24 min drive to the south, and another one that's currently giving a more advanced class, but maybe sometimes gives the beginner class, that's 27 min to the east, and, that's it... might as well go 27 min to the north. And, this illustrates the joke of "walkable cities", at least here (there recently was a thread about people living in the city being healthier because cities are walkable, in case anyone here is wondering). The suburbs are where it's all at (and, in this case, the outer suburbs, or exurbs, or w/e they're called). 

Btw, I'm sure I could figure out this stuff without a class (once I find my book), but, a) accountability, b) ability to ask questions and hear other people ask questions is nice, even though technically one could do that on a forum, and c) I think the kids probably could get their licenses too (youngest kid ever was 5; Broccoli would be 7), but they'd probably benefit from a class rather than just me trying to struggle through a book with them, and d) I think it could be a fun family activity. 

• Like 3

And, this illustrates the joke of "walkable cities",

In case one is wondering, the closest one would be about a 13 mile walk (there... and then another 13 miles back). Which is walkable, yes... if you're training for a marathon. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

Trying to talk DW into all of us taking the (free) ham radio class in January. Only thing is that it's 27 min drive from home (at this time of night, so probably slightly longer during the time one'd actually need to get there). DW: isn't there a closer one? Me, googling... well, there's another club in the area that allegedly sometimes gives this class, but says in their most recent newsletter that it's a goal they haven't accomplished this year, but it's a 24 min drive to the south, and another one that's currently giving a more advanced class, but maybe sometimes gives the beginner class, that's 27 min to the east, and, that's it... might as well go 27 min to the north. And, this illustrates the joke of "walkable cities", at least here (there recently was a thread about people living in the city being healthier because cities are walkable, in case anyone here is wondering). The suburbs are where it's all at (and, in this case, the outer suburbs, or exurbs, or w/e they're called).

Btw, I'm sure I could figure out this stuff without a class (once I find my book), but, a) accountability, b) ability to ask questions and hear other people ask questions is nice, even though technically one could do that on a forum, and c) I think the kids probably could get their licenses too (youngest kid ever was 5; Broccoli would be 7), but they'd probably benefit from a class rather than just me trying to struggle through a book with them, and d) I think it could be a fun family activity.

Driving a half hour for me is normal. If it was something I wanted to do, I would do it.

• Like 5

Baby No Name is here! He’s much bigger than they expected at 6lbs 3oz and 19.25in. He’s healthy and cute. I had him right before 1pm. I think I went from “I feel nothing†and them casually giving me my future pain med options to him actually being here in less than 30min. It was crazy. No time for any meds. I’m so glad I don’t plan on doing that again.

:hurray: :party: BABINESS!!!

Congrats, Paige!

• Like 2

Hugs to all who need them.

Good lucks on any exams.

If you're writing to earn us Squillions, get some rest so you can get back to work bright and early tomorrow.

DS likes his new glasses.

I bought him some spray paint. It's for art. I had to show my ID. That irks me.

The crowd at the park was rowdy today, we were. :)

My mashed potatoes were too salty. The boys loved them.

My hip hurts. Boo. Maybe that cartwheel that didn't really look like a cartwheel was a bad idea...

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 6

Nope.  8:30 is when the dc get up -- so that schoolwork can start by 9:30.  I have a couple of poky little puppies in the morning.

And there is no chocolate.   :crying:

I replenished the chocolate stash last night. I have chocolate with peanut butter and chocolate with caramel.

• Like 5

Nope.  8:30 is when the dc get up -- so that schoolwork can start by 9:30.  I have a couple of poky little puppies in the morning.

Silly, Junie!  You should have gone with the time stamp on MY post, which is 5:28.  See?  Then you have ALL the time!  It's all a matter of perspective, my friend! :laugh:

Good luck to your son, BTW!  Must go feed ponies now, so DD can be at the school at 7:45!

• Like 5

Classes together can be fun, and many people learn better in a class.  It can also be a way to meet others who are interested in the same activity.  I recently had the four of us sit through a day-long class for Boater's Education.

• Like 2

I asked Dd if she wanted to do the PSAT this year. She said no. Due to the health stuff I didn't push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even think of it for DD16 (grade 10).  I guess I need to think about it for next year.

Another thing to add to the list....

• Like 2

Good Morning!!

I guess I should open my door and let the day begin.   :glare:

Good morning, everyone!  It is nice and cool outside this morning, so I sat outside for a few minutes, petting the cat and glancing through our weekly freebie newspaper.  By Friday it will be mid-90s and very humid again, and will stay that way through the weekend.  Sunday night or Monday morning we are supposed to get a cool front, one they claim just went through the Seattle area.

• Like 3

I've been interested in Ham radio for a while--mostly because it would be cool to have my own bat cave with all my interests in it. But if I do a class, it's going to be just me going. I think I'm kind of a selfish person, really. I like having my children and DH around, but when it comes to something I'm really interested in, I just want it to be me so I can focus entirely on what I want to learn and not have to think about everyone else while I'm learning.

But I did okay sharing the art class the other day. Probably because the instructor is really good with the boys and I literally can draw without having to worry a bit about whether or not they are paying attention or learning.

• Like 3

:grouphug:

I let DD16 sleep in this morning.  DD13 still got up at 6:30, and was disappointed to discover she was too late to wish Daddy a good morning.  He had to get to work early -- someone booked him into meetings from 7 AM to 4PM today.

The girls have a long art day today (morning art class, afternoon ceramics class, music lessons in the early evening).  While they are at their two art classes (same place) I will go see if I can visit a couple of assisted living places not too far away.

• Like 3

I replenished the chocolate stash last night. I have chocolate with peanut butter and chocolate with caramel.

The girls and I stopped at Baskin Robbins yesterday.  BR has gotten crafty.  If you buy one pre-pack quart of ice cream it is $6 and change, but if you buy two it is $9 and change.  Of course I bought two of peanut butter and chocolate.  DD16 got some hand-packed daquiri ice.  DD13 still had most of her quart from a previous run a few weeks ago, so she didn't want any more yet.  It's a good thing -- I had trouble fitting it all into the freezer.

• Like 3