Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Wednesday Morning!

(((Critter and Ikslo))) and anyone else who should have slept but didn't.

DD has biology lab this morning so we get to kill half the day doing that.   :glare:   

I think I bring this topic up at least once a quarter (at least in my head, if not actually in a post)....  what's your point of view about the child (or children) in your life who do not push themselves to do hard things?  How hard do you push them?  Or do you find some activity where they're willing to let someone else push them (have yet to find that....). Or do you find a path of lesser resistance for them - mostly referring to academics here - because that's just the way they "are."  

• Like 5

Good Wednesday Morning!

DD has biology lab this morning so we get to kill half the day doing that.   :glare:   

I think I bring this topic up at least once a quarter (at least in my head, if not actually in a post)....  what's your point of view about the child (or children) in your life who do not push themselves to do hard things?  How hard do you push them?  Or do you find some activity where they're willing to let someone else push them (have yet to find that....). Or do you find a path of lesser resistance for them - mostly referring to academics here - because that's just the way they "are."

Morning, Lynn. If you find the answer to your question, let me know. I am needing the answer myself lately.

I would say it completely depends on the individual child and I think even if I knew the child I probably wouldn't have an opinion. You have to respect individuality and acknowledge that just because they're your child doesn't mean you know everything about them. I would say open communication is extremely important here because I would be quick to assume laziness and that's not fair.

• Like 5

S!

L!

E E P!

We don't need you,

Wait and see!

C!

O F!

F E E!

You're our hero,

Yip yipeeeeeeee!

I wish. I finally coughed myself into a partial state of dreaming--not exactly sleeping--around five-thirty. When DH's alarm went off, I dragged myself to the bed and fell asleep. I woke up at seven-thirty for chores. Ended up coughing so hard I threw up in the yard whilst walking the dogs. 

So I'm back in a cool room, sipping black tea, with sugar, but no lemons. The good thing is that I have no fever. The bad thing is I don't see any sleep in sight for a week at this rate.

Ds3 says he "loves me toooooo much" and calls me his sweet baboo.    Tonight at bedtime when I teased him about how someday he won't want mommy night-night kissies anymore, he got really sad and pulled my cheek to his and told me, "No, never."  

:001_wub:

surprise.gif

• Like 4

:lurk5:

Morning, Lynn. If you find the answer to your question, let me know. I am needing the answer myself lately.

:iagree:

• Like 3

Good Wednesday Morning!

That's tough. On one hand, you want to see a student learn to their potential. On the other hand, you want them to have the ability in themselves to look at something and say, "good enough", or better yet, "not for me, thanks". 

Probably I take a look at my bare minimum for competence and have a frank discussion with the student about where that line should be and why. Also look at what may have to leave the schedule if that bare minimum is not reached.

I always have to seriously consider if I've set my standard too high. I've a bad habit of setting my expectations as the goal line, and then wondering why my "goals" don't get met. :laugh:

ETA: I would be careful about letting them think that this is just "the way they are." We are so much more than the span of our youth, KWIM? 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

I think my young cat was a saber-toothed guard tiger in another life. Lately, whenever anybody new comes to the door, or she thinks she hears something outside, she gets up in the window, puffs her tail and starts in on the most aggressive growls and posturing you ever saw. She's never attacked anyone, but she talks a line.

• Like 4

I think I bring this topic up at least once a quarter (at least in my head, if not actually in a post).... what's your point of view about the child (or children) in your life who do not push themselves to do hard things? How hard do you push them? Or do you find some activity where they're willing to let someone else push them (have yet to find that....). Or do you find a path of lesser resistance for them - mostly referring to academics here - because that's just the way they "are."

That's a tough one. I have no idea. My kids don't push themselves academically at all. I've tried and it's like pushing jello. So, for me, it's the path of least resistance. I figure I'll give them a "good enough" education and move on.
  • Like 5

If you scroll down a little bit in the replies, there's a picture with someone inviting the strippers, JFK[,] and Stalin (including a drawing of JFK and Stalin as strippers). Best argument against the Oxford comma, imo. Also, if you Google "young Stalin", he was actually quite good-looking as a young man. Totally would've rocked being a stripper (though, more of the male stripper type you might invite to a bachelorette party (note: I've never been to a bachelorette party)).

And, with all the English around this, I keep reading it as beer. Which you can also have (they make gluten-free ones, I think). 

That definitely works. 

I inflicted that sentence on the girls this morning, just as yet another example of the importance of the Oxford comma.  Before I even removed said comma they saw where I was going and started groaning in protest.  They are now complaining of having that idea in their mind.  I told them there's a picture I hadn't shown them, and they quickly objected to even the idea of seeing it.

Homeschooling is fun.   :D

• Like 4

I tried to go to sleep. At nine. I'd say that was a dismal failure. I've been trying to sleep all day, and it just isn't going to work for me. So I got up, made some decaf tea, and I guess I'll just write until I fall asleep sitting up, I guess.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yes, and I don't know how I missed it the first time and my beta missed it the second time. But I got it this time.

ETA: It's an insomnia Booyah!

Insomnia

Bubble and boil,

Trouble and toil,

The sound of the kettle at four

Insomnia bites,

And so I won’t fight,

I’ll just get up and write some more.

Random Musings

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

Every time I lay down, I start coughing. By sitting up, I cough less. But I can't sleep sitting up. At least DH is sleeping. I've heard him snoring several times.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   So been there.  Have you got a recliner, for partway between sitting and laying down?  Any chance a nap there could help?

Good Wednesday Morning!

I'm still trying to work that out, too.

• Like 1

I wish. I finally coughed myself into a partial state of dreaming--not exactly sleeping--around five-thirty. When DH's alarm went off, I dragged myself to the bed and fell asleep. I woke up at seven-thirty for chores. Ended up coughing so hard I threw up in the yard whilst walking the dogs. 

So I'm back in a cool room, sipping black tea, with sugar, but no lemons. The good thing is that I have no fever. The bad thing is I don't see any sleep in sight for a week at this rate.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

And on top of no sleep, I ran out of likes.

I really need something stronger for the cough. Sadly, I can't have what I need. If I took it, I would stop coughing, but I would be itching so badly it wouldn't matter. I still wouldn't sleep. I have a feeling I'm just going to have to tough it out, nap when I can and try to keep my temper in line with plenty of tea and chocolate.

However awful the cough is, my late night editing session finished up this round of edits. I met my goal (the realistic one) of 130K. I have eight chapters that I need to go back and comb for tangles. If I can dig out 5000 more words out of those eight, I'll be at the 125K I envisioned for this novel. :001_smile:

• Like 5

And on top of no sleep, I ran out of likes.

I really need something stronger for the cough. Sadly, I can't have what I need. If I took it, I would stop coughing, but I would be itching so badly it wouldn't matter. I still wouldn't sleep. I have a feeling I'm just going to have to tough it out, nap when I can and try to keep my temper in line with plenty of tea and chocolate.

Cough syrup with codeine is the only thing that works for me.

If I could just somehow activate my dormant superpowers and either kick this cough, or find a way to stay awake for a week without going bonkers, that would be a good thing.

ETA: It's a red-cape Booyah! Up, up and awake!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

That's tough. On one hand, you want to see a student learn to their potential. On the other hand, you want them to have the ability in themselves to look at something and say, "good enough", or better yet, "not for me, thanks". 

Probably I take a look at my bare minimum for competence and have a frank discussion with the student about where that line should be and why. Also look at what may have to leave the schedule if that bare minimum is not reached.

I always have to seriously consider if I've set my standard too high. I've a bad habit of setting my expectations as the goal line, and then wondering why my "goals" don't get met. :laugh:

ETA: I would be careful about letting them think that this is just "the way they are." We are so much more than the span of our youth, KWIM? 

Good points.  I'm okay with going to good enough.  (I longingly read suggestions from a "blue collar curriculum" blog this summer, lol).  I'm okay with good enough being semi-college prep and semi-not college prep (college prep can be difficult to nail down, imho - such a wide range....)

That's a tough one. I have no idea. My kids don't push themselves academically at all. I've tried and it's like pushing jello. So, for me, it's the path of least resistance. I figure I'll give them a "good enough" education and move on.

Yes.

I'm almost 50 and still lazy.

I worked hard in school.  I'm definitely lazier now.  And that's part of it.  I would like to find some sweet spot (perhaps non-existent) where she's self-motivated.  I'm tired of what *I* have to do to get her through her work.  (Oops, did I just reveal the gender of the child in question, lol.)  

Good morning.  I have a dental cleaning and exam this morning.  Do I have permission to kick the hygienist in the shins if she scolds me for not flossing enough? 

No kicking!

No biting!

That's what the bazooka is for.

• Like 6