Menu

Ignore this thread!

Today I'm going to try out my new toy - the "Scrubtastic" powered scrub brush. 

I'm also thinking about hiring someone in August to do a one day "deglutening" of my kitchen. 

I am also quite tempted to go gluten-free in our kitchen.

• Like 3

I am also quite tempted to go gluten-free in our kitchen.

Going gluten free to the level of someone who is gluten intolerant is pretty easy.  I'm finding that going gluten free to the level of someone with celiac is going to be much harder and much more expensive  I'm going to have to replace the toaster oven, some pans, the colander. . .   I've been told that I can salvage things like the Kitchenaid mixer if I clean it really well.  I hope so because those are expensive and the only reason I have one is because the ILs gave it to us years ago. 

• Like 6

"Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing; and we must bear in mind that growth, physical, intellectual, moral, spiritual, is the sole end of education.†― Charlotte M. Mason

• Like 5

Going gluten free to the level of someone who is gluten intolerant is pretty easy.  I'm finding that going gluten free to the level of someone with celiac is going to be much harder and much more expensive  I'm going to have to replace the toaster oven, some pans, the colander. . .   I've been told that I can salvage things like the Kitchenaid mixer if I clean it really well.  I hope so because those are expensive and the only reason I have one is because the ILs gave it to us years ago. 

I didn't replace my colander.   :leaving: In fact, we use it for both kinds of pasta every week.  I drain my gf pasta; then we drain the regular pasta right after it.  We wash it in the dishwasher.

• Like 7

This girl I know (well, she's middle aged now, I grew up with her) lives on an island off of Nicaragua with her SO. They operate a B&B. At times this seems really appealing to me and at other times I'm like....no.... I just don't think so.

I want to live that life! My family is too conventional, though. DH and most of the kids like to do normal things. DH is retiring, and when I told him we could move somewhere in Central America and live off his retirement instead of pursuing a 2nd high paying career/job in the US, they all looked at me like I was crazy.

Booya/h

Edited by Paige
  • Like 7

I want to live that life! My family is too conventional, though. DH and most of the kids like to do normal things. DH is retiring, and when I told him we could move somewhere in Central America and live off his retirement instead of pursuing a 2nd high paying career/job in the US, they all looked at me like I was crazy.

Yeah, see this gal doesn't have kids, either, so she doesn't have that to worry about. I taught school in Brazil for 2 years, and even though I lived on campus and was rather insulated from the ins and outs of managing every day life in that country, it was still kind of hard to get used to.
  • Like 2

I am suffering from ennui.  

Which is better (I think) than the mild panic attacks I usually get when our house is in disarray and too many unfinished projects are everywhere.  But not much better.  It is certainly not productive. 

I talked dh into moving the kids to the tiny basement to sleep until everything is done.  While I can handle sleeping on the couch, I need our master bedroom back, if only to have just ONE place that remains orderly and peaceful.  

• Like 7

I think that I'm screwed.  (Sorry for the language.)  I knew that I was getting low on one important med.  And normally I would have enough to get me through to when the refill comes in but when I called to order the refill, I found that the prescription had expired.  They will call the doctor but I know from experience that this will not be a super quick process especially since they won't even call until Monday because of course I discovered this on the weekend.  Sigh. 

• Like 1

Ejukashonal content.

I've finished my 1st grade mom binder/teacher... thing... Would you add anything?

2017/2018 at a glance. Includes holidays, birthdays and weeks off (we're attempting Sabbath schooling).

Term Log. This is a list of all possible school things we could do so I can cross off what we've done a la Quackers. #noh

Mom log. Bible reading, other reading, workout.

Content. Basically just a big blank page where I write down what we've covered.

A blank page for notes, a blank page for books completed, and a blank page for outings.

I already have a library system worked out so I don't need it in my binder.

• Like 4

:grouphug: Jean. Here's hoping they can expedite the process and get you your medicine as soon as possible.

De-glutening a kitchen can be done. I didn't need to be quite as strict for myself, but I still gave myself time to do it--throwing out flour, cleaning everything, stripping the shelves, going through everything and deciding what I thought I could decontaminate well enough to use and replacing the rest. It does take time, though. I did not throw out my mixer, but I did get a new colander. I also got new cake pans so that I could bake GF cakes and new bread pans for GF bread. I stripped and re-seasoned all my cast iron, too.

• Like 4

I am suffering from ennui.  

I am fixing to suffer from summer. It isn't bad today--lots of clouds and some rain. But I'm listening to a sound I actually love (cicadas in the trees) and thinking about the sun and really feeling that this may be the year that I have to go get antidepressants to help me through. I'm not sleeping well at night (very restless) and I already dread going outside to walk dogs and take puppies to the creek. 

Just once in my life, I'd like to half-way enjoy a summer. Sigh. :mellow:

• Like 1

I'd be worried about humidity & chemicals.

The room is about the size of a normal secondary bedroom and we'd have the laundry stuff on opposite sides from the crib, so a good 8-10ft away. And it has windows.

Maybe a fan would help? We moved the laundry room there when we moved in and I really don't want to move it back. (whine). I could put everything back on the main floor where it used to be but I don't want to because- stairs! 

• Like 3

How well-ventilated is it? I always feel like laundr rooms have a strong scent and a lot of fluff in the air, but maybe I'm extra sensitive or just know a lot of less than awesome housekeepers. As long as baby can't get into any chemicals, that would be my only concern.

Unless you were being sarcastic...can you tell I live in a 1,000 sq ft house? 😜

I never notice a chemical smell except for maybe a clean laundry smell. I don't use bleach often. 

I'm not sarcastic at all. I feel guilty, like he's poor Harry Potter under the stairs, but nowhere else seems like a better option at this point. 

• Like 3

:grouphug: Jean. Here's hoping they can expedite the process and get you your medicine as soon as possible.

De-glutening a kitchen can be done. I didn't need to be quite as strict for myself, but I still gave myself time to do it--throwing out flour, cleaning everything, stripping the shelves, going through everything and deciding what I thought I could decontaminate well enough to use and replacing the rest. It does take time, though. I did not throw out my mixer, but I did get a new colander. I also got new cake pans so that I could bake GF cakes and new bread pans for GF bread. I stripped and re-seasoned all my cast iron, too.

Yes, that's my plan.  And I do have some time before dd's August appointment to start on some of it.  But even on a good day, getting through just the basics is hard for me.  Adding on deep cleaning even one room will be tough.  And my mom and sister are coming to visit in August as well so I already feel stressed feeling like my house needs to be clean.  My house isn't ready for an episode of hoarders but it is embarrassing and dysfunctionally messy (because it actually interferes with our enjoyment of life).  And I have yet to get caught up in grading and we're no where near done with school and dd and ds are both having health issues and I'm in a flare today even though I'm not out of my one med and I have to prepare for my speaking engagement later this month and I need to prepare for teaching at camp in August and I realized that I will also have to pack/prepare all of dd and my food at camp and . . . .    :willy_nilly:

OK - enough whining.  Kitchen is "clean enough" for today's standards.  I helped dh load the car for a dump run so at least some of the crap in our house is gone.  Both kids are happy and occupied today so I can safely ignore them.  Dd went through her shoes at my request so we have a little less clutter in the shoe box. My "scrubtastic" scrub brush has charged so I'm going to go play with it in the bathroom. 

• Like 4

My uncle slept on the couch as a 6th grader and he turned out just fine.

Could you move closet stuff out of your room into there so baby could be in your closet?

Right now I have three kids in one room and one kid and almost all the toys and all the clothes in the other room. Oldest said she feels like Smaug atop his lair (she's in a lofted bed.)

No, we need our closet and the closet's in the bathroom. It's much smaller and darker than the laundry room. Maybe I'll take a picture. It's a mess now since we also use it as a junk/storage room, but it's actually a nice room. And it's connected to our room. The other possibilities are on different levels of the house.

I don't want baby to share with the other kids if I don't have to. They are all so much older that it doesn't seem fair. My only other DS will be 16 and shouldn't have a baby with him. The other girls just got their own rooms a year or two ago and would hate to lose them after being so excited to finally get one. All 3 of them shared a room for several years. 

I never notice a chemical smell except for maybe a clean laundry smell. I don't use bleach often. 

I'm not sarcastic at all. I feel guilty, like he's poor Harry Potter under the stairs, but nowhere else seems like a better option at this point. 

Having him share a space would not worry me.  I would worry about the lint and humidity and detergent.  I might worry a bit less if your detergent is liquid because at least there wouldn't be detergent dust floating around.  But I would also worry about mold or mildew possibly in damp areas. 

• Like 1

Yes, that's my plan.  And I do have some time before dd's August appointment to start on some of it.  But even on a good day, getting through just the basics is hard for me. 

Longer than that. It took me six months before I really felt I'd gotten everything out of there. So take it easy on yourself. One thing at a time.

• Like 2

No, we need our closet and the closet's in the bathroom. It's much smaller and darker than the laundry room. Maybe I'll take a picture. It's a mess now since we also use it as a junk/storage room, but it's actually a nice room. And it's connected to our room. The other possibilities are on different levels of the house.

I don't want baby to share with the other kids if I don't have to. They are all so much older that it doesn't seem fair. My only other DS will be 16 and shouldn't have a baby with him. The other girls just got their own rooms a year or two ago and would hate to lose them after being so excited to finally get one. All 3 of them shared a room for several years. 

Do you own your own home?  If you would put a wall/doors to shut off the washer/dryer from the baby, that might be a good solution.  But make sure there is good ventilation. 

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of having the baby in the laundry room. I'm sorry.

• Like 2

Paige -- I'd do it!  Especially as it is technically a bedroom anyway, and is connected to your room.  

I should add, however, that I've had 2 boys and 3 girls in one bedroom until today, and now I'm sending them all to the even smaller basement, where there are mice.   You should take my opinion with a fistful of salt.

• Like 1

I am fixing to suffer from summer. It isn't bad today--lots of clouds and some rain. But I'm listening to a sound I actually love (cicadas in the trees) and thinking about the sun and really feeling that this may be the year that I have to go get antidepressants to help me through. I'm not sleeping well at night (very restless) and I already dread going outside to walk dogs and take puppies to the creek. 

Just once in my life, I'd like to half-way enjoy a summer. Sigh. :mellow:

(((Critter)))

Unusual time for seasonal depression, right?  What causes it?

• Like 1

Unusual time for seasonal depression, right?  What causes it?

Sun. The great big yellow hateful thing. It's reverse SAD. I think I've probably had it all my life.

Imma go bake GF blueberry muffins in my cave-kitchen to distract myself.

• Like 4

How well-ventilated is it? I always feel like laundr rooms have a strong scent and a lot of fluff in the air, but maybe I'm extra sensitive or just know a lot of less than awesome housekeepers. As long as baby can't get into any chemicals, that would be my only concern.

Unless you were being sarcastic...can you tell I live in a 1,000 sq ft house? 😜

A potato after my own heart.  

#sevenducksin1100squarefeet

• Like 1

Sun. The great big yellow hateful thing. It's reverse SAD. I think I've probably had it all my life.

Imma go bake GF blueberry muffins in my cave-kitchen to distract myself.

I cannot like this. (Well, the muffin part is good. The SAD part is sad. )

Did you ever consider moving to someplace less......Arkansaucy?  Like New England?  Or Old England? 

• Like 3

So I overcame my ennui enough to move ds9's stuff out of the basement and then vacuum and deep clean and lay out sleeping bags for the kids.  And then I cleaned up the mess they'd made in my room, so I have my safe place again.   :001_wub:   I hope it's the right decision.  We really do have mice at this time of year (though so far all have been caught in the traps upon entry).  But it will be at least another week before the walls are finished and painted, and I don't think I can survive having the kids occupy my room the entire time.   Selfish mama slinking away.... :leaving:

• Like 5

Did you ever consider moving to someplace less......Arkansaucy?  Like New England?  Or Old England? 

I would miss my cicadas, my chuck-will's-widows, spring thunderstorms that sometimes gin up tornadoes, funny Octobers that turn into late summers, and things like that.

And black-out curtains are cheaper than living in New England or Old England.

• Like 4

Ejukashonal content.

I just tried reading this as "E-JUK-Uh-SHAWN-UL." 

Oh my word. I'm tired. 

Term Log. This is a list of all possible school things we could do so I can cross off what we've done a la Quackers. #noh

Slache or Quackers - could one of y'all PM me about this? 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 5

I made my son come help me with the muffins. He's GF, and so needs to be able to cook his own comfort foods for himself. I gave him my "make your wife happy by cleaning up your own mess in the kitchen" talk for the hundredth time. I think he's getting tired of hearing it.

• Like 5

We had a storm yesterday, too. It was nice earlier in the day, and we picnic'd by our house next to the river. https://drive.google.com/file/d/11vLdnpgVGAnxNGVHKilk7uOvLQrmtpVD4A/view?usp=sharing. Note how calm the ankle-deep water is. When it pans to the big tree, it's a cement bridge on the other side of that (you can barely make it out).

We went to the park later, and played in the river there as well. Around 2:30, the weather started getting a bit cooler, until right before 3pm we called it quits. About 4pm, the rain came crashing down. We went back to our picnic spot to see the river: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NyixwBNZ7p2UmjiHwhjbxSyuccJvurbJqQ/view?usp=sharing. Note the water going OVER the bridge now.

And here's the bridge: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ueXEGbD6FnWcRjlV8QvJGOlMV34vF7ttqw/view?usp=sharing

Don't take risks on treacherous roads! Or bridges!

• Like 3

I kind of want to join a gym. I just cannot get motivated, I think I need some accountability. I wonder what the childcare there looks like, if the kids would be happy there.

Plus, honestly, I am just so darn bored.

Get a free 3 day pass if possible. Then you and the spouts could get a good feel for it.
  • Like 1

I used to have one and loved it, but then dh's work schedule messed up my ability to go.

Also, it's $20/ mo, plus another $35/mo if I wanted childcare, so...not quite so bad.

That all sounds good. Would you be locked into a contract if it doesn't work out?